PDA

View Full Version : Scooter Scam?

WiccanLiberal
01-07-2013, 04:36 PM
CBS News) Medicare fraud costs taxpayers an estimated $60 billion annually. One problem area is power wheelchairs, which cost the program hundreds of millions of dollars a year. Over the course of a several month "CBS This Morning" investigation, numerous people who have sold and prescribed these wheelchairs told CBS News that the industry bullies doctors, and that Medicare is writing checks that should never be cashed.The SCOOTER Store is the largest supplier of power wheelchairs in the country -- the TV ads are everywhere. According to Kantar Media, it spends more than a hundred million dollars on them every year. If you saw one and became intrigued, Brian Setzer was one of the men you talked to next. He worked as a salesman at The SCOOTER Store, from 2006 until 2011.

Setzer and three other former SCOOTER Store employees told "CBS This Morning" that the company's strategy was to "bulldoze" doctors into writing prescriptions, so people would get the chairs, whether they needed them or not. "They were just pushing harder and harder to get chairs sold," Setzer said.
And, once a doctor has written a prescription, Medicare rarely checks whether the chairs are actually necessary. The issue was crystallized when the Department of Health and Human Services Inspector General released a report (https://oig.hhs.gov/newsroom/news-releases/2011/wheelchair-medicare.asp), finding that industry-wide, 80 percent of Medicare payments for power chairs are made in error, with most going to people who don't need them or lack proof they need them. From 2009-2012, government auditors found The SCOOTER Store overbilled Medicare by as much as 108 million dollars.

Senator Bob Corker, of the Special Committee on Aging, is looking into this very issue. "Just think about that. We have people within the bowels of government here, that know we have an eighty percent error rate, and it just continues," Corker said.
Three former employees of The SCOOTER Store told "CBS This Morning" the company also ranked doctors based on whether they'd prescribe chairs, and that it had a program specifically to get chairs for people that physicians had already deemed ineligible. Brian Setzer says incessant phone calls and visits wore doctors down.
"They pushed the doctors so hard that they didn't want anything to do with you," he said.
Physicians say the industry's television commercials are another problem. Dr. Jerome Epplin runs a family practice in Litchfield, Illinois. He says the ads give patients a sense of entitlement, and that some have left his practice because he's refused to prescribe them a chair. "They're led to believe they need them, deserve them, and if we don't sign for them, they get upset and go elsewhere."
When the ads aren't enough, Epplin says reps from some companies have gone as far as to accompany patients to their appointments with him. "There's a significant amount of pressure when that happens," he says. "Obviously they have the right to do it if the patient says it's OK, but I don't think they should do itI don't think the representative belongs in the room at all. It's between me and the patient."

The SCOOTER Store would not agree to an on-camera interview, but told "CBS This Morning" it's committed to improving quality of life for seniors and the disabled, saying its "rigorous internal screening process -- including a Medicare-required, face-to-face doctor examination -- disqualifies 88 percent of those seeking Medicare or private insurance reimbursement for power mobility devices."
The company did agree to give back $19.5 million for chairs it admitted should not have been paid for. They said the amount was less than 4 percent of the Medicare payments it received in the last two years.
But according to the Special Committee on Aging, the company only agreed to a repayment after the HHS Inspector General threatened to suspend it from federal health programs. And while The SCOOTER Store disputes the government's audits, the government found the company owes as much as four times what it's agreed to repay.
In September, the government launched a pilot program to address the issue. It requires Medicare to approve chairs before they're paid for. But the same companies - with the high error rates - were hired to run it, processing payments to suppliers from the government. Sen. Corker, not convinced the pilot will make a difference, says he is looking into alternative solutions. Meanwhile Senators Herb Kohl and Richard Blumenthal have written a letter to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid asking why it didn't require The SCOOTER Store to repay more money.
Corker says it's all an example of a bureaucracy that is broken. "It just must make your blood boil. It made mine boil," he told "CBS This Morning." "Taking total advantage of taxpayers, and damaging a program that is one seniors count on and depend upon."
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57562398/exclusive-power-wheelchairs-and-medicare-investigation/

I posted the entire text, something I almost never do, because this struck me as a horrible misuse of taxpayer money. It is part and parcel of the way in which drug and medical supply companies advertise directly to consumers. The average person sees an ad for a product and become convinced they need it and badger their physician into prescribing it. If their MD is a reputable and honest doc, he/she may or may not prescribe it based on their judgement but if they do not, they run a very real risk of having the patient go elswhere to get what they want. I believe that direct advertising to the consumer of a product that requires a prescription is a very wrong idea. I have seen ads that push a particular acid reduction pill that requires a prescription, basically telling the consumer that the prescription is better than any over the counter drug when most of the MDs I work with, experts in that field, say it is not generally true. A cheap store brand OTC works just as well. And I am sure the ads increase the cost of the drugs and products.

<!-- 1 pageNum-->

mundame
01-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Good catch. The electric wheelchairs must be a huge scam.

On the other hand, so many people use the electric carts in supermarkets, I guess they get used to them and want them for home and other shopping.

Here's one: the "breathers" men use, the C-Pap machines for sleep without snoring and sleep apnea. Wonderful machines, I gather, that are being used nightly by more and more men --- and now we're seeing ads on TV for the same kind of outfits that promote the wheelchairs, offering to get them for you with no cost to the customer. Uh-huh......

WiccanLiberal
01-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Actually the CPAP machines are easy to check up on. I use one and have for years. My insurance required me to go through a double sleep study, one without a mask and one with to determine if I did have sleep apnea ( I do have a bad case) and whether the mask did indeed help (it definitely does). It's a very simple yes/no scenario. No testing should mean no machine.

aboutime
01-07-2013, 07:12 PM
CBS News) Medicare fraud costs taxpayers an estimated $60 billion annually. One problem area is power wheelchairs, which cost the program hundreds of millions of dollars a year. Over the course of a several month "CBS This Morning" investigation, numerous people who have sold and prescribed these wheelchairs told CBS News that the industry bullies doctors, and that Medicare is writing checks that should never be cashed.The SCOOTER Store is the largest supplier of power wheelchairs in the country -- the TV ads are everywhere. According to Kantar Media, it spends more than a hundred million dollars on them every year. If you saw one and became intrigued, Brian Setzer was one of the men you talked to next. He worked as a salesman at The SCOOTER Store, from 2006 until 2011.

Setzer and three other former SCOOTER Store employees told "CBS This Morning" that the company's strategy was to "bulldoze" doctors into writing prescriptions, so people would get the chairs, whether they needed them or not. "They were just pushing harder and harder to get chairs sold," Setzer said.
And, once a doctor has written a prescription, Medicare rarely checks whether the chairs are actually necessary. The issue was crystallized when the Department of Health and Human Services Inspector General released a report (https://oig.hhs.gov/newsroom/news-releases/2011/wheelchair-medicare.asp), finding that industry-wide, 80 percent of Medicare payments for power chairs are made in error, with most going to people who don't need them or lack proof they need them. From 2009-2012, government auditors found The SCOOTER Store overbilled Medicare by as much as 108 million dollars.

Senator Bob Corker, of the Special Committee on Aging, is looking into this very issue. "Just think about that. We have people within the bowels of government here, that know we have an eighty percent error rate, and it just continues," Corker said.
Three former employees of The SCOOTER Store told "CBS This Morning" the company also ranked doctors based on whether they'd prescribe chairs, and that it had a program specifically to get chairs for people that physicians had already deemed ineligible. Brian Setzer says incessant phone calls and visits wore doctors down.
"They pushed the doctors so hard that they didn't want anything to do with you," he said.
Physicians say the industry's television commercials are another problem. Dr. Jerome Epplin runs a family practice in Litchfield, Illinois. He says the ads give patients a sense of entitlement, and that some have left his practice because he's refused to prescribe them a chair. "They're led to believe they need them, deserve them, and if we don't sign for them, they get upset and go elsewhere."
When the ads aren't enough, Epplin says reps from some companies have gone as far as to accompany patients to their appointments with him. "There's a significant amount of pressure when that happens," he says. "Obviously they have the right to do it if the patient says it's OK, but I don't think they should do itI don't think the representative belongs in the room at all. It's between me and the patient."

The SCOOTER Store would not agree to an on-camera interview, but told "CBS This Morning" it's committed to improving quality of life for seniors and the disabled, saying its "rigorous internal screening process -- including a Medicare-required, face-to-face doctor examination -- disqualifies 88 percent of those seeking Medicare or private insurance reimbursement for power mobility devices."
The company did agree to give back $19.5 million for chairs it admitted should not have been paid for. They said the amount was less than 4 percent of the Medicare payments it received in the last two years.
But according to the Special Committee on Aging, the company only agreed to a repayment after the HHS Inspector General threatened to suspend it from federal health programs. And while The SCOOTER Store disputes the government's audits, the government found the company owes as much as four times what it's agreed to repay.
In September, the government launched a pilot program to address the issue. It requires Medicare to approve chairs before they're paid for. But the same companies - with the high error rates - were hired to run it, processing payments to suppliers from the government. Sen. Corker, not convinced the pilot will make a difference, says he is looking into alternative solutions. Meanwhile Senators Herb Kohl and Richard Blumenthal have written a letter to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid asking why it didn't require The SCOOTER Store to repay more money.
Corker says it's all an example of a bureaucracy that is broken. "It just must make your blood boil. It made mine boil," he told "CBS This Morning." "Taking total advantage of taxpayers, and damaging a program that is one seniors count on and depend upon."
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57562398/exclusive-power-wheelchairs-and-medicare-investigation/

I posted the entire text, something I almost never do, because this struck me as a horrible misuse of taxpayer money. It is part and parcel of the way in which drug and medical supply companies advertise directly to consumers. The average person sees an ad for a product and become convinced they need it and badger their physician into prescribing it. If their MD is a reputable and honest doc, he/she may or may not prescribe it based on their judgement but if they do not, they run a very real risk of having the patient go elswhere to get what they want. I believe that direct advertising to the consumer of a product that requires a prescription is a very wrong idea. I have seen ads that push a particular acid reduction pill that requires a prescription, basically telling the consumer that the prescription is better than any over the counter drug when most of the MDs I work with, experts in that field, say it is not generally true. A cheap store brand OTC works just as well. And I am sure the ads increase the cost of the drugs and products.

<!-- 1 pageNum-->

WiccanLiberal. Totally agree with what they discovered, and uncovered. My mother-in-law is now 93, and she lives in an Assisted Living, apartment complex where about 200 other, very elderly, wheelchair bound residents rule the place. And nearly all of them seem very proud of their ALMOST FREE...SCOOTERS, and other chairs...paid for by MEDICARE, or rather... YOU, ME, and EVERYBODY ELSE.
Not that they shouldn't have such TOYS. But even as a 65 year old myself. I find it troubling to learn how the SCOOTER STORE seems to have so much leverage...and special attention that gives them almost a BLANK CHECK...on our dime...so to speak.

I do suspect. If all of us look hard enough. We might find ONE, or TWO, or maybe more...POLITICIANS involved in this. All with their hands in the Cookie Jar, and with the Blessings of those Politicians who keep telling REPUBLICANS....Keep your fingers OFF of Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security.
It might also explain why Obama is LOVED so much for all the FREEBIES.

Kathianne
01-07-2013, 08:00 PM
My mom has been dead now over 5 years, I miss her terribly. She'd had a major stroke in '92, not long after I'd filed for divorce. She pretty much recovered from that, though always 'frail' after that. It took another 3 years to get the divorce, though because she obsessed on it, my dad moved her down to FL house for most of the year.

Of course lots of things intervened between then and 1999, when my youngest son was graduating middle school. My folks came up for that 2 weeks before. My dad said, "I don't think I can care for Mom down in FL on my own anymore. We need to move up here." Not so surprisingly, she agreed and they found a wonderful apartment. The weekend after the son's 'graduation,' mom and I were going to buy furniture that would work. Getting into the car, her ankle twisted and she went down, broken hip.

While she did recover from that after rehab, it was about a year before it broke a second time. That was it, wheelchair bound.

Long story short, my mom had lots of minor strokes in FL, while meds worked some, my dad, 3 years older than mom, was really not able to cope with her limitations. He realized that sort of late, but with no tragedies. The hip break made it impossible for them to live together in 'assisted living,' so they spent that time between rehab and my brother's ranch home. 2nd break came at their home, my mom still had enough 'cells' to say, "I love you for what you've done, appreciate all, but now I want to live with Kat. My dad had the wherewithal to hire 24/7 help and we all agreed.

She had her wheelchair, mini-strokes continued. She wanted to go to church at 2 am, nurse there to say rosary with her. She did manage to open door twice, and wheel and tip her chair. The breaking point came in 2003, when the caretaker that had survived my mom's tantrums, was called back to the Ukraine for mother-in-law with cancer. No choice, had to find a home. We were once again blessed with a friend of my dad's who'd bought the land and contributed over 50% of building towards a home for Catholics. Mom got in within 3 weeks, in spite of a long waiting list. (Yes, friends in high places is good, not always fair, but not always nefarious either.)

A few on her floor had motorized chairs. Not good. For a variety of reasons that shouldn't have to be spelled out, they hadn't drivers licenses. By the same token, motorized wheel chairs or scooters were not appropriate. No judgment, no quick enough response times available. They were a hazard to patients, staff, and visitors.

darin
01-08-2013, 08:34 AM
The more our government teaches the population to rely on government for EVERY. Fracking. Need. the farther our Country sinks from 'greatness' into 'chaos'.

mundame
01-08-2013, 08:43 AM
The more our government teaches the population to rely on government for EVERY. Fracking. Need. the farther our Country sinks from 'greatness' into 'chaos'.

But it's not actually the government in these cases, is it? It's these darn scam artists who advertise on TV. Medical equipment, medicare treatments, pills of all kinds. It's the dishonest kinds of private industry taking advantage of government programs. This does need to be stopped.

darin
01-08-2013, 08:51 AM
But it's not actually the government in these cases, is it? It's these darn scam artists who advertise on TV. Medical equipment, medicare treatments, pills of all kinds. It's the dishonest kinds of private industry taking advantage of government programs. This does need to be stopped.

No, it's the darn scam artists who demand free shit; "free" meaning paid-for and condoned by those elected into office. It's ONLY about those cheating the system and a system run so laughibly-sad in terms of efficiency.

What needs to be stopped is people's depravity; people's desire to have their problems - no people's DEMAND their problems be shouldered by their neighbors.

We had a parking issue where I worked; parking lots were demolished pending a parking garage construction. Before we demolished the parking lot we had about 50-ish 'disabled parking' permits. When we closed the parking lot, that went up over 200 and so did "demand" for more disabled-permit parking spots up close to the buildings.

Fracking unethical nasty vile people. Did our "disabled" population increase? NO. NO WAY. Did our "Lazy-ass bastard" population increase - no - we simply motivated them to make their colours known

mundame
01-08-2013, 09:04 AM
We had a parking issue where I worked; parking lots were demolished pending a parking garage construction. Before we demolished the parking lot we had about 50-ish 'disabled parking' permits. When we closed the parking lot, that went up over 200 and so did "demand" for more disabled-permit parking spots up close to the buildings.

Fracking unethical nasty vile people. Did our "disabled" population increase? NO. NO WAY. Did our "Lazy-ass bastard" population increase - no - we simply motivated them to make their colours known

We went to Tractor Supply for feed the other day and noticed they have EIGHT "handicapped parking" slots in a small lot, which is often parked up. I wonder if they put them in to keep an area clear for loading on or off; I don't know, but it's just crazy. I mean, whoever saw somebody in a wheelchair at a farm supply store?

I'm not too happy about all the handicapped spaces at most strip malls; they are usually just empty, after all, and they are the closest ones to the store, too, so it's really a waste. But I know that we are all getting older, so maybe they will start to fill up.

aboutime
01-08-2013, 09:15 PM
We went to Tractor Supply for feed the other day and noticed they have EIGHT "handicapped parking" slots in a small lot, which is often parked up. I wonder if they put them in to keep an area clear for loading on or off; I don't know, but it's just crazy. I mean, whoever saw somebody in a wheelchair at a farm supply store?

I'm not too happy about all the handicapped spaces at most strip malls; they are usually just empty, after all, and they are the closest ones to the store, too, so it's really a waste. But I know that we are all getting older, so maybe they will start to fill up.

mundame. While you complain about Handicap parking places. Guess you've never heard of FEDERAL laws that specify the number of parking spaces that must be available...even at a feed store.
Because you don't see anyone parking there...when you are there. Doesn't mean they aren't there when you are gone.
It's called THINKING, COMMON SENSE, and EDUCATION.
PICK ONE.

Kathianne
01-08-2013, 09:19 PM
mundame. While you complain about Handicap parking places. Guess you've never heard of FEDERAL laws that specify the number of parking spaces that must be available...even at a feed store.
Because you don't see anyone parking there...when you are there. Doesn't mean they aren't there when you are gone.
It's called THINKING, COMMON SENSE, and EDUCATION.
PICK ONE.

I've said it before and I'll repeat, 'There are those who scam any 'privilege.' That doesn't undermine the reason for, including handicapped parking slots. One may look like they are 'perfectly healthy' and have an unseen condition that cannot be spotted. I'd rather walk a parking lot, than make someone have to go without a prescription, food, or able to shop with a cart, than walk a bit less. While I am able, I'll give the benefit of the doubt to those using the placards or plates. If someone is scamming, that's on them, not me.

Robert A Whit
01-08-2013, 09:42 PM
Good catch. The electric wheelchairs must be a huge scam.

On the other hand, so many people use the electric carts in supermarkets, I guess they get used to them and want them for home and other shopping.

Here's one: the "breathers" men use, the C-Pap machines for sleep without snoring and sleep apnea. Wonderful machines, I gather, that are being used nightly by more and more men --- and now we're seeing ads on TV for the same kind of outfits that promote the wheelchairs, offering to get them for you with no cost to the customer. Uh-huh......

I heard of this wheel chair scam when Bill Clinton was president. I had hoped by this time the problem was solved. They did another investigation back when he was the potus.