PDA

View Full Version : Should we use our real names on the Internet?

mundame
01-07-2013, 07:36 AM
Robert Whit made an interesting point yesterday --- that someone's personal revelations didn't much matter because he is anonymous here, as most are. So the revelations aren't attached to any real name.

That James character who dropped in and out said he goes from forum to forum pretending to expound various improbable political beliefs, none of it true of him. He can do this bad and nutso thing because he's anonymous, of course.

There is a huge drive on right now by major commercial interests to change America's Internet habits to using real names. Companies want to know who we really are so they can collect more info and sell more to us and also to get us to be more responsible and non-criminal. For instance, Amazon puts up product reviewers' names up like it or not! They have a lot of trouble with people reviewing books, etc. who never actually read them but want to plug a relative's book, or it's the author writing 20 positive reviews, etc. They are trying to stop that.

Facebook of course is famous for trying to get real names. The custom may well change to real names.

The custom of using anonymous netnames dates from the earliest days of the Internet --- so people wouldn't be called to account for what they say, and so other people can't track them down and harm them.

A really bad unmoderated forum I was on for many years -- it was good and moderated in the beginning -- got into a cyberstalking thing as leftists got together to try to purge all the rightwingers on the forum. Boy, they had everything and had my family info, all of it ---- I left at once and never went back. Another person they stalked, they had his business web site and everything, were threatening his livelihood, which was indeed vulnerable, as he was a lobbyist. He left, too. They were still stuck with the rightists they hated most, and they're still there, but some of us are gone, so I guess it worked for them. Cyberstalking would be easier with real names.

I am conflicted about this issue. 50--50. What do others think?

Marcus Aurelius
01-07-2013, 08:04 AM
Companies want to know who we really are so they can collect more info and sell more to us...

Right there tells me 'NO'.

glockmail
01-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Not with guys like Virgil Bozeman hanging around.

aboutime
01-07-2013, 09:26 AM
Robert Whit made an interesting point yesterday --- that someone's personal revelations didn't much matter because he is anonymous here, as most are. So the revelations aren't attached to any real name.

That James character who dropped in and out said he goes from forum to forum pretending to expound various improbable political beliefs, none of it true of him. He can do this bad and nutso thing because he's anonymous, of course.

There is a huge drive on right now by major commercial interests to change America's Internet habits to using real names. Companies want to know who we really are so they can collect more info and sell more to us and also to get us to be more responsible and non-criminal. For instance, Amazon puts up product reviewers' names up like it or not! They have a lot of trouble with people reviewing books, etc. who never actually read them but want to plug a relative's book, or it's the author writing 20 positive reviews, etc. They are trying to stop that.

Facebook of course is famous for trying to get real names. The custom may well change to real names.

The custom of using anonymous netnames dates from the earliest days of the Internet --- so people wouldn't be called to account for what they say, and so other people can't track them down and harm them.

A really bad unmoderated forum I was on for many years -- it was good and moderated in the beginning -- got into a cyberstalking thing as leftists got together to try to purge all the rightwingers on the forum. Boy, they had everything and had my family info, all of it ---- I left at once and never went back. Another person they stalked, they had his business web site and everything, were threatening his livelihood, which was indeed vulnerable, as he was a lobbyist. He left, too. They were still stuck with the rightists they hated most, and they're still there, but some of us are gone, so I guess it worked for them. Cyberstalking would be easier with real names.

You must know where I stand on this.

jimnyc
01-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Just use a credible fake name. Everyone thinks my real name is Jim, but in reality it's Francis. But don't call me Francis, or I'll kill you. :)

gabosaurus
01-07-2013, 11:41 AM
There is no good reason to use your real name, or give any information about yourself, on line.

Just use a credible fake name. Everyone thinks my real name is Jim, but in reality it's Francis. But don't call me Francis, or I'll kill you. :)

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Zvj_Eunx3Ko" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Abbey Marie
01-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Not with guys like Virgil Bozeman hanging around.

Lol, now that was funny. :laugh2:

mundame
01-07-2013, 12:45 PM
There is no good reason to use your real name, or give any information about yourself, on line.

There is perhaps no good reason for each of us, but what about for the society? There is no question but that fake book reviews, in quantity, get put on Amazon. There would be less ....over the top verbalizations, let's say, if people knew other people knew who they really were and it could get to their spouses and employers. Would that be good, or bad?

I agree it wouldn't be an advantage for the individual, but would the enforced improved responsibility of real names be good for society?

Maybe the Internet went wrong from the beginning. I have often wondered about that.

Abbey Marie
01-07-2013, 12:53 PM
There is perhaps no good reason for each of us, but what about for the society? There is no question but that fake book reviews, in quantity, get put on Amazon. There would be less ....over the top verbalizations, let's say, if people knew other people knew who they really were and it could get to their spouses and employers. Would that be good, or bad?

I agree it wouldn't be an advantage for the individual, but would the enforced improved responsibility of real names be good for society?

Maybe the Internet went wrong from the beginning. I have often wondered about that.

I don't think so, because so many people just suck. My decent and kind FIL once sent a letter to the editor of the newspaper explaining his stance on a local issue. They require your name and neighborhood before they will publish it. After it was published, he got a phone call from someone who just started cursing him out over his opinion. Poor old guy never sent another letter in after that.

mundame
01-07-2013, 01:01 PM
I don't think so, because so many people just suck. My decent and kind FIL once sent a letter to the editor of the newspaper explaining his stance on a local issue. They require your name and neighborhood before they will publish it. After it was published, he got a phone call from someone who just started cursing him out over his opinion. Poor old guy never sent another letter in after that.

True...lots of crime novels detail the hostile, obscene crank calls everyone gets after any sort of news event hits them.

This is a good point, and it's why there are so many meanies and screamies even on a forum like this. They are your basic crank callers now appearing on an Internet near you! They call on the phone anonymously, and they post on the Internet anonymously. A comments section has become the norm on every news article ---- but the quality of the comments is mostly misspelled obscenities.

I think requiring real names -- and I think it's going that way, moved by the big corporations -- would improve responsible behavior in the same way that people are painfully learning that it isn't a good idea to post pictures of your drug party on Facebook while applying for a job.

But I worry about the danger, particularly to women. The sex stalking, the violence stalking, the identity theft as retaliation, and so on.

aboutime
01-07-2013, 01:01 PM

Okay mundame. So, based on your feelings expressed on this topic. How bout you be the first?

Tell us your Real Name, address, and if you feel so determined to learn about everyone else. How bout your Cell Phone number too?

This is what many of us call "Putting your money where your mouth is".

Ready to show us how dedicated you are to following your own suggestions?

aboutime
01-07-2013, 02:24 PM
Where in the world did "MUNDAME" go. Both of us posted at the very same time. She's suddenly gone, and not willing to tell us her REAL NAME????

Go figure?

Abbey Marie
01-07-2013, 03:03 PM
True...lots of crime novels detail the hostile, obscene crank calls everyone gets after any sort of news event hits them.

This is a good point, and it's why there are so many meanies and screamies even on a forum like this. They are your basic crank callers now appearing on an Internet near you! They call on the phone anonymously, and they post on the Internet anonymously. A comments section has become the norm on every news article ---- but the quality of the comments is mostly misspelled obscenities.

I think requiring real names -- and I think it's going that way, moved by the big corporations -- would improve responsible behavior in the same way that people are painfully learning that it isn't a good idea to post pictures of your drug party on Facebook while applying for a job.

But I worry about the danger, particularly to women. The sex stalking, the violence stalking, the identity theft as retaliation, and so on.

I guess using real names would inhibit some bad behavior, at least in those with some decency and shame. But the real bad guys will use it to their advantage, so I wouldn't be for it.

I do love the way you think about many sides of an issue, in ways most people don't or can't.

tailfins
01-07-2013, 03:12 PM

Lighten up, Francis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k

aboutime
01-07-2013, 03:18 PM
Lighten up, Francis.

tailfins
01-07-2013, 03:52 PM

You're refrigerator is running! You'd better go catch it!

glockmail
01-09-2013, 03:32 PM
I don't think so, because so many people just suck. My decent and kind FIL once sent a letter to the editor of the newspaper explaining his stance on a local issue. They require your name and neighborhood before they will publish it. After it was published, he got a phone call from someone who just started cursing him out over his opinion. Poor old guy never sent another letter in after that.I would love to get a call like that. Star six nine on that one, then call him back and record the whole thing.

SassyLady
01-09-2013, 07:43 PM

I don't think using one's name will improve behavior. Decent people behave decent no matter who their audience is, and jerks will be jerks no matter who is watching/listening.

Robert A Whit
01-09-2013, 09:14 PM

I get a lot of e mail. What would it look like if I treated those on my mail list like they were on a thread?

They would end mailing me. I don't call posters names. I try to be polite. Even in arguments, I do my best to not put down hateful words for them to have to reply to.

I note some posters pat themselves on the back despite the way they treat others.

The constant bitchign at you for instance seems to me someone simply wants to be mean to you. I don't know why. I try to remain stochastic in words and style.

If anybody thinks my name is Robert Whit, think again.

I would gladly have posted my actual name but some protocol on this forum lilmits number of letters.

Look at it this way.

If you want to pick a bloody fight, and that is all, don't tell me your name.

If you want to be civil, maybe make a friend, maybe share as you would with a pal, then use the name.

If not on the forum, at least in mail.

Robert A Whit
01-09-2013, 09:23 PM
I don't think using one's name will improve behavior. Decent people behave decent no matter who their audience is, and jerks will be jerks no matter who is watching/listening.

I have endured bad names being hurled my way. I read taunts against Mundame. Are you telling me all these flame throwers who have even called me an ass are decent or not decent?

Kathianne
01-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Wow, Robert Whit isn't that. Color me shocked. An asshat and a sock comes clean. I'm glad I followed and read an ignored poster. Good job, Bob Robert. Now you can also claim you were never a friendly 'bob' poster.

Robert A Whit
01-09-2013, 09:36 PM
If you recognize the name; Chill Wills, you probably are pretty damned old.

Francis the talking mule voce was Chill Wills.

Robert A Whit
01-09-2013, 09:39 PM
Wow, Robert Whit isn't that. Color me shocked. An asshat and a sock comes clean. I'm glad I followed and read an ignored poster. Good job, Bob Robert. Now you can also claim you were never a friendly 'bob' poster.

Neeener neeener neeener.

Look, you want to look bad to posters?

Be my guest.

My god. I believe you talk to a lot of people that way too.

Robert is the name Mom gave me. Robert Taylor my name sake. An actor well known in the 40s. Mom did not much care for me being called Bob. Still since she knew I favored it, she used it.

tailfins
01-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Robert is the name Mom gave me. Robert Taylor my name sake. An actor well known in the 40s. Mom did not much care for me being called Bob. Still since she knew I favored it, she used it.

When you were born, the doctor slapped your mom.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-09-2013, 10:57 PM
I say nothing here that I wouldn't say to any man or woman's face.
Think that I would not call obama every bad thing but a decent man you'd better think again.
I've never hated anything on earth as much as I do that ffing traitor.
I'd invent new curse words to toss at the bastard!!! You people would to -IF- you truly understood what he plans on doing to all of us!
So posting my real name would be ok by me if all others did the same.. -Tyr

Robert A Whit
01-10-2013, 02:06 AM
When you were born, the doctor slapped your mom.

The doctor was a full grown alligator and my mother could knock one out with one punch.
Don't you wish your mother was human?

What the hell are you using an old Chevy wagon as an avator for?

I used to drive my friends 59 Impala with the big engine and the 4 speed tranny.

aboutime
01-10-2013, 10:59 PM
I say nothing here that I wouldn't say to any man or woman's face.
Think that I would not call obama every bad thing but a decent man you'd better think again.
I've never hated anything on earth as much as I do that ffing traitor.
I'd invent new curse words to toss at the bastard!!! You people would to -IF- you truly understood what he plans on doing to all of us!
So posting my real name would be ok by me if all others did the same.. -Tyr

Tyr. Why should we give our real name? Our pretender-in-chief never tells the truth. So, we should all follow his lead.

gabosaurus
01-10-2013, 11:31 PM
I used to drive my friends 59 Impala with the big engine and the 4 speed tranny.

Which one of your friends was the tranny? :p

aboutime
01-10-2013, 11:36 PM
Which one of your friends was the tranny? :p

Gabby. He was talking about you. But didn't know your name at the time. But you probably are still PRETTY SHIFTY.