PDA

View Full Version : Teacher Sues For Discrimation: Fear of Young Children

Kathianne
01-14-2013, 06:14 PM
Seriously. Takes the cake! I wonder if she was last teaching middle school or high school, not clear here. Only 6th graders would really qualify as 'young children.'

http://foxnewsinsider.com/tag/maria-c-waltherr-willard/

Teacher Sues School District Over Fear of Kids

A teacher in Ohio is suing her school district for discrimination, saying it forced her to teach younger students despite her fear of children. Mariemont school district reassigned 61-year-old Maria C. Waltherr-Willard, a French teacher for 35 years, from high school to junior high school.

The suit claims that the school district knew about Waltherr-Willard’s phobia of children, which she apparently has suffered from since the 1990s, and pressured her to resign.

So for nearly 20 or more years, what the hell has she been doing at the school?

Abbey Marie
01-14-2013, 07:18 PM
Kids are getting scarier. :laugh2:

aboutime
01-14-2013, 07:18 PM
Seriously. Takes the cake! I wonder if she was last teaching middle school or high school, not clear here. Only 6th graders would really qualify as 'young children.'

Kathianne. Pragmatically speaking. Wouldn't that mean this teacher would have to sue herself since...obviously, she didn't just appear as an adult on the day she was born? So...it stands to reason. This teacher has been afraid of BEING. Period.

No disrespect intended. But. After seeing her photo. I understand why she fears being Herself as well. Forget the kids.

jimnyc
01-14-2013, 07:20 PM
If this teacher works in early education, meaning grammar/middle/high schools, this suit should be dismissed and she should be fired. Teachers are going to deal with children, kids, or whatever you call it. She shouldn't be in an early grade school setting if that's the case. She should be college age only if she can't deal with kids.

aboutime
01-14-2013, 07:22 PM
If this teacher works in early education, meaning grammar/middle/high schools, this suit should be dismissed and she should be fired. Teachers are going to deal with children, kids, or whatever you call it. She shouldn't be in an early grade school setting if that's the case. She should be college age only if she can't deal with kids.

jimnyc. Take her out of ALL CLASSROOMS, and give her a RUBBER ROOM.

What teacher is qualified to teach children...if she fears teaching children????

Obama should hire her as Education CZAR....for the Mentally Unstable Liberal Child Molesters.

Kathianne
01-14-2013, 07:23 PM

35 years! Teaching French in Middle and high school. As I posted, only 6th graders really qualify as 'young children,' by 7th all are adolescents, many well into it. The school districts has 'known' of her issues since the 1990's! (is that 1990 or 1999? Something in between?) In any case for nearly 20 years she's been 'known' to have a fear of young children.

Abbey Marie
01-14-2013, 07:24 PM
35 years! Middle and high school. As I posted, only 6th graders really qualify as 'young children,' by 7th all are adolescents, many well into it.

I've always heard the middle schoolers are the scariest.

Kathianne
01-14-2013, 07:28 PM
Kids are getting scarier. :laugh2:

I'm sure that's true in some areas, wouldn't say that's my experience at all. While there are kids that are problems, there seems less than when I was in high school or they certainly are less obvious.

Oh there are the kids with the pink or blue hair, most of those are the nicest kids, just trying to show their 'artistic' streak. In general the overwhelming numbers of kids I deal with on nearly daily basis: 4 high schools and 6 middle schools are polite, cooperative, and in the main eager to learn.

cadet
01-14-2013, 07:28 PM
Someone should have thought harder when asked "What would you like to do when you grow up?"

Abbey Marie
01-14-2013, 08:01 PM
I'm sure that's true in some areas, wouldn't say that's my experience at all. While there are kids that are problems, there seems less than when I was in high school or they certainly are less obvious.

Oh there are the kids with the pink or blue hair, most of those are the nicest kids, just trying to show their 'artistic' streak. In general the overwhelming numbers of kids I deal with on nearly daily basis: 4 high schools and 6 middle schools are polite, cooperative, and in the main eager to learn.

Yeah, I was joking, but people do get scared of things that never scared them before, as they get older. I developed both claustrophobia and fear of some really high low-sided bridges that never used to bother me, for example.

Or maybe she is just trying to pull a fast one.

DragonStryk72
01-14-2013, 08:03 PM

Odd side note: did you know that the host of Double Dare was clinically OCD, specifically toward cleanliness. If you don't know the show, look it up on YouTube.

aboutime
01-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Yeah, I was joking, but people do get scared of things that never scared them before, as they get older. I developed both claustrophobia and fear of some really high low-sided bridges that never used to bother me, for example.

Or maybe she is just trying to pull a fast one.

Abbey. Sounds like 'A FAST ONE' is more convincing. After all those years of teaching. She's ready to retire...and looking for a quick fix to get out of her final contract with the School District.

Anyone know if she's also a member of the Teachers Union?

If she is. I dare say..."That says a lot as well."

Kathianne
01-14-2013, 08:11 PM
I've always heard the middle schoolers are the scariest.

I don't find that, they are however at times extremely emotional. Angry one moment, hugging you the next. Their hormones are raging for most.

After over a decade of teaching middle school, I'd like to return to high school for both planning reasons and for subject matter depth. Middle school is more time consuming, though there is more planning time, at least in public schools.

I remember one of my very favorite students. Had taught his 4 older siblings and he'd been 'warned' that I was challenging. In 6th grade, he tried to push the envelope from the beginning, but he was so funny, I couldn't help but laugh and return fire. We became 'buddies.' By the middle of that year, I told his mom that he was advanced in social studies. She said, "No, that was Dan." I said, "No, it's Adam, David wasn't all that interested in SS, he really liked math and science." She kept insisting. Seems 'Adam,' was the 'athlete' in the family, Dan the gifted one.

7th grade was my homeroom, he was so excited from first day. Told me it was going to be 'the year of our rule!' LOL! He won the Daughters of the American Revolution local, then district competition. He wrote an essay on his own, that was published in Scholastic Magazine. His parents began to take notice.

In the middle of 8th grade, after testing, he got a full ride scholarship to Fenwick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenwick_High_School_%28Oak_Park,_Illinois%29). His parents could have afforded the tuition, but the school let them know he could have received on both academic and athletic venues.

Graduation was always a mass, then the ceremony. Parents walked on either side of their graduate. 8th grade teacher handed out diploma, handshake between parents and graduate. The 7th grade teacher, (me), gave the graduate a rose for their mother or guardian. Repeat handshakes and congrats. Adam and his parents came up, Adam grabbed me and swung me around. He shouted to the congregation, "My favorite teacher, ever!" Applause. Kiss, kiss.

Might happen in high school, not likely though. Middle schoolers are in betweens. Not fully 'adult like,' yet not crazy about being treated like children. They are thrilled to be addressed as 'ladies and gentlemen,' they beam. High schoolers really don't care if it's, 'boys and girls, ladies and gentlemen,' they are more secure with age and maturity.

Marcus Aurelius
01-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Halloween must put her into a coma.