PDA

View Full Version : If you think a college education gets you nowhere...

gabosaurus
01-12-2013, 01:42 AM
Think again. A recent survey reveals that college graduates have much more success finding a suitable job than those with less education.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/01/the-biggest-myth-about-college-graduates-and-the-recession-busted/267058/

Kathianne
01-12-2013, 02:08 AM
Think again. A recent survey reveals that college graduates have much more success finding a suitable job than those with less education.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/01/the-biggest-myth-about-college-graduates-and-the-recession-busted/267058/

College is really great today, for those that have a clear picture of what they want to do, what the markets need. Not so good for those that think they need college to get a job over $30k. Most will fail, with difficult debt ratio.

Truth is, today both students and parents of HS grads should evaluate carefully. If in top 25% and wanting college, go for it. Consider costs. Perhaps jr. college can fill in the prerequisites.

Top half, 'really, really' consider jr college. Not just for the costs, but for exposing one to subjects and effort that may have been missing earlier. Need help in writing? It's there, get your butt down to the help.

Want to go to college, your teachers told you that was the way to succeed, but you fall in lower 1/2 of class. Now it's more on YOU than anyone else. Why are you in lower 1/2? Was it language or lack of effort? You're not being graded and there are not gimmee points. So, fess up to yourself, no reason to be honest with everyone. But YOU must recognize. If you can do the work? That is what IS great about America. At 19 or 20, one decides to work their butt off. You can.

OTOH, you realize after a few semesters in jr college, that the reading, writing, math are beyond your background. You want to succeed, but this doesn't seem the route. So? Go to 'career counseling,' they've tens of suggestions for those with talents that are outside of academics. Truth is, this is really where jr colleges shine.

fj1200
01-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Think again.

Who thinks that? It's the cost vs. the benefit and whether the system should be subsidized to the extent it has been which is a cost driver.

aboutime
01-12-2013, 07:42 PM

gabby. So tell us. WHO disagree's with that?

Problem isn't too much education, or being Overly qualified from attending college. Truth is. American students all want to be instant millionaires, and not willing to work toward getting there.
Not to mention....how there are growing shortages of BLUE COLLAR tradesmen, or trainee's like Electricians, Plumbers, and the Manufacturing trades like Machinists.

Eventually. Those BLUE COLLAR, experienced people will be under so much demand. The college grads who CAN'T FIND their instant millions...will still need their TOILET unclogged, and their Electrical devices...repaired.

tailfins
01-12-2013, 08:08 PM

An MCSE still looks like a much better deal than a college degree.

tailfins
01-12-2013, 08:11 PM
College is really great today, for those that have a clear picture of what they want to do, what the markets need. Not so good for those that think they need college to get a job over $30k. Most will fail, with difficult debt ratio.

Truth is, today both students and parents of HS grads should evaluate carefully. If in top 25% and wanting college, go for it. Consider costs. Perhaps jr. college can fill in the prerequisites.

Top half, 'really, really' consider jr college. Not just for the costs, but for exposing one to subjects and effort that may have been missing earlier. Need help in writing? It's there, get your butt down to the help.

Want to go to college, your teachers told you that was the way to succeed, but you fall in lower 1/2 of class. Now it's more on YOU than anyone else. Why are you in lower 1/2? Was it language or lack of effort? You're not being graded and there are not gimmee points. So, fess up to yourself, no reason to be honest with everyone. But YOU must recognize. If you can do the work? That is what IS great about America. At 19 or 20, one decides to work their butt off. You can.

OTOH, you realize after a few semesters in jr college, that the reading, writing, math are beyond your background. You want to succeed, but this doesn't seem the route. So? Go to 'career counseling,' they've tens of suggestions for those with talents that are outside of academics. Truth is, this is really where jr colleges shine.

Is that true, Jim? How has it worked out for you?

cadet
01-12-2013, 08:23 PM
gabby. So tell us. WHO disagree's with that?

Problem isn't too much education, or being Overly qualified from attending college. Truth is. American students all want to be instant millionaires, and not willing to work toward getting there.
Not to mention....how there are growing shortages of BLUE COLLAR tradesmen, or trainee's like Electricians, Plumbers, and the Manufacturing trades like Machinists.

Eventually. Those BLUE COLLAR, experienced people will be under so much demand. The college grads who CAN'T FIND their instant millions...will still need their TOILET unclogged, and their Electrical devices...repaired.

No, the problem is liberal arts colleges/degree's.

Kathianne
01-13-2013, 02:24 AM
An MCSE still looks like a much better deal than a college degree.

For those that can do that. Obviously, well maybe not, many cannot. That was my original point.

For some, a college degree is the ticket. If they can do the work. For others it may be a two year practical degree from a jr. college. Very affordable, with financial aid available for the less than middle class.

For others, may be an apprenticeship or hands on training of another sort.

Yes, there are some that may not be able to break out of the bottom tier of minimum wage plus 'experience.' Yet even here, as well as all the previously listed, there will be those who risk 'security' to break out on their own, entrepreneurs. Few, but significant.

darin
01-13-2013, 11:36 AM
I disagree. College today is a marketing ploy; paying big-dollars to people to "teach" you how to think just like them. Everybody in business says "A degree is just a piece of paper - but you NEED that paper" are furthering the big-business of "education".

When colleges were useful? Same time labor unions made sense.

:) Truth in lending; I 'thought' about trying to stomach the cost of finishing my degree; cannot make the business argument for it. Waste of money.

Higher Educators today - in large part - are 'evangelists' for their world view. Why would I want to pay some jack-wagon to preach to me? Look at what college did for Obama - Made him a terrible mess. Look who our "most educated" vote for? Stupid people.

gabosaurus
01-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Look who our "most educated" vote for? Stupid people.

Who sits around complaining about things instead of getting things done?
Yep. :thumb:

Abbey Marie
01-13-2013, 12:13 PM
Who thinks that? It's the cost vs. the benefit and whether the system should be subsidized to the extent it has been which is a cost driver.

I have seen a few articles lately on my home page and in the general news casting doubt on the worth of a college degree. I'm surprised you haven't seen them.

aboutime
01-13-2013, 12:16 PM
Who sits around complaining about things instead of getting things done?
Yep. :thumb:

Thank you very much gabby. Many of us have been looking for JUST THE RIGHT WORDS to describe you. And, look what you did above!
Never thought I'd hear you bragging so much.

cadet
01-13-2013, 02:19 PM
I disagree. College today is a marketing ploy; paying big-dollars to people to "teach" you how to think just like them. Everybody in business says "A degree is just a piece of paper - but you NEED that paper" are furthering the big-business of "education".

When colleges were useful? Same time labor unions made sense.

:) Truth in lending; I 'thought' about trying to stomach the cost of finishing my degree; cannot make the business argument for it. Waste of money.

Higher Educators today - in large part - are 'evangelists' for their world view. Why would I want to pay some jack-wagon to preach to me? Look at what college did for Obama - Made him a terrible mess. Look who our "most educated" vote for? Stupid people.

I totally agree. There's way too much emphasis on a college degree these days. It's completely unfair for someone to not get a job just because of a degree. Say you've been working on cars your whole life, and know them inside out. But you can't get the job cause it needs an engineering degree.

Personally, if i owned a business, I wouldn't give a hoot about what a piece of paper says.

fj1200
01-13-2013, 02:27 PM
I have seen a few articles lately on my home page and in the general news casting doubt on the worth of a college degree. I'm surprised you haven't seen them.

I have those doubts. I didn't mean to say otherwise if that's how it came across. :) I've probably glanced at a couple articles but more considering the student loan bubble and how that's playing out; it's more of government subsidization of old thinking.

tailfins
01-13-2013, 03:26 PM
I disagree. College today is a marketing ploy; paying big-dollars to people to "teach" you how to think just like them. Everybody in business says "A degree is just a piece of paper - but you NEED that paper" are furthering the big-business of "education". When colleges were useful? Same time labor unions made sense. :) Truth in lending; I 'thought' about trying to stomach the cost of finishing my degree; cannot make the business argument for it. Waste of money. Higher Educators today - in large part - are 'evangelists' for their world view. Why would I want to pay some jack-wagon to preach to me? Look at what college did for Obama - Made him a terrible mess. Look who our "most educated" vote for? Stupid people. A STEM degree from a state university still seems like a good deal. I recommend a tech bias when making electives. For example I satisfied a language arts requirement with "logic and language" and a technical writing course. A behavioral sciences requirement can be satisfied with social statistics. An economics requirement can be satisfied with Econometrics.

darin
01-13-2013, 03:40 PM
A STEM degree from a state university still seems like a good deal. I recommend a tech bias when making electives. For example I satisfied a language arts requirement with "logic and language" and a technical writing course. A behavioral sciences requirement can be satisfied with social statistics. An economics requirement can be satisfied with Econometrics.

I appreciate that; but I can't make the cost - benefit analysis work in favour of that. My line of work will change a few times as I progress through the ranks; but realistically, I only have a couple pay grades left before I'm topped out - unless by some miracle I'm selected for Senior Executive Service.

Abbey Marie
01-13-2013, 04:54 PM
I appreciate that; but I can't make the cost - benefit analysis work in favour of that. My line of work will change a few times as I progress through the ranks; but realistically, I only have a couple pay grades left before I'm topped out - unless by some miracle I'm selected for Senior Executive Service.

Bet you are. :thumb: