PDA

View Full Version : Someone's getting fired over this...

KitchenKitten99
01-03-2013, 07:14 PM
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/01/03/water-main-break-in-mpls-leaves-hennepin-avenue-underwater/

A water main break Thursday afternoon left a number of blocks in downtown Minneapolis underwater, turning traffic into a freezing, wet mess, detouring city buses, closing multiple buildings and restaurants, and canceling performances. The break was caused by a development project around 2:30 p.m. at Hennepin Avenue and North 2nd Street, according to city officials. While the details aren’t quite clear, crews at the scene apparently struck and ruptured a 36-inch water main responsible for delivering water to a major section of the city.
Harold Tellberg, who lives near the scene of the break, said he knew something had gone wrong when he turned on his faucet and hardly any water came out.
“There was just a trickle, so I knew something was wrong,” he said. “So I came outside to see what it was all about.”

.[snip]...

Government officials said that all Hennepin County government facilities in downtown will close at 4:30 p.m., and that all non-essential employees are encouraged to leave the area as soon as possible. The Hennepin County Medical Center, however, will remain open.
The Minneapolis Central Library said it will close at 4:30 p.m. Check its website (http://www.hclib.org/) for information as to when it will reopen.
The Guthrie Theater announced on its website (http://www.guthrietheater.org/) that Thursday night’s performance of “The Servant of Two Masters” has been canceled. The theater advised anyone with tickets to call the box office at 612-377-2224 or email boxoffice@guthrietheater.org Friday afternoon to exchange tickets. The Sea Change restaurant, as well as the Guthrie building, will remained closed for the rest of Thursday.
The New Century Theater canceled “A Don’t Hug Me Christmas Carol.”
Many restaurants in the downtown area have also closed, including Be’Wiched Deli, Black Sheep Pizza, Fogo de Chao, Haute Dish, Kindee Thai, Origami, Rosa Mexicano, Seven, and Spoonriver. Make sure to call ahead before going to grab a meal.
Saks off Fifth Avenue is reported closing, due to its restrooms having no water.

I have a friend who works at HCMC and said that half the hospital had no water. Not good.

aboutime
01-03-2013, 07:23 PM
Kitten. Sad to hear, and many of us have been through the same thing, at least once in our lives.

That doesn't help what you are telling us. But. It does happen, more often than most of us know, around the entire nation.

Our major cities are time-bombs waiting to go off. Underground water systems, electrical, gas, sewerage, communications, subway systems, and the list goes on, and on....ARE ALL soon becoming at least 50, if not more than 100 years old. And they need replacement with newer, more modern materials.
Remember the bridge that fell a few years ago?

This nation is full of bridges just like that. But Congress, and Obama, who always TALK about fixing stuff. Always seem to spend the Money we don't have on PORK projects....like that SHOVEL READY STUFF Obama bragged about..then laughed at being NON-READY.

In the words of ARCHIE BUNKER......Back in the Mid-Seventies.

"DIS NATION IS FALLIN' APART, AND NIXON IS TRYIN' TO BE A PLUMBER". (Don't quote me, or Archie)

KitchenKitten99
01-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Kitten. Sad to hear, and many of us have been through the same thing, at least once in our lives.

That doesn't help what you are telling us. But. It does happen, more often than most of us know, around the entire nation.

Our major cities are time-bombs waiting to go off. Underground water systems, electrical, gas, sewerage, communications, subway systems, and the list goes on, and on....ARE ALL soon becoming at least 50, if not more than 100 years old. And they need replacement with newer, more modern materials.
Remember the bridge that fell a few years ago?

This nation is full of bridges just like that. But Congress, and Obama, who always TALK about fixing stuff. Always seem to spend the Money we don't have on PORK projects....like that SHOVEL READY STUFF Obama bragged about..then laughed at being NON-READY.

In the words of ARCHIE BUNKER......Back in the Mid-Seventies.

"DIS NATION IS FALLIN' APART, AND NIXON IS TRYIN' TO BE A PLUMBER". (Don't quote me, or Archie)

Um....ok... :dunno: