PDA

View Full Version : Why are "AID" bills allowed to have other earmarks?

jimnyc
01-15-2013, 02:41 PM
The funding to NY and other states hit by Sandy has been delayed, over a fight about earmarks and other extras in the bill. Can't they pass a law or something that forces them to vote on emergency aid and other dire funding WITHOUT the ability to toss in whatever they want as they know it needs to be passed? So not only do the people affected suffer still, but ultimately some senator will be snagging money for his/her hometown, by taking advantage of emergency funding.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The House began debate Tuesday on a $50.7 billion Superstorm Sandy aid package that Northeast lawmakers hoped could be approved despite attempts by fiscal conservatives to eliminate unrelated projects and to gain offsetting spending cuts to cover the costs of the bill. Amendments offered by opponents of full funding set up a faceoff as the House moved toward votes on the emergency spending package, with Northeast lawmakers in both parties eager to provide recovery aid for one of the worst storms ever to strike the region.

"I urge my colleagues to show fundamental humanity and pass the bill today," said Rep. Louise Slaughter, D-N.Y., noting it has been more than seven weeks since the storm struck.

Rep. Tom McClintock, R-Calif., complained that billions of dollars would go for projects that are not urgently needed.

"It's supposed to be for emergency repairs," said McClintock.

The base $17 billion bill by the House Appropriations Committee is aimed at immediate Sandy recovery needs, including $5.4 billion for New York and New Jersey transit systems and $5.4 billion for the Federal Emergency Management Agency's disaster relief aid fund.

Northeast lawmakers will have a chance to add to that bill with an amendment by Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen, R-N.J., for an additional $33.7 billion, including $10.9 billion for public transportation projects

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SUPERSTORM_AID?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-01-15-03-15-14

Marcus Aurelius
01-15-2013, 03:13 PM
why are ANY non related items allowed on ANY bills?

jimnyc
01-15-2013, 03:48 PM
why are ANY non related items allowed on ANY bills?

I guess because the "rules" allow for it, and politicians need their votes. I just wish certain bills couldn't be used for this type of spending.

Abbey Marie
01-15-2013, 04:04 PM
This kind of thing should make any American's blood boil.

Marcus Aurelius
01-15-2013, 04:25 PM
people love getting 'their' stuff, regardless of whether or not it is affordable, or at whose expense. As long as this gets people 'their' stuff, no one will bitch too loudly.