PDA

View Full Version : Can we get a reboot?

jimnyc
01-03-2013, 07:22 PM
I was hoping to again address the overall tone of the board if I could. Things seem a little mean, and a little nasty as of late. And yep, as usual, I've been in the thick of it. I've tried to make amends with those I have offended and am trying to be a little more pleasant to post with, that's really all I can do, and learn from it.

I was hoping we can all pitch in, and try and be a little more pleasant when we post, and especially so with those we disagree with, or might even dislike. Hell, you may even consider other members as your sworn enemies. But let's face it, making the place unpleasant won't do any good except to perhaps scare off members or have less participating in certain threads. You can still dislike or even hate someone without posting with toxic words and evil overtones.

Like I've told countless people over the years - instead of beating someone with personal attacks, beat them with spirited debate and knowledge, and facts. It feels much better to outwit someone than it does to out curse them or use meaner terminology.

And why am I bringing this up? It's various reasons, and the first starts with me. I know I've been a jerk to a few people over the past few months. I don't want to be "that" person. Not liking me because of my politics and views I can deal with, but I don't want people not liking me because I went off the handle and said things that were improper or out of line.

People have been posting less, and I know a small handful have come to me to speak about the tone. Hell, a handful spoke to ME about MY tone! And those people were right to do so. This is a community and we all SHARE the place. We all have freedom of speech to say what we please, but we don't always have to use that freedom to make others feel uncomfortable or unwanted around here. I believe we are all here to share thoughts, views, debate, discuss & have a tiny little place on the internet where even though we all have our differences, we all call the place home.

I might be wrong to judge others way of posting when I am an offender myself. But being a jerk at times doesn't make me blind. If I can recognize it in my own posts, I can sure as hell recognize it in others.

I'm not asking for a love fest around here, but maybe a little less nastiness and desire for hatred. Point out the hatred with facts about things instead of projecting hatred on one another.

And like a broken record - if you TRULY cannot always do so, and MUST be a jerk for a little bit - PLEASE - bring it to the steel cage section and get it off of your chest. This way others won't ignore participating in a thread, or not post, for fear of being a target of sorts.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Dang, wouldn't ya know it. Just when I start to be so much nicer the bandwagon flips and I'm in the minority again!
Can't this ole dog ever get a good bone!--;);)--Tyr

jimnyc
01-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Btw - I personally admit I was a complete shithead and WAY out of line with Gabby. I was quite a jerk in one thread towards mundame. And I have been less than friendly towards Jafar, when he's done nothing to deserve it. All 3 somewhat made me angry, but not one of them deserved the words I flung their way. It might be legit for me to be VERY passionate about certain subjects, but nothing excuses creating a toxic atmosphere with people simply because we disagree on ways of life and political topics. Yeah, shit happens here and there, but I don't want the crazy fights and hatred to be a driving factor in who we are here. We may not be the largest political message board out there, but I'd like to think we have some of the brightest here. We get even better if we can tame some of the hatred, personal attacks and fights.

Robert A Whit
01-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Btw - I personally admit I was a complete shithead and WAY out of line with Gabby. I was quite a jerk in one thread towards mundame. And I have been less than friendly towards Jafar, when he's done nothing to deserve it. All 3 somewhat made me angry, but not one of them deserved the words I flung their way. It might be legit for me to be VERY passionate about certain subjects, but nothing excuses creating a toxic atmosphere with people simply because we disagree on ways of life and political topics. Yeah, shit happens here and there, but I don't want the crazy fights and hatred to be a driving factor in who we are here. We may not be the largest political message board out there, but I'd like to think we have some of the brightest here. We get even better if we can tame some of the hatred, personal attacks and fights.

Well, I can sure be stubborn as well. Look at how Kathianne shoves my buttons and enjoys watching me get embroiled in one of her matches. I offered her a peace token but she told me not to bother that she did not want peace. I was amazed given she seems aligned to me as to voting against Obama. Then I get to deal with AT who loves trying to piss into my mess kit.

But alas, I must follow your lead and fly right.

I shall try to not let my buttons get pushed. I don't get angry. For me to get angry, I have to see the person up close. I need to know their face. The way they look at me with their eyes. Being pissed at typed words makes no sense to me.

01-03-2013, 08:52 PM
I understand Jim. Ive seen myself being harsher than I'd like lately in posts. Im looking to the Lord to change me.

Robert A Whit
01-03-2013, 09:12 PM
I understand Jim. Ive seen myself being harsher than I'd like lately in posts. Im looking to the Lord to change me.

Hey, me first. I have the Lord by his tie. :laugh:

01-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Hey, me first. I have the Lord by his tie.

Im pretty sure the Lord can change more than one person at a time.

CSM
01-04-2013, 07:04 AM
I will say it is rather pointless to post in some threads when it turns into a school-yard pissing contest between posters. More and more threads turn into page after page of insult, inuendo and inanity. I too have managed to fling an insult or two now and then and regret it later. but I would much rather discuss facts and serious opinions. There are some posters who, in my opinion, are just not worth responding to so I don't, even though I would love to launch a rant listing their obvious flaws. In any case, perhaps a more judicious use of the steel cage is in order.

taft2012
01-04-2013, 07:19 AM
Yes, it's true; you all suck.

:laugh:

darin
01-04-2013, 08:05 AM
This man can save us from ourselves. He's powerful. :D

How about dem Steelers, Jimbo?

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2013/01/03/2013-01-03-russell-wilson-2-seahawks-4_3_r560.jpg</SPAN>

Abbey Marie
01-04-2013, 11:10 AM

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2013/01/03/2013-01-03-russell-wilson-2-seahawks-4_3_r560.jpg

Oh, no, you dit-int!

Robert A Whit
01-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Im pretty sure the Lord can change more than one person at a time.

Oh that is sure true. Say, at my age, I can see why the Lord might have a project with me, but what's up with you needing a change at your young age?:laugh:

jimnyc
01-04-2013, 12:28 PM

Oh, no, you dit-int!

Oh man, kick a guy while he's down, why don't ya? I'm in football mourning, have a little respect! :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
01-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Oh man, kick a guy while he's down, why don't ya? I'm in football mourning, have a little respect! :laugh2:

Same here. :(

Perhaps we should bring up the Golden Tate fiasco!

jimnyc
01-04-2013, 12:30 PM
I will say it is rather pointless to post in some threads when it turns into a school-yard pissing contest between posters. More and more threads turn into page after page of insult, inuendo and inanity. I too have managed to fling an insult or two now and then and regret it later. but I would much rather discuss facts and serious opinions. There are some posters who, in my opinion, are just not worth responding to so I don't, even though I would love to launch a rant listing their obvious flaws. In any case, perhaps a more judicious use of the steel cage is in order.

I will take responsibility for that. I am going to see if we can be more aggressive in reeling in the nonsense that ruins it for others. A little here and there is cool, but once it starts killing a good thread, we will try and move it to the cage area. PLEASE, everyone, anyone who sees fighting and crap that ruins threads, report it. Staff doesn't read every single thread. We will work harder to move posts from decent threads to their own threads in the cage.

jimnyc
01-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Same here. :(

Perhaps we should bring up the Golden Tate fiasco!

Well, we were out in week 16, so I will admit, I had a bit of fun with my brother in law last week when the Big Blue officially got tossed! :laugh:

Abbey Marie
01-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Well, we were out in week 16, so I will admit, I had a bit of fun with my brother in law last week when the Big Blue officially got tossed! :laugh:

http://a1.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/63/f3c62c36dd7d6eaf8dd88901b37b44ec/l.jpg

gabosaurus
01-04-2013, 02:17 PM

/Counselor mode on

Being passionate is part of the system of political discussion. Things get toxic when someone persists in driving home their point.
This is part of my "hit and run" attitude of posting. I often state my point and am done with it.

Too many people are hung up on arguing semantics. They want to break down every word you post and look for a way to attack it.
Try embracing the general point. You don't have to agree with it.

I am liberal. Most of you are conservative (or some variance of such). Doesn't make me Satanic. Doesn't make you Satanic.

Make your point and be done with it. Why do we need 500 threads about "oh look! Muslims are being evil again!"
Yeah, you don't like them. We get that. Again and again and again. No need to keep harping on it.

Step One towards achieving inner harmony: Admit that someone with an opposing viewpoint has a right to think that way. You don't have to agree with them. Just agree to disagree.
Most personal attacks come because someone is angry that someone else has posted something they disagree with.
You evil person! God will smite you for saying such! Be gone to the Ninth Level of Hades! :lame2:

Chill out. As my dad is fond of saying, it's all water of a duck's back.

/counselor mode off

darin
01-04-2013, 02:23 PM
/Counselor mode on

Being passionate is part of the system of political discussion. Things get toxic when someone persists in driving home their point.
This is part of my "hit and run" attitude of posting. I often state my point and am done with it.

Too many people are hung up on arguing semantics. They want to break down every word you post and look for a way to attack it.

I am liberal. Most of you are conservative (or some variance of such). Doesn't make me Satanic. Doesn't make you Satanic.

Make your point and be done with it. Why do we need 500 threads about "oh look! Muslims are being evil again!"
Yeah, you don't like them. We get that. Again and again and again. No need to keep harping on it.

Step One towards achieving inner harmony: Admit that someone with an opposing viewpoint has a right to think that way. You don't have to agree with them. Just agree to disagree.
Most personal attacks come because someone is angry that someone else has posted something they disagree with.
You evil person! God will smite you for saying such! Be gone to the Ninth Level of Hades! :lame2:

/counselor mode off

Do you think about stuff like that when you incite other members with sometimes TERRIBLE things-said about concepts or beliefs they hold dear?

People often try to get upset people to 'relax' because it kinda removes from them the responsibility of whatever they did to make the person lose control - make sense?

Would be like somebody calling somebody else's wife 'impure' then trying to act honestly confused why that person would call them on it.

gabosaurus
01-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Do you think about stuff like that when you incite other members with sometimes TERRIBLE things-said about concepts or beliefs they hold dear?

People often try to get upset people to 'relax' because it kinda removes from them the responsibility of whatever they did to make the person lose control - make sense?

Would be like somebody calling somebody else's wife 'impure' then trying to act honestly confused why that person would call them on it.

Depends on whether someone is bringing up the distant past and presenting it out of context.
Perhaps you need to reread what I wrote about semantics.

My point is -- say what you have to say and be done with it.
If I slap you, slap me back and be done with it. Don't keep bringing the same point up time after time.
Children fight. Adults settle their differences.
Jim and I have had some horrendous fights (we are both bipolar bitches), but we have always come to our senses and settled up.
Others should do the same.

jimnyc
01-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Jim and I have had some horrendous fights (we are both bipolar bitches), but we have always come to our senses and settled up.

I'm a bastard, and have always stated as much, YOU'RE the bitch! :coffee:

aboutime
01-04-2013, 02:46 PM

jim. In the words of Steven Wright..a comedian. The EARTH IS BI-POLAR. So, all of us are, to some extent anyhow.

Robert A Whit
01-04-2013, 03:02 PM

Well, you join the majority of supporters.

I am happy.

Why?

So far, 49ers won division.
A week of rest.
I am not happy that the coach gave the boot to Alex Smith the QB in favor of a barely out of the rookie stage QB. I respect what the new QB brings to the table but Smith has years of this and was as the coach admits, a super hot hand when he got hurt. Hell, Smith got hurt, a concussion and still tossed a TD right away. He can do more hurt than the other guy can not hurt.

Next. Stanford impressed me. They are just shy of being in the national champion game. They had Notre Dame beat. Notre Dame did nothing but struggle all game long. It took a lucky call in Ot for Stanford to lose. We scored a TD that the refs said did not take place. Film clearly proved the RB scored. But it did not count. Oh if one does not know, Notre Dame plays for the championship vs Alabama. Look who Alabama lost to!!!!!!!1

Then Oregon beat up on KS State. A very good team went down to Oregon.

Stanford beat up Oregon.

Robert A Whit
01-04-2013, 03:15 PM

And yet you don't get called a misogynist by Kath. Will wonders never end. LOL

Folks, don't believe this crap that I am a misogynist. Hell, I have a hard time spelling that word. LOL

I am no more a misogynist than Santa Clause is the Devil.

I adore smart women. I don't mind it one bit if she is a Democrat so long as she does not call names and argues well.

I enjoy the argument and you can be a man or woman. I enjoy all of this.

Think of me this way. I once was rated at over 2200 as a chess player. I see this as a similar game to chess. Be a woman and beat me.

I dare you. Same to men. I make no judgement as to if the person is a woman or not. I think nothing beats a woman on a cold day and she wants to snuggle. And of course is ready for the rest.

What some of you ought to understand is that the mind will fade if not used. I am 74 as you know.

To use the brain is to do good for the human. I can do many other things. But my most precious asset is my mind.

When some of you get to be my age, you might be not able to think well.

I was divorced from my first wife who was born in Jan 1942 and for the past half dozen years, the poor woman who was really beautiful has alzheimers. I feel so bad that my daughter has no clue what is going on with her own mother. The guy she married has hidden her away.

i dunno what went wrong for my last wife since she vanished off one of the Hawaiian islands after gong to the store to buy booze. She flat is gone. More than likely she became food for sharks.

Both women as young women were very beautiful. In the case of my last wife, I have a hunch that as she got older and lost her looks, it bothered her. We all figure she got drunk and went into the ocean on purpose. She hurt her children a lot. Doing that I mean.

Robert A Whit
01-04-2013, 03:21 PM
/Counselor mode on

/counselor mode off

Keep counselor mode turned on and things might work out for you.

jimnyc
01-04-2013, 03:55 PM

Folks, don't believe this crap that I am a misogynist. Hell, I have a hard time spelling that word. LOL

I adore smart women. I don't mind it one bit if she is a Democrat so long as she does not call names and argues well.

Think of me this way. I once was rated at over 2200 as a chess player. I see this as a similar game to chess. Be a woman and beat me.

I dare you. Same to men. I make no judgement as to if the person is a woman or not. I think nothing beats a woman on a cold day and she wants to snuggle. And of course is ready for the rest.

What some of you ought to understand is that the mind will fade if not used. I am 74 as you know.

To use the brain is to do good for the human. I can do many other things. But my most precious asset is my mind.

I was divorced from my first wife who was born in Jan 1942 and for the past half dozen years, the poor woman who was really beautiful has alzheimers. I feel so bad that my daughter has no clue what is going on with her own mother. The guy she married has hidden her away.

i dunno what went wrong for my last wife since she vanished off one of the Hawaiian islands after gong to the store to buy booze. She flat is gone. More than likely she became food for sharks.

Both women as young women were very beautiful. In the case of my last wife, I have a hunch that as she got older and lost her looks, it bothered her. We all figure she got drunk and went into the ocean on purpose. She hurt her children a lot. Doing that I mean.

Keep counselor mode turned on and things might work out for you.

Are you shittin me? You're going to look for trouble in a thread asking people to stop doing so? Gabby and I have known one another for a LONG time. I was kidding in my comments towards her in which you quoted, and I have NO doubt that she received it in the same manner.

Please, Robert, don't be a part of the non-stop fights. It doesn't matter who starts each instance and who responds in each instance. YOU can choose NOT to propagate issues.

mundame
01-04-2013, 04:22 PM

Yeah, suicide is very hostile. If it is a mystery, though, it may well have been an accident. That is quite possible. How very sad! I wish it hadn't happened to you.

tailfins
01-04-2013, 04:32 PM

Do you live in poverty as a result of not being raised in a two parent home?

Are you shittin me? You're going to look for trouble in a thread asking people to stop doing so? Gabby and I have known one another for a LONG time. I was kidding in my comments towards her in which you quoted, and I have NO doubt that she received it in the same manner.

Please, Robert, don't be a part of the non-stop fights. It doesn't matter who starts each instance and who responds in each instance. YOU can choose NOT to propagate issues.

That's the best place to start trouble, myfren (a little Cuban slang there).

jimnyc
01-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Do you live in poverty as a result of not being raised in a two parent home?

Well, I can't afford the monkey I want, nor my 2013 Mustang GT500 Shelby Cobra. Poverty is in the eye of the beholder!

That's the best place to start trouble, myfren (a little Cuban slang there).

Now, I think his little fren could have been classified as an assault weapon, no? :laugh:

Robert A Whit
01-04-2013, 05:56 PM

You misunderstood me is all.

Don't worry. I won't hold that against you.

Robert A Whit
01-04-2013, 06:07 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Robert A Whit http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=604305#post604305)

Yeah, suicide is very hostile. If it is a mystery, though, it may well have been an accident. That is quite possible. How very sad! I wish it hadn't happened to you.

Funny how you got my point but Jim did not.

But not to worry, I won't hold it against him. I don't see it so much as happening to me as to my daughter who lives on that same island. We had been divorced far too long for me to still feel the pain when she bailed out.

I still feel very bad for my daughters sake. At least she is in her mid twenties.

jimnyc
01-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Funny how you got my point but Jim did not.

But not to worry, I won't hold it against him. I don't see it so much as happening to me as to my daughter who lives on that same island. We had been divorced far too long for me to still feel the pain when she bailed out.

I still feel very bad for my daughters sake. At least she is in her mid twenties.

My comment was more directed at the opening line: "And yet you don't get called a misogynist by Kath. Will wonders never end. LOL" - as I really didn't see a need to carry over an issue you have with Kathianne to this thread. That's all I was referring to.

Robert A Whit
01-04-2013, 06:57 PM
My comment was more directed at the opening line: "And yet you don't get called a misogynist by Kath. Will wonders never end. LOL" - as I really didn't see a need to carry over an issue you have with Kathianne to this thread. That's all I was referring to.

Yup, I admit laughing. Don't you see it as funny?

Lighten up. I won't pick a fight. I can't speak for her though. She should focus all her attention on the laughing.

tailfins
01-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Yup, I admit laughing. Don't you see it as funny?

Lighten up. I won't pick a fight. I can't speak for her though. She should focus all her attention on the laughing.

Party pooper!