PDA

View Full Version : Teen Hits Head, Drowns In Quarry

nevadamedic
05-28-2007, 08:50 PM
MILFORD, Mass. -- A Framingham teenager drowned Sunday afternoon in a Milford quarry where swimming is prohibited.

Milford police said Brian Kerr, 16, had been swimming in the quarry at about 3:30 p.m. when he slipped and hit his head on rocks before falling into the water.

"He was walking down an incline, lost his balance, grabbed a tree branch and fell in," Milford police Chief Thomas O'Loughlin said. "He may have struck some of the granite on the side on his way down."

NewsCenter 5's Kelley Tuthill reported that his friends called 911 and the fire department dive team found his body in about 40 feet of water. He was pronounced dead at Milford Regional Hospital.

Police called the quarry unsafe and said swimming is not legal there.

" This is a dangerous area. Kids attempt to go swimming and this happens. It's a parent's worst nightmare," said O'Loughlin

Fire officials said the quarry behind Louisa Lake and an apartment complex is 120 feet deep in places and filled with underwater ledges that make diving and swimming dangerous.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/13398359/detail.html?subid=22100410&qs=1;bp=t

Parents should sue. If it is so dangerous it should have been drained.

JLO
05-28-2007, 08:53 PM
MILFORD, Mass. -- A Framingham teenager drowned Sunday afternoon in a Milford quarry where swimming is prohibited.

Milford police said Brian Kerr, 16, had been swimming in the quarry at about 3:30 p.m. when he slipped and hit his head on rocks before falling into the water.

"He was walking down an incline, lost his balance, grabbed a tree branch and fell in," Milford police Chief Thomas O'Loughlin said. "He may have struck some of the granite on the side on his way down."

NewsCenter 5's Kelley Tuthill reported that his friends called 911 and the fire department dive team found his body in about 40 feet of water. He was pronounced dead at Milford Regional Hospital.

" This is a dangerous area. Kids attempt to go swimming and this happens. It's a parent's worst nightmare," said O'Loughlin

Fire officials said the quarry behind Louisa Lake and an apartment complex is 120 feet deep in places and filled with underwater ledges that make diving and swimming dangerous.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/13398359/detail.html?subid=22100410&qs=1;bp=t

That is SAD!

shattered
05-28-2007, 08:56 PM

Where the f*ck do you get "parents should sue"? What part of "swimming is prohibited" is so damned hard to understand? 15yr old kids can read - they just think they're going to be badasses and get away with everything.

It's not the quarry's fault. It's the kids fault, and quite possibly the parents for not instilling the common sense of obeying rules.

shattered
05-28-2007, 08:58 PM
Incidently, you're STILL not allowed to post an article in its entirety, even if you link to it. You're still violating copyright laws.

manu1959
05-28-2007, 08:59 PM

sad....can't win the lawsuit.....private property...probably fenced and posted......common knowledge that it is dangerous....

Hugh Lincoln
05-28-2007, 09:02 PM

Typical liberal reaction. It's a tragedy so... it must be worth millions, so we can "send a message" to the evil company that... was doing business? Yeah, that's it!

nevadamedic
05-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Where the f*ck do you get "parents should sue"? What part of "swimming is prohibited" is so damned hard to understand? 15yr old kids can read - they just think they're going to be badasses and get away with everything.

It's not the quarry's fault. It's the kids fault, and quite possibly the parents for not instilling the common sense of obeying rules.

it doesn't matter, if someone can sue McDonalds for burning themself with coffee and win they a parent can sure a quarry for a kid drowning, even if a no swimming sign is posted. Also One of the llakes I life guarded at had a part of the lake that was really rocky and they state had no swimming signs posted and someone jumped off one of the rocks into shallow water and broke his leg and sued the state and won. Just because a sign is posted doesn't mean you cant sue.

shattered
05-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Typical liberal reaction. It's a tragedy so... it must be worth millions, so we can "send a message" to the evil company that... was doing business? Yeah, that's it!

No shit..

Only problem? He claims more Republican tendencies...

shattered
05-28-2007, 09:05 PM
it doesn't matter, if someone can sue McDonalds for burning themself with coffee and win they a parent can sure a quarry for a kid drowning, even if a no swimming sign is posted. Also One of the llakes I life guarded at had a part of the lake that was really rocky and they state had no swimming signs posted and someone jumped off one of the rocks into shallow water and broke his leg and sued the state and won. Just because a sign is posted doesn't mean you cant sue.

That is truly pathetic, and it's attitudes like yours that are the reason our society is so completely and utterly screwed up.

How about just taking responsibility for oneself, and ones own actions, rather than continually looking for a free ride due to your own complete stupidity?

manu1959
05-28-2007, 09:06 PM

the quarry is private property....kid broke the law.....he assumed the risk at that point.......in your case the sign should have said no jumping or diving and fenced it off.....

nevadamedic
05-28-2007, 09:17 PM
the quarry is private property....kid broke the law.....he assumed the risk at that point.......in your case the sign should have said no jumping or diving and fenced it off.....

Doesn't matter if its private property, you can still sue. There was a case here recently where someone broke into a house and ended up falling and breaking his arm, he won the suit. That was provate property too, and he entered illegally.

manu1959
05-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Doesn't matter if its private property, you can still sue. There was a case here recently where someone broke into a house and ended up falling and breaking his arm, he won the suit. That was provate property too, and he entered illegally.

i can sue you for being anoying.....doesn't mean i will win.....

and if you are going to make claims, links to the cases would be good....further if the house the dude was robbing was unsafe then the outcome of that case wouldn't surprise me.....

shattered
05-28-2007, 09:21 PM

So, you just recommend people sue because they can?

Man, that's worth another stupidity ding. You're going to lose ground here REAL fast.. All those rep points you're trying to build up as fast as you can by posting bullshit "clapping hands" are going to come back to bite you in the ass.

glockmail
05-28-2007, 09:47 PM

Bullshit. I grew up around there and everyone knows its a bad place to swim. I've never been there, but heard a lot of stories- fools bragging. Kids used to do all kinds of shit like jump off high cliffs.

Our swimming hole was a legit pond, and kids would still do stupid things, like climp 40' up a willow tree and jump from there. I heard a story that one kid went feet first and got so stuck in the mud, his head just under water, and drowned.

Pale Rider
05-28-2007, 09:47 PM

This ain't good man. I'll tell ya what, you break into my house and I have the legal right to put a bullet in your skull, and *I'LL* win.

You're sounding more like liberal trial lawyer john edwards than any conservative I know.

shattered
05-28-2007, 10:23 PM
This ain't good man. I'll tell ya what, you break into my house and I have the legal right to put a bullet in your skull, and *I'LL* win.

You're sounding more like liberal trial lawyer john edwards than any conservative I know.

It's easy when he's not the one footing any portion of the bill for frivolous lawsuits. Yet another thing WE pay for.

emmett
05-28-2007, 11:04 PM

Pale Rider 4 President!