PDA

View Full Version : More On Education Bubble

Kathianne
01-16-2013, 05:17 AM
It wasn't inexpensive to begin with.

http://collegeinsurrection.com/2013/01/scary-chart-of-the-day-tuition-inflation/

In an interview (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/30/education/dartmouth-names-michigan-provost-as-its-president.html) with the New York Times upon being named as the College’s next President, Phil Hanlon commented, “The historic funding model for higher ed is close to unsustainable. We can’t continue superinflationary tuition increases.” It seems that our mathematician-President can read a financial statement as well as understand probability. While Washington debates the soaring cost of medical care, the real bubble has been in higher education:

http://www.dartblog.com/assets_c/2012/12/Higher%20Ed%20Inflation-thumb-525x397.jpg (http://www.dartblog.com/images/Higher%20Ed%20Inflation.jpg)

fj1200
01-16-2013, 05:27 AM
Hmm, which two of those lines has, arguably, the highest levels of government involvement. :thinking5:

taft2012
01-16-2013, 07:03 AM
Wow. I wish I was still in college. I'd love to be able to yank out this chart whenever a liberal professor started wailing about the "greed of the oil companies."

Trigg
01-16-2013, 09:32 AM
Ever since the gov. took over the student loan program FAFSA tuition has gone through the roof.

Bambam was telling the truth about college debt with FAFSA. Kids are only allowed to take so much. EVERYTHING ELSE the parents are stuck with through parent loans.

What he failed to mention, huge surprise, was the outragious interrest that is charged on these "low interrest loans".

mundame
01-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Ever since the gov. took over the student loan program FAFSA tuition has gone through the roof.

Bambam was telling the truth about college debt with FAFSA. Kids are only allowed to take so much. EVERYTHING ELSE the parents are stuck with through parent loans.

What he failed to mention, huge surprise, was the outragious interrest that is charged on these "low interrest loans".

In my opinion, it's a bubble. Like real estate was.

When I went to school, NOBODY took out loans. Certainly not students, and in fact not parents either, usually. You were expected to have money saved and invested for your children's education. Now advanced education is being dumbed down and marketed to lots of people who really aren't able enough even to graduate, and neither they nor their parents have money enough to pay in advance.

I think advanced education should be for people able to cope with the mental challenge, who have families smart enough to pay for it. This universalization of higher education, with all it's new "remedial" courses for people too stupid to learn how to write or spell in high school, this is just a way to keep the unemployment rate down, IMO. Keep as many people locked up in pointless "college" as long as possible, then it will look like the country has full employment because all those "college" students aren't looking for jobs.

But that leaves fully half of all these so-called students with NO degree and thousands of dollars in loans they have to pay back. It's incredibly wrong.

Trigg
01-16-2013, 10:33 AM
In my opinion, it's a bubble. Like real estate was.

When I went to school, NOBODY took out loans. Certainly not students, and in fact not parents either, usually. You were expected to have money saved and invested for your children's education. Now advanced education is being dumbed down and marketed to lots of people who really aren't able enough even to graduate, and neither they nor their parents have money enough to pay in advance.

I think advanced education should be for people able to cope with the mental challenge, who have families smart enough to pay for it. This universalization of higher education, with all it's new "remedial" courses for people too stupid to learn how to write or spell in high school, this is just a way to keep the unemployment rate down, IMO. Keep as many people locked up in pointless "college" as long as possible, then it will look like the country has full employment because all those "college" students aren't looking for jobs.

But that leaves fully half of all these so-called students with NO degree and thousands of dollars in loans they have to pay back. It's incredibly wrong.

True, It would be interresting to know how many receptionists and waitresses are out there with business degrees that they will never use.

Not everyone needs a college degree to be successful

tailfins
01-16-2013, 11:26 AM
True, It would be interresting to know how many receptionists and waitresses are out there with business degrees that they will never use.

I think what many are missing is the "Gravel in their gut and the spit in their eye." to take on the business world. Somebody should teach that. The managerial knowledge by itself won't cut it.

gabosaurus
01-16-2013, 11:41 AM

It is difficult for a person with a college degree to be successful. They have to have a desire and a willingness to work hard.
It is much easier for a person without a college education to be successful. Minimum wage jobs are easier to find.
The easiest route of all is to have no education and just sit around being stupid. :cool:

tailfins
01-16-2013, 11:48 AM
It is difficult for a person with a college degree to be successful. They have to have a desire and a willingness to work hard.
It is much easier for a person without a college education to be successful. Minimum wage jobs are easier to find.
The easiest route of all is to have no education and just sit around being stupid. :cool:

They can also get by knowing how to create a PERCEPTION that they have a desire and willingness to work hard. They don't actually need to have that desire and willingness. Company loyalty is too often a tool to manipulate people into unpaid overtime. The path to a bigger income is be loyal to your value on the corporate street, not your value to the company.

KarlMarx
01-16-2013, 11:57 AM

We obviously need the same thing as ObamaCare for Education. We will first require that everyone get a college degree or face a fine. We will then gut the Education Department to fund the legislation and set up a cost review board to determine what is an allowable educational expense. First thing to go are those "cadillac" educational plans, e.g. PhDs and Masters Degrees. Also, we will have to regulate how many credits a university can award a student. Obviously, education is over used which is pushing up the price.

For those who cannot afford a college education, we'll set up a tax payer funded incentive so that those who can't afford a college degree will get an all expense paid shot at a college degree. A large part of the population does not have access to a college education so we'll have to get the government involved and fix the problem.

Trigg
01-16-2013, 12:10 PM

You come on this site in order to tell everyone how very smart you are, and then you post such assinine comments.

People without college degrees are not stupid and they certainly aren't sitting around being lazy while working minimum wage jobs.

My point, as I'm sure you know, is that not everyone needs a degree. We've been TOLD that everyone should get one. Which has led many into debt with degrees that they aren't using. Airline personnel, bank tellers, receptionists, among others, have business degress that they don't need and don't use. The only thing the degree has given them is debt.

Mundame is also correct in that many are in college that shouldn't be. They get stuck taking remedial classes until they give up on college and are left with huge debt.

MtnBiker
01-16-2013, 02:04 PM

Wow, you have just described the perfect obama democrat low information voter! Well done.

tailfins
01-16-2013, 02:17 PM

However you have shown us (assuming you have a degree) that it's possible to have a degree and STILL sit around being stupid.

aboutime
01-16-2013, 03:18 PM
However you have shown us (assuming you have a degree) that it's possible to have a degree and STILL sit around being stupid.

tailfins. What gabby doesn't realize she is saying is. It's okay to JUST GET BY, and work hard to just get by. And in gabby's mind. That is the limit of success.

Which tells me that Gabby must have a "PHD"....the acronym for "Poor, Hungry, and Dumb". And satisfied to reach that pinnacle of Lower expectations called success.

Shucks. Even Garbage men are Successful...after they have finished PICKING UP EVERYONE ELSE'S GARBAGE.

gabosaurus
01-16-2013, 04:42 PM
Wow, you have just described the perfect obama democrat low information voter! Well done.

I consider you the typical low information idiot. Considering that you rarely have anything significant to add to the conversation.

I actually have a masters degree and a job. As for sitting around being stupid, that is a matter of opinion. Mine is that, considering this statement, you are doing quite a bit of it at the present.

tailfins
01-16-2013, 04:48 PM
I consider you the typical low information idiot. Considering that you rarely have anything significant to add to the conversation.

I actually have a masters degree and a job. As for sitting around being stupid, that is a matter of opinion. Mine is that, considering this statement, you are doing quite a bit of it at the present.

OK, then it's possible to have a master's degree, a job and STILL sit around being stupid. You convinced me! Come to think of it, I am spending a bit of time responding to you.

Have you figured out that a state can succeed whether or not it secedes?

MtnBiker
01-16-2013, 05:04 PM

Awww, how cute. Here is a pat on the head for coming up with that response.

red states rule
01-17-2013, 04:45 AM

http://www.politifake.org/image/political/1106/its-all-funny-to-watch-liberals-list-facts-poor-liberals-political-poster-1308021178.jpg