PDA

View Full Version : Beating a dead horse

gabosaurus
01-10-2013, 04:58 PM
The overblown coverage of the Connecticut school shootings has evoked feelings I didn't think were possible. I am starting to feel sorry for gun owners and advocates.
I admire Gabby Giffords and her struggles, but I'm not interested in her feelings on gun control. Nor am I interested in hearing about every athlete or pseudo celebrity who visits Newtown.
Our district has disciplined at least a half dozen kids who have made gun jokes. Another kid was interviewed by police because he was upset about failing a class and expressed a desire to "blow his world up."
Two of my daughter's classmates went hunting over the holiday break and wrote about it for a project. Their teacher was OK with it, but an administrator thought it was "in poor taste."

It's no wonder there are so many "copycat criminals" out there. The media glorifies them. It's no wonder I barely watch TV anymore.

Marcus Aurelius
01-10-2013, 05:28 PM
The overblown coverage of the Connecticut school shootings has evoked feelings I didn't think were possible. I am starting to feel sorry for gun owners and advocates.
I admire Gabby Giffords and her struggles, but I'm not interested in her feelings on gun control. Nor am I interested in hearing about every athlete or pseudo celebrity who visits Newtown.
Our district has disciplined at least a half dozen kids who have made gun jokes. Another kid was interviewed by police because he was upset about failing a class and expressed a desire to "blow his world up."
Two of my daughter's classmates went hunting over the holiday break and wrote about it for a project. Their teacher was OK with it, but an administrator thought it was "in poor taste."

It's no wonder there are so many "copycat criminals" out there. The media glorifies them. It's no wonder I barely watch TV anymore.

The administrator can go screw themselves. Hunting is legal (I personally do not hunt).

My son had a science project, which was to explain something 'science-y'. He chose to do a diagram and presentation on how a bullet comes out of a gun. All drawings, diagrams, and a short essay. No actual props were used.

He got an A.

gabosaurus
01-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Weird thing is, the administrator is a dove hunter. He just felt kids shouldn't be writing about it in sixth grade. Probably influenced by the press over coverage of shootings.
The teacher, who is not a hunter, judged the report on its merits. As she should have.

Trigg
01-10-2013, 07:15 PM
This overblown gov reaction and the MSM coverage is a knee jerk reaction.

If the politicians were honest with themselves they would admit that the cities with the most stringent gun control laws are also the most violent.

The 2nd amendment isn't about the right to hunt. It is about the right of the populous to defend itself against a tyranicle government.