PDA

View Full Version : Who else has been appalled by this case?

WiccanLiberal
01-09-2013, 03:58 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/09/us-india-rape-plea-idUSBRE90807L20130109

(Reuters) - Three of the men accused of raping and murdering an Indian student in a case that has provoked widespread anger with the government and police will plead not guilty, their lawyer said on Wednesday, citing lapses in the police investigation.
The 23-year-old physiotherapy student died two weeks after being beaten and gang-raped on a moving bus in New Delhi, then thrown bleeding onto the street. Protests followed, along with a fierce public debate over the failure of authorities to stem violence against women.
Five men are facing various charges including murder, rape and abduction. A sixth suspect is being investigated separately to determine if he is below the age of 18, as he says he is.
Lawyer Manohar Lal Sharma, who is representing the bus driver, who is the main accused, his brother and another man, said he was keen for the case to go to trial so that the evidence police had presented could be tested in court.
"We will plead not guilty. We want this to go to trial," Sharma told Reuters.
"We are only hearing what the police are saying. This is manipulated evidence. It's all on the basis of hearsay and presumption."
It is not known if the other two of the five accused men have a lawyer.
Charges against the sixth member of the group have not been brought while police complete an inquiry to confirm his age. If he is found to be below 18 he will be tried in a juvenile court and if convicted will go to a correctional home, not a prison, to serve a maximum term of three years.
Sharma said the police had rushed through the investigation against the five men even when they were not ready with the key detail of the age of the sixth member of the group, who lured the woman and a male friend into the bus and, according to leaked accounts, was the most brutal in the attack.
"When you have not even established the age of this person, how can you go to court bringing the charges against the others, and say your investigations are complete," Sharma said.
"We all know how police investigations are carried out in India."

I have been following this in the news since it was first reported. The answer for a culture that has such a hideous record on sexual assault is to keep its women indoors, and to alter the justice process so that there is a chance the perpetrators may have an increased chance of escaping justice, in a nation where rape prosecutions are already nearly impossible. Is this really the 21st century?

mundame
01-09-2013, 04:18 PM
I'm trying not to follow it overmuch, as it is in India: I don't like the news media's decision that they can put on more lurid stories if they treat the world like a global village.

That said, any society that changes from women passed from a father to a husband and staying home all day to women in the work force is going to have to improve their rape laws and especially their sexual harassment laws or women simply cannot manage the work force. Because they die. Or are raped or driven to desperation by sex-hungry men in their offices.

Societies can decide, but if they want women in the outside work force, they HAVE to change the ways males treat women. Or it can't work.

Thunderknuckles
01-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Love this line:
"When you have not even established the age of this person, how can you go to court bringing the charges against the others, and say your investigations are complete," Sharma said.

So basically, throw out any criminal charges against the other guys because they haven't determined the age of the sixth person :laugh:
That lawyer would get laughed out of court in the U.S. but I guess that passes for a strong defensive argument in India.

tailfins
01-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Love this line:

So basically, throw out any criminal charges against the other guys because they haven't determined the age of the sixth person :laugh:
That lawyer would get laughed out of court in the U.S. but I guess that passes for a strong defensive argument in India.

Never underestimate the power of payola. The resulting conclusions powered by payola are indeed nuts. Just ask David and Sean Goldman. The suffering caused by corruption is boundless.

http://bringseanhome.org/

WiccanLiberal
01-09-2013, 05:23 PM
You should see the rest of the stuff that I have seen about the politics if gender there. Many religious and political leaders there have essentially blamed the victim for the crime.