PDA

View Full Version : Dear Abby - dead at 94

jimnyc
01-17-2013, 02:03 PM
I mean Abby, as in "Dear Abby"

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Pauline Friedman Phillips, who under the name of Abigail Van Buren, wrote the long-running "Dear Abby" advice column that was followed by millions of newspaper readers throughout the world, has died. She was 94.

Publicist Gene Willis of Universal Uclick said Phillips died Wednesday after a long battle with Alzheimer's disease.

Phillips' column competed for decades with the advice column of Ann Landers, written by her twin sister, Esther Friedman Lederer. Their relationship was stormy in their early adult years, but later they regained the close relationship they had growing up in Sioux City, Iowa.

The two columns differed in style. Ann Landers responded to questioners with homey, detailed advice. Abby's replies were often flippant one-liners.

Phillips admitted that her advice changed over the years. When she started writing the column, she was reluctant to advocate divorce:

"I always thought that marriage should be forever," she explained. "I found out through my readers that sometimes the best thing they can do is part. If a man or woman is a constant cheater, the situation can be intolerable. Especially if they have children. When kids see parents fighting, or even sniping at each other, I think it is terribly damaging."

http://news.yahoo.com/dear-abby-advice-columnist-dies-age-94-184114087.html

Abbey Marie
01-17-2013, 02:17 PM
:eek:

jimnyc
01-17-2013, 02:19 PM
Our Abbey lives on, Yay!!

But RIP "Dear Abby". I admit to having read a few thousand of her articles over the years.

aboutime
01-17-2013, 03:20 PM
Our Abbey lives on, Yay!!

But RIP "Dear Abby". I admit to having read a few thousand of her articles over the years.

jimnyc.......THAT WASN'T FUNNY, and probably NOT TOO WISE either.

When I saw your title for this thread. You probably didn't think about how it might appear to some of us WHO didn't know WHICH ABBY you were talking about.

jimnyc
01-17-2013, 03:22 PM
jimnyc.......THAT WASN'T FUNNY, and probably NOT TOO WISE either.

When I saw your title for this thread. You probably didn't think about how it might appear to some of us WHO didn't know WHICH ABBY you were talking about.

True, true. I have no excuse. It was an attempt at humor that failed miserably. You have my apologies. I'm changing the thread title.

aboutime
01-17-2013, 03:26 PM
True, true. I have no excuse. It was an attempt at humor that failed miserably. You have my apologies. I'm changing the thread title.

Thanks jimnyc. My apologies for the BOLD, and anger. But, I honestly thought the Abbey you were talking about was Our Abbey.

That struck me, almost as if someone had posted the words "Obama Dying....."

And the rest of the sentence was "...... to destroy the 2nd Amendment."

jimnyc
01-17-2013, 03:32 PM
^ I agree. If someone had started a thread about another member on this board, my first thoughts would be the same. It was a lapse in what little judgment is still left in my rotting brain. I'm sorry to anyone that read the original thread title and gave them negative thoughts!!