PDA

View Full Version : Men armed with assault rifles walk through Portland

mundame
01-10-2013, 06:06 PM
Men armed with assault rifles walk through Portland to 'educate' public on gun rightsPublished January 10, 2013
FoxNews.com

http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/U.S./0/371/armedmenPortland.jpg

This image, obtained by Fox affiliate KPTV, shows two men walking through Portland Wednesday with assault rifles. The men reportedly told officers that they were hoping to educate the public on gun rights.

Two men seen walking down a Portland street armed with assault rifles told police they were exercising their Second Amendment rights and hoping to educate the public on gun rights.

Several calls were made to 911 on Wednesday afternoon, with alarmed residents reporting two men with guns strapped to their backs walking through the area of Southeast Seventh Avenue and Spokane Street in Portland's Sellwood neighborhood.

When police arrived on the scene, they found two 22-year-old men carrying rifles openly on their backs. The two were also holding valid concealed handgun licenses in Oregon, according to Fox affiliate KPTV.
The men reportedly told officers that they were seeking to educate onlookers about their Second Amendment rights.

"Exercising my rights with a rifle to try to decrease the demonizing of peacefully exercising your rights in public," one of the men, who declined to release his full name, told the station.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/10/men-armed-with-assault-rifles-walk-through-portland-to-educate-public-on-gun/#ixzz2HcIG3QT9
************************************************** ********************************

I read January 19 is supposed to be Adam Lanza Appreciation Day when gun nuts rally at gun shops and gun ranges to celebrate people shooting people.

I'm beginning to realize that gun nuts are the Zombie Apocalypse.

jimnyc
01-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Interesting that they call them assault rifles but never mention which weapons they are. Anyway, why are those that exercise their rights "gun nuts"?

jimnyc
01-10-2013, 06:15 PM
I'm looking around more, but read on another forum that these were AR15's, and therefore NOT assault rifles. The media sure does like to rile these things up and wrongly classify these weapons.

jimnyc
01-10-2013, 06:18 PM
http://www.koinlocal6.com/news/local/story/Two-men-carry-assault-rifles-through-Sellwood/mUjTtrgJ-EiCRgwTfBObLw.cspx

There ya go, they WERE AR-15 rifles, which are NOT assault rifles. The media will call any "scary" looking gun an assault rifle right now, but that won't change the FACTS.

Robert A Whit
01-10-2013, 06:24 PM
I read January 19 is supposed to be Adam Lanza Appreciation Day when gun nuts rally at gun shops and gun ranges to celebrate people shooting people.

Bet when you snope it out, it is just more lies.

Anybody that celebrates what that killer did won't get any appreciaton by me or sane gun owners.

I have yet to enter any gun shop that would endorse or in any way sanction what that killer did to those people.

jimnyc
01-10-2013, 06:28 PM

Can you please link us to where you read this? It's complete crap, and I'm curious where these sources are and where you read this. The 19th is "gun appreciation day" and I find it sick that someone would change it to include the shooters name in a way to vilify gun owners.

mundame
01-10-2013, 07:16 PM
They need a song for "Gun Appreciation Day" -----

"Peeeeople who shoot peeeeople...

Are the happiest people in the wooooorrrrrrrrrld....."

tailfins
01-10-2013, 07:21 PM

An Adam Lanza appreciation day would be a "religious" ceremony and an occultist event celebrated at covens nationwide. I say blame the occult for the Newtown massacre. Why is Lanza's Satanism being downplayed?

jimnyc
01-10-2013, 07:30 PM

Do you have a link to where you read about "Adam Lanza Appreciation Day"?

jimnyc
01-10-2013, 07:32 PM
For the REAL event and not the made up stuff...

http://gunappreciationday.com/

jimnyc
01-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Some of these are awesome...

http://i.imgur.com/iJmQ7.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zCB3f.png

http://i.imgur.com/sXRjI.png

http://i.imgur.com/uwiml.png

http://i.imgur.com/PzCqN.png

And my personal favorite....

http://i.imgur.com/zoinS.png

hjmick
01-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Men armed with assault rifles walk through Portland to 'educate' public on gun rights

Published January 10, 2013
FoxNews.com

http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/U.S./0/371/armedmenPortland.jpg

This image, obtained by Fox affiliate KPTV, shows two men walking through Portland Wednesday with assault rifles. The men reportedly told officers that they were hoping to educate the public on gun rights.

Two men seen walking down a Portland street armed with assault rifles told police they were exercising their Second Amendment rights and hoping to educate the public on gun rights.

Several calls were made to 911 on Wednesday afternoon, with alarmed residents reporting two men with guns strapped to their backs walking through the area of Southeast Seventh Avenue and Spokane Street in Portland's Sellwood neighborhood.

When police arrived on the scene, they found two 22-year-old men carrying rifles openly on their backs. The two were also holding valid concealed handgun licenses in Oregon, according to Fox affiliate KPTV.
The men reportedly told officers that they were seeking to educate onlookers about their Second Amendment rights.

"Exercising my rights with a rifle to try to decrease the demonizing of peacefully exercising your rights in public," one of the men, who declined to release his full name, told the station.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/10/men-armed-with-assault-rifles-walk-through-portland-to-educate-public-on-gun/#ixzz2HcIG3QT9
************************************************** ********************************

You just lost my respect.

aboutime
01-10-2013, 08:16 PM
You just lost my respect.

Who do we blame for making Americans try to do such things out in public????

Answer: The Politicians, and the SKY IS FALLING Idiots who are attempting to destroy the 2nd amendment.

Question: How many times have we seen this kind of thing...BEFORE the Politicians began their Phony Crying Games???

NightTrain
01-10-2013, 08:48 PM

I'm sorry to say that you just fell off my "Good Guy" radar.

I am very disappointed in you.

aboutime
01-10-2013, 08:52 PM
I'm sorry to say that you just fell off my "Good Guy" radar.

I am very disappointed in you.

NightTrain. Sometimes. Just sometimes. People expose their mental challenges in very different, distinct ways.

It appears. That is what just took place, making fun of such a serious topic.

Who would'a guessed?

Voted4Reagan
01-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Men armed with assault rifles walk through Portland to 'educate' public on gun rights

Published January 10, 2013
FoxNews.com

Since those are not Military issued weapons and are not used by any Military on the face of the Planet....

What makes them assault weapons?

Please educate us.....

Or are you just falling for the Media Hype in what to call any gun that is Black in color?

SassyLady
01-10-2013, 09:30 PM

Having your nightcap a little early?

NightTrain
01-10-2013, 09:40 PM
I totally misjudged her.

I thought that Mundame was educated, it is clear that he/she is not.

logroller
01-10-2013, 10:44 PM

On what do you base your opinions-- Ever shot a firearm? Ever had one pointed at you?
Have you ever talked to someone who has actually shot someone or to a victim of gun fire?
...why bother; you won't respond.
Free speech is a powerful tool when put to good to use; many are more than willing to engage in productive conversation; but you're so far off-base, it borders on lunacy. Clearly mental health day would be more in tune with your needs than gun appreciation. Here's a song for it-- a very merry unbirthday!

gabosaurus
01-10-2013, 11:29 PM
I am happy the two fellows didn't go door to door in their quest to educate folks. They might not have walked away from all of them.

Not that this thread is anything out of the ordinary. Men armed with assault rifles walk through parts of Los Angeles all the time. :cool:

aboutime
01-10-2013, 11:35 PM
Since those are not Military issued weapons and are not used by any Military on the face of the Planet....

What makes them assault weapons?

Please educate us.....

Or are you just falling for the Media Hype in what to call any gun that is Black in color?

V4R. It doesn't matter whether the military uses the weapons or not. The massive IGNORANCE of Americans, and American politicians overrules logic, common sense, and THE TRUTH.
Ignorance rules, and the TRUTH intimidates, and frustrates the Ignorant who follow other Ignorant people who convince them to believe anything they want. Education, and Knowledge are OBAMA'S, and DEMOCRAT Politicians...enemies.

Marcus Aurelius
01-10-2013, 11:36 PM

you're a lying sack of shit. You have no purpose here other than to perpetuate lies.

Go away.

aboutime
01-10-2013, 11:40 PM
you're a lying sack of shit. You have no purpose here other than to perpetuate lies.

Go away.

Hey Marcus. Words don't work very well for them. But they instantly understand this....4289

PostmodernProphet
01-11-2013, 08:38 AM
http://www.koinlocal6.com/news/local/story/Two-men-carry-assault-rifles-through-Sellwood/mUjTtrgJ-EiCRgwTfBObLw.cspx

There ya go, they WERE AR-15 rifles, which are NOT assault rifles. The media will call any "scary" looking gun an assault rifle right now, but that won't change the FACTS.

actually, the left ought to be required to use that label from now on....."Ban scary looking guns" would be an appropriate approach to what they're doing......

mundame
01-11-2013, 09:13 AM
So 2012 was full of many mass shootings of small children, fire-fighters, Christmas shoppers, movie-goers, college students and teachers, and the best idea gun nuts can think of is to celebrate all this with a "Gun Appreciation Day"???

After all these killings, you want to show how much you appreciate GUNS??

Darn, that is really sick.

It's so sick that I'm wondering if it's a false flag operation. I don't usually do paranoia conspiracy thinking, but most people in the country, like me, are going to react with disgust about a "Gun Appreciation Day" after all these madman shootings, IMO. I would think even fairly stupid people would be able to think of a better name than that for such a day!!

Why didn't they call it "Second Amendment Appreciation Day"? That would make more sense ----- unless this celebration of guns day was actually a plan by gun OPPONENTS to expose gun nuts who turn out for it to derision and contempt.

I suspect you are being played.

darin
01-11-2013, 09:35 AM
So 2012 was full of many mass shootings of small children, fire-fighters, Christmas shoppers, movie-goers, college students and teachers, and the best idea gun nuts can think of is to celebrate all this with a "Gun Appreciation Day"???

What is sick is your propensity to twist and flat-out lie about events to suit your point of view.

It's so sick that I'm wondering if it's a false flag operation. I don't usually do paranoia conspiracy thinking, but most people in the country, like me, are going to react with disgust about a "Gun Appreciation Day" after all these madman shootings, IMO. I would think even fairly stupid people would be able to think of a better name than that for such a day!!

Why didn't they call it "Second Amendment Appreciation Day"? That would make more sense ----- unless this celebration of guns day was actually a plan by gun OPPONENTS to expose gun nuts who turn out for it to derision and contempt.

No, Most people will appreciate guns as STOPPING madman and madwoman shootings.

You're fairly stupid; can you give a better name?

I'd support "Guns: The KEYS TO FREEDOM Day".

Guns solved Slavery, Nazism, and Communism. Guns - and those with enough moral courage to stop evil.

Marcus Aurelius
01-11-2013, 09:41 AM

I suspect you're a moron.

mundame
01-11-2013, 09:49 AM
On what do you base your opinions-- Ever shot a firearm? Ever had one pointed at you?
Have you ever talked to someone who has actually shot someone or to a victim of gun fire?
...why bother; you won't respond.

Why should I bother to respond to people who aren't able to remember a thing I've posted? I have considerable gun experience, and I have killed with guns and otherwise a WHOLE lot more living things than whoever claims to be the mightiest hunter here, I am perfectly certain. An old-fashioned farm wife is the most dangerous person on Earth, if experience counts. You all are amateurs, frankly.

None of these victims were human, thank God.

I have stated, oh, some 20 gazumpteen times, that I want gun rights preserved for self defense and for many animal issues. You can't remember any of that because you are so busy making up a story out of whole cloth to make me into a villain so you all can keep your stupid-looking assault weapons.

I don't think the epidemic of rampage killers going on is acceptable just so you all can keep your Rambo fantasies alive. I'd like to see a little more respect for human life here.

I don't have a direct line to the White House, you know. What I think will affect NOTHING. I am simply telling you what I think and what I suspect quite a lot of people in this country think about this assault weapons/gun craze going on now.

It's become a public menace.

darin
01-11-2013, 10:01 AM
You are a broken record who demands attention; yet refuses to learn, screaming loudly your ignorance and stubborn ignorance at that.

Why should I bother to respond to people who aren't able to remember a thing I've posted? I have considerable gun experience, and I have killed with guns and otherwise a WHOLE lot more living things than whoever claims to be the mightiest hunter here, I am perfectly certain. An old-fashioned farm wife is the most dangerous person on Earth, if experience counts. You all are amateurs, frankly.

I have stated, oh, some 20 gazumpteen times, that I want gun rights preserved for self defense and for many animal issues. You can't remember any of that because you are so busy making up a story out of whole cloth to make me into a villain so you all can keep your stupid-looking assault weapons.

I don't think the epidemic of rampage killers going on is acceptable just so you all can keep your Rambo fantasies alive. I'd like to see a little more respect for human life here.

I don't have a direct line to the White House, you know. What I think will affect NOTHING. I am simply telling you what I think and what I suspect quite a lot of people in this country think about this assault weapons/gun craze going on now.

Marcus Aurelius
01-11-2013, 10:33 AM
I have considerable gun experience, and I have killed with guns and otherwise a WHOLE lot more living things than whoever claims to be the mightiest hunter here, I am perfectly certain.

You're getting more full of shit with every post. You post that you know nothing about guns, then post you've killed "a WHOLE lot more living things than whoever claims to be the mightiest hunter here."

Again, you're full of shit.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-11-2013, 11:39 AM

Got to strongly disagree with that bolded in red. I have been an avid hunter for over 45 years, even hunted anything walking , swimming or flying as a teen just for target practice. Easily have killed thousands
of snakes, more thousands of birds, close to a thousand rabbits , close to that number in squirrels, we ate the wild game and it was delicious. I've easily shot over a fifty thousand rounds of ammunition in my lifetime and I was not ever military. Your statement took in too much territory is my best guess.
Very few in this nation hunted more than I did as my family hunted for food purposes and 15 of us lived mostly from wild game for well over a decade.. -Tyr

jimnyc
01-11-2013, 12:10 PM

You're not interested in conversation. Once again, I remain civil and polite, but you avoid answering once you are proven wrong. I've proved you wrong many times now about the AR-15, and you refuse to ever answer, and then when you reappear, you continue to call whatever you want an "assault weapon", even if it is wrong.

Then YOU make up something about the 19th being "Adam Lanza appreciation day", and I politely ask about proof of that, and you once again walk away. I'm thinking you didn't read it anywhere and made it up yourself.

With respect, you are becoming the new hit and run poster here. You always cry foul that it's abusive members, but that's simply not true. Myself, and a few others, have remained polite and factual in our replies, and you won't answer because it will PROVE you wrong with FACTS.

tailfins
01-11-2013, 12:15 PM
When I first looked at the OP, I thought something was wrong because a recent photo in Maine would have snow until I read deeper and realized it was Portland OREGON (the other Portland).

mundame
01-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Got to strongly disagree with that bolded in red. I have been an avid hunter for over 45 years, even hunted anything walking , swimming or flying as a teen just for target practice. Easily have killed thousands
of snakes, more thousands of birds, close to a thousand rabbits , close to that number in squirrels, we ate the wild game and it was delicious. I've easily shot over a fifty thousand rounds of ammunition in my lifetime and I was not ever military. Your statement took in too much territory is my best guess.
Very few in this nation hunted more than I did as my family hunted for food purposes and 15 of us lived mostly from wild game for well over a decade.. -Tyr

Okay, if it's thousands, you beat me, I admit it. ;) I'm more in the hundreds range.

Marcus Aurelius
01-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Okay, if it's thousands, you beat me, I admit it. ;) I'm more in the hundreds range.

So, you admit to being full of shit. Maybe there is still hope for you yet.

mundame
01-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Then YOU make up something about the 19th being "Adam Lanza appreciation day", and I politely ask about proof of that, and you once again walk away. I'm thinking you didn't read it anywhere and made it up yourself.

Certainly I made it up. I'm not sure "Gun Appreciation Day" is a whole lot better, though. I am betting they cancel all that or at least rename it. I honestly do think gun control advocates are promoting this dubious event to make gun collectors look bad.

you won't answer because it will PROVE you wrong with FACTS.

Well, I follow the AP Style Guide....that is, every news outlet including Fox News is using the term "assault rifle" for these guns, so that's their name. You can say it isn't their name, but is that really going to solve your problem? It's not really about the word, it's about the gun.

And about the term "facts." I figured out several years ago that facts are just opinions.

Facts are opinions that someone is really, really invested in having treated as true and real and right and correct.

But they are still opinions.

Ontology. What is a fact? What is real? What is true? It is a problem, since two people rarely agree on what is true and real.

Best to just call it all opinion, in my opinion.

tailfins
01-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Certainly I made it up. I'm not sure "Gun Appreciation Day" is a whole lot better, though. I am betting they cancel all that or at least rename it. I honestly do think gun control advocates are promoting this dubious event to make gun collectors look bad.

Well, I follow the AP Style Guide....that is, every news outlet including Fox News is using the term "assault rifle" for these guns, so that's their name. You can say it isn't their name, but is that really going to solve your problem? It's not really about the word, it's about the gun.

And about the term "facts." I figured out several years ago that facts are just opinions.

Facts are opinions that someone is really, really invested in having treated as true and real and right and correct.

Ontology. What is a fact? What is real? What is true? It is a problem, since two people rarely agree on what is true and real.

Assault rifle is a fuzzy term enabling proponents of gun restrictions to use one definition to "sell" it and another to implement it. It's a dishonest term. Users of the term should be called out as dishonest.

glockmail
01-11-2013, 02:55 PM
So, you admit to being full of shit. Maybe there is still hope for you yet.
Gzzz, lighten up. :slap:

mundame
01-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Assault rifle is a fuzzy term enabling proponents of gun restrictions to use one definition to "sell" it and another to implement it. It's a dishonest term. Users of the term should be called out as dishonest.

I hate that black term "call out."

"Call out" Fox News and CNN and NBC and the Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal and Reuters and all the rest that refer to them as "assault rifles," don't keep harping on at me.

jimnyc
01-11-2013, 03:09 PM

Did you even read the website at all, about the gun appreciation day? You do realize this is about gun owners and gun advocates, promoting and funding a fight against people wanting to violate the 2nd amendment, and protect gun owners? This has nothing to do with Adam Lanza, and nothing to do with violence. With law abiding gun owners not breaking the law, why shouldn't they promote awareness to appropriate guns and their uses, and make as many as possible aware of the 2nd amendment and how their rights would be violated. Why is it so bad for gun owners to have this discussion and promote awareness about rights? Because that's what this is about, not recent tragedies or Adam Lanza.

And there are factors involved that make clear distinctions between a regular rifle and an assault rifle. I'm sorry, even if media across the nation does so, that does not make the weapons assault rifles. If the media suddenly starts stating that 2+2 is 5, would it be true? And yes, that's a great analogy, because it really is that simple. Either it IS listed as an assault rifle, or it is not. That's not opinion, that's 100% fact. And THIS is why gun advocates would want information being promoted. Maybe there would be a little better understanding if the masses were informed that these are not assault rifles, and people were honest and explained what the differences were - which are generally HUGE differences - and that's why people get upset at those who purposely label them wrong.

Let me put the paragraphs here again. PLEASE read it with an open mind, as it really does explain the differences...

An assault rifle is a selective fire rifle or carbine typically firing ammunition with muzzle energies and sizes intermediate between those of handgun and more traditional high-powered rifle ammunition. Assault rifles are categorized between light machine guns, intended more for sustained automatic fire in a support role, and submachine guns, which fire a handgun cartridge rather than a rifle cartridge. Assault rifles are the standard small arms in most modern armed forces, having largely replaced or supplemented larger, more powerful rifles, such as the World War II-era M1 Garand and Tokarev SVT. Belt-fed weapons or rifles with very limited capacity fixed magazines are generally not considered assault rifles.

Semi-automatic rifles are not always classified as assault rifles as some do no not have the capacity to carry more than 10 rounds or designed for military use. However, in media firearms reporting the term 'assault rifle' usually refers to visual appearance rather than internal functionality. Similar full sized weapons, with full-auto capabilities chambered in full-sized rifle rounds, are known as Battle rifles. Examples of Battle Rifles are the FN FAL, H&K G3 and M14 rifle.

Marcus Aurelius
01-11-2013, 03:12 PM

Point 1: An admission of a lie. Congrats.

Point 2: Like the fact that we need air to breath or we die? By your logic, that is an opinion.

Marcus Aurelius
01-11-2013, 03:25 PM

Let me put the paragraphs here again. PLEASE read it with an open mind, as it really does explain the differences...

An assault rifle is a selective fire rifle or carbine typically firing ammunition with muzzle energies and sizes intermediate between those of handgun and more traditional high-powered rifle ammunition. Assault rifles are categorized between light machine guns, intended more for sustained automatic fire in a support role, and submachine guns, which fire a handgun cartridge rather than a rifle cartridge. Assault rifles are the standard small arms in most modern armed forces, having largely replaced or supplemented larger, more powerful rifles, such as the World War II-era M1 Garand and Tokarev SVT. Belt-fed weapons or rifles with very limited capacity fixed magazines are generally not considered assault rifles.

Semi-automatic rifles are not always classified as assault rifles as some do no not have the capacity to carry more than 10 rounds or designed for military use. However, in media firearms reporting the term 'assault rifle' usually refers to visual appearance rather than internal functionality. Similar full sized weapons, with full-auto capabilities chambered in full-sized rifle rounds, are known as Battle rifles. Examples of Battle Rifles are the FN FAL, H&K G3 and M14 rifle.

Which of these is an 'assault rifle'?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31VQ9itT7XL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/9919214713/7863493/14532a6863292299413d5fcdfa218ed8.jpg

http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/pi/mp/15467/6880632413p?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ssisportsftp.net% 2FRG%2FUmarex%2F2252330.jpg&d=1cca217679e0d49da03914ecba27175c85431239

The correct answer is...

none of them. The first and second are pellet guns, and the third is a bb gun. According to conventional wisdom in the media however, they'd be called 'assault' weapons because of how they look.

jimnyc
01-11-2013, 03:40 PM
^^ BB and Pellet guns are already banned where I live! LOL Hell, I can't even own an old fashioned Wrist Rocket slingshot!!

I had a friend who had a paintball gun that would probably be classified as an assault weapon. It looked scary, and shot about a million of those bastards a minute. We almost had a fist fight at the fields once. They test all the guns for speed prior to the matches, to make sure those who bring their own guns only shoot at a certain speed. But all he has to do is turn the thing right back up when he walks away. His was fully auto and HURT!! LOL

jimnyc
01-11-2013, 04:08 PM
The "gun of the hour", not only on here, but throughout the nation right now is the AR-15. Some classify it as an assault weapon merely because it LOOKS like a military grade weapon. Others classify it differently. But lets think about this one weapon for a second. Bats, crow bars, clubs and knives kill people MUCH MORE yearly. Why the craziness over this gun but not a peep about banning the other things?

I'm still baffled that some authorities and our Congress will classify certain guns based solely on appearance. That's quite retarded, I think. And if Feinstein has her way, she wants implementation of banning cosmetic features as well, so that future gun manufacturers can't make new guns with certain appearances.

I would love to see her, and many others, sit down with some knowledgeable gun owners and talk about the capabilities of these guns, and actually learn something instead of spreading fear based on incorrect rhetoric.

tailfins
01-11-2013, 04:40 PM
I hate that black term "call out."

"Call out" Fox News and CNN and NBC and the Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal and Reuters and all the rest that refer to them as "assault rifles," don't keep harping on at me.

I didn't know Matt Dillon was black.

Robert A Whit
01-11-2013, 04:43 PM
I am happy the two fellows didn't go door to door in their quest to educate folks. They might not have walked away from all of them.

Not that this thread is anything out of the ordinary. Men armed with assault rifles walk through parts of Los Angeles all the time. :cool:

We have a name for those men.

We call them the cops.

:lol:

You easily shot a lot more than I did and I was military.

Supposedly Dad would give me my first gun around age 16 I suppose. Never happened. He could have given me his .22 rifle and kept his big bore rifles. He could have given me the .22 cal pistol I now own from his estate but even that he did not do.

I fired a lot as a state cadet at high school but we consumed a lot of time learning soldering and plenty of time on the range at the high school. I think the school lauded itself for having the only high school range on campus. I don't know for a fact if this school indeed was the one and only high school to sport a full range on campus or not.

My army firing spanned roughly 6 months and when we went to the range, we used up a lot of ammo. Even when I shot machine guns though, I can't see us using over a couple thousand rounds. maybe less than that.

Out out of the Army, I loved to reload my own ammo and of course shoot that. I shot at a range though.

So, you top me by far. I have never shot wild game and or eaten it. Dad used to shoot some though.

If Mundame did all that shooting, surely she understands that we are not arch criminals lurking about in hopes of shooting humans. We simply love shooting. Don't ask me why it's fun, but it is fun.

If she had a pesky coyote on that farm, would she go after it or simply go after all wild animals?
In her haste to solve a problem, the problem she addresses is much narrower than telling us we are gun nuts.

Realizing I am mortal at my age of 74, I chose to convert my collection of guns into cash. I had asked family if they would like to inherit them but nobody wanted guns. I kept the pistol for self defense.

Was I paranoid to keep this weapon? No and I will tell you why. This commercial building has had armed men enter 3 of the businesses and hold them up. All robberies were by negros.

I figured I can stay much safer since we seldom have walk in customers, by two steps.
Keep the front door locked and also have the pistol within easy reach.

Having your nightcap a little early?

I thanked that post because of her humor. Nothing against Mundame at all.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/misc/quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by mundame http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=605790#post605790)

Go away.

I feel sorry for Mundame since I believe she is misunderstood and here is why.

She is a mother. We all know that a lot of mothers (wish it was all of them) really hurt when children die. And when they die that way, they hurt much more. They realize but for one man with a gun, those children would be attending school and being kids and doing kids things. She aches for the mothers of the dead kids.

So, being very hurt, she lashes out.

She says she has shot a lot. i believe that. I think in her hurt state, she has got her tit in a wringer is all.

Calling her names will not bring back the kids to life. It does not read well to call a woman a lying sack of shit.

We men also mourn those children but realize that we can't mourn them back to life. We hurt but won't blame all humans for the act of one GD SOB that killed his own mother and drove to school to deal vengeance on the innocents at that school. Maybe he in his stupid way hoped to cause such a rage as to outlaw guns. Maybe he hated guns. Maybe he resented his mom having him shoot guns.

I don't have a clue. I don't claim those reasons are true.

But let's not slap Mundame around because she hurts this much.

You're not interested in conversation. Once again, I remain civil and polite, but you avoid answering once you are proven wrong. I've proved you wrong many times now about the AR-15, and you refuse to ever answer, and then when you reappear, you continue to call whatever you want an "assault weapon", even if it is wrong.

With respect, you are becoming the new hit and run poster here. You always cry foul that it's abusive members, but that's simply not true. Myself, and a few others, have remained polite and factual in our replies, and you won't answer because it will PROVE you wrong with FACTS.

Nothing about Lanza here. I think this is where she got the date from.
The First Annual 'Gun Appreciation Day' Is 48 Hours Before Obama's Inauguration (http://www.debatepolicy.com/articles/the-first-annual-gun-appreciation-day-is-48-hours-before-obama-s-inauguration)
Wed, Jan 09, 2013

According to gun groups who feel threatened by the Obama administration's newfound push for gun-control legislation, January 19 has now been designated "Gun Appreciation Day," which somehow will be somehow different from all the other days gun owners appreciate their firearms. The timing has raised eyebrows since the new "holiday" falls two days before President Obama's inauguration and because the groups behind it — a coalition including the Second Amendment Foundation, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, Citizens and Country, and more — are speaking out against Obama and Democratic lawmakers in particular.

Did you even read the website at all, about the gun appreciation day? You do realize this is about gun owners and gun advocates, promoting and funding a fight against people wanting to violate the 2nd amendment, and protect gun owners? This has nothing to do with Adam Lanza, and nothing to do with violence. With law abiding gun owners not breaking the law, why shouldn't they promote awareness to appropriate guns and their uses, and make as many as possible aware of the 2nd amendment and how their rights would be violated. Why is it so bad for gun owners to have this discussion and promote awareness about rights? Because that's what this is about, not recent tragedies or Adam Lanza.

And there are factors involved that make clear distinctions between a regular rifle and an assault rifle. I'm sorry, even if media across the nation does so, that does not make the weapons assault rifles. If the media suddenly starts stating that 2+2 is 5, would it be true? And yes, that's a great analogy, because it really is that simple. Either it IS listed as an assault rifle, or it is not. That's not opinion, that's 100% fact. And THIS is why gun advocates would want information being promoted. Maybe there would be a little better understanding if the masses were informed that these are not assault rifles, and people were honest and explained what the differences were - which are generally HUGE differences - and that's why people get upset at those who purposely label them wrong.

Outstanding reply.

Thank you for not saying she is full of shit. (As others have done to her)

She may not understand how the media operates as an arm of the Democratic party. I thought she did understand that but maybe not.

I know she included FOX news but no doubt all they do is present two sides. Trying to allege FOX chose one side over the other is not going to be true. Maybe some person on TV at FOX took that side, but they don't control each person such as Hannity so it does not mean FOX took a particular view.

Let me post what i found on the gun appreciation day site. I thought she was yanking our chains but she needs to study the actual site and do not misrepresent what is on the site.

I am shocked at her for trying to say Lanza is being appreciated. No wonder some said she is full of shit. She really needs to make it clear that she does not mean that. I saw where she said she made it up. That pissed off posters.

Now moving on to the actual words on the site.

The First Annual 'Gun Appreciation Day' Is 48 Hours Before Obama's Inauguration (http://www.debatepolicy.com/articles/the-first-annual-gun-appreciation-day-is-48-hours-before-obama-s-inauguration)
Wed, Jan 09, 2013

According to gun groups who feel threatened by the Obama administration's newfound push for gun-control legislation, January 19 has now been designated "Gun Appreciation Day," which somehow will be somehow different from all the other days gun owners appreciate their firearms. The timing has raised eyebrows since the new "holiday" falls two days before President Obama's inauguration and because the groups behind it — a coalition including the Second Amendment Foundation, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, Citizens and Country, and more — are speaking out against Obama and Democratic lawmakers in particular.

mundame
01-12-2013, 12:07 PM
To add more info to Robert Whit's interesting post --

A coalition of groups will hold a national “Gun Appreciation Day” coinciding with President Obama’s inauguration weekend, on Jan. 19. The mishmash of conservatives and gun-rights advocates (http://gunappreciationday.com/) launched their push on Jan. 7, amidst the broad outcry for added gun-control measures in the wake of the Sandy Hook elementary-school shooting on Newtown, Conn., on Dec. 14.
Unsurprisingly, the gun day isn’t sitting too well with gun-control advocates.
Get more pure politics at ABCNews.com/Politics (http://abcnews.go.com/politics)
The liberal group United for Change USA has launched a petition through MoveOn.org (http://www.signon.org/sign/stop-the-nras-gun-appreciati) opposing the day of gun celebration. It reads:
Gun groups are planning to have a National Gun Appreciation Day on January 19th, the same weekend that Americans celebrate the life and service of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., an American leader who was assassinated by a rifle’s bullet. This is an outrage and a slap in the face to Americans who value life and freedom!

The petition is to be delivered to National Rifle Association chief Wayne LaPierre; however, the NRA isn’t listed as one of Gun Appreciation Day’s sponsors, and the day’s chief organizer, Larry Ward, told ABC News that NRA is not involved.

No, I'll just bet the NRA doesn't care to get involved in this PR catastrophe.

But I hope the supporters of "Gun Appreciation Day" here will go in costume to celebrate their most famous shooters.

Let's see, Marcus Aurelius could go in the James Holmes orange clown hair, as the Batman theater shooter. All armored up with Kevlar and crotch protector and orange hair poking out from under his hat. And the AR-15, of course.
http://media1.policymic.com/site/articles/14903/photo.jpg

Tyr could go as the New York shooter who shot his sister and four firefighters and burned down seven houses; he would carry a red gas can and his AR-15 for a costume. Don't catch your hair on fyr, Tyr.

dmp could wear the Adam Lanza costume, loaded down with the usual AR-15, of course, and various Glocks and Sig Sauers and 50 pounds of high-capacity magazines and drag a gunny sack of ammo, and wear the special 2013 edition of the Gun Day Appreciation sunken-cheeks mask of their hero -- Adam Lanza will make a great Scream mask.

http://media1.policymic.com/site/articles/22740/photo.jpg

Let's see, we need a twin act for the most famous rampage shooters; how about abouttime and kathianne costuming as Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold of Columbine High School. Kathianne could be the smart but psychopathic Eric and aboutime could be the....well, the lamebrain follower. They would dress in camouflage and baggy pants with big pockets for the ammo and handguns and the long black Trenchcoat Mafia coats for cool -- and, obviously, the usual obligatory AR-15s.

Might get a little boring on Gun Appreciation Day with all those speeches about some old guys in the 18th century and how much they'd have loved psychotics all having 2012 assault rifles, so
pretty soon somebody would start a fight and they'd all blow each other away with their AR-15s.

Problem solved.

jimnyc
01-12-2013, 12:50 PM
But I hope the supporters of "Gun Appreciation Day" here will go in costume to celebrate their most famous shooters.

I refuse to even quote the pictures and comparisons to members here who support the 2nd amendment. That's going a little far in vilifying people who have not done a damned thing wrong. Seriously, mundame, you should think before posting stuff like that. You just compared some fine folks here to animals. Not cool, IMO.

jimnyc
01-12-2013, 12:52 PM
and, obviously, the usual obligatory AR-15s

I have a respectful question of you, and I'm very serious. You are STUCK on the AR15 apparently and make it sound out to be the gun of all time, while it's merely a regular old rifle. You wouldn't do this unless you were 100% sure it's been used in TONS of murders. Can you give us proof of this?

bingster
01-13-2013, 05:05 PM
Interesting that they call them assault rifles but never mention which weapons they are. Anyway, why are those that exercise their rights "gun nuts"?

It was your network (FOX)!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-13-2013, 05:18 PM

Damn Jim, you own a news network and didn't tell us!! --:D-Tyr

jimnyc
01-13-2013, 05:39 PM

I don't watch Fox news, sorry! And I don't have their website bookmarked either. And before you accuse me further, I don't listen to Rush Limbaugh, Hannity or Glenn Beck either.

hjmick
01-13-2013, 06:31 PM
Nothing worth quoting, I just wanted to make sure there was no confusion as to whom I was replying...

Truly, there was a time when you had my respect. You struck me as a thoughtful member of our community, one who gave serious consideration and weight to what they posted. Sadly, in this thread you have not only lost my respect, but you have also, through this despicable post, proven yourself to be lower than pond scum. If I were you, I would think twice before returning to this particular board, if for no other reason than you are not to be taken seriously.

Drummond
01-17-2013, 01:09 PM

A coalition of groups will hold a national “Gun Appreciation Day” coinciding with President Obama’s inauguration weekend, on Jan. 19. The mishmash of conservatives and gun-rights advocates (http://gunappreciationday.com/) launched their push on Jan. 7, amidst the broad outcry for added gun-control measures in the wake of the Sandy Hook elementary-school shooting on Newtown, Conn., on Dec. 14.
The liberal group United for Change USA has launched a petition through MoveOn.org (http://www.signon.org/sign/stop-the-nras-gun-appreciati) opposing the day of gun celebration. It reads:
Gun groups are planning to have a National Gun Appreciation Day on January 19th, the same weekend that Americans celebrate the life and service of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., an American leader who was assassinated by a rifle’s bullet. This is an outrage and a slap in the face to Americans who value life and freedom!

The petition is to be delivered to National Rifle Association chief Wayne LaPierre; however, the NRA isn’t listed as one of Gun Appreciation Day’s sponsors, and the day’s chief organizer, Larry Ward, told ABC News that NRA is not involved.

Let's see, Marcus Aurelius could go in the James Holmes orange clown hair, as the Batman theater shooter. All armored up with Kevlar and crotch protector and orange hair poking out from under his hat. And the AR-15, of course.

Tyr could go as the New York shooter who shot his sister and four firefighters and burned down seven houses; he would carry a red gas can and his AR-15 for a costume. Don't catch your hair on fyr, Tyr.

dmp could wear the Adam Lanza costume, loaded down with the usual AR-15, of course, and various Glocks and Sig Sauers and 50 pounds of high-capacity magazines and drag a gunny sack of ammo, and wear the special 2013 edition of the Gun Day Appreciation sunken-cheeks mask of their hero -- Adam Lanza will make a great Scream mask.

Let's see, we need a twin act for the most famous rampage shooters; how about abouttime and kathianne costuming as Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold of Columbine High School. Kathianne could be the smart but psychopathic Eric and aboutime could be the....well, the lamebrain follower. They would dress in camouflage and baggy pants with big pockets for the ammo and handguns and the long black Trenchcoat Mafia coats for cool -- and, obviously, the usual obligatory AR-15s.

Might get a little boring on Gun Appreciation Day with all those speeches about some old guys in the 18th century and how much they'd have loved psychotics all having 2012 assault rifles, so
pretty soon somebody would start a fight and they'd all blow each other away with their AR-15s.

Problem solved.

Mundame, you've surprised me with the comments I've seen in your post. My belief was that you would not be a contributor who'd descend to such grotesque and insulting caricatures of participants who IN NO WAY DESERVE THEM. I actually had greater respect for you than this.

Perhaps, upon reflection, you may feel that apologies are in order ? I would certainly hope so.

My interest in cordial debate with you has diminished - which I think is a shame.

If you're not willing to engender respect, you cannot be surprised if you experience an absence of it.

tailfins
01-17-2013, 01:14 PM
I don't watch Fox news, sorry! And I don't have their website bookmarked either. And before you accuse me further, I don't listen to Rush Limbaugh, Hannity or Glenn Beck either.

Now you've confirmed it! I always knew you were a little weird.

I don't have Fox News bookmarked either because I know how to spell seven-letter domains.

jimnyc
01-17-2013, 01:21 PM
Now you've confirmed it! I always knew you were a little weird.

I don't have Fox News bookmarked either because I know how to spell seven-letter domains.

Well, all you had to do was ask, I never hid the fact that I am a bastard, a dirtbag & mentally unstable. I had thought this was widely known. :beer:

Robert A Whit
01-17-2013, 05:02 PM

Problem solved.

You have a mean streak.

I expected more from you.

Please, just talk to the point and stop going after posters.

A friendly love tap. :coffee:

red states rule
01-17-2013, 05:04 PM

Yea, they are once again the #1 rated cable news network for the 11th year in a row. I am sure that pisses you off to no end :laugh2:

Robert A Whit
01-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Well, all you had to do was ask, I never hid the fact that I am a bastard, a dirtbag & mentally unstable. I had thought this was widely known. :beer:

Don't let him shit you Jim.

Look, his avatar is an old 1959 Chevy wagon.

That tells you something right there.

He could have gone for the flashy 2 dr Impala with the big engine.

I had a pal once that loved new cars. And he hated driving. If he bought a new car, he would want others to drive his car. I drove his black 59 Impala all the time. It had plenty of power. I drove it for instance from the SF Bay area to Yosemite and back. We did a day trip. (I think it had 335 HP along with the 4 speed stick shift tranny. )

Anyway, this same guy coveted my 56 Chevy Bel Aire that was customized and had a very powerful engine. He traded in my old car once I sold it and he bought it on the 59 Impala.

Both cars were very stunning.

I would never have used the wagon as an avatar.

Back in those days, the Chevy Nomad was a very nice looking car.

jimnyc
01-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Don't let him shit you Jim.

Look, his avatar is an old 1959 Chevy wagon.

That tells you something right there.

He could have gone for the flashy 2 dr Impala with the big engine.

I had a pal once that loved new cars. And he hated driving. If he bought a new car, he would want others to drive his car. I drove his black 59 Impala all the time. It had plenty of power. I drove it for instance from the SF Bay area to Yosemite and back. We did a day trip. (I think it had 335 HP along with the 4 speed stick shift tranny. )

Anyway, this same guy coveted my 56 Chevy Bel Aire that was customized and had a very powerful engine. He traded in my old car once I sold it and he bought it on the 59 Impala.

Both cars were very stunning.

I would never have used the wagon as an avatar.

Back in those days, the Chevy Nomad was a very nice looking car.

Man, we went from assault rifles, to avatars, to an Impala, a Bel Aire and onto the Nomad. Strop drinking the coffee, Robert!! :coffee2::hyper:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Man, we went from assault rifles, to avatars, to an Impala, a Bel Aire and onto the Nomad. Strop drinking the coffee, Robert!! :coffee2::hyper:

Hell Jim, I enjoyed reading his post as it has character. Not suggesting that threads be derailed but personal reflections add to this site IMHO. Helps give a better mental image of the person that one is reading and debating.-Tyr

jimnyc
01-17-2013, 07:15 PM
Hell Jim, I enjoyed reading his post as it has character. Not suggesting that threads be derailed but personal reflections add to this site IMHO. Helps give a better mental image of the person that one is reading and debating.-Tyr

I agree! I was just busting 'ol Bobby's chops a tad! :)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-17-2013, 07:21 PM
I agree! I was just busting 'ol Bobby's chops a tad! :)

I SUSPECTED AS MUCH AMIGO..-:beer:-Tyr