PDA

View Full Version : Check out Megaupload story

Robert A Whit
01-24-2013, 01:49 PM
This is a case of the FBI spouting guilty ahead of any trial. This guy who changed his name to Dotcom owned a company called megaupload. The FBI claims the site shared files. He claims it stored files but never shared files.

I had not heard of this until today I was watching Russian Times on TV. I got sick of the crap Democrats were pulling on CSPAN so I decided to see what else was going on.

So, as I get the story, his mansion is in New Zealand and it was raided about a year ago. I never saw it ever on our news. Some of you may know about this.

It was taken to the New Zealand high court and the search was pronounced as illegal. The FBI with no authority actually grabbed his hard drives and cloned them and kept them despite the high courts verdict that the search was not legal.

What the hell can the FBI get away when it is still trying to force New Zealand to extradite Dotcom to the USA to of course be put on a sham trial then put into prison?

Any comments?
http://rt.com/news/dotcom-launch-mega-website-336/

jimnyc
01-24-2013, 01:57 PM
And in the meantime, he has now started http://www.mega.co.nz

He's trying to rub it in! LOL This new server automatically encodes all uploads and he couldn't monitor what the uploads are even if he wanted to. When a user who uploaded a file wants to share it, he has to create a security key from the download area, to share with those he gives a link to the file, in order for them to be able to download. He's got a TOS of course which forbids illegal files, and an are to comply with DMCA in order to remove something they would find to be a movie/song. But he may have found a loophole with the encryption, which is a great security feature for the uploaders, and literally forbids him from monitoring. They will likely just try and pass new laws to bring this one down too.

And yes, look up and read about the DMCA (digital millennium copyright act). Many countries work with the US to prevent piracy. They not only will monitor servers, close accounts, but also help identify and prosecute. I've seen many literally have their domains taken away from them. You show up to a site one day and see a message from ICE telling you that the site/domain has been seized. And yes, it's ICE that does the seizing. Weird.

So some of these upload sites end up in countries that don't give a crap and will thumb their noses at complaints. Not that I would know anything about that. Downloading music/movies isn't nice. :coffee:

Robert A Whit
01-24-2013, 02:34 PM
And in the meantime, he has now started http://www.mega.co.nz

He's trying to rub it in! LOL This new server automatically encodes all uploads and he couldn't monitor what the uploads are even if he wanted to. When a user who uploaded a file wants to share it, he has to create a security key from the download area, to share with those he gives a link to the file, in order for them to be able to download. He's got a TOS of course which forbids illegal files, and an are to comply with DMCA in order to remove something they would find to be a movie/song. But he may have found a loophole with the encryption, which is a great security feature for the uploaders, and literally forbids him from monitoring. They will likely just try and pass new laws to bring this one down too.

And yes, look up and read about the DMCA (digital millennium copyright act). Many countries work with the US to prevent piracy. They not only will monitor servers, close accounts, but also help identify and prosecute. I've seen many literally have their domains taken away from them. You show up to a site one day and see a message from ICE telling you that the site/domain has been seized. And yes, it's ICE that does the seizing. Weird.

So some of these upload sites end up in countries that don't give a crap and will thumb their noses at complaints. Not that I would know anything about that. Downloading music/movies isn't nice. :coffee:

Yes, I had learned just what you said about his new start up. I checked out the news and what do you know, the best account came from the Russian Times. I read though that it is the FBI that has the cloned hard drives.

For some reason, New Zealand is resisting any exttradition. I would think that if the N/Z legal authorities thought what he did was not legal, they would be heading the pack to get him on trial.