PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut town collecting violent video games to destroy

mundame
01-04-2013, 05:07 PM
A town in Connecticut is collecting -- voluntarily -- violent shooter/killer video games like ‘Bulletstorm,’ ‘Grand Theft Auto,’ ‘Mortal Kombat’ and ‘Splatterhouse,’” the hard-core shooter games, and giving $25 gift certificates to local stores for them.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/04/connecticut-town-to-hold-drive-to-destroy-violent-video-games-media/#ixzz2H2wZEw5v

The president of the NRA is accusing this kind of game for the culture of violence in America, along with the continual dose of violence from shoot-em-up movies.

I think the worship of violence for entertainment these days HAS to be a lot of what is going wrong. People had guns in the '50s, after all, if not so many, and they were squeamish then even about the "Weird Story" type of comic books and stopped them being published. The violence of games and movies now is a whole dimension worse than those comic books, and boys practice shooting people stand-ins for hours a day. It's no wonder to me some of them decide to act it out in real life.

Is there anything that can or should be done to improve the moral tone of the society, given the tremendous violence of normal recreation activities?

DragonStryk72
01-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Genghis Khan murdered and rape so much that 1 in 6 people today can trace their ancestry to him. His numbers would only be matched by Hitler. We've been murdering each other for the entire span of human history.

You might as well outlaw laser tag, paintbal, cowboys and Indians, cops and robbers, the whole lot. All off these existed prior to violent video games, and mass murderers existed before them.

Video games is new replacement for that darned rock n roll music.

mundame
01-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Genghis Khan murdered and rape so much that 1 in 6 people today can trace their ancestry to him. His numbers would only be matched by Hitler. We've been murdering each other for the entire span of human history.

We've been doing wars of conquest for all of history, true. But boys practicing murdering other people for hours a day? Not so much. I don't say never --- knights certainly practiced for tournaments and melees, which were often simply small wars treated as sport. But those were celebrities and a small portion of the population. Today the practice of mock killing goes on throughout the male population, hours and hours a week.

You might as well outlaw laser tag, paintbal, cowboys and Indians, cops and robbers, the whole lot. All off these existed prior to violent video games, and mass murderers existed before them.

Okay, that would work. Let's do that. Because I don't think violent games existed before --- what, the 1980s? It took computers. And movies. Laser tag and paintball didn't exist much before 2000.

The whole culture has become degraded by the channelling of attention into violence entertainment. It wouldn't matter except that in many, many cases it erupts into real-life killing. This is a very new phenomenon, only seen since the '80s, and it is what is resulting in all the many mass murders and murder/suicides.

mundame
01-04-2013, 08:54 PM
DragonStryk, if I seem to want to take your toys away, I'm saying that my own toys also would go or at least change. I have been a computer gamer since Adventure, if you know that very first game. Actually, I knew a guy who got into a whole lot of trouble by playing it on stolen minutes on the mainframe at Stanford before there were personal computers.

The early games were very innocent! The text adventures of Infocom, the Sim Cities in which the most violent thing that happened was that the Tokyo had an occasional Godzilla.

I've been around for the whole entire computer gaming development, and they have gotten progressively more violent until now even games designed for women like the Fable ones stop every little bit while you shoot Hollow Men or Mercenaries or soldiers or somebody. The games for young males are just continual massacres.

This did not have to happen! But it did happen, and it has trained up a generation of mass murderers. This needs direly to be stopped, IMO.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-04-2013, 08:56 PM
First , they came for the video games and nobody spoke up.....:D

mundame
01-04-2013, 09:04 PM

Yeah, yeah. :rolleyes:

But FIRST they came for our comic books. Remember? Because they were too violent.

However, I think this was part of the problem, maybe: it became very unfashionable that Congress had stopped publication of violent or horror comics and they became seen as art. And then it was impossible to tone down violence in either movies or books or video games. It was viewed as censorship.

Now we have non-stop mass murders. Continual copycat crimes. The glorification of people who do violence is sure to be a lot of what is behind it.

aboutime
01-04-2013, 09:04 PM

Tyr. It appears. Everything is going just as Obama, and the Democrats planned.

Eventually. As they neglect, ignore, and forget the 1st amendment...then comes the Books.

And based on History. I do believe WE ALL KNOW...what comes next.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Tyr. It appears. Everything is going just as Obama, and the Democrats planned.

Eventually. As they neglect, ignore, and forget the 1st amendment...then comes the Books.

And based on History. I do believe WE ALL KNOW...what comes next.

And they are glorified and praised as the lay the foundation stones to a New World Order.
First disarm them before you enslave them, where has that been done before!???--Tyr

mundame
01-04-2013, 09:12 PM
And they are glorified and praised as the lay the foundation stones to a New World Order.
First disarm them before you enslave them, where has that been done before!???--Tyr

Oh, well, can't disarm the teenage boys training to kill thousands of people in Grand Theft Auto, that would be against the Second Amendment, I guess. Okay, never mind, it's just fine that teens constantly run around shooting small children and people in malls; no problem here, move along.

aboutime
01-04-2013, 10:12 PM

How ironic, and Sweet would it be if the people in that town Destroyed a major source of their revenue....if some of the people actually worked for the manufacturer of those video games?

That would be like Obama Banning BOTOX and his first target to suffer would be 4243 DEAR NANCY (four knee's)

DragonStryk72
01-04-2013, 11:19 PM
We've been doing wars of conquest for all of history, true. But boys practicing murdering other people for hours a day? Not so much. I don't say never --- knights certainly practiced for tournaments and melees, which were often simply small wars treated as sport. But those were celebrities and a small portion of the population. Today the practice of mock killing goes on throughout the male population, hours and hours a week.

G
Okay, that would work. Let's do that. Because I don't think violent games existed before --- what, the 1980s? It took computers. And movies. Laser tag and paintball didn't exist much before 2000.

The whole culture has become degraded by the channelling of attention into violence entertainment. It wouldn't matter except that in many, many cases it erupts into real-life killing. This is a very new phenomenon, only seen since the '80s, and it is what is resulting in all the many mass murders and murder/suicides.

Really? Look up the unicorn brigade. Pages were trained for eventual knighthood starting age 6.martial arts training in Asian cultures starts around five many places

Sparta started their training as soon as the kid was old enough to understand, and the mongols started mounted combat training at three.

Do you require further examples?

mundame
01-05-2013, 07:03 AM
Really? Look up the unicorn brigade. Pages were trained for eventual knighthood starting age 6.martial arts training in Asian cultures starts around five many places

Sparta started their training as soon as the kid was old enough to understand, and the mongols started mounted combat training at three.

Do you require further examples?

These societies trained their males to fight and kill from a young age, and so do we, so at a young age a lot of them go out and kill lots of real people, including their fellow students and small children.

Well, that makes sense! Not.

All right, I see that no one on this forum is interested in discussing any way to solve the problem of crazyman mass murders. You want everything to go on exactly as it is.

Never mind, then.

aboutime
01-05-2013, 12:48 PM
These societies trained their males to fight and kill from a young age, and so do we, so at a young age a lot of them go out and kill lots of real people, including their fellow students and small children.

All right, I see that no one on this forum is interested in discussing any way to solve the problem of crazyman mass murders. You want everything to go on exactly as it is.

Never mind, then.

mundame. How can you say "No one on this forum is interested in discussing any way to solv the problems.." ?

This is a Forum, on the Internet. Not a town hall, police station, or the halls of Congress.
Most of us who have offered our opinions, idea's, or other thoughts...HAVE NO POWER...as individuals, to change anything that has taken place.

TWENTY young, beautiful little people were killed by a madman with weapons.
Nobody ON EARTH was there, or knew about it. So it took place.
Will that bring those children back to their parents?
Will taking weapons away from Law Abiding citizens...who are not MADMEN that shoot up schools...help anyone but THE MADMEN?

Nobody, but nobody can answer those questions THE WAY YOU DEMAND we answer them.

The same thing has been said over the ages about WARS.
And sadly. Throughout the History of this World.
WARS still happen.
In fact. Around the World today.
THERE ARE AT LEAST 100 WARS TAKING PLACE.

Is anyone here able to STOP THAT?

DragonStryk72
01-06-2013, 03:18 AM

Never mind, then.

No, I want to discuss it, but that isn't what you're discussing here. You dropped it all in the medias lap, alongside video, and are now acting hurt because its getting the holes poked in it that you created.

Now, maybe we should start the discussion with the ultra-paranoid mother that foisted her paranoia on her kid. People that had known her closely for fifteen years had never seen the inside of her house, and she never talked about her kids to anyone. Her own gardener never saw inside the house, and never met adam. She even trained her son in the weapons he would eventually use to murder her and then turn on the school, to make him in case the worst happened. He didn't have friends, didn't have sleepovers, and was taught to see people as the enemy.

But as long as we keep discussing the "demon video games", were never going to be able to talk about actual issues.

Kathianne
01-06-2013, 03:31 AM
No, I want to discuss it, but that isn't what you're discussing here. You dropped it all in the medias lap, alongside video, and are now acting hurt because its getting the holes poked in it that you created.

Now, maybe we should start the discussion with the ultra-paranoid mother that foisted her paranoia on her kid. People that had known her closely for fifteen years had never seen the inside of her house, and she never talked about her kids to anyone. Her own gardener never saw inside the house, and never met adam. She even trained her son in the weapons he would eventually use to murder her and then turn on the school, to make him in case the worst happened. He didn't have friends, didn't have sleepovers, and was taught to see people as the enemy.

But as long as we keep discussing the "demon video games", were never going to be able to talk about actual issues.

I agree. Mundame, whom I thought a female, then thought 'she' said she was male, recently read where she has a husband, so I must have been wrong on the claim of being male; appears to want to excuse the psychopaths of school shootings to 'copy cats' because of a book she/he read. While it may have some merit, the psychopathy of school shooters differs in many ways from other psychopaths, such as suicide by cops.

DragonStryk72
01-06-2013, 03:36 AM
I agree. Mundame, whom I thought a female, then thought 'she' said she was male, recently read where she has a husband, so I must have been wrong on the claim of being male; appears to want to excuse the psychopaths of school shootings to 'copy cats' because of a book she/he read. While it may have some merit, the psychopathy of school shooters differs in many ways from other psychopaths, such as suicide by cops.

My problem is that people keep treating these things like there was just one thing that was wrong. Like if the kid had just never played call of duty, he'd be fine. These sorts of knee jerk reactions generally make the problem worse.

Kathianne
01-06-2013, 03:51 AM
My problem is that people keep treating these things like there was just one thing that was wrong. Like if the kid had just never played call of duty, he'd be fine. These sorts of knee jerk reactions generally make the problem worse.

I think there may be several 'catalysts' to the school shootings, though the common thread I think is that they are suicidal, wanting to go out in 'blaze of glory' as they see it.

Something commented on quite a lot on non-msm, is that with the exception of the Gabby Giffords shooting, all these mass killings have been in publicized 'gun free zones.'

DragonStryk72
01-06-2013, 03:56 AM
I think there may be several 'catalysts' to the school shootings, though the common thread I think is that they are suicidal, wanting to go out in 'blaze of glory' as they see it.

Something commented on quite a lot on non-msm, is that with the exception of the Gabby Giffords shooting, all these mass killings have been in publicized 'gun free zones.'

Well yeah, that basic instinctual thinking. Theres no glory to be had if you get clipped before you ever draw down on the first victim. They hunt the same way wolves do. Wolves don't stay away from bears because they hate bear meat, its because the deer are less likely to kill them with big ass claws.

mundame
01-06-2013, 07:43 AM

You think other issues besides games are more important. Great. That could be worth discussing. So why not just say that politely? Why the personal attacks as above in your second sentence? I didn't make personal attacks against you.

A lot of people here can't talk to anyone else without bullying and victimizing them. First destroy the other person, then Make Your Pronouncement and Rule The World. This doesn't make for good conversation; it SURE doesn't make the bullies anyone I'd be interested in knowing.

This crap is going on in Abbey's thread, too. No discussion, just vicious personal attacks against any opinion she offers. Very disappointing, since I come here for discussion of interesting issues, not stupid personal quarreling. I recognize that there are always going to be some impaired people on forums that one has to just put on ignore and stay well away from -- snarkoholics or Age Rage victims or psychotics -- but there does need to be a certain proportion of people able to have a conversation, or there is no conversation! And I'm pretty sure discussion and conversation is what we're meant to be doing here.

Fine, now I have to add Dragonstryk to the list of insulting bullies who is incapable of polite discussion. Darn, I was hoping he might be intelligent and decent! There are getting to be fewer and fewer people left here worth talking to.

mundame
01-06-2013, 09:07 AM
As for the confusion by a few on whether I am female ---- are we paying ANY attention to obvious clues, people?

I chose the handle "mundame" years ago because I thought that would be a clear communication to everyone. But there are always one or two who just somehow can't figure it out.

Yes, I am female, of course, for those who can't understand either the avatar or the netname or the way I use language. [Sigh]

I figure now that this thread has gone to the dogs, it may as well be a free-fire zone.

DragonStryk72
01-07-2013, 05:13 AM
You think other issues besides games are more important. Great. That could be worth discussing. So why not just say that politely? Why the personal attacks as above in your second sentence? I didn't make personal attacks against you.

A lot of people here can't talk to anyone else without bullying and victimizing them. First destroy the other person, then Make Your Pronouncement and Rule The World. This doesn't make for good conversation; it SURE doesn't make the bullies anyone I'd be interested in knowing.

This crap is going on in Abbey's thread, too. No discussion, just vicious personal attacks against any opinion she offers. Very disappointing, since I come here for discussion of interesting issues, not stupid personal quarreling. I recognize that there are always going to be some impaired people on forums that one has to just put on ignore and stay well away from -- snarkoholics or Age Rage victims or psychotics -- but there does need to be a certain proportion of people able to have a conversation, or there is no conversation! And I'm pretty sure discussion and conversation is what we're meant to be doing here.

Fine, now I have to add Dragonstryk to the list of insulting bullies who is incapable of polite discussion. Darn, I was hoping he might be intelligent and decent! There are getting to be fewer and fewer people left here worth talking to.

Wow, way to insult me. You do realize you have just made yourself the most humongous hypocrite, right? And YOU chose the thread topic, not me , so quit with the kid games.

And yes, referring to someone in the third person. Like they aren't able to see the text is also insulting.

aboutime
01-07-2013, 03:12 PM
As for the confusion by a few on whether I am female ---- are we paying ANY attention to obvious clues, people?

I chose the handle "mundame" years ago because I thought that would be a clear communication to everyone. But there are always one or two who just somehow can't figure it out.

Yes, I am female, of course, for those who can't understand either the avatar or the netname or the way I use language. [Sigh]

I figure now that this thread has gone to the dogs, it may as well be a free-fire zone.

mundame. When I was growing up. My parents taught me to always respect ladies, and girls as if they were my mother.

Unfortunately. It appears that today. Females no longer wish to be addressed, or respected by members of the opposite sex because that somehow appears to be patronizing, and disrespectful.
Therefore. I always treat REAL LADIES with the respect they deserve, and I will hold my breath. Waiting for you to become a lady who earns my respect, without trying to demoralize everyone with street language, and attitudes I wouldn't respect from a homeless woman, pushing a shopping cart.

01-07-2013, 05:45 PM
I see nothing wrong with people voluntarily removing violent video games or any other entertainment out of their lives. In fact, I think voluntarily choosing good things is good. It's just when the government tries to outlaw and ban things that we have problems.

Kathianne
01-07-2013, 06:40 PM

That fault would be mine. I thought at one point, you said you'd chosen your name and avatar to make yourself gender neutral, I must have been wrong. As you said, my initial assumption was correct and I must have mixed you up with someone else. My apologies.

At the same time, has nothing to do with the worthiness of this thread, which is more than a bit interesting.