PDA

View Full Version : Denny's Manager: Customer saw gun - you must leave the restaurant (to COPS)

darin
01-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Unreal.

http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=33459

Five on-duty but out of uniform detectives were in the middle of their meal at the Denny’s. The restaurant chain said a customer spotted one of the officers carrying a gun and alerted the manager. The manager told the detective she would have to leave or secure the gun in her car, that guns are not allowed in Denny’s. Even after the officers explained they were cops they were still told they could not carry their weapons in the business. Captain Sax said, “I’ve never known anybody that didn’t want a police officer present in an establishment in a business it’s added security it’s absolutely what they want.”

tailfins
01-03-2013, 02:31 PM
Unreal.

I bet if there is a call to that restaurant, other calls will take a higher priority. McDonald's used to not even charge cops for their meal.

fj1200
01-03-2013, 03:09 PM
IF they have that policy, there's no exception for on duty officers? :slap:

logroller
01-03-2013, 03:50 PM
I bet if there is a call to that restaurant, other calls will take a higher priority. McDonald's used to not even charge cops for their meal.
I've no doubt that happens, but that borders on corruption.
Discounts I can understand, but free is tantamount to bribery.

IF they have that policy, there's no exception for on duty officers? :slap:
So long as their badge is visible, seems an exception would be warranted.

gabosaurus
01-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Denny's has been backpedaling ever since. But I am guessing that the damage has been done.
In the area I grew up, police officers got free coffee and drink refills at 7-11. A small donut place gave police officers free coffee and a donut.

I have never been to Denny's. They are well known for discriminatory practices.

aboutime
01-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Unreal.

dmp. That manager must like chasing customers away. If I was one of those cops. I'd say..."Fine. We'll leave. And...by the way. We'll tell the rest of the DEPARTMENT not to stop here. Thank you very much."

tailfins
01-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Denny's has been backpedaling ever since. But I am guessing that the damage has been done.
In the area I grew up, police officers got free coffee and drink refills at 7-11. A small donut place gave police officers free coffee and a donut.

I don't know about their discriminatory practices, but their food tastes like frozen then thawed.

Little-Acorn
01-03-2013, 04:06 PM
If you have a silly rule about "no guns in this restaurant", who says there has to be any limit to the silliness?

Such rules, of course, are obeyed only by the law-abiding, leaving criminals free to bring in guns, assault people, even murder people etc. Most mass shootings you've heard of, take place in these silly "gun free zones", including Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut, the theater in Aurora, CO, and others. Criminals prefer them for obvious reasons.

I've always been curious:

If some store owner puts a "no guns" rule in place at his store (as is his right), and some crook violates it, brings in a gun, and shoots somebody... does the store owner assume responsibility for the customers' safety since he forbade them to bring the tools to defend themselves?

Or do the customers themselves still have the responsibility, since no one forced them to go into that store, they did it voluntarily? Meaning, the store owner is giving customers the choice between giving up their ability to defend themselves against that crook, or never patronizing that store at all?

Thunderknuckles
01-03-2013, 04:09 PM
It's not all that bad. There's plenty of fake cop robberies that happen to make me nervous like the manager. We had some fake cops robbing people in their homes a little while back in my neck of the woods. Discussed it with my wife and told her never let anyone in the house. If they say they are cops, get their badge numbers and call the PD to verify before opening the door. Which is what I would have done with the detectives at the Denny's.

fj1200
01-03-2013, 04:13 PM
If some store owner puts a "no guns" rule in place at his store (as is his right), and some crook violates it, brings in a gun, and shoots somebody... does the store owner assume responsibility for the customers' safety since he forbade them to bring the tools to defend themselves?

No, we're always told it's the fault of the criminal right?

darin
01-03-2013, 04:28 PM
No, we're always told it's the fault of the criminal right?

No, we are always told it's the fault of whatever method the criminal used. It's not - NEVER a human depravity problem. We're "Evolved" right? :-/

Kathianne
01-03-2013, 04:35 PM
If you have a silly rule about "no guns in this restaurant", who says there has to be any limit to the silliness?

Such rules, of course, are obeyed only by the law-abiding, leaving criminals free to bring in guns, assault people, even murder people etc. Most mass shootings you've heard of, take place in these silly "gun free zones", including Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut, the theater in Aurora, CO, and others. Criminals prefer them for obvious reasons.

Or do the customers themselves still have the responsibility, since no one forced them to go into that store, they did it voluntarily? Meaning, the store owner is giving customers the choice between giving up their ability to defend themselves against that crook, or never patronizing that store at all?

That is exactly what happened at Luby's, I think it was Jim that posted a video by the daughter of two of the victims, testifying at a Congressional Committee hearing.

fj1200
01-03-2013, 04:43 PM
No, we are always told it's the fault of whatever method the criminal used. It's not - NEVER a human depravity problem. We're "Evolved" right? :-/

Right, sorry. I meant from the pro-2nd people.

jimnyc
01-03-2013, 04:51 PM
I think Log may be on to something about the visibility. I admit I have no read the entire article. Did they KNOW this was a police officer? Could she have just wore ID or a badge and remained with her weapon? Even after the ID was known, Denny's wouldn't make a concession for police officers? I'll have to read more about this. But if they stand their ground on this issue, I hope cops then boycott their restaurant. I think this is a pretty stupid decision.

Marcus Aurelius
01-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Unreal.

Most off duty police are REQUIRED to have a weapon on their person. No idea what this Denny's manager was thinking.

Kathianne
01-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Local report:

http://kplr11.com/2013/01/02/belleville-police-banned-from-dennys/

BELLEVILLE, IL (KTVI)– The Belleville Chief of Police has banned his officers from eating at the local Denny’s restaurant while on duty after an incident at the establishment New Year’s Day. A manager at the Denny’s Tuesday told a group of officers they could not eat at the restaurant if they were armed. Belleville Police Captain Don sax said, “It’s absolutely a slap in the face I totally agree it’s completely disrespectful. How can anyone think to tell a police officer you can’t be in here with your gun its absurd to me.”

Sax said the police had their badges in full view, either by their handguns or they were wearing them around their necks. Plus, portable police radios were on the table. A second manager showed up and told the officers they could stay with their weapons. But, the detectives left anyway. Captain Sax added, “They had been harassed enough they have been embarrassed more than enough.”

Local citizens like Jennifer Veri support the police, Veri said, “You want them to be with their guns that makes them cops so they can protect the public.”

Denny released a statement that said in part “Denny’s policy permits law enforcement officials to carry their firearms in the restaurant and we regret any misunderstanding.”

Some people plan to stay away from Denny’s just like the police. Eric Veri said, “I won’t go to Denny’s until they resolve it with the Belleville Police Dept. they are working out here hard for us definitely support them.” The police chief wants to sit down with Denny’s officials and resolve the matter. He planned to handle the matter discreetly but it became public on the internet and spread quickly. Officers will go to Denny’s if they receive a service call.

Marcus Aurelius
01-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Local report:

BELLEVILLE, IL (KTVI)– The Belleville Chief of Police has banned his officers from eating at the local Denny’s restaurant while on duty after an incident at the establishment New Year’s Day. A manager at the Denny’s Tuesday told a group of officers they could not eat at the restaurant if they were armed. Belleville Police Captain Don sax said, “It’s absolutely a slap in the face I totally agree it’s completely disrespectful. How can anyone think to tell a police officer you can’t be in here with your gun its absurd to me.”

Sax said the police had their badges in full view, either by their handguns or they were wearing them around their necks. Plus, portable police radios were on the table. A second manager showed up and told the officers they could stay with their weapons. But, the detectives left anyway. Captain Sax added, “They had been harassed enough they have been embarrassed more than enough.”

Local citizens like Jennifer Veri support the police, Veri said, “You want them to be with their guns that makes them cops so they can protect the public.”

Denny released a statement that said in part “Denny’s policy permits law enforcement officials to carry their firearms in the restaurant and we regret any misunderstanding.”

Some people plan to stay away from Denny’s just like the police. Eric Veri said, “I won’t go to Denny’s until they resolve it with the Belleville Police Dept. they are working out here hard for us definitely support them.” The police chief wants to sit down with Denny’s officials and resolve the matter. He planned to handle the matter discreetly but it became public on the internet and spread quickly. Officers will go to Denny’s if they receive a service call.

Wow. ON DUTY cops told to get out because they are armed.

That manager should be fired.

aboutime
01-03-2013, 05:18 PM
Wow. ON DUTY cops told to get out because they are armed.

That manager should be fired.

Denny's should transfer that Manager to DUTCH HARBOR, ALASKA. Bet there won't be any armed cops dropping in there. Not to mention how almost EVERYBODY in Alaska carries.

The police officers should know better. Has anyone actually visited a GREAT Denny's restaurant???? Honestly.

KitchenKitten99
01-03-2013, 06:27 PM
I think Log may be on to something about the visibility. I admit I have no read the entire article. Did they KNOW this was a police officer? Could she have just wore ID or a badge and remained with her weapon? Even after the ID was known, Denny's wouldn't make a concession for police officers? I'll have to read more about this. But if they stand their ground on this issue, I hope cops then boycott their restaurant. I think this is a pretty stupid decision.

Should it matter about visibility when she was WITH other on-duty officers?

tailfins
01-03-2013, 06:35 PM
It's not all that bad. There's plenty of fake cop robberies that happen to make me nervous like the manager. We had some fake cops robbing people in their homes a little while back in my neck of the woods. Discussed it with my wife and told her never let anyone in the house. If they say they are cops, get their badge numbers and call the PD to verify before opening the door. Which is what I would have done with the detectives at the Denny's.

There's no legal requirement to answer the door for the police.

jimnyc
01-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Should it matter about visibility when she was WITH other on-duty officers?

Nope, only if no one knew clearly that they were police officers. It appears they all did have their badges visible, and yes, I think being with uniformed officers should have been enough too.

Gaffer
01-04-2013, 04:36 PM
As their ID's were visible I would simply ask the manager. What are you going to do about if I sit here and finish my meal? Call the police?<br><br>This is actually hysterical. That manager is one incredibly stupid person.<br><br>When I was a deputy we use to work off duty details in restaurants where we were paid to just sit there in uniform at the counter for a certain time frame. We got a meal and all the coffee we wanted.&nbsp;&nbsp;

DragonStryk72
01-04-2013, 04:51 PM

That gets overplayed a bit, though. Here its more of an irrational fear of guns to the point of not even fekng safe around armed police officers.

logroller
01-04-2013, 06:29 PM

Assuming the customer was notified (ie posted signage), I'd say the latter--the customer did so voluntarily.

Robert A Whit
01-04-2013, 06:52 PM
Unreal.

Officers not in uniform can present a problem for the manager unless anybody in civilian clothes can also pack heat. I think packing heat should be allowed. I expect that were they in uniform, the guns would not be a problem.

Kathianne
01-05-2013, 12:15 AM
Local report:

The wore badges, guns, and suits. They are detectives, suits are their uniform, unless undercover:

...Sax said the police had their badges in full view, either by their handguns or they were wearing them around their necks. Plus, portable police radios were on the table. A second manager showed up and told the officers they could stay with their weapons. But, the detectives left anyway. Captain Sax added, “They had been harassed enough they have been embarrassed more than enough.”

Marcus Aurelius
01-05-2013, 02:37 AM
There's no legal requirement to answer the door for the police.

if they have an 'arrest' warrant, you are correct.

If they have a 'search' warrant, you would be incorrect.

aboutime
01-05-2013, 01:00 PM
if they have an 'arrest' warrant, you are correct.

If they have a 'search' warrant, you would be incorrect.

If the police have a reason for being at your front door, and they know someone is behind that door, but not answering. If they have, or do not have a warrant. Any kind of sound...be it actual, or suggested, gives the police reason to enter.
If you choose not to answer. You WILL end up paying for the new door if they break it down.

Besides. What civil, law-abiding citizen wouldn't want to answer the door if the police announce they are there with a Warrant?

Other than someone who might have something to hide, or just because you want to be a dummy, and test your knowledge of the Constitution on the police officers?

That's like inviting your friends to come in, to watch the Super Bowl on tv. And YOU HAVE NO TV.