PDA

View Full Version : New York governor declares public health emergency to combat flu

jimnyc
01-13-2013, 04:50 PM
I haven't had a flu shot in as long as I can remember. I'd be surprised if I had even just one since I was a child. But with these being an "epidemic", should I get a shot?

(Reuters) - New York Governor Andrew Cuomo declared a public health emergency on Saturday, giving pharmacists permission to administer flu vaccinations to more people as officials seek to stem the worst flu outbreak in that state in several years.

Cuomo's order came a day after federal health officials said that fast-spreading influenza had officially reached epidemic proportions in the United States, following an early start.

Nine of the 10 U.S. regions had "elevated" flu activity last week, and 20 children across the country have died, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Friday.

In New York, the governor's office said 19,128 cases of influenza have been reported this season, compared with 4,404 positive laboratory tests reported for the entire 2011-2012 season.

"We are experiencing the worst flu season since at least 2009, and influenza activity in New York state is widespread, with cases reported in all 57 counties and all five boroughs of New York City," Cuomo said on Saturday.

As of January 5, the state health department had reports of 2,884 patients hospitalized with laboratory-confirmed influenza, compared with 1,169 total hospitalizations in 2011.

http://news.yahoo.com/york-governor-declares-public-health-emergency-combat-flu-200003634.html

Abbey Marie
01-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Yes. Got mine about a month ago. We are out of vaccine around here for now; hope you have better luck.

taft2012
01-13-2013, 05:18 PM
I remember, once upon a time, it was the fault of the President of the United States when flu vaccines ran out.

I guess that standard doesn't apply any longer.

I wonder why not?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-13-2013, 05:22 PM
I haven't had a flu shot in as long as I can remember. I'd be surprised if I had even just one since I was a child. But with these being an "epidemic", should I get a shot?

http://news.yahoo.com/york-governor-declares-public-health-emergency-combat-flu-200003634.html

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/13/16492631-hospitals-crack-down-on-workers-who-refuse-flu-shots?lite

I'd say you should study it a bit. People refusing to take the shots are medical workers. Ask yourself why!?? -Tyr
<header style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 25.59375px;">Hospitals crack down on workers who refuse flu shots

</header>By Lindsey Tanner, The Associated Press
Patients can refuse a flu shot. Should doctors and nurses have that right, too? That is the thorny question surfacing as U.S. hospitals increasingly crack down on employees who won't get flu shots, with some workers losing their jobs over their refusal.
"Where does it say that I am no longer a patient if I'm a nurse," wondered Carrie Calhoun, a longtime critical care nurse in suburban Chicago who was fired last month after she refused a flu shot.

LIVE POLL

VIEW RESULTS

Hospitals' get-tougher measures coincide with an earlier-than-usual flu season hitting harder than in recent mild seasons. Flu is widespread in most states, and at least 20 children have died.
Most doctors and nurses do get flu shots. But in the past two months, at least 15 nurses and other hospital staffers in four states have been fired for refusing, and several others have resigned, according to affected workers, hospital authorities and published reports.

In Rhode Island, one of three states with tough penalties behind a mandatory vaccine policy for health care workers, more than 1,000 workers recently signed a petition opposing the policy, according to a labor union that has filed suit to end the regulation..

taft2012
01-13-2013, 05:25 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38743-2004Oct16.html

Sen. John F. Kerry jumped on the flu-vaccine shortage yesterday with a new television ad blaming the situation on President Bush.

In what may be the first presidential campaign commercial dealing with the flu, the Democratic nominee is trying to portray the vaccine squeeze as typical of the president's mishandling of health care.

In the ad, a narrator says: "Three years ago, medical experts warned George Bush that a dangerous shortage loomed. Instead of fixing the problem, production of the vaccine was sent to a factory overseas -- the vaccines were contaminated. Now Bush wants Canada to help, even though his own policies make it illegal for us to import medicine from Canada. <nitf>
"Seniors and children wait. Not enough vaccines for pregnant women. A George Bush mess."</nitf>

<nitf>The spot, which features headlines from USA Today, The Washington Post, the Orlando Sentinel and the New York Times, is typical of the "crash ads" the campaign has been making lately to capitalize on breaking news.</nitf>

<nitf>In 2001, the General Accounting Office cautioned that ensuring an adequate flu vaccine supply had become more difficult because of a dwindling number of manufacturers and that problems at one of the two or three remaining vaccine makers could "significantly impact overall vaccine availability." The crisis was triggered 12 days ago when a British agency halted shipments from a Liverpool-based vaccine maker because of bacterial contamination.</nitf>

WiccanLiberal
01-13-2013, 05:28 PM
I highly recommend getting a flu shot. Flu is NOT a minor illness. People die of it all the time. Just about all the workers at my hospital have gotten one. I got mine at my MD office in early October. Most drug store clinics seem to have no problem getting the vaccine in NY.

hjmick
01-13-2013, 06:19 PM
Last I heard, the current strain running rampant in our nation isn't covered in the currently stocked vaccines.

I have never had a flu shot and it's been decades since I had the flu. My wife has had three, each time contracting the virus and getting so sick she thought she would die. She can be a tad dramatic at times, but she was damn sick.

fj1200
01-14-2013, 05:15 AM
I'd say you should study it a bit. People refusing to take the shots are medical workers. Ask yourself why!?? -Tyr

...Most doctors and nurses do get flu shots.

Your commentary doesn't match the article. SOME people refusing are medical workers.

darin
01-14-2013, 06:36 AM
My doctor advised me to not get one, forever. My body, sexy as it is, has issues at times. My white-blood cells are hyperactive. Very threatening condition developed after my smallpox vaccine - had a call from the CDC from it, actually, once they got word. So - no flu shots for me anymore.

mundame
01-14-2013, 12:18 PM
Jimmy, please get a flu shot!!

They are required at Johns Hopkins, even for non-medical staff. Everyone.

We both got ours in October but just now came out of a week of flu --- which was MILD. I thought it was a cold. Himself was worse, and his doc diagnosed flu, and an "epidemic" email came from the hospital then, too. So it was influenza.

The thing is, they left out something again, as happens every few years, and one of the left-out strains took off. But still, if you had the shot, the disease is milder, maybe like a cold if you are lucky.

Flu can be seriously bad; I've been down groaning for a week with high fevers at least three times in my life, and the last time, I got so dehydrated I ended up in the Emergency Room getting saline hydration. You don't want that happening. Drink lots of fluids.

Remembering all that, I love my flu shots.

jimnyc
01-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Jimmy, please get a flu shot!!

They are required at Johns Hopkins, even for non-medical staff. Everyone.

We both got ours in October but just now came out of a week of flu --- which was MILD. I thought it was a cold. Himself was worse, and his doc diagnosed flu, and an "epidemic" email came from the hospital then, too. So it was influenza.

The thing is, they left out something again, as happens every few years, and one of the left-out strains took off. But still, if you had the shot, the disease is milder, maybe like a cold if you are lucky.

Flu can be seriously bad; I've been down groaning for a week with high fevers at least three times in my life, and the last time, I got so dehydrated I ended up in the Emergency Room getting saline hydration. You don't want that happening. Drink lots of fluids.

Remembering all that, I love my flu shots.

I understand requiring them of health employees, as they have direct contact with others in vulnerable positions in which they can pass it onto. I don't have that, and I also haven't had the flu, that I am aware of, in eons. I'm afraid that if I get it, I'll "get it".

mundame
01-14-2013, 12:32 PM
A lot of people are afraid the flu shot will give them flu. I believe that is impossible, however, except for some immune-compromised people like dmp.

What happens is that people get the flu shot, and it takes two weeks to kick in, and they catch the flu before it goes to work! Then they blame the flu shot, but that's not fair.

Also, this year, it's not working well, so you may indeed catch flu, but not from the shot, just from the air, though it should be milder if you had the shot. Ours was, we recovered pretty quickly. Himself had it worse than I did, coughing and real tired and so on. But it helps, even if it doesn't entirely work this year. I think that's why the public health people are so eager for people to get the shot, they want people not to get so sick as they might without it, and clog up the hospitals.

revelarts
01-14-2013, 12:35 PM
Mundame sorry, but --shudder-- "i love my flu shots" .

for a contrary position,
I've never taken flu shot. I may have had the flu once.

www.scientificamerican.com (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=flu-shots-may-not-protect-the-elderly-or-the-very-young)/

Flu Shots May Not Protect the Elderly or the Very Young

Despite government recommendations, there is little evidence that flu vaccines help individuals older than 65 or younger than two
By Melinda Wenner Moyer (http://www.scientificamerican.com/author.cfm?id=2339)

Influenza A (H1N1) 2009 Monovalent Vaccine Image: flickr/ghinso Every year around this time, 120 million Americans roll up their sleeves to get their annual flu shots. Since 2010, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has recommended yearly jabs for every healthy American over the age of six months. The goal is to curb the spread of infection and minimize the risk for potentially dangerous complications such as pneumonia, particularly among the elderly and the very young. But science on the vaccine’s efficacy is scant among those two vulnerable groups. And although healthy adults do get some protection, it may not be as robust as they expect....

And for an harsher stances agin it..

http://vran.org/about-vaccines/specific-vaccines/influenza-vaccine-flu-shot/flu-vaccine-%E2%80%93-think-again/

Flu Vaccine – Think Again

Dr. R. Neustaedter
The flu vaccine gets the most-useless-vaccine-of-all-time award. Now the <acronym title="Centers for Disease Control and Prevention">CDC</acronym> is recommending the vaccine for children under two years old and all adults over 50. Don’t fall for it. The following article is from Dr. Randal Neustaedter’s new edition of The Vaccine Guide, North Atlantic Books 800-337-2665
Everyone knows about the flu and the flu vaccine. What people do not know is that flu vaccines are nearly useless in preventing flu, they will cause the flu, and they often result in nervous system damage that can take years for the body to repair. Other nations chuckle at Americans’ infatuation with the flu vaccine. The joke would indeed be funny, if it weren’t for the damaging effects caused by the vaccine
The history of the flu vaccine reads like one stumbling fiasco after another. Take an example. Ever wonder how the particular viruses are chosen for next year’s vaccine? The answer could be drawn from a 1930s film noir of Shanghai villainy. Scientists kill migrating ducks in Asia, culture the viruses and put those in next year’s vaccine, because they have seen an association between bird and pig viruses and the following year’s human flu epidemics. Perhaps this desperate guesswork is responsible for so many years when the flu vaccines viruses had nothing in common with circulating viruses. According to a <acronym title="Centers for Disease Control and Prevention">CDC</acronym> report of the 1994–1995 flu season, 87 percent of type A influenza virus samples were not similar to the year’s vaccine, and 76 percent of type B virus were not similar to the virus in that year’s vaccine. During the 1992–1993 season, 84 percent of samples for the predominant type A virus were not similar to the virus in the vaccine.
Here is a list of the most common side effects of the flu vaccine as stated by the <acronym title="Centers for Disease Control and Prevention">CDC</acronym> — fever, fatigue, muscle aches, and headache. Sound familiar?
The primary targeted population for flu vaccine is the elderly, yet the vaccine is notoriously ineffective in preventing disease in that population. According to the <acronym title="Centers for Disease Control and Prevention">CDC</acronym>, the effectiveness of flu vaccine in preventing illness among elderly persons residing in nursing homes is 30–40 percent (<acronym title="Centers for Disease Control and Prevention">CDC</acronym>, 2001b). Other studies have shown an even lower efficacy of 0–36 percent (averaging 21 percent). The <acronym title="Centers for Disease Control and Prevention">CDC</acronym> proudly notes that for those elderly persons living outside of nursing homes, flu vaccine is 30–70 percent effective in preventing hospitalization for pneumonia and influenza. Yet the Department of Human and Health Services found that, with or without a flu shot, pneumonia and influenza hospitalization rates for the elderly are less than one percent during the influenza season. Regardless of vaccination status, 99 percent of the elderly recover from the flu without being hospitalized. The ineffectiveness of flu shots in the elderly led the <acronym title="Centers for Disease Control and Prevention">CDC</acronym> in 2000 to begin recommending the shots for all persons age 50 years and older. The rationale being that one third of Americans have a risk factor or chronic disease that puts them at risk of increased morbidity from the flu.
Annual flu vaccination is recommended for those individuals with asthma and other chronic respiratory and cardiovascular disorders. However, those people with impaired immune systems are the most likely to suffer adverse autoimmune reactions.
Children are the next frontier for the lucrative flu vaccine campaign. Vaccination is currently recommended for children over six months of age with high-risk medical conditions, but is not recommended for healthy children. Experts in the field suggest that parents of children age six months to two years “be informed that their children are at risk for serious complications of influenza, and allowed to make individual informed decisions regarding influenza immunization for their children” (Neuzil et al., 2001). This statement was made by Marie Griffin (and others), the same author who was implicated in the flawed study that supposedly exonerated the pertussis vaccine of nervous system damage. She is also a paid consultant to one of the world’s largest vaccine manufacturers, Burroughs Wellcome. The children’s market is the next big hope for vaccine campaigners. A 1998 working group began investigations to not only support, but also to “recommend” flu vaccine for young children.
The next big change in flu vaccines will be the introduction of a live intranasal flu vaccine, a dose that is actually sprayed into the nose. This vaccine has already been tested on young children. Live intranasal vaccine was found 93 percent effective in preventing influenza in children age one to six years old (Belshe et al., 1998). Unanswered questions about the live vaccine include the possibility of transmitting other, more dangerous viruses through the vaccine, the possibility of enhanced replication of the attenuated virus in individuals with compromised immune systems, and the possibility of bacterial super infection if the replicating live virus disrupts nasal membranes (Subbarao, 2000). This vaccine waits in the wings for its chance as the next big gun in the vaccine arsenal aimed at our children
Guillain-Barré Syndrome

In 1976 the flu vaccine was dealt a near fatal blow when reports appeared that the vaccine caused Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS), an autoimmune nervous system reaction characterized by unstable gait, loss of sensation, and loss of muscle control. A mass vaccination program was mounted that year by the US Government, and 45 million Americans received the swine flu vaccine. Statistical studies have confirmed a causal relationship between the vaccine and <acronym title="Guillain-Barré syndrome">GBS</acronym>. During that year the rate of <acronym title="Guillain-Barré syndrome">GBS</acronym> in Ohio was 13.3 per 1,000,000 in vaccine recipients compared to 2.6 per 1,000,000 in nonrecipients (Marks & Halpin, 1980). A follow-up study also showed a significantly increased incidence of <acronym title="Guillain-Barré syndrome">GBS</acronym> during the first 6 weeks following receipt of the vaccine in patients residing in two other states. The rate of <acronym title="Guillain-Barré syndrome">GBS</acronym> was 8.6 per million vaccinees in Michigan and 9.7 per million vaccinees in Minnesota (Safranek et al., 1991). This episode, which became known as the swine flu catastrophe, left doctors extremely reluctant to administer flu vaccine, and shattered the public trust in the flu vaccine campaign.
The association between <acronym title="Guillain-Barré syndrome">GBS</acronym> and flu shots was not unique to the swine flu. Earlier reports had also summarized cases of nervous system disorders occurring soon after the flu vaccine (Flewett & Hoult, 1958; Horner, 1958). More recently, an increased risk for <acronym title="Guillain-Barré syndrome">GBS</acronym> occurring in patients during the six weeks following the flu vaccine was revealed in the 1992–1993 and the 1993–1994 flu seasons (Lasky et al., 1998).
Pregnancy

One of the most bizarre twists on the flu vaccine saga is the <acronym title="Centers for Disease Control and Prevention">CDC</acronym> recommendation of 2001 that all pregnant women receive the vaccine in their second or third trimester. This recommendation even has doctors confused, since the vaccine remains a category C drug (unknown risk for pregnancy). No adequate studies have been conducted to monitor safety of the vaccine for mother and fetus. The only studies of adverse effects in pregnancy were conducted in the 1970s (Heinonen et al., 1973; Sumaya & Gibbs, 1979). Some flu vaccines still contain mercury as a preservative, despite a 1998 <acronym title="U.S. Food & Drug Administration">FDA</acronym> instruction to remove mercury from all drugs. According to the <acronym title="Centers for Disease Control and Prevention">CDC</acronym>, two groups are most vulnerable to methylmercury — the fetus and children ages 14 and younger. An article published in the American Journal of Epidemiology in 1999 stated, “the greatest susceptibility to methylmercury neurotoxicity occurs during late gestation” (Grandjean et al., 1999). How did <acronym title="Centers for Disease Control and Prevention">CDC</acronym> committee members determine that flu vaccines were safe for pregnant women? They did not. The committee, despite its own recommendation, states, “additional data are needed to confirm the safety of vaccination during pregnancy” (<acronym title="Centers for Disease Control and Prevention">CDC</acronym>, 2001b).
Flu Facts

Flu vaccine manufacturers are notoriously inaccurate at predicting the appropriate viruses to use in an individual year’s vaccine, rendering the vaccine ineffective.
Flu vaccine is relatively ineffective in those patients most at risk of flu complications.
The vaccine has caused <acronym title="Guillain-Barré syndrome">GBS</acronym> in recipients during several different flu seasons.
Those most at risk of flu complications probably share a higher risk of adverse reactions to the flu vaccine as well.

Randall Neustaedter OMD
http://www.cure-guide.com (http://www.cure-guide.com/)

We all have to make our own choices.
hopefully the "requirement" people won't take that right from us as well.

NT'sGirl
01-14-2013, 12:43 PM
This version of the flu hit our house like a Mac truck doin' 110 and lingered for almost 2 months!

If I could rewind I think I would have gotten the shot...

mundame
01-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Mundame sorry, but --shudder-- "i love my flu shots" .

Yes, well, I'm a vaccine junkie, I admit..... ;)

I got both the famous named influenzas, the Russian flu and the Hong Kong flu, and I was SO sick.

I got all the pre-vaccine illnesses: whooping cough, mumps (three times, which is supposed to be impossible -- the CDC would be calling on me if it were today, I suppose), red measles, everything.

And they were all awful. I love my vaccines.

I'm vaccinated against smallpox! You kids can't say that ------ if ever smallpox does break out again, presumably by enemy action, there will only be old folks left.

jimnyc
01-14-2013, 12:46 PM
If I get the flu, I'll be kicking myself in the ass. If I get the shot, and then get the flu, I'll be kicking myself in the ass. Decisions, decisions!

aboutime
01-14-2013, 12:49 PM

I got both the famous named influenzas, the Russian flu and the Hong Kong flu, and I was SO sick.

I got all the pre-vaccine illnesses: whooping cough, mumps (three times, which is supposed to be impossible -- the CDC would be calling on me if it were today, I suppose), red measles, everything.

I'm vaccinated against smallpox! You kids can't say that ------ if ever smallpox does break out again, presumably by enemy action, there will only be old folks left.

mundame. Most of us, who are called BOOMERS were given the smallpox vaccination long ago, before we entered school.
Guess what? They Kids...you look down your nose at...Have no need for that Mark on the Arm...we all have since SMALLPOX was eliminated from being a threat, and the vaccine is no longer required.
We have a bigger threat from common diseases like IGNORANCE, BIGOTRY, STUPIDITY, and ILLITERACY than smallpox.

Abbey Marie
01-14-2013, 03:36 PM

Mundame, I hope you are right, but do the protections from the shots ever dissipate?

mundame
01-14-2013, 04:29 PM
Mundame, I hope you are right, but do the protections from the shots ever dissipate?

Yes, they do, some of them, hence "booster shots."

I'm just whistlin' past the graveyard re smallpox, possibly. Still, an old vaccination has to be better than nothing. I hope.

Abbey Marie
01-14-2013, 04:30 PM
Yes, they do, some of them, hence "booster shots."

I'm just whistlin' past the graveyard re smallpox, possibly. Still, an old vaccination has to be better than nothing. I hope.

I'd never heard that expresion- I like it!

PostmodernProphet
01-14-2013, 10:42 PM
I got a flu shot, pneumonia shot, updated whooping cough shot and a shingles shot......