PDA

View Full Version : All hostages dead in Algeria

jimnyc
01-19-2013, 04:14 PM
I have to keep reading around, but I assume the Americans are counted in the dead too. What a total failure by Algeria's forces.

ALGIERS, Algeria (AP) -- In a bloody finale, Algerian special forces stormed a natural gas complex in the Sahara desert on Saturday to end a standoff with Islamist extremists that left at least 23 hostages dead and killed all 32 militants involved, the Algerian government said.

With few details emerging from the remote site in eastern Algeria, it was unclear whether anyone was rescued in the final operation, but the number of hostages killed on Saturday - seven - was how many the militants had said that morning they still had. The government described the toll as provisional and some foreigners remain unaccounted for.

The siege at Ain Amenas transfixed the world after radical Islamists linked to al-Qaida stormed the complex, which contained hundreds of plant workers from all over the world, then held them hostage surrounded by the Algerian military and its attack helicopters for four tense days that were punctuated with gun battles and dramatic tales of escape.

Algeria's response to the crisis was typical of its history in confronting terrorists, favoring military action over negotiation, which caused an international outcry from countries worried about their citizens. Algerian military forces twice assaulted the two areas where the hostages were being held with minimal apparent mediation - first on Thursday, then on Saturday.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ML_ALGERIA_KIDNAPPING?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-01-19-09-51-18

jafar00
01-19-2013, 07:19 PM
The Algerians have been going it alone against Salafi groups for years. Something like this tragedy was inevitable.

jimnyc
01-19-2013, 07:27 PM
The Algerians have been going it alone against Salafi groups for years. Something like this tragedy was inevitable.

I just don't understand how they send in "special forces" and lose EVERY hostage. Are their forces that inept? I honestly don't know. I have a friend from Algeria, but I never asked him about stuff like that. I just know he speaks Arabic and French!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-19-2013, 07:47 PM
Can not blame obama, no glory in it for him so he did nothing..
Now if it had only happened just before the election, err wait a minute , Benghazi did and he did nothing, let those guys die too. I think we see a pattern here, obama does not want to upset his muslim brothers that are fighting the white devils..-Tyr

jafar00
01-19-2013, 09:08 PM
I just don't understand how they send in "special forces" and lose EVERY hostage. Are their forces that inept? I honestly don't know. I have a friend from Algeria, but I never asked him about stuff like that. I just know he speaks Arabic and French!

I don't know if it is about inept special forces. It's probably got more to do with the fact that these Salafis are clinically insane and place zero value on life, especially when it is their own.