PDA

View Full Version : Very important question!

jimnyc
01-10-2013, 01:59 PM
I've been deliberating for a VERY long time now. I would like to get a kitten. I love them! My dogs love cats too. And I think they are very therapeutic, and just awesome to have around. The only cons I can think of is that they need to be fed, you need to by litter as well, and keep the box clean.

Oh, and also that my wife might disown me if I do so. But I figure a 10 week old kitten giving her eskimo kisses might make her take me back?

Should I? :coffee:

tailfins
01-10-2013, 02:01 PM
I've been deliberating for a VERY long time now. I would like to get a kitten. I love them! My dogs love cats too. And I think they are very therapeutic, and just awesome to have around. The only cons I can think of is that they need to be fed, you need to by litter as well, and keep the box clean.

Oh, and also that my wife might disown me if I do so. But I figure a 10 week old kitten giving her eskimo kisses might make her take me back?

Who wants to keep a box of poop in their house?

cadet
01-10-2013, 02:02 PM

No, because cat's are evil and terrible creatures, and spawn of Satan.
And every single one knows that i'm allergic to them, and have the need to cuddle me no matter how many other people there are in the room.
DOGS ARE FUNNER! Get more dogs!

jimnyc
01-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Who wants to keep a box of poop in their house?

Cats! It's better than having them shitting in my plants or under the bed! These days, with good boxes, you barely know they are there anyway. Just have to hide it from the dogs, as to them it's a delicacy!

No, because cat's are evil and terrible creatures, and spawn of Satan.
And every single one knows that i'm allergic to them, and have the need to cuddle me no matter how many other people there are in the room.
DOGS ARE FUNNER! Get more dogs!

Reminded me of this video, where the dog thinks the vet is satan! LOL

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hL_3HtWS7WY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

fj1200
01-10-2013, 02:47 PM

Yes, and...

... as to them it's a delicacy!

... I was just going to mention that.

gabosaurus
01-10-2013, 05:08 PM
I recommend getting a kitten from the Animal Shelter and getting rid of your dogs. :cool:

But remember, no one "owns" cats. Cats own you.
The ancient Egyptians worshiped cats. Cats have never forgotten this.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves.

Yes, cats require cat boxes. But you show the cat where his litter box is and he will always remember.
You never have to walk a cat. This is important when it is raining or 20 degrees outside.
Emptying a cat box is less trouble than picking up dog poop during walks.

Dogs often get upset if you leave and have panic attacks, tearing up the house.
Cats don't give a damn if you are home or not.

Jim, your wife sounds very independent. She will appreciate a very independent cat companion.

Marcus Aurelius
01-10-2013, 05:24 PM

I have a cat. love the cat. Hate her front claws. I know it's rough for a bit, but de-claw the thing, especially if you have nice furniture.

gabosaurus
01-10-2013, 05:30 PM
I have a cat. love the cat. Hate her front claws. I know it's rough for a bit, but de-claw the thing, especially if you have nice furniture.

Why not declaw your kids at the same time? They do more damage to furniture than cats do.
Declawing is a really cruel thing to do to a cat. If you are that worried about furniture, don't own a pet.

aboutime
01-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Why not declaw your kids at the same time? They do more damage to furniture than cats do.
Declawing is a really cruel thing to do to a cat. If you are that worried about furniture, don't own a pet.

Gabby. If we pay attention to what you said above. That means...YOU will be spending the rest of your long, miserable life in a Cage, in someone's pet store. Hoping some fool comes along and takes you home...WITHOUT DECLAWING YOU!

WiccanLiberal
01-10-2013, 05:53 PM
I highly recommend adopting a nice wee rescue kitten. The only problem I have ever had with kittens is that they are very moreish. Once you have one, you will want more. Seriously I have reared almost a dozen in my lifetime counting the babies born in my parents' basement, and I loved it all. AJ is now 4 months and driving us crazy but that's just teenager kitty behavior. There is nothing like a nice warm purring body snuggling up to your neck on a chilly evening. My dog loves all the kitties. I have never had a moment's worry over dog/kitty wars. Keep the litter box clean, provide lots of pets and cuddles and enjoy your new friend.

Robert A Whit
01-10-2013, 06:54 PM

I dunno you fiesty bastard but do you want a cat or a wife?
:laugh::cool:

Robert A Whit
01-10-2013, 06:57 PM
Jim
One more thing.

Do you think the pussy you get will be worth the pussy you lose?:cool:

jimnyc
01-10-2013, 06:59 PM
I dunno you fiesty bastard but do you want a cat or a wife?
:laugh::cool:

I can't reply to that. My wife peruses the forum as a guest sometimes. :poke:

tailfins
01-10-2013, 07:05 PM
I can't reply to that. My wife peruses the forum as a guest sometimes. :poke:

Tell her she's not allowed to do that. Problem solved.

jimnyc
01-10-2013, 07:07 PM

Personally, I wouldn't get a cat de-clawed. I had an all black cat once, Sady, and we took her in for the process. They gave her back to us with bandages on her paws, and I watched the poor thing stumble and limp around for about 3 days. And God forbid she had gotten out of the house after that, her only line of defense against other critters is now gone. That was the one and only time.

But I do admit that you're taking your chances, and the furry little bastard could do some damage, and I've seen it first hand. We had a $2500 sofa couch when we first moved here. Damn cat tore up both arms on it. Then we bought some fancy covers for it, and he tore them up too. Also, sleeping in the middle of the night, and my arms/hands would go over my head and over the mattress. The nocturnal bastard would be playing under the bed, and saw my aggressive movement as an attack, and of course had to stick 10 claws into me to protect herself there too!

Now I have an aging Pug. Gotta keep an eye on that sneaky little bastard! He's old, so he really doesn't give a shit anymore, and will just pee anywhere if he feels like it. Don't get me wrong, he goes outside, but he has an attitude about things. He knows by now that he's not getting beat, and he's gonna get his food, so what does he have to lose? :laugh:

jafar00
01-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Cats are great and they love having humans as pets.

Get a little kitty and give him a your home.

logroller
01-10-2013, 11:06 PM
Tell her she's not allowed to do that. Problem solved.
On yeah; tell a grown woman what she's not allowed to do-- Sorta like her telling Jim that he's not allowed to get a cat--It's foolishproof.

gabosaurus
01-10-2013, 11:34 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3372/3298555559_9c54db3a54.jpg

red states rule
01-11-2013, 04:21 AM
I know I have been away for awhile but when I saw this thread I had to jump on and give you some advice Jim

Yes, do adopt a kitten. In fact make it two kittens. Go to your local shelter and same two lives Jim. As much as I hate to remind you, any animal that ends up in the shelter has a life expectancy of an inmate at a concentration camp

OK, BEFORE you get the cats please pick up litter boxes and cat litter. If you get only one cat you need to get two litter boxes. If you listen to me and get two cats - get three boxes. Cats want a clean box to take a dump in. They are like humans who want a clean toilet

Also, do not pay attention to Gabby on declawing. Every cat I have ever had has been declawed in the front and none have ever had any bad side effects. If fact Herbie, he baby of the family, was home for about 10 minutes after being fixed and declawed - and had the bandages off his paws, was running, jumping, and wrestling with the other cats.

As far as cat litter I can recommend Arm and Hammer. A 40 pd box runs me about $13 and it does a great job of keeping the oder down. Of course be prepared to clean the boxes everyday. As I pointed out above, cats demand a clean box everytime.

Finally Jim, with two cats you will double your pleasure and at 2AM the cats can doubleteam you out of bed and open the cat food. Then as you climb back into bed, and as cats have gorged down the food, they will come into the room, jump on the bed, and each cat will snuggle next to you on each side, stretch out, burp, and purr themselves to sleep

You will lay there thinking how damn spoiled those cats have gotten and how you are now their personal butler for life

The joys of cats owning a human

NT'sGirl
01-11-2013, 04:46 AM
Rick and the kids were on me for 2 years before I said yes to a cat....now check out my avatar

BTW Charlotte had no problems with the declawing, keeps her from climbing 30 foot trees and the ferrets can play with her and not get hurt.

Have fun cleaning the litter box!

jimnyc
01-11-2013, 12:14 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3372/3298555559_9c54db3a54.jpg

And here's MY Pug, Jerome, with my then kitten, Mischa:

http://i.imgur.com/c5A41.jpg

darin
01-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Am a cat fan. :)

DJ at a couple/few months old:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2113/2323353992_6641f4f83c_z.jpg

DJ's litter-mate, Kenji @~10 weeks old
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2159/2132266236_ec04e10761_z.jpg

jimnyc
01-11-2013, 02:23 PM
I chickened out and didn't do anything yesterday. I asked my wife last night "Please, please, can we get a kitten". I was like a little kid again, with all that crap about how I would take care of it and be responsible. She still held a firm NO to the idea and more or less just ignored my pleadings.

So here I sit again today, debating on whether or not I should go get a little fella. Hell, now I partly feel like doing it so I can teach her a lesson. LOL

But yep, life has a way of kicking you in the ass if you break the rules. I do have to eat, and have a warm place to live. That, and she had told me previously that we could get another pet when one of my dogs should pass. So she told me that if I brought one home, referring to a kitten, that she would stab my dog!! Now, I think she was kidding, but I'm unsure.

But I would be sparing the life of at least one beautiful animal. And it's kind of good therapy, to share love and play with animals. And it'll give my dogs a little exercise.

I suppose I shouldn't even be thinking about it. But the evil woman doesn't entirely scare me. I thought about doing so and just hiding him/her, but the house isn't exactly huge. How long before the meowing of a kitten before it's heard? A few hours? Overnight? No way to hide that for long.

Then I thought about putting one in the basement when she gets home from work, and acting like I found a stray that must have found it's way into our home looking for warmth. :coffee:

glockmail
01-11-2013, 03:05 PM
The thing about cats is that each has its own personality. Dogs generally follow their breed.

I've had several cats, from a loyal hunter to a disrespectful pooper. My current one is best described as a wild animal that let's us live in his house.

jafar00
01-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Am a cat fan. :)

DJ at a couple/few months old:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2113/2323353992_6641f4f83c_z.jpg

DJ's litter-mate, Kenji @~10 weeks old
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2159/2132266236_ec04e10761_z.jpg

Cuteness aside, they are actually very good photos! What camera/lense did you use?

PostmodernProphet
01-11-2013, 11:32 PM
But I figure a 10 week old kitten giving her eskimo kisses might make her take me back?

???....no.....but she might keep the kitten.....

Little-Acorn
01-11-2013, 11:50 PM

She'll take the kitten back.

You're still toast.

darin
01-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Cuteness aside, they are actually very good photos! What camera/lense did you use?

Thanks! I fancy myself a pretty good photographer :) I can't recall, honestly - been 4 years. Probably a Canon 20D with 17-40 f/2.8 IS, Or a canon S2IS compact.