PDA

View Full Version : NHL Hockey

taft2012
01-20-2013, 01:34 PM
I was never a big hockey fan, and I'm still not really.

I've been to a few games over the years and comparatively enjoyed them because the sport was a lousy one to watch on television. It was too difficult to see what was happening on television. But it's hard to become an ardent follower of a sport you only enjoy when seeing it live.

I'm not home too often, and even less so to watch television, so it took me a long time to upgrade to digital and big screen. But I did so a few months back.

Now hockey is back, I got the big screen digital equipment... and WOW! What a friggin' exciting television sport it is now. You can see what's going on, the screen is big.... awesome!

ConHog
01-20-2013, 01:49 PM
I was never a big hockey fan, and I'm still not really.

I've been to a few games over the years and comparatively enjoyed them because the sport was a lousy one to watch on television. It was too difficult to see what was happening on television. But it's hard to become an ardent follower of a sport you only enjoy when seeing it live.

I'm not home too often, and even less so to watch television, so it took me a long time to upgrade to digital and big screen. But I did so a few months back.

Now hockey is back, I got the big screen digital equipment... and WOW! What a friggin' exciting television sport it is now. You can see what's going on, the screen is big.... awesome!

I wasn't a hockey fan at all until the University of Arkansas students put a team together. They are fun to go down and watch once in awhile. I only wish it was an official team that played within the NCAA. I mean they play against other schools but it's not an SEC sanctioned sport. YET

and yes I enjoy an occasional live NHL game to, but like you don't care for it on tv.

fj1200
01-20-2013, 01:51 PM
I wasn't a hockey fan at all until the University of Arkansas students put a team together. They are fun to go down and watch once in awhile. I only wish it was an official team that played within the NCAA. I mean they play against other schools but it's not an SEC sanctioned sport. YET

and yes I enjoy an occasional live NHL game to, but like you don't care for it on tv.

Don't waste your athletic dollars on it. You'll never rank with the northern schools.

ConHog
01-20-2013, 01:55 PM
Don't waste your athletic dollars on it. You'll never rank with the northern schools.

no doubt, no doubt, but the truth is the SEC schools can afford it, and I'm a huge proponent of providing as many opportunities as possible.

BUT I wouldn't be surprised that if the SEC added Ice Hockey as an official sport that within 5 years we would own the sport. Just as we do all others we take seriously.

:coffee:

fj1200
01-20-2013, 02:00 PM
no doubt, no doubt, but the truth is the SEC schools can afford it, and I'm a huge proponent of providing as many opportunities as possible.

BUT I wouldn't be surprised that if the SEC added Ice Hockey as an official sport that within 5 years we would own the sport. Just as we do all others we take seriously.

:coffee:

Won't hoppen eh. You guys don't speak Can-ah-dian.

ConHog
01-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Won't hoppen eh. You guys don't speak Can-ah-dian.

We don't speak African either , but Arkansas still has 43 track and field national championships. :laugh2:

fj1200
01-20-2013, 02:05 PM
We don't speak African either , but Arkansas still has 43 track and field national championships. :laugh2:

Moot. Who wants to live in Africa? and they don't have any higher education opportunities to speak of.

ConHog
01-20-2013, 02:22 PM
Moot. Who wants to live in Africa? and they don't have any higher education opportunities to speak of.

Okay,well about football then? or Baseball? Or , well any other sport the SEC chooses to win at.

The fact is that becuase of football, the SEC has so much money that they can do just about anything , including dominate at ice hockey if they wanted.

I really don't think it will ever happen though.

fj1200
01-20-2013, 02:31 PM
Okay,well about football then? or Baseball? Or , well any other sport the SEC chooses to win at.

The fact is that becuase of football, the SEC has so much money that they can do just about anything , including dominate at ice hockey if they wanted.

I really don't think it will ever happen though.

Basketball? Outside of KY and occasionally FL they're pretty unimpressive. The ACC is consistently better.

Football? The SEC has the distinct fortune of being in the SE where, I would argue, that HS football is revered like I have never seen and they also have the benefit of virtual home field advantage for every bowl game not played in CA or AZ.

Baseball? I won't argue that one.

Other sports? Hell, I live in the South and the weather certainly helps that especially when recruiting for track from Jamaica Mon.

ConHog
01-20-2013, 02:54 PM
Basketball? Outside of KY and occasionally FL they're pretty unimpressive. The ACC is consistently better.

Football? The SEC has the distinct fortune of being in the SE where, I would argue, that HS football is revered like I have never seen and they also have the benefit of virtual home field advantage for every bowl game not played in CA or AZ.

Baseball? I won't argue that one.

Other sports? Hell, I live in the South and the weather certainly helps that especially when recruiting for track from Jamaica Mon.

Certainly the weather helps. But its all about football and the revenue.

Like when we hired our new coach away from a school that he led to 3 consecutive rose bowls , but couldn't make that next step. His answer when asked why was "Arkansas is willing to give me the money to hire a staff to get to that next level, Wisconsin wasn't"

That isn't because Wisconsin didn't want to, they simply didn't have the money. Do you know that Vanderbilt Univeristy's football team had greater revenue last year than Notre Dame's? LOL

fj1200
01-20-2013, 02:59 PM
Certainly the weather helps. But its all about football and the revenue.

I don't disagree. I forgot you got Bielema, good pickup.

ConHog
01-20-2013, 03:02 PM
I don't disagree. I forgot you got Bielema, good pickup.

I think so, he's putting together a hell of a staff, if he can recruit to SEC standards we're good to go.

This year will be tough, but I think we'll be alright.