PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions?

WiccanLiberal
01-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Anybody have any good recipes for a ham steak? I usually do a honey, soy sauce and mustard glaze but I am always looking for something new. Thanks.

fj1200
01-12-2013, 03:37 PM
I'm not a big fan of ham but my sister makes a rum raisin sauce, internet recipes abound I'm sure, that makes it OK.

aboutime
01-12-2013, 04:35 PM
Anybody have any good recipes for a ham steak? I usually do a honey, soy sauce and mustard glaze but I am always looking for something new. Thanks.

I always loved to cook, and lately. Haven't been able to do so around the holidays. But I have given my own recipes to my wife on just such things.
Matter of fact. Try two tablespoons of Brown suger, mixed with the juices from the ham. Add ONE Can of Chopped Pineapple, with the juice, and allow it to boil after removing the Ham from the cooker/crockpot/roasting pan.

It will thicken if you also add One Tablespoon of Cornstarch and watch it boil.

Remove from heat after boiling and pour into a GRAVY BOAT.

Pineapple can also be blended with Honey, and Brown sugar.
It's GOOD.

MtnBiker
01-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Ham steak, hmmm. Try this glaze;

Apricot preserves 1 cup
serrano pepper small dice - 1 each or 2 if you want more heat
soy sauce - 1/4 cup
whiskey - 1/4 cup
brown sugar 1/4 cup

Combine all ingredients is a sauce pan and simmer on medium heat until a nice glaze viscosity is achieved.
Brush on your ham steaks before and during the cooking time. I would do on a medium heat grill or about 200 in an oven.

NT'sGirl
01-12-2013, 07:08 PM
Can of Coke simmered and reduced garlic and cayenne pepper to taste
Used to do spiral cuts basted with Coke (Pepsi does not taste the same)

Tossed on the BBQ with fresh pineapple slices grilled and green pepper wedges served over rice with a squeeze of orange.

or
5 lb. smoked ham
Whole cloves
Brown sugar
6 oz. can frozen orange juice concentrate
6 oz. sliced onions
2 tbsp. water
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cubes instant beef bouillon
3 c. water
1/4 c. tomato paste
1 tsp. orange peel
2 tsp. mustard
Place ham on rack in roasting pan. Score ham with knife. Stud with cloves, sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake at 325 degrees 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Baste with orange juice.In non-stick skillet, heat onions, garlic, broth until slightly brown. Add water and tomato paste, cook until sauce is reduced 1/3. Stir in mustard and orange peel

just reduce for the amount of ham

<tbody style="width: 640px; font-size: 1.1em;">

</tbody>

WiccanLiberal
01-12-2013, 07:16 PM
Tried the brown sugar and pineapple one. It was fantastic. I'll try the apricot and whiskey one next time (had no whiskey in the house tonight to do that one).

aboutime
01-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Tried the brown sugar and pineapple one. It was fantastic. I'll try the apricot and whiskey one next time (had no whiskey in the house tonight to do that one).

Good to hear. Glad you liked it. Guess that was my GOOD DEED for the New Year.

If you have any of it left. It's great to use when re-heating the Ham, just before putting it in a sandwich.
The pineapple and brown sugar almost become a candy-like texture when it cools.

Kathianne
01-13-2013, 02:38 AM
Ham steak, hmmm. Try this glaze;

Apricot preserves 1 cup
serrano pepper small dice - 1 each or 2 if you want more heat
soy sauce - 1/4 cup
whiskey - 1/4 cup
brown sugar 1/4 cup

Combine all ingredients is a sauce pan and simmer on medium heat until a nice glaze viscosity is achieved.
Brush on your ham steaks before and during the cooking time. I would do on a medium heat grill or about 200 in an oven.

MtnBiker is as close as those of us on DP will get to a master chef. I'd take serious his suggestions.