PDA

View Full Version : Truck in the shop

jimnyc
01-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Heard and felt the noise when hitting the brakes a couple of days ago, seems to be metal on metal. Turns out to be the rear brakes. Hopefully it won't be too awfully expensive! It's a 2004 Toyota 4-Runner, and I like to take care of her! Less than 70k on the engine and I ensure it gets into the shop religiously to be maintained. The only thing wrong is that it's not garage kept, so the paint job isn't "perfect", but still looks pretty good for a 9yr old truck.

tailfins
01-11-2013, 01:58 PM
Heard and felt the noise when hitting the brakes a couple of days ago, seems to be metal on metal. Turns out to be the rear brakes. Hopefully it won't be too awfully expensive! It's a 2004 Toyota 4-Runner, and I like to take care of her! Less than 70k on the engine and I ensure it gets into the shop religiously to be maintained. The only thing wrong is that it's not garage kept, so the paint job isn't "perfect", but still looks pretty good for a 9yr old truck.

It's generally cheaper to replace the whole brake system yourself than to pay labor to have brake problems diagnosed.

jimnyc
01-11-2013, 02:05 PM
It's generally cheaper to replace the whole brake system yourself than to pay labor to have brake problems diagnosed.

Luckily, I'll get a good deal. It's in the shop where I always talk about my Muslim friends. The owner has me fix his computer like 300x per year and never pays me. I get some free coffee here and there. But where he is generous is when I get my truck worked on. He pays for most oil changes or inspections. When it comes to stuff like this, or when I needed my 4 tires, he only charges me what it costs him, no profit at all on parts. While not free installation, it's usually lower than what the average joe would pay. He's got to pay his guys, but he doesn't want a profit from me there.

That's because he makes about 6 million dollars per year on gas from me buying there at Mobil. And then I should own stock in the mini store he has there where I am friends with all of the workers. Although, he took a hit in the past 2 years since I quit smoking. Hell, he lost over 20.00 per day on my smokes alone! Then I stopped drinking Dr. Pepper and a lot of snacks, but I think I made up for that with coffee, tea and vitamin water.

darin
01-11-2013, 02:25 PM
I was shopping for a 2001-2002 4Runner - great truck, Jim

Rear discs? > $100 in parts and 20 minutes, tops per side for pads. :)

I advise to NOT buy the 'longest-lasting' brake pads/shoes. Buy those which work the best. Hard-working pads = best stopping performance.

jimnyc
01-11-2013, 02:34 PM
I was shopping for a 2001-2002 4Runner - great truck, Jim

Rear discs? > $100 in parts and 20 minutes, tops per side for pads. :)

I advise to NOT buy the 'longest-lasting' brake pads/shoes. Buy those which work the best. Hard-working pads = best stopping performance.

Yep, disc. I have no idea what pads they'll put on. Never really thought about that before. I'll look when I go back though!

darin
01-11-2013, 10:25 PM
Keep in mind, front brakes do most of the work. Semi-metallic there.
, at least. Rears can be less grippy if you must. Toyota4runner.org I think - might find recommendation

jimnyc
01-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Damn, no specifics, but not much of a discount either! LOL

Labor to remove and install rear brakes and rotors - $65x2 = 130.00
Rear brake rotors - $58x2 = $116
Rear brake pad set = $75.00
Total - $344.68

No more free computer fixes for that fucker!! LOL

darin
01-13-2013, 11:53 AM

Total - $344.68

Did you ask why he replaced the rotors? Unless they are way thin from having been turned, or you can feel deep ridges when sliding your finger across them, there's no need. :(

Should be "Replace rear brake pads = $65. New brake pad set $75"

ConHog
01-18-2013, 03:53 PM
Keep in mind, front brakes do most of the work. Semi-metallic there.
, at least. Rears can be less grippy if you must. Toyota4runner.org I think - might find recommendation

you're a little behind the times on your brake tech bruh.

Ceramic all the way. Most are around $40 per set and that is lifetime warranty.

No brake dust, no noise, better performance, longer life.

No drawbacks at all.

ConHog
01-18-2013, 04:00 PM

Total - $344.68

he charged you retail for sure, but he didn't rip you off.

ceramic disc pad $32
rear rotors $#36 X 2

autozone prices

labor looks like he was right on at 2 hours.