PDA

View Full Version : What is an "assault weapon"?

jimnyc
01-04-2013, 02:26 PM
This was seen on FB, from a friend here, from another friends page! LOL

http://i.imgur.com/1s7K1.jpg

Ans: Both guns are Ruger 10/22s. Mechanically, they are exactly the same. (http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread909723/pg1)

The term "Assault Weapon" is a sensational term that means nothing. In fact, the assault weapons ban basically just bans guns that look scary.

In fact, it is guns scariness and unfamiliarness, not the actual risk that they pose, that motivates most gun bans. Take a look: http://lpnh.org/blog/chairman/2011/did_you_know_gun_control

To actually make kids safer, we need to allow those with concealed carry permits to carry guns in schools, just as they currently are allowed to carry guns in toy stores, restaurants, malls, and everywhere else.

Sign the petition: www.DefendSchools.com

(Thanks to Osman Sheikh and the LP Social Media Design Team for this image!)

jimnyc
01-04-2013, 02:36 PM
And as long as I am stealing from others today, from the very same person.... (that's what he gets for picking on my team)... More to the point, very well written!!

In 2011, there was 323 murders committed with a rifle but 496 murders committed with hammers and clubs. IF Politicians REALLY Cared about "saving lives" (as opposed to scoring political points with those folks they think can re-elect them), they'd ban Hammers. Only "Professionals NEED Hammers. If you have a nail you should call the Government who will respond and drive the nail into the board for you." But - nope. Won't happen because too many people have no common sense; they are willfully ignorant of cause and effect. They live in a fantasy land where nobody is EVER at fault - where human depravity CANNOT exist because we are "Highly Evolved!" - Fact is and if you disagree it's only because you choose ignorance - fact is people have killed people for THOUSANDS of years before we had AR15s. Ban AR15s and watch knife murders skyrocket. Ban Knives (after all, Nobody NEEDS a 7" knife! If you NEED something cut, call the Government - and they will cut it FOR you) and things like, what, HAMMERS and CLUBS will be used. Human Depravity - the cause of every murder in history.

And...

http://nation.foxnews.com/gun-rights/2013/01/03/fbi-more-people-killed-hammers-clubs-each-year-rifles

Robert A Whit
01-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Here in the Bay Area of Northern CA, on TV came the report.

As we get more guns, the murder rate drops.

They gave plenty of back up statistics.

I don't recall the precise figures but I believe that about 11 percent drop in murders is about right. And even with CA draconian gun laws, we still are better armed. I think they said that prior to Obama about 200,000 guns were bought and post the number is much closer to a million guns per year.

The public is smart. They realize something is up.

The irony is that where the population is loaded in favor of blacks, their crime rate keeps going up.

Look at the sad state of Oakland and hell, include Richmond and Vallejo in Ca to prove my case.

Trigg
01-04-2013, 02:55 PM
America Doesn’t Have a Gun Problem, It Has a Gang Problem

http://frontpagemag.com/2012/dgreenfield/america-doesnt-have-a-gun-problem-it-has-a-gang-problem/

Chicago’s murder rate of 15.65 per 100,000 people looks nothing like the American 4.2 rate, the Midwestern 4.5 or the Illinois’ 5.6 rates, but it does look like the murder rates in failed countries like Rwanda, Sierra Leone and Zimbabwe. To achieve Chicago’s murder rate, African countries usually have to experience a bloody genocidal civil war or decades of tyranny.

But Chicago isn’t even all that unique. Or the worst case scenario. That would be New Orleans which at an incredible 72.8 murder rate is ten times higher than the national average. If New Orleans were a country, it would have the 2nd highest murder rate in the world, beating out El Salvador.

St. Louis has a murder rate just a little lower than Belize. Baltimore has a worse murder rate than South Africa and Detroit has a worse murder rate than Colombia. Obama won both St. Louis and Baltimore

Homicide rates like these show that something is broken, but it isn’t broken among the Romney voters rushing to stock up on assault rifles every time Obama begins threatening their right to buy them; it’s broken among Obama’s base.

America’s murder rate isn’t the work of the suburban and rural homeowners who shop for guns at sporting goods stores and at gun shows, and whom news shows profile after every shooting, but by the gangs embedded in the urban areas controlled by the Democratic machine.

tailfins
01-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Here is a whole bag of assault weapons: They can be used as weapons, and if you do, you could be charged with assault.

http://www.prlog.org/10063487-golf-clubs.jpg

mundame
01-04-2013, 03:16 PM
An assault rifle is No. 2.

And don't tell me about bayonet sockets and whatever, language is descriptive, not prescriptive. That is, if people call an AK-47 an assault rifle, that's what it is.

All the best-dressed crazies are wielding AK-47s to kill school students. They have been using AK-47s since the 1990s. I personally think we should all go back to home schooling; this communal business is mainly about indoctrination, sexual seduction, sex perversion education, glorification of athletics, bullying, lowest common denominator, and getting killed by rampage shooters. This is so stupid! Get the kids OUT of these awful schools.

AK-47s are now the weapon of choice for most rampage shootings in schools and workplaces and restaurants. Time for them to go. If the crazies move on later to another psychosis fashion, such as torturing children to death slowly, then you can have the AK-47s back.

I'm not in favor of disarming America either! But sometimes, guys, you just gotta say, enough. The AK-47 isn't working out.

mundame
01-04-2013, 03:19 PM
America Doesn’t Have a Gun Problem, It Has a Gang Problem

http://frontpagemag.com/2012/dgreenfield/america-doesnt-have-a-gun-problem-it-has-a-gang-problem/

Yeah, but who cares. Let the ghetto solve their own problems, if they want to. We can't solve it for them. We can't even solve the suburb problem, so far.

Robert A Whit
01-04-2013, 03:38 PM
(snip) see earlier post for all of this.)

But Chicago isn’t even all that unique. Or the worst case scenario. That would be New Orleans which at an incredible 72.8 murder rate is ten times higher than the national average. If New Orleans were a country, it would have the 2nd highest murder rate in the world, beating out El Salvador.

St. Louis has a murder rate just a little lower than Belize. Baltimore has a worse murder rate than South Africa and Detroit has a worse murder rate than Colombia. Obama won both St. Louis and Baltimore

Homicide rates like these show that something is broken, but it isn’t broken among the Romney voters rushing to stock up on assault rifles every time Obama begins threatening their right to buy them; it’s broken among Obama’s base.

America’s murder rate isn’t the work of the suburban and rural homeowners who shop for guns at sporting goods stores and at gun shows, and whom news shows profile after every shooting, but by the gangs embedded in the urban areas controlled by the Democratic machine.

Show me in America, any city that has a minority of blacks that has a high crime rate? i get so tired of trying to tippy toe around dealing in fact and naming who is doing most of the crime per 100,000 population.

I get sick of seing on my news programs video of crimes in progress and the criminals are usually black men.

Look, down the road is a community called Monte Sereno. I used to appraise homes in that high ticket area. Rich people live there. I can't recall seeing a black rich man. I saw a few mexican rich men but not blacks.

I will admit though that I know a man named Olu who came from Nigeria that did well in the home loan business and married a black woman judge in Oakland. They live in a very expensive home and are awesome people.

So back to Monte Sereno. A small lot in that area is an acre of land. And a small home is over 3,000 sq feet. This very week 4 black people were arraigned for the murder of one of the residents of Monte Sereno. This is the first murder there in over 40 years. One killer is a woman.

I tell you, we used to worry just about a city like Oakland, CA or Vallejo or Richmond but the violence now has taken it up a notch. Some Mexican guy was legally carrying his pistol and was so sick of crime where he lived in San Jose that he encountered a suspected criminal and tried a citizens arrest. The perp runs and he shoots him killing him. Naturlly he got chasrged with murder. They are angry that the cops can't cover crimes in that city.

Robert A Whit
01-04-2013, 03:40 PM
You claim people shoot up schools using an AK 47.

Can you explain to us all where that took place?

I believe that on TV they claim that nobody has died using military weapons in the USA.

But to correct me, can you just pass around who you know of that was shot with an AK 47.

mundame
01-04-2013, 03:45 PM
You claim people shoot up schools using an AK 47.

Can you explain to us all where that took place?

I believe that on TV they claim that nobody has died using military weapons in the USA.

But to correct me, can you just pass around who you know of that was shot with an AK 47.

You need to keep up with the news, Robert. AK-47s were used in the Adam Lanza shooting, the shooting of firefighters shortly after, the Batman movie killer in Colorado, and many, many other multiple rampage shootings since at least the middle 1990s. See: "The Copycat Effect" by Loren Coleman. The AK-47 is the "in" gun for mass murders, no question about it.

jimnyc
01-04-2013, 03:51 PM
An assault rifle is No. 2.

In the opening post, neither gun is an assault rifle, which is a definition.

jimnyc
01-04-2013, 03:52 PM
You need to keep up with the news, Robert. AK-47s were used in the Adam Lanza shooting, the shooting of firefighters shortly after, the Batman movie killer in Colorado, and many, many other multiple rampage shootings since at least the middle 1990s. See: "The Copycat Effect" by Loren Coleman. The AK-47 is the "in" gun for mass murders, no question about it.

There was not an AK in the Lanza shooting. It was a Bushmaster .223, and NOT an assault rifle. Also, for 2 days after the tragedy the police reported that the gun was found in his car. Regardless, the gun wouldn't shoot any faster than a pistol.

mundame
01-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Millions and millions of people call them assault rifles, so that's what they are. I am willing to call them AK-47s, but they are being used preferentially in the mass murders of a lot of innocent people, week after week, year after year. Bushmaster AK-47s are definitely the preferred brand of whomever wants to shoot a lot of children.

Time to shut off the spigot.

mundame
01-04-2013, 04:02 PM
There was not an AK in the Lanza shooting. It was a Bushmaster .223, and NOT an assault rifle. Also, for 2 days after the tragedy the police reported that the gun was found in his car. Regardless, the gun wouldn't shoot any faster than a pistol.

I believe that is completely incorrect. What I read is that all the children were killed with multiple shots each from the Bushmaster, and that when he ran out of bullets for that one, he was going to load the two 9-mms for which he had hundreds of rounds in his coat and head for more classrooms, but the police came.

I agree that the second most popular rampage murder weapon is the 9-mm semi-automatic, and we probably won't be able to stop these madmen entirely. But I'd like to get their most popular fake-soldier fantasy weapon away from them. The AK-47 is being used preferentially for most mass murders. This needs to stop.

jimnyc
01-04-2013, 04:06 PM
It was NOT an AK47, it was NOT an assault rifle. And it was NOT an AK used in the Colorado shooting either. None of these crimes used an automatic weapon and both required a trigger pull of each weapon. No offense, mundame, but making stuff up and wrongly classifying things is part of the problem. Anyone even remotely competent with a 9mm, and a bunch of clips, could have gotten off as many rounds as either shooter.

jimnyc
01-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Look at it this way, ban assault weapons again, and any gun that may look like one.

Now, when a man enters a mall, with 3 handguns, and 20 clips with 9 rounds apiece, which can be changed within 2 seconds - I'm willing to bet he can reel off as many shots as someone with a Bushmaster .223

tailfins
01-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Look at it this way, ban assault weapons again, and any gun that may look like one.

Now, when a man enters a mall, with 3 handguns, and 20 clips with 9 rounds apiece, which can be changed within 2 seconds - I'm willing to bet he can reel off as many shots as someone with a Bushmaster .223

Who says an "assault weapon" has to be a firearm?

jimnyc
01-04-2013, 04:14 PM
Who says an "assault weapon" has to be a firearm?

Those in favor of removing guns from law abiding Americans? :slap:

aboutime
01-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Truth be told, pragmatically. All Human Beings ARE an Assault Weapon...of sorts.

As for Senator Feinstein. I would happily agree with her, and BAN HER forever from the rest of the Human Race.:laugh:

mundame
01-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Well, all the news accounts and books say these killings and many others were done with AK-47s, so I'm going with that. You could look it up: it's true.

AK-47s are the favorite weapons of boys like Eric Harris and Adam Lanza and all the rest who like to dress up in black quasi-military costumes and pretend camouflage and go shoot lots of people in a school or workplace or mall or movie theater. Apparently it's a fantasy thing.

I don't see the point in saying AK-47s are not being used for mass murders when all reports agree that they are being used in nearly every case!

jimnyc
01-04-2013, 04:23 PM
Well, all the news accounts and books say these killings and many others were done with AK-47s, so I'm going with that. You could look it up: it's true.

AK-47s are the favorite weapons of boys like Eric Harris and Adam Lanza and all the rest who like to dress up in black quasi-military costumes and pretend camouflage and go shoot lots of people in a school or workplace or mall or movie theater. Apparently it's a fantasy thing.

I don't see the point in saying AK-47s are not being used for mass murders when all reports agree that they are being used in nearly every case!

Adam Lanza used a Bushmaster .223

James Holmes used an AR-15

Neither of the Columbine shooters used an AK. They had shotguns, a carbine rifle, and a semi-automatic Tec 9.

What is the difference? All of the above weapons are 1 pull of trigger and one bullet. The AK you keep trying to pin on these shooters IS an automatic weapon.

tailfins
01-04-2013, 04:25 PM

It won't stop there with politicians that "never let a crisis go to waste". Some want to ban firearms and then some. I read that in some jurisdictions, one can be arrested for having a baseball bat without a glove and ball. Moral of the story: If you are on your way to "prove a point" with a baseball bat, don't forget to toss a catcher's mitt and ball under the seat.

Robert A Whit
01-04-2013, 04:30 PM

I need to keep up? Lanza did not use a AK-47. Who told you that he used that weapon?

Even if true, the AK-47 bullet can kill just the same as say a 30.06 rifle of similar caliber so what are you aiming at?

I would hestitate to use the AK-47 for your purposes for one simple reason.

Accuracy. The cartridge is large. When it recoils, the barrel leaps up. If you want to hit more accurately, use the Bushmaster 15 which is what he actually used. And that my dear is no AK-47. The bullet is rather small. Something you might use to shoot at wild rabbits.

I was hoping I got more from you than opinion. I was seeking some links or facts as some call them.

Marcus Aurelius
01-04-2013, 04:41 PM

Incorrect.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/07/20/james-holmes-colorado-shooting-guns-semi-automatic-weapon/ (http://www.tmz.com/2012/07/20/james-holmes-colorado-shooting-guns-semi-automatic-weapon/)

AR-15, a Remington 870 shotgun and a 40 caliber glock handgun

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/18/us/connecticut-lanza-guns/index.html

Adam Lanza (http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/14/justice/connecticut-shooting-suspect-profile/index.html) brought three weapons inside Sandy Hook Elementary school on December 14 and left a fourth in his car, police said. Those weapons were a Bushmaster AR-15 rifle and two handguns -- a Glock 10 mm and a Sig Sauer 9 mm.

No question about it. You talk out of your ass at times.

Marcus Aurelius
01-04-2013, 04:43 PM

Essentially, you're either dreadfully stupid when it comes to identifying weapons, or you're a liar.

Which is it?

tailfins
01-04-2013, 04:44 PM
I need to keep up? Lanza did not use a AK-47. Who told you that he used that weapon?

Even if true, the AK-47 bullet can kill just the same as say a 30.06 rifle of similar caliber so what are you aiming at?

I would hestitate to use the AK-47 for your purposes for one simple reason.

Accuracy. The cartridge is large. When it recoils, the barrel leaps up. If you want to hit more accurately, use the Bushmaster 15 which is what he actually used. And that my dear is no AK-47. The bullet is rather small. Something you might use to shoot at wild rabbits.

I was hoping I got more from you than opinion. I was seeking some links or facts as some call them.

It appears you have given considerable thought to what you're going to do when you "snap".

jimnyc
01-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Incorrect.

No question about it. You talk out of your ass at times.

Essentially, you're either dreadfully stupid when it comes to identifying weapons, or you're a liar.

Which is it?

Well, I agree she has misrepresented these guns, the shootings & what an assault rifle even is... but it's possible she did read articles stating otherwise. Nothing would surprise me anymore from the gun haters. It wouldn't be the first time they made stuff up.

But back to the point, none of the weapons used in the 3 mentioned crimes were automatic weapons. I guess by various classifications based on what a gun APPEARS to look like they might be misclassified as assault weapons, but in reality they would shoot no faster than a handgun, and some handguns might even be MORE powerful than those being misclassified. Some people just see what is a scary gun to them, that of course means it's an assault rifle and should be banned. The only auto mentioned, I believe, was the AK47 which wasn't used in any of these crimes.

Robert A Whit
01-04-2013, 04:58 PM
First, this site you can all read will tell you much more than I can tell you by copying a bit of it.

To keep down mistakes, just read the link. (see last line for link)

But first a note.

I picked up a pattern in mass killings but it was not that the shooters used AK-47s.

I think I read about 3 cases using them or perhaps 4.

Anyway, not to nitpick.

The pattern I spotted is that in the majority of the mass killings, a 9 MM pistol was used that fires one bullet at a time and auto loads.

While not a machine gun, you can still shoot damned fast.

So why the fuss over a machine gun that when fired bounces up and down like jello?

That kind of gun may be safer for you to be shot at with than some of the other guns used by such as Lanza who killed those kids and adults recently with nothing more than a .22 cal weapon? I need to explain. Bouncing all around is terrible for accuracy. Look, look at the events where the shooter shot so many rounds then look at the actual number killed or wounded. Do the math. Say he shoots 100 bullets and hits 8 victims. That is terrible unless you stop to think that with 100 bullets he might be able to kill 100 humans. I will take the odds with the guy with the machine gun. Some of you have to recall that thugs shooting is not the same as when the Army does it. When I was in the Army, we were a team. We would unload on you with not one machine gun, but we would have maybe a dozen or more. We aimed them before the targets arrived. We had aiming points and stakes in the ground to use at night to do our rememberng for us.

I don't want to go off on a lecture of how to properly use machine guns but I do know how to use machine guns. And taxpayers paid a lot of money to teach me.

Just about any bullet kills if hit in the head. Lanza killed the kids by shooting them in the head with a 22 cal weapon. That head shot doomed them.

So, check out the link since I believe it to be factual. Notice though that it is the 9 mm so often used and not some machine gun. I wish all of you could have shot machine guns as I did in the army were you can find out fast that they bounce all over even trying to hold them steady.

The 9 mm I think is between the .30 cal and the .45 cal. I have to check. Maybe it is about .45 cal.

That bullet my friend has real power.
http://www.nycrimecommission.org/initiative1-shootings.php

Robert A Whit
01-04-2013, 05:07 PM
It appears you have given considerable thought to what you're going to do when you "snap".

Me snap?

ROFLMAO

How did you handle it when you snapped?:laugh:

Say, taxpayers spent a lot of money on educating me to shoot many weapons. I am merely trying to pass along what I learned.

As a side bar, in high school, I was in the state military for high school kids for 2 years. By the time I got into the Army, I was already well versed with military weapons.

But then in the Army, I fired many types of weapons. Added up, it must have cost the taxpers much money given the thousands of rounds I fired.

I don't know the cost to fire a flame thrower but I fired one of those too. What do you suppose it cost for the 3.5 rocket launcher ammo that I fired one morning in Germany? I never saw the price of those rounds but I expect they cost plenty.

Gaffer

It was not a Bushmaster. It was a shotgun and it never left the trunk of his car.

Assault rifle is the media phrase of choice to scare people. Just like the term AK47 is used wrongly to get people upset. Most of those AK's are chinese ripoffs that don't even fire automatic. The whole shooting is being turned into a govt and media propaganda circus.

DragonStryk72

This is one of the things that always got me about gun control. Even a cursory look at the numbers tells you that you are more likely to be stabbed to death than shot to death. Why? Simple psychogy. When someone shoots you, the force of the bullet drives you to the ground, and shooting stops. In a stabbing, you get stabbed until you drop, usually at least two to three wounds, each large than a standard bullet wound.

tailfins
01-04-2013, 05:11 PM
This is one of the things that always got me about gun control. Even a cursory look at the numbers tells you that you are more likely to be stabbed to death than shot to death. Why? Simple psychogy. When someone shoots you, the force of the bullet drives you to the ground, and shooting stops. In a stabbing, you get stabbed until you drop, usually at least two to three wounds, each large than a standard bullet wound.

Look carefully at the vocabulary. The term is "assault weapons ban". Knives and other items could very easily be included.

jimnyc
01-04-2013, 05:15 PM
It was not a Bushmaster. It was a shotgun and it never left the trunk of his car.

Assault rifle is the media phrase of choice to scare people. Just like the term AK47 is used wrongly to get people upset. Most of those AK's are chinese ripoffs that don't even fire automatic. The whole shooting is being turned into a govt and media propaganda circus.

I knew I read and heard that the gun was found in his car. I'm reading more now and it appears he did have a shotgun with him that never left the car AND he had a Bushmaster with him IN the building. But the point still stands, not assault weapons and likely less powerful than a powerful handgun, and the rate of shots would be about the same. I defer to your knowledge on guns!!

jimnyc
01-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Look carefully at the vocabulary. The term is "assault weapons ban". Knives and other items could very easily be included.

And another thing worthy of mention - there was an assault weapons ban in effect in CT at the time of this shooting.

Robert A Whit
01-04-2013, 05:26 PM

You are just as stubborn as I am. LOL

I gave you the link to an official crime site so you could learn the facts.

Say, don't FACTS appeal to you?

Even the boys in CO did not use an AK-47. Lanza used the low power Bush master.

I repeat. the weapon is low power.

Anyway, why not go to a shooting range and try out the Ak-47. When you get done telling me how much it bounces all over the place, maybe then you will stop fearing it.

War is different. In war you have many many troops. And they work as teams.

When they miss, some other guy on their side fires his weapon and perhaps hits the proper target.

I forget the figures but it was said in one piece I once read that most men in combat don't hit what they think they are aiming at. Too much confusion.

Gaffer
01-04-2013, 06:41 PM
I knew I read and heard that the gun was found in his car. I'm reading more now and it appears he did have a shotgun with him that never left the car AND he had a Bushmaster with him IN the building. But the point still stands, not assault weapons and likely less powerful than a powerful handgun, and the rate of shots would be about the same. I defer to your knowledge on guns!!

I don't have a lot of knowledge of guns. I have just used them a lot. And as I said this seems to be a lot of media spin for the govt and control freaks more than facts being given out. Each story that is released is different.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-04-2013, 07:13 PM
I have the ability to assault a man with a damn butter knife and when I get done that person will swear to God and on their mother's grave that damn knife is an assault weapon!! That's not brag , that's a fact!!!
This label was made to order for idiots and jackasses . liberals, dems and other assorted ffing fools to use to further their insane anti-gun agenda !!
I for one am damn tired of the dems, socialists and liberals attempting to disarm me so they can then completely overthrow this nation. Get this if you are one of those ffing jackasses. I am just as committed to never giving up my guns as was that marine that sent the letter that went internet viral to that traitorous biatch and totally corrupt maggot Diane Feinstein! -Tyr

http://nation.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/02/no-ma-am-letter-us-marine-dianne-feinstein-goes-viral

POLITICS (http://nation.foxnews.com/latest/politics)January 02, 2013

‘No Ma’am’: Letter From US Marine To Dianne Feinstein Goes Viral

F (http://nation.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/02/no-ma-am-letter-us-marine-dianne-feinstein-goes-viral)

http://nation.foxnews.com/sites/nation.foxnews.com/files/styles/dv1/public/12_BT.gifAP
‘No ma’am’: Letter from U.S. Marine to Dianne Feinstein goes viral
The following letter, written by U.S. Marine Joshua Boston and headlined “No ma’am.,” was posted in the CNN iReport on Dec. 27 with the included note from the producer and photo. It has struck a nerve with many and is being circulated around social media venues like Twitter and Facebook.
Senator Dianne Feinstein,
I will not register my weapons should this bill be passed, as I do not believe it is the government’s right to know what I own. Nor do I think it prudent to tell you what I own so that it may be taken from me by a group of people who enjoy armed protection yet decry me having the same a crime. You ma’am have overstepped a line that is not your domain. I am a Marine Corps Veteran of 8 years, and I will not have some woman who proclaims the evil of an inanimate object, yet carries one, tell me I may not have one.
I am not your subject. I am the man who keeps you free. I am not your servant. I am the person whom you serve. I am not your peasant. I am the flesh and blood of America.
I am the man who fought for my country. I am the man who learned. I am an American. You will not tell me that I must register my semi-automatic AR-15 because of the actions of some evil man.
I will not be disarmed to suit the fear that has been established by the media and your misinformation campaign against the American public.
We, the people, deserve better than you.
Respectfully Submitted,
Joshua Boston
Cpl, United States Marine Corps
2004-2012

I started a thread on this topic earlier.. --Tyr

Read more: http://nation.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/02/no-ma-am-letter-us-marine-dianne-feinstein-goes-viral#ixzz2H3GFP2sl

Little-Acorn
01-04-2013, 08:59 PM
What is an "assault weapon"?

The term was first coined by the Germans in WWII, to refer to a rifle-sized gun that could either fire single shots, or a series of them like a machine gun, at the flip of a switch.

The definition remained the same for fifty years, until American politicians trying to demonize firearms, announced that anything that even LOOKED like an assault weapon, suddenly was one, whether it really was or not. Suddenly any rifle that was scary-looking to these people (and a great many rifles were scary-looking to them), became an "assault weapon", even if it had only the same capability as an ordinary plinking rifle. Unable to fire like a machine gun, they were now called machine guns anyway.

The confusion has gone on since then. Even when sensible people tried to point out how badly they had gotten the definition wrong, the paranoid ones started trying to make up new qualifications for a gun to be an "assault weapon", instead of simply admitting their error. Now if a gun has a flash hider, it was somehow an "assault weapon", as though the flash hider had anything to do with the gun's firing characteristics or lethality (it doesn't). Then if it had a handle mounted at a right angle behind the trigger, that somehow made it an "assault weapon", though that also had no effect on what the gun could do, other than making it a little harder for a trembling politician to accidentally drop. Same for those that had a hole through the stock, or a folding stock, or a bayonet lug.

At various times all these things abruptly became identifying characteristics of an "assault weapon", even though genuine assault weapons never had most of them. (Note that some of the muskets of George Washington's time had bayonet lugs, and some had holes through the stock in various places).

"Assault weapon" used to be well defined, until politicians trying to lie about firearms seized on the term to push a failing agenda.

Does those politicians' abuse of the term, mean that the definition is now changed from what it has been for 60-some years?

NT'sGirl
01-04-2013, 11:15 PM
The 9 mm I think is between the .30 cal and the .45 cal. I have to check. Maybe it is about .45 cal.

That bullet my friend has real power.
http://www.nycrimecommission.org/initiative1-shootings.php

http://www.diffen.com/difference/.40_S%26W_vs_9mm

Closest cousin would be the 40.

NT'sGirl
01-04-2013, 11:19 PM

unless you went with the 45 ACP which has less velocity and larger diameter

WiccanLiberal
01-05-2013, 01:28 PM
In 2009, the most recently reported year I could find, there were 13,636 homicides, 9,146 by guns (all guns). Murders by hands and feet, 801. Murders by blunt object, 611. Murder by rifle of any sort, 348. Oh yeah, and the Lanza case - handguns. The fact that a rifle was found in the car is not particularly relevant. It wasn't used. People need to stop allowing themselves to be deceived. Media and lawmakers focus on the big scary looking weapons and try and convince the public they will be safer if such weapons were unavailable. I call shenanigans on that. The weapons used to kill in this country are largely illegally obtained handguns. Attempting to remove rifles from the hands of legitimate owners is a sleight of hand con game.

Robert A Whit
01-05-2013, 08:03 PM

Since my post, I read up on calibers vs mm.

A site I read gave the 9 mm a rating of about .354 cal.

Still nothing that will feel good.

Robert A Whit
01-05-2013, 08:14 PM
unless you went with the 45 ACP which has less velocity and larger diameter

I used to reload cartridges.

This process includes resizing the cartridge. Carefully weighing the proper powder and inserting the bullet of proper size, correctly.

Some of these weapons called assault weapons have small cartridges. The .223 is such a small bullet the fact is, it does not have much shock power. I have to review the cartridge for amount of proper powder but even so, the bullet is pretty good for rabbits, but just a decent target weapon.

Especially when the bullet is so heavy and such large caliber such as the .45, it also has problems. Back in the Army I shot the .45 cal pistol for a few days and the bullets wandered to the target. Close you were going to die if hit. But the bullet wanders all over the place and slows down very fast.

They were designed for very close combat.

tailfins
01-05-2013, 08:25 PM
What is an "assault weapon"?

The term was first coined by the Germans in WWII, to refer to a rifle-sized gun that could either fire single shots, or a series of them like a machine gun, at the flip of a switch.

The definition remained the same for fifty years, until American politicians trying to demonize firearms, announced that anything that even LOOKED like an assault weapon, suddenly was one, whether it really was or not. Suddenly any rifle that was scary-looking to these people (and a great many rifles were scary-looking to them), became an "assault weapon", even if it had only the same capability as an ordinary plinking rifle. Unable to fire like a machine gun, they were now called machine guns anyway.

The confusion has gone on since then. Even when sensible people tried to point out how badly they had gotten the definition wrong, the paranoid ones started trying to make up new qualifications for a gun to be an "assault weapon", instead of simply admitting their error. Now if a gun has a flash hider, it was somehow an "assault weapon", as though the flash hider had anything to do with the gun's firing characteristics or lethality (it doesn't). Then if it had a handle mounted at a right angle behind the trigger, that somehow made it an "assault weapon", though that also had no effect on what the gun could do, other than making it a little harder for a trembling politician to accidentally drop. Same for those that had a hole through the stock, or a folding stock, or a bayonet lug.

At various times all these thinhttp://www.debatepolicy.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=604414gs abruptly became identifying characteristics of an "assault weapon", even though genuine assault weapons never had most of them. (Note that some of the muskets of George Washington's time had bayonet lugs, and some had holes through the stock in various places).

"Assault weapon" used to be well defined, until politicians trying to lie about firearms seized on the term to push a failing agenda.

Does those politicians' abuse of the term, mean that the definition is now changed from what it has been for 60-some years?

Yes, just like Gilbert O'Sullivan in 1972 saying he "Cheerful, bright and gay" was no indication he was a homosexual.

http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/g/gilbert_osullivan/alone_again_naturally.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_P-v1BVQn8
(http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/g/gilbert_osullivan/alone_again_naturally.html)