PDA

View Full Version : Just A Personal Observation Regarding Something I Find Annoying

Kathianne
01-21-2013, 04:46 PM
right now there are 6 members 'online', 4 are invisible. I've never been big on that mode, I find it annoying. There were times while on staff, that I defaulted there, for moderating reasons. Still I found it annoying then. Moreso now that I can't view what the 'invisible members' are looking at. Seems a cowards way for those not on staff, looking for potential issues that may arise.

Just my opinion.

ConHog
01-21-2013, 04:48 PM
right now there are 6 members 'online', 4 are invisible. I've never been big on that mode, I find it annoying. There were times while on staff, that I defaulted there, for moderating reasons. Still I found it annoying then. Moreso now that I can't view what the 'invisible members' are looking at. Seems a cowards way for those not on staff, looking for potential issues that may arise.

Just my opinion.

I was visible until a recent member admitting to stalking me. Not trying to start anything, but that is the truth. I didn't even know you could view not only what other member's were reading, but you could even tell if they were pming and if so to whom.

Frankly no one's business what I'm doing or who I'm conversing with.

tailfins
01-21-2013, 04:55 PM
Corporate security training has led me not to be logged in unless submitting a transaction, which would be a post for this application.

jimnyc
01-21-2013, 04:58 PM

Just my opinion.

I'm always invisible. This way members can't see how much time I spend here and make fun of me. :coffee:

Abbey Marie
01-21-2013, 05:01 PM
I'm always invisible. This way members can't see how much time I spend here and make fun of me. :coffee:

Or how much you PM us asking for boobie pics. :laugh2: ;)

Kathianne
01-21-2013, 05:05 PM
It's an option, I think available to all? Like I said, I've always felt it was basically for those that want to post and not give a heads up to those wanting to respond in a timely manner. Again, an observation. My opinion for non-staff, a coward's tool.

aboutime
01-21-2013, 05:05 PM
Or how much you PM us asking for boobie pics. :laugh2: ;)

Abbey. Did you say "BOOBIE PICS?"

Is that one of those Hidden threads? :laugh2: :laugh:

Abbey Marie
01-21-2013, 05:06 PM
Abbey. Did you say "BOOBIE PICS?"

Is that one of those Hidden threads? :laugh2: :laugh:

You'll have to ask Jim. I've said too much. :laugh:

ConHog
01-21-2013, 05:07 PM
It's an option, I think available to all? Like I said, I've always felt it was basically for those that want to post and not give a heads up to those wanting to respond in a timely manner. Again, an observation. My opinion for non-staff, a coward's tool.

So is having an unlisted phone number in an effort to avoid stalkers also cowardly?

Kathianne
01-21-2013, 05:10 PM
So is having an unlisted phone number in an effort to avoid stalkers also cowardly?

Most with an unlisted number wish to avoid unsolicited calls. One would assume anyone participating on a messageboard wishes to communicate, with friends and foes. Going invisible means to me, that that person is in all likelihood, aware of the limitations and moreso of their responders talents at calling them out. Trying to 'even their playing field' by posting provocations with no warnings.

jimnyc
01-21-2013, 05:12 PM

Regular members can view the who's online page, but cannot set themselves to invisible, board sponsors can do both.

ConHog
01-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Most with an unlisted number wish to avoid unsolicited calls. One would assume anyone participating on a messageboard wishes to communicate, with friends and foes. Going invisible means to me, that that person is in all likelihood, aware of the limitations and moreso of their responders talents at calling them out. Trying to 'even their playing field' by posting provocations with no warnings.

I see, well the ONLY reason I have switched to invisible mode is because I don't think anyone should be able to track who I'm PMing with. Not even Jim should need that information just to be honest.

Kathianne
01-21-2013, 05:22 PM
I see, well the ONLY reason I have switched to invisible mode is because I don't think anyone should be able to track who I'm PMing with. Not even Jim should need that information just to be honest.

Ok. Myself, as I said, even when on staff here or other boards, I overwhelmingly stay visible. It's a choice. I doubt very much that anyone can glean much from what they see, regarding pm's. I can reliably say, Jim nor any staff, would bother with reading pm's, regardless of ability to do so, would be way too much time and effort, towards what? To find out you were happy with new child or don't like my posts? Hello? They are totally able to infer from what is visible.

Again, an option you choose to employ, no issue. Just as 'no issue' for my opinion that it's a coward's tool.

Kathianne
01-21-2013, 05:23 PM
Regular members can view the who's online page, but cannot set themselves to invisible, board sponsors can do both.

I'm a sponsor, can't view. Perhaps my contribution was too small or too long ago?

aboutime
01-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Ok. Myself, as I said, even when on staff here or other boards, I overwhelmingly stay visible. It's a choice. I doubt very much that anyone can glean much from what they see, regarding pm's. I can reliably say, Jim nor any staff, would bother with reading pm's, regardless of ability to do so, would be way too much time and effort, towards what? To find out you were happy with new child or don't like my posts? Hello? They are totally able to infer from what is visible.

Again, an option you choose to employ, no issue. Just as 'no issue' for my opinion that it's a coward's tool.

Kathianne. I just discovered I was in the Invisible mode. So. I changed it to visible.

Makes no difference to me. I have nothing to hide.

ConHog
01-21-2013, 05:27 PM

and MY opinion is that there is no reason to call people cowards based on their preference of visible or invisible.

Kathianne
01-21-2013, 05:28 PM
and MY opinion is that there is no reason to call people cowards based on their preference of visible or invisible.

You have every right to your opinion, as do I.

jimnyc
01-21-2013, 05:29 PM
I'm a sponsor, can't view. Perhaps my contribution was too small or too long ago?

Nope, you definitely have the ability, or at least your usergroup has that ability, or Red or none of the others would be able to either. This is a setting based on usergroup. What happens when you click to view who's online?

Kathianne
01-21-2013, 05:31 PM
Nope, you definitely have the ability, or at least your usergroup has that ability, or Red or none of the others would be able to either. This is a setting based on usergroup. What happens when you click to view who's online?

I see those in online, visible mode. Thus I find way more members online, than visible. Not an issue, I really was speaking for the issue, not whether or not I 'can view.'

jimnyc
01-21-2013, 05:33 PM

Based on Kath's subsequent reply, I just want to clarify again that staff, myself, no one has the capability to read any PM here. As for tracking... Anyone who has access to view who's online can see that another person is writing a PM, only if the person writing has themselves set to visible.

Myself, I can see everything on who's online regardless of settings. I can only see the same as what others see, only I can do so even if they have themselves set to invisible. No great special abilities. But sometimes there IS good reason for staff to monitor a users actions.

jimnyc
01-21-2013, 05:34 PM
I see those in online, visible mode. Thus I find way more members online, than visible. Not an issue, I really was speaking for the issue, not whether or not I 'can view.'

Oh, ok, that's correct then. No one can view "the invisible" except for staff members. If not for "sponsor", you can't view who's online at all.

ConHog
01-21-2013, 05:36 PM
Based on Kath's subsequent reply, I just want to clarify again that staff, myself, no one has the capability to read any PM here. As for tracking... Anyone who has access to view who's online can see that another person is writing a PM, only if the person writing has themselves set to visible.

Myself, I can see everything on who's online regardless of settings. I can only see the same as what others see, only I can do so even if they have themselves set to invisible. No great special abilities. But sometimes there IS good reason for staff to monitor a users actions.

yes, well aware. At no point was I trying to imply that anyone was reading my or anyone's PMs. I just don't believe you or anyone else should even be concerned with WHO I'm PMing with, not the content of said PMs since you don't know the contents.

Some ARE concerned , and I prefer they don't know. As I said, until the other day I wasn't even aware that this could be tracked by members.

Kathianne
01-21-2013, 05:37 PM
yes, well aware. At no point was I trying to imply that anyone was reading my or anyone's PMs. I just don't believe you or anyone else should even be concerned with WHO I'm PMing with, not the content of said PMs since you don't know the contents.

Some ARE concerned , and I prefer they don't know. As I said, until the other day I wasn't even aware that this could be tracked by members.

As Jim made clear, not an issue. No one can, other than staff.

jimnyc
01-21-2013, 05:43 PM

I can't speak for others, but I can tell you personally, that 99% of the time I couldn't give a crap what others are up to, so long as it's not troublesome for me! I'm just explaining that the ability is there, to see what a member is up to. But I can assure you, and everyone, that we have better things to do than watch all that, like bite my fingernails, or chew on my pencil or just make spit bubbles.

Kathianne
01-21-2013, 05:45 PM
I can't speak for others, but I can tell you personally, that 99% of the time I couldn't give a crap what others are up to, so long as it's not troublesome for me! I'm just explaining that the ability is there, to see what a member is up to. But I can assure you, and everyone, that we have better things to do than watch all that, like bite my fingernails, or chew on my pencil or just make spit bubbles.

I know for a fact that you pick your nose way too often.

jimnyc
01-21-2013, 05:47 PM

Have you been reading my PM's? LOL

ConHog
01-21-2013, 05:48 PM
As Jim made clear, not an issue. No one can, other than staff.

That is NOT what Jim said, and in fact the opposite of what he said. Contributing members can absolutely see who visible members are PMing.

ConHog
01-21-2013, 05:49 PM

Well that's my thoughts to Jim, and indeed what I would have thought about all of us , until the other day when a poster admitted that he was watching to see who I was PMing with.

Bizarre.

Abbey Marie
01-21-2013, 05:51 PM

You know you are riveted to every PM I send to Virgil!

Kathianne
01-21-2013, 05:51 PM
That is NOT what Jim said, and in fact the opposite of what he said. Contributing members can absolutely see who visible members are PMing.

You didn't follow through with reading. He did say I was correct.

aboutime
01-21-2013, 05:52 PM

Kathianne. Now....I'm really worried. Someone is now telling us he knows what color Undershorts I am wearing?????

Jim. That secret Software you must be hiding from all of us just doesn't seem Kosher.

Kathianne
01-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Have you been reading my PM's? LOL

Yes. And your navel is not that interesting either.

aboutime
01-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Yes. And your navel is not that interesting either.

Kathianne. That reminded me. "What do you do with a Dead Elephant's Belly Button?"

Answer: "Put them in the NAVAL Reserve!"

I now apologize for trying to be funny. But...this entire thread has become laughable.

tailfins
01-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Kathianne. Now....I'm really worried. Someone is now telling us he knows what color Undershorts I am wearing?????

Jim. That secret Software you must be hiding from all of us just doesn't seem Kosher.

1) Clear is not a difficult guess, Mr. Commando.
2) Get circumcised if you're worried about Kosher.

aboutime
01-21-2013, 06:20 PM
1) Clear is not a difficult guess, Mr. Commando.
2) Get circumcised if you're worried about Kosher.

Really?

How many 65 year old's go Commando these days?

As for circumcised. Only if you feel like investigating on your own.

I'd call that a "TEST TICKLE"...so to speak.

mundame
01-22-2013, 12:48 PM

Wild! I had no idea that was available. Jeepers, Kathianne is stalking people! Now, that really is overinvolvement in the forum. Doesn't surprise me, but yuck. I hate cyberstalking; you wouldn't think someone would openly admit to it. And let's see, it was RSR who was stalking ConHog.

I'll have to think about that option, being invisible online and to people who want to watch other people PMing. Gross. People can sure get creepy.

tailfins
01-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Wild! I had no idea that was available. Jeepers, Kathianne is stalking people! Now, that really is overinvolvement in the forum. Doesn't surprise me, but yuck. I hate cyberstalking; you wouldn't think someone would openly admit to it. And let's see, it was RSR who was stalking ConHog.

I'll have to think about that option. Gross. People can sure get creepy.

I hate that word creepy. It's a weasel word feminists use against male non-conformists when they are doing nothing wrong.

Little-Acorn
01-22-2013, 12:57 PM

Just my opinion.

I never cared enough to worry about it.

But now you've gotten me thinking.

Am I "visible" or "invisible" right now?

jimnyc
01-22-2013, 12:59 PM

I'll have to think about that option, being invisible online and to people who want to watch other people PMing. Gross. People can sure get creepy.

I wouldn't fret over it, and quite frankly, I wouldn't worry about it being stalking either. If someone is invisible, they are invisible. If not, and another member can view "who's online", this is the kind of things they would see (as examples)

Mundame Creating new thread in lounge

or

Mundame replying to thread Just a personal observation..

or at worst

Mundame creating message to jimnyc

So yes, in a way others MIGHT be able to see examples like the above... But one only needs to set themselves to invisible mode in the control panel if it worries them.

ConHog
01-22-2013, 01:07 PM
I wouldn't fret over it, and quite frankly, I wouldn't worry about it being stalking either. If someone is invisible, they are invisible. If not, and another member can view "who's online", this is the kind of things they would see (as examples)

Mundame Creating new thread in lounge

or

Mundame replying to thread Just a personal observation..

or at worst

Mundame creating message to jimnyc

So yes, in a way others MIGHT be able to see examples like the above... But one only needs to set themselves to invisible mode in the control panel if it worries them.

Setting yourself invisible works to. My question is who even looks at such things? I dont see any advantage in a debate in knowing where other posters are.

Marcus Aurelius
01-22-2013, 01:09 PM

I don't think the board allows that. Last board I was on was similar technically, and the mods were not able to view PM's or see who was PM-ing who. I could be wrong.

jimnyc
01-22-2013, 01:19 PM
I don't think the board allows that. Last board I was on was similar technically, and the mods were not able to view PM's or see who was PM-ing who. I could be wrong.

We can see if someone is sending a PM here, and who they are sending it to - no different than what most other members see if they are on the who's online page.

BUT NO - WE CANNOT view the PM's. The below screenshot is as invasive as it gets - you can see what I have circled. That was just a test so others can see.

http://i47.tinypic.com/35mo1ns.jpg

mundame
01-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Setting yourself invisible works to. My question is who even looks at such things? I dont see any advantage in a debate in knowing where other posters are.

I'm thinking when one starts doing all that, it's probably time to get a life. Or at least go outside and do some gardening. ;)

tailfins
01-22-2013, 01:27 PM
I'm thinking when one starts doing all that, it's probably time to get a life. Or at least go outside and do some gardening. ;)

I would like to see some photos of your sheep. My wife had a pet lamb. Her uncle served it for Christmas dinner after she left for the US.

mundame
01-22-2013, 01:45 PM
My wife had a pet lamb. Her uncle served it for Christmas dinner after she left for the US.

Very tactful of him. A lot of families don't wait that long.

Little-Acorn
01-22-2013, 01:49 PM
Very tactful of him. A lot of families don't wait that long.

And they forget the mint jelly too.

I ask you!

ConHog
01-22-2013, 02:05 PM
We can see if someone is sending a PM here, and who they are sending it to - no different than what most other members see if they are on the who's online page.

BUT NO - WE CANNOT view the PM's. The below screenshot is as invasive as it gets - you can see what I have circled. That was just a test so others can see.

http://i47.tinypic.com/35mo1ns.jpg

just want to reiterate at NO time did I even mention staff, let alone the possibility that they were reading PMs.

I merely stated that ONE poster made mention that he was watching the activity stream to see who I was PMing with and I found that a tad creepy, so I set my status to invisible.

This poster did NOT allude to knowing the contents of said PM, but he definitely clearly knew WHO I was PMing. As another poster said, when you're at the point of watching to see who other posters are PMing with, you probably need to go get some fresh air, but that's on them, not me. I merely did what I thought was best for ME.