PDA

View Full Version : "Formal Fridays?"

Kathianne
01-06-2013, 01:35 AM
Really?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324677204578184022807118216.html

If You Really Want to Defy Conformity, Dress Up on Fridays'Formal Friday' Suits Those Tired Of Casual Office Wear; Bow Tie, Top Hat

Many American companies have come around to practicing Casual Friday, encouraging employees to dress down after four days of business wear. Silicon Valley was a pioneer of that basse couture, often opting for casual every day.

But Casual Friday just won't do any more for some hip companies here and in other trendy cities—now that everybody's doing it.

For some Silicon Valley companies, like gaming giant Zynga Inc., there are informal Formal Friday traditions, where small groups of employees dress up on occasional Fridays.

Even Facebook, whose chief executive, Mark Zuckerberg (http://topics.wsj.com/person/z/mark-zuckerberg/408), took the hoodie and T-shirt uniform to new heights, has a design team that often dresses up for what has come to be known as "Corporate Friday," a team tradition that dates back to as early as 2005.

cadet
01-06-2013, 01:52 AM
Bow ties and top hats???? :dance:
I've died and went to heaven!

Kathianne
01-06-2013, 01:54 AM
Bow ties and top hats???? :dance:
I've died and went to heaven!

I'm certainly not an expert, but having taught in a school where uniforms were the rule, 'jeans days' saw a relaxation of rules that was remarkable. I'm not saying adults are like children... LOL!

When one is 'dressed up' better behavior seems to follow.

PostmodernProphet
01-06-2013, 08:21 AM

that does not explain prom night......

fj1200
01-06-2013, 08:53 AM

That's just dogmatic rhetoric designed to force Victorian era rules on a subdued populace to ensure minimal innovative thinking and retain the power of the bourgeoisie.

Kathianne
01-06-2013, 12:05 PM
That's just dogmatic rhetoric designed to force Victorian era rules on a subdued populace to ensure minimal innovative thinking and retain the power of the bourgeoisie.

Yeah. As well as schools throughout the world. I said that adults might be different than kids, but it is more than observable with kids, it's obvious.

Kathianne
01-06-2013, 12:05 PM
that does not explain prom night......

Sure it does, they all look better, think they are adults and ready to get it on. :laugh:

aboutime
01-06-2013, 12:26 PM
We've all probably heard the adage..."Clothes make the man".

If you were on a street, anywhere in the entire nation, in any city, or town. And two people were coming toward you. One dressed in a Business suit, the other in jeans that expose his underwear, and hang down around his knee's.

Which of the two would you ask "Do you have the time?"