PDA

View Full Version : Moved

typomaniac
05-29-2007, 12:00 PM
If you want to know the reason I've been on hiatus for a couple of weeks, look at the headline of this thread.

One of my older sisters once described moving as the 11th plague, and I'm inclined to agree. I found a pretty damned nice place that's literally within walking distance of where I work, and the price - for California, anyway - was just too good to pass up.

Anyhow, the place is finally beginning to look like a real home, so I hope to be back on a real schedule soon.

Oh yeah, and I got a new big-screen HDTV for the living room, so if you don't have one...eat your heart out! :finger3:

Pale Rider
05-29-2007, 12:14 PM
Oh yeah, and I got a new big-screen HDTV for the living room, so if you don't have one...eat your heart out! :finger3:

Fifty six inch JVC 1080P HDTV here...

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/3650/75181650kw9.jpg

typomaniac
05-29-2007, 12:21 PM
Yours? The background makes it look like a floor model, which is why I ask. Plus, I don't know any part of Reno where you can get those kinds of lake views...

Anyway, a 56 incher would dwarf the rest of the furniture in my living room. 37" is plenty.

5stringJeff
05-29-2007, 12:50 PM
Yours? The background makes it look like a floor model, which is why I ask. Plus, I don't know any part of Reno where you can get those kinds of lake views...

Anyway, a 56 incher would dwarf the rest of the furniture in my living room. 37" is plenty.

I bought a 37" when I moved out here to NY. Just the right size, IMO.

CockySOB
05-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Congrats on the move - it's a bitch to be sure.

I've got a small 32" Panasonic LCD HDTV in the living room right now, but I've got my eye on a nice 46" Samsung LTP468W to take its place and relegate the Panasonic to the den/home office.

Next up is finding a good audio system for the living room. I'm currently thinking Sony DAV-X1, but that could always change.

nevadamedic
05-29-2007, 02:55 PM

Its probably a mural, but there are a couple of lakes in Reno, one of them Lakeridge has houses and condos on the lake. You can take boats on it and fish in it etc.

Pale Rider
05-29-2007, 02:57 PM

The lake view background is a mural on my wall. Here's my old TV. A little wider angle so you can see what I mean.

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/654/36993435aj8.jpg

Pale Rider
05-29-2007, 02:58 PM
Its probably a mural, but there are a couple of lakes in Reno, one of them Lakeridge has houses and condos on the lake. You can take boats on it and fish in it etc.

Ding... ding... ding... ding... WE HAVE A WINNER HERE! :clap:

nevadamedic
05-29-2007, 02:59 PM
The lake view background is a mural on my wall. Here's my old TV. A little wider angle so you can see what I mean.

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/654/36993435aj8.jpg

WooHoo I guess right!!!!!!!

Pale Rider
05-29-2007, 03:00 PM
WooHoo I guess right!!!!!!!

Never buy a Toshiba. That thing was a piece of shit.

typomaniac
05-29-2007, 05:23 PM
Keep watching, PR. A TV that large should be able to uncross your eyes eventually. ;)

nevadamedic
05-29-2007, 05:29 PM
Never buy a Toshiba. That thing was a piece of shit.

Usually Toshiba makes a good product. When I worked at Sears and Best Buy Toshiba had one of th lowest failure rates for TVs and DVD players along with Sony, Samsung(DLP Line)Mitsubishi and Panasonic.

Pale Rider
05-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Usually Toshiba makes a good product. When I worked at Sears and Best Buy Toshiba had one of th lowest failure rates for TVs and DVD players along with Sony, Samsung(DLP Line)Mitsubishi and Panasonic.

That thing had more wrong with it. Noisey fan, sounded like a chain saw, sound and no picture, no sound and a picture, and finaly no sound or picture.

Pale Rider
05-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Keep watching, PR. A TV that large should be able to uncross your eyes eventually. ;)

You're just jealous. :laugh:

typomaniac
05-29-2007, 06:32 PM
You're just jealous. :laugh:

Like I said, that thing is way too big for my living room.

lily
05-29-2007, 09:14 PM
So typo is my spare bedroom ready?

Pale I love that mural!

nevadamedic
05-29-2007, 09:24 PM
That thing had more wrong with it. Noisey fan, sounded like a chain saw, sound and no picture, no sound and a picture, and finaly no sound or picture.

Those things are so massed produced that one or two out of a batch will be bad.

shattered
05-29-2007, 09:25 PM

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/3650/75181650kw9.jpg

Good lord..

Well, they say the eyes are the first to go...

Pale Rider
05-29-2007, 10:07 PM
Good lord..

Well, they say the eyes are the first to go...

They used to say not to sit close to the old CRT TV's because they shot electrons at the screen. Some of that energy would be emitted to the front. This big thing is a projection TV. There's nothing dangerous about sitting close to it, other than you'd have to look back and forth to see it all... :D

Movies are very cool with the Sony power, Infinity Beta speakers, 5.1 dolby digital surround cranked up. I hate going to theaters, so I have my own at home.

shattered
05-29-2007, 10:18 PM
They used to say not to sit close to the old CRT TV's because they shot electrons at the screen. Some of that energy would be emitted to the front. This big thing is a projection TV. There's nothing dangerous about sitting close to it, other than you'd have to look back and forth to see it all... :D

Movies are very cool with the Sony power, Infinity Beta speakers, 5.1 dolby digital surround cranked up. I hate going to theaters, so I have my own at home.

In that, I have you beat. My entire basement wall is a movie screen, with a projector mounted from the ceiling, and a computer behind a sliding door, in a black/dark red room with black ceilings, floors, and smoked blacklight covers mounted into the ceiling.

Oh, and overstuffed leather chairs on the floor, and an overstuff leather couch on a pedestal behind. :D

Pale Rider
05-29-2007, 10:31 PM
In that, I have you beat. My entire basement wall is a movie screen, with a projector mounted from the ceiling, and a computer behind a sliding door, in a black/dark red room with black ceilings, floors, and smoked blacklight covers mounted into the ceiling.

Oh, and overstuffed leather chairs on the floor, and an overstuff leather couch on a pedestal behind. :D

Well then what the.... what were you "good lording" me for... ? :slap:

Still... sounds like my sound system has got you beat. A movie ain't a movie unless you take full advantage of the sound track. :D

shattered
05-29-2007, 10:36 PM
Well then what the.... what were you "good lording" me for... ? :slap:

Still... sounds like my sound system has got you beat. A movie ain't a movie unless you take full advantage of the sound track. :D

You kidding? I have more speakers in that basement than I have in my entire house. Nothing like having Marcus Theatres sound in your house..

Sound/Quality, we may be tied.. BUT, if you ever move, you have to get someone to carry that thing - I just paint up a new wall and frame it.

Pale Rider
05-30-2007, 03:05 AM
You kidding? I have more speakers in that basement than I have in my entire house. Nothing like having Marcus Theatres sound in your house..

Sound/Quality, we may be tied.. BUT, if you ever move, you have to get someone to carry that thing - I just paint up a new wall and frame it.

My TV really isn't that heavy. It's pretty much all hollow. I lifted it onto the TV stand by myself without much of a problem. It's a little ackward because it's so big, but not heavy. And yeah, I can shake my floor and walls with my sound system. I can piss off the neighbors two buildings away... :laugh2:

But.... BUT.... you are NOT going to tell me that you don't have a decent "SCREEN????!!!" Because if you're just watching your projector on a painted wall, you're missing out on a lot. Like I'll bet it's got to be darn near pitch black down there before it looks OK. Any light in the room and the picture is washed out. BUY A SCREEN!!! A good screen brings out the details and makes the colors pop. It also gives the picture much more contrast, which is what a projector really needs.