PDA

View Full Version : Off to my sons school

jimnyc
01-03-2013, 02:19 PM
We just received an automated message from the school district. They caught a guy wandering the school grounds today - who had a gun on him. While they supposedly have him in custody, all after school events have been canceled and they will have a large police presence when school goes in and gets out, both today and tomorrow. This is going to be a royal mess getting in and out of his school, and he doesn't even know I'm coming to get him instead of letting him walk. I suppose it's good to know that they somehow got this guy into custody. I need to find out more about this. I suppose it could be some kind of false alarm, but outside of police, only an idiot would walk onto school grounds with a gun right now.

darin
01-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Good luck with everything, Jimbo

NightTrain
01-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Glad they nabbed him.

Let us know what the deal was!

jimnyc
01-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Here is an email they sent out, followed by a link to an article about it. Now we have helicopters flying overhead. Sounds "innocent", but they DO NOT have this guy in custody from what I am reading...

Notification from: Mamaroneck Union Free School District

THIS IS TO INFORM YOU THAT ALL OF OUR SCHOOLS HAVE GONE INTO LOCK-OUT MODE WITHIN THE PAST HOUR. JUST A WHILE AGO, A SUSPICIOUS MALE ATTEMPTED TO ENTER THE LOCKED SIDE DOOR OF THE HOMMOCKS POOL ENTRANCE. WHEN ASKED TO PROVIDE HIS ID, THE CAMPUS SUPERVISOR NOTICED THAT HE APPEARED TO BE HOLDING A GUN UNDERNEATH HIS COAT AND ASKED THE INDIVIDUAL IF HE WAS CARRYING A WEAPON. THE INDIVIDUAL RESPONDED THAT HE WORKS IN THE SECURITY FIELD AND ACKNOWLEDGED THAT HE WAS ARMED WITH A GUN. WHEN TOLD HE COULD NOT REMAIN ON SCHOOL GROUNDS, HE IMMEDIATELY LEFT THE BUILDING. POLICE WERE CALLED AND RESPONDED IMMEDIATELY. AT THIS POINT, THERE IS A POLICE PRESENCE AT ALL OF OUR SCHOOLS. WE ASK THAT YOU DO NOT COME TO PICK UP YOUR CHILD UNTIL THE END OF THE SCHOOL DAY. AS A PRECAUTIONARY MEASURE, WHILE THE POLICE INVESTIGATE, WE ARE CANCELLING ALL AFTERNOON AND EVENING ACTIVITIES AT ALL OF OUR SCHOOLS. WE EXPECT TO HAVE A POLICE PRESENCE AT THE START OF THE DAY TOMORROW.
WE’LL CONTINUE TO KEEP YOU UPDATED ON THE SITUATION. THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION.

And this:

http://www.lohud.com/article/20130103/NEWS/301030090/Police-Man-gun-prompts-Mamaroneck-schools-lockout-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage

gabosaurus
01-03-2013, 03:40 PM
This guy is either absent minded or incredibly stupid. Even if he is telling the truth, how dumb do you have to be to be carrying a gun on a school ground this soon after the Connecticut shootings? And as close as Jim lives to the site.

aboutime
01-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Jim. Do you honestly not see, or feel any suspicions about the NEWSPAPER reporting this? The same paper that released the names, and addresses of those Retired, and Active New York City Police officers, and their families????

jimnyc
01-03-2013, 03:55 PM
Got my son home here and all is cool and safe. I'd feel better if I knew exactly who this guy was and a further explanation as to whether or not it was a dumb move, or someone lying about their intentions. I'm assuming they are still being very cautious and looking, as the roads are inundated with police and all you can hear is helicopters circling around (although they are probably news related too). Having this happen, sending info to our phones and emails, and such a huge police presence is all fine and dandy, but it's a bit edgy that this idiot was able to do so and then walk away and into the unknown.

jimnyc
01-03-2013, 03:57 PM
Jim. Do you honestly not see, or feel any suspicions about the NEWSPAPER reporting this? The same paper that released the names, and addresses of those Retired, and Active New York City Police officers, and their families????

Good catch, it was the same paper! Their politics are for shit obviously, but they are our largest paper in this area. I'm sure much more media is covering it, but this was the one I went to immediately as they are the most local. IMO, the politics of the majority of the papers here in NY suck. It's on the local TV here too, but can't link to that!

jimnyc
01-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Here's another, a much larger media:

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/northern_suburbs&id=8940921

gabosaurus
01-03-2013, 04:02 PM
The news media love this crap. Look how they have been beating the Conn. shooting thing to death.
Worst thing is that this only entices the kooks who need attention to do something stupid.

Kathianne
01-03-2013, 04:05 PM
I'm glad everything seems to be ok, now. That was too weird, one might think it was a reporter or someone 'thinking' they're a reporter to see how 'security' really is measuring up?

Marcus Aurelius
01-03-2013, 04:10 PM
glad all worked out for you and yours, Jim.

On a similar note, there was an automated phone call in my school district a few days after the CT shootings. Apparently there was a rumor circulating in the HS about a student coming in armed. It was investigated by the school and police, and determined to be a false rumor. Thankfully.

aboutime
01-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Here's another, a much larger media:

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/northern_suburbs&id=8940921

Jim. I apologize for being so suspicious but. DIDN'T THE CAMERA SYSTEM SEE THE GUY? And why hasn't anyone described him?

I Just refuse to trust any local news, tv, or paper in that area. The media and this paper need GOOD headlines, and reasons to backup their publishing of the names. NOTHIN MORE.

NightTrain
01-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Sounds like he was up to no good.

Hope they got some footage of him on video surveillance so they can nail his ass.

Kudos to your son's school for being on top of things.

mundame
01-03-2013, 04:22 PM
I think you've got a serious situation there and it is clear your school system is taking it very seriously. An armed man not known to the staff member who saw him tried to get into the school through a side door? Hiding a gun under his coat? Ho, boy, I wouldn't shrug that off.

I'm reading "The Copycat Effect" by Loren Coleman, which says that all well-publicized murder rampages and suicides are incredibly contagious and pretty much always have imitators. Always have, always will.

The fundamental problem (besides that some people have weak minds) is the publicity. The less publicity, the fewer copycats. The more publicity, like Newtown, the more imitators, usually for years.

jimnyc
01-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Sounds like he was up to no good.

Hope they got some footage of him on video surveillance so they can nail his ass.

Kudos to your son's school for being on top of things.

That's what I'm hoping for, that either CCTV or someone else recognized him.

NightTrain
01-03-2013, 04:25 PM
I think you've got a serious situation there and it is clear your school system is taking it very seriously. An armed man not known to the staff member who saw him tried to get into the school through a side door? Hiding a gun under his coat? Ho, boy, I wouldn't shrug that off.

I'm reading "The Copycat Effect" by Loren Coleman, which says that all well-publicized murder rampages and suicides are incredibly contagious and pretty much always have imitators. Always have, always will.

The fundamental problem (besides that some people have weak minds) is the publicity. The less publicity, the fewer copycats. The more publicity, like Newtown, the more imitators, usually for years.

Agree 100%!

jimnyc
01-03-2013, 04:26 PM

I agree, even if it was somewhat innocent and no harm intended, I'm glad to see the school and police are treating it like a "lockdown" and leaving out no resources.

NightTrain
01-03-2013, 04:29 PM
I agree, even if it was somewhat innocent and no harm intended, I'm glad to see the school and police are treating it like a "lockdown" and leaving out no resources.

There can't be anyone that stupid to go to a school armed... especially after CT.

Kathianne
01-03-2013, 04:30 PM
That's what I'm hoping for, that either CCTV or someone else recognized him.

Obviously the fact that he was confronted at a locked door means that he was spotted by some sort of visual means. My guess he was seen on video, someone went to check it out. From what I read was a 'pool entrance?' Was it a glass or solid door? I know that most high schools do NOT have glass entry doors in any but 'athletic entrance' of the schools.

mundame
01-03-2013, 04:34 PM
This guy is either absent minded or incredibly stupid. Even if he is telling the truth, how dumb do you have to be to be carrying a gun on a school ground this soon after the Connecticut shootings?

This is no absent-mindedness. The school email said he tried to get in through a locked side door; that he did not provide ID; that he was HOLDING a gun HIDDEN underneath a coat.

This guy was there to kill people. The police have drawn the same conclusion, that's why all the hoopla and lockdown and helicopters. They seriously need to identify this guy so they can lock him up.

jimnyc
01-03-2013, 04:35 PM
There can't be anyone that stupid to go to a school armed... especially after CT.

Unless they have a few screws loose, and those are the type who do weird shit and go off the deep end. I think schools need to remain VERY vigilant and to MANY proactive decisions going forward, with security and such.

Obviously the fact that he was confronted at a locked door means that he was spotted by some sort of visual means. My guess he was seen on video, someone went to check it out. From what I read was a 'pool entrance?' Was it a glass or solid door? I know that most high schools do NOT have glass entry doors in any but 'athletic entrance' of the schools.

That's what I'm hoping, that these school will at LEAST lock all doors but the main entrance, and even that at times, and have a thousand cameras around the place to ensure no one can get in without being seen.

jimnyc
01-03-2013, 04:37 PM
This is no absent-mindedness. The school email said he tried to get in through a locked side door; that he did not provide ID; that he was HOLDING a gun HIDDEN underneath a coat.

This guy was there to kill people. The police have drawn the same conclusion, that's why all the hoopla and lockdown and helicopters. They seriously need to identify this guy so they can lock him up.

I think they are treating it exactly as you say, but there is a possibility that it is some security idiot who felt that he was entitled to carry wherever he went. The school has several olympic sized pools, somewhat open to the public on weekends. So it IS possible that he swam there and left something behind. But going to the school, while in session, with a weapon.... Just plain stupid and probably deserving of a few charges at the bare minimum even if it was an honest mistake.

Kathianne
01-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Unless they have a few screws loose, and those are the type who do weird shit and go off the deep end. I think schools need to remain VERY vigilant and to MANY proactive decisions going forward, with security and such.

That's what I'm hoping, that these school will at LEAST lock all doors but the main entrance, and even that at times, and have a thousand cameras around the place to ensure no one can get in without being seen.

I'm sure all doors are locked, that happened with Laurie Dann shooting. Schools that have 'an open front entrance, have second set of locked doors. Only entry is by office allowing entry-they visually check before buzzing. At all the schools I've been in for more than 20 years now, there's a decal on inside of locked doors ordering 'no entry of outside' by students or staff, entry through administrative area only.

jimnyc
01-03-2013, 08:50 PM
Here is the latest, this being an email from the schools superintendent. While it appears they have not identified the guy, they are taking it very seriously...

Dear Parents:

The Town of Mamaroneck police department continues its investigation following up on leads and seeking to identify the individual who entered Hommocks Middle School earlier today with a purported gun. We are thankful that this individual, when approached and questioned by our brave campus supervisor, left quietly and that some of the immediate safety measures we have put in place since the Newton tragedy (such as limiting school access; additional staff training and revised visiting protocol) were working today.

I met late this afternoon with our entire group of administrators from all six of our school buildings to discuss today’s events and reinforce our emergency procedures. Each of them spoke positively about the professionalism and responsiveness on the part of school staff members to secure our buildings and reassure our students.

Tomorrow, Friday, we will continue to limit access to our buildings as we have been doing and remind you to follow your school’s arrival and dismissal procedures. We plan to resume the day as usual, with our students focused on learning and feeling safe in their school environment.

While our goal is to provide effective communication within a reasonable time period during an emergency, our primary responsibilities are to secure, investigate and respond as a particular situation requires. In your effort to support our work, we appreciate your full cooperation in following instructions we provide. Each scenario calls for a different plan, and, as was underscored today, it is not always in the best interest of students and staff to start immediately dismissing students.

Dr. Weitzman plans to speak with all middle school students tomorrow about the incident that occurred today and will reassure the students that the adults in their life are there to help make sure they remain safe. As always, the counselors at all of our schools are available to speak with any parents who have concerns.

We’ll continue to work closely with the police in all three of our district’s municipalities. The police will have a visible presence at our schools throughout the day tomorrow.

We are aware of the heightened sensitivity and emotion around school safety and will further our work to ensure that our immediate action steps are being followed consistently and consider some longer-term safety measures.

I’ll be back in touch by day’s end tomorrow with any additional updates.

mundame
01-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Both NBC and Fox are covering this event, if you look up Mamaroneck on Google News.

The guy said he left something at the pool over the weekend (of course, it's Thursday now....). If so, they hopefully should be able to track him down; surely someone would know a security guard who was swimming in that pool this past weekend.

However, copycat killings are so very common that I am dubious this has an innocent explanation.