PDA

View Full Version : Close encounter with a Polar Bear!

jimnyc
01-12-2013, 01:55 PM
That things seems WAY too flimsy for me. I would not want this thing hunting me!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jH4KrdBp5OQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jimnyc
01-12-2013, 02:00 PM
And then the other side of these huge animals!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g7rZTZBOrqQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5bcl0yrHPwk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JE-Nyt4Bmi8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Abbey Marie
01-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Wow! Beautiful, terrifying.

WiccanLiberal
01-12-2013, 04:13 PM
Those videos are amazing. I can't imagine getting that close to such a huge predator. The closest I have ever some to a large carnivore was a chance to pet a 4 month old lion cub at a safari park. I think I'll confine my admiration of such beasts to a healthy distance. At my age I can't run all that fast.

Kathianne
01-13-2013, 03:07 AM
Those videos are amazing. I can't imagine getting that close to such a huge predator. The closest I have ever some to a large carnivore was a chance to pet a 4 month old lion cub at a safari park. I think I'll confine my admiration of such beasts to a healthy distance. At my age I can't run all that fast.

You and me both, my Wiccan sister!

NT'sGirl
01-13-2013, 11:44 AM

Although I have not spent much time with Polars, I have spent more than your average time with brown and black bears. They are truly amazing, smart and funny, each with their own personality. For the most part pretty easy going unless they are hungry or you mess with them first. I spent an hour asking a 2 year old Kodiak brown to please move on....ummm really you should go now before some one else wakes up and freaks out on you! He just thought it was fun to check out the humans stuff, took a stroll around the tents on platforms, walking around my kitchen tent pushing on the door, that was the final straw. told him you walk in that door and you are going to get it! So he wandered away from the kitchen just casual... we chatted for 10 more minutes and he walked up to my tent about 15 feet from where I was sitting, turned and walked the trail back into the woods. I was not overly worried, they tend to respond to how your react, I had my 12 gauge at arms length if he decided to get out of line and one shot from that would have gotten everyone up, but bears are usually pretty easy to read and are just down right nosy and want to see what stuff is then move on. Younger ones are the worst and are not as easy to get along with they really are like teenagers

I have learned a lot from bears
1. You are not that important or impressive, I can eat you any time if I choose to, but really you are not worth the effort
2. Relax.... enjoy the quiet places
3. Play! always.... unless it is nap time
4. Be respectful... because you can does not mean you should and there is always someone bigger, stronger or smarter who will remind you should you forget
5. I am who I am, don't expect me to be anything less

Robert A Whit
01-13-2013, 12:48 PM
Although I have not spent much time with Polars, I have spent more than your average time with brown and black bears. They are truly amazing, smart and funny, each with their own personality. For the most part pretty easy going unless they are hungry or you mess with them first. I spent an hour asking a 2 year old Kodiak brown to please move on....ummm really you should go now before some one else wakes up and freaks out on you! He just thought it was fun to check out the humans stuff, took a stroll around the tents on platforms, walking around my kitchen tent pushing on the door, that was the final straw. told him you walk in that door and you are going to get it! So he wandered away from the kitchen just casual... we chatted for 10 more minutes and he walked up to my tent about 15 feet from where I was sitting, turned and walked the trail back into the woods. I was not overly worried, they tend to respond to how your react, I had my 12 gauge at arms length if he decided to get out of line and one shot from that would have gotten everyone up, but bears are usually pretty easy to read and are just down right nosy and want to see what stuff is then move on. Younger ones are the worst and are not as easy to get along with they really are like teenagers

I have learned a lot from bears
1. You are not that important or impressive, I can eat you any time if I choose to, but really you are not worth the effort
2. Relax.... enjoy the quiet places
3. Play! always.... unless it is nap time
4. Be respectful... because you can does not mean you should and there is always someone bigger, stronger or smarter who will remind you should you forget
5. I am who I am, don't expect me to be anything less

Then there was this younger guy that loved bears. Camped out with the bears of Alaska.

They had him for dinner.

NT'sGirl
01-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Then there was this younger guy that loved bears. Camped out with the bears of Alaska.

They had him for dinner.

lol But he was retarded! and wanted to hug them..... I at least know they are wild and am prepared

I was on an island with 30 bears and 15 humans the odds were not in my favor to piss them all off