PDA

View Full Version : Nation’s Biggest Outdoor Show Postponed Indefinitely Due to Anti Gun Nuts

red states rule
01-25-2013, 03:57 AM
Thanks to the anti gun nuts there are fewer people with jobs, lost revenue for the vendors (which may lead to job losses) and millions in lost revenue to the state of PA.
NORWALK, Conn., Jan. 24, 2013 -- /PRNewswire/ -- Reed Exhibitions today announced it has decided to postpone, for now, the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show given the controversy surrounding the company's decision to limit the sale or display of assault rifles at the event. The show was scheduled to take place February 2-10 in Harrisburg, PA."Our original decision not to include certain products in the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show this year was made in order to preserve the event's historical focus on the hunting and fishing traditions enjoyed by American families," said Chet Burchett, Reed Exhibitions President for the Americas. "In the current climate, we felt that the presence of MSRs would distract from the theme of hunting and fishing, disrupting the broader experience of our guests. This was intended simply as a product decision, of the type event organizers need to make every day.
"It has become very clear to us after speaking with our customers that the event could not be held because the atmosphere of this year's show would not be conducive to an event that is designed to provide family enjoyment. It is unfortunate that in the current emotionally charged atmosphere this celebratory event has become overshadowed by a decision that directly affected a small percentage of more than 1,000 exhibits showcasing products and services for those interested in hunting and fishing.

"ESS has long been proud to participate in the preservation and promotion of hunting and fishing traditions, and we hope that as the national debate clarifies, we will have an opportunity to consider rescheduling the event when the time is right to focus on the themes it celebrates."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/24/5138302/reed-exhibitions-issues-statement.html#storylink=cpy
http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/24/5138302/reed-exhibitions-issues-statement.html

jimnyc
01-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Actually, Red, they postponed it because of the NRA promoting a boycott against them for not allowing certain guns. Because of the boycott, they had to cancel.

mundame
01-25-2013, 12:28 PM
So this big hunting and fishing show did not think assault weapons had much to do with hunting and fishing, huh?

BIG duh. I'm glad to see some gun owners have their head screwed on right.

jimnyc
01-25-2013, 12:34 PM
So this big hunting and fishing show did not think assault weapons had much to do with hunting and fishing, huh?

BIG duh. I'm glad to see some gun owners have their head screwed on right.

It wasn't gun owners who made the decision but rather the organizers. A gun like an AR15 is very comparable to many hunting rifles, and many people use them as such. This is organizers falling prey to the media and not displaying weapons that are on the bottom rung of "killers" that people are so afraid of. They messed with the people who planned on selling at the event - the people who MAKE the event. They made a mistake and all of the people pulled out.

mundame
01-25-2013, 01:40 PM
Well, we'll see.

I myself think this means the country, including gun owners like me, and this large show, are turning firmly against these weapons of mass destruction designed purely for killing lots of people, and that all this means assault weapons will be banned within this calendar year, 2013, if the rampage shooters keep up their brisk tempo of school and mall shootings.

It does not surprise me that the hunting and fishing organization did NOT want to get involved in all this horror, or be linked with it.

jimnyc
01-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Well, we'll see.

I myself think this means the country, including gun owners like me, and this large show, are turning firmly against these weapons of mass destruction designed purely for killing lots of people, and that all this means assault weapons will be banned within this calendar year, 2013, if the rampage shooters keep up their brisk tempo of school and mall shootings.

It does not surprise me that the hunting and fishing organization did NOT want to get involved in all this horror, or be linked with it.

If that were true, this show would have went on. The gun owners have spoken with things like this, and emptying out gun stores of all their "assault rifles" and ammunition over the last 4-6 months. They would still be on the shelves if people were turning against them.

And "brisk tempo"? Please, no need for exaggeration. Less than 3% of ALL gun shootings, malls/schools & over the entire nation during the course of last year - made up for less than 3% of all the deaths. Yes, ALL gun shootings need to be stopped, but the right way.

Marcus Aurelius
01-25-2013, 01:59 PM
I'd love to see where in the 2nd amendment it limits the type of arms citizens can have only to those traditionally used for hunting.

bingster
01-25-2013, 02:47 PM
Thanks to the anti gun nuts there are fewer people with jobs, lost revenue for the vendors (which may lead to job losses) and millions in lost revenue to the state of PA.

I don't see the "anti gun nut" connection. Your article describes a responsible organization making a decision that demonstrates sensitivity.

bingster
01-25-2013, 02:49 PM
I'd love to see where in the 2nd amendment it limits the type of arms citizens can have only to those traditionally used for hunting.

No, the 2nd amendment talks about a "well regulated militia". You can't make one argument without seeing the other.

Marcus Aurelius
01-25-2013, 03:18 PM
No, the 2nd amendment talks about a "well regulated militia". You can't make one argument without seeing the other.

someone has posted a dissection of the 2nd amendment on this board.

Here's a link to it...

http://constitution.org/2ll/schol/2amd_grammar.htm

You should read it before you continue with your flawed interpretation that a 'well regulated militia' is the only reason there is a 2nd amendment.

mundame
01-25-2013, 03:20 PM
If that were true, this show would have went on. The gun owners have spoken with things like this, and emptying out gun stores of all their "assault rifles" and ammunition over the last 4-6 months. They would still be on the shelves if people were turning against them.

This is a good point, and you are right that the gun show attendence has been huge and people are buying out the stores. I don't know what to make of this, considering the polls that say 75% of the public want a ban.

And "brisk tempo"? Please, no need for exaggeration. Less than 3% of ALL gun shootings, malls/schools & over the entire nation during the course of last year - made up for less than 3% of all the deaths. Yes, ALL gun shootings need to be stopped, but the right way.

I'm not exaggerating: we all know that the rampage killings have become more and more frequent and high kill volume since Columbine in 1999. That is actually the problem --- they're increasing. It's a problem for the nation, and also for the NRA. Maybe it will all stop short, but why would it? We know they are competing, they leave notes and websites and those in prison talk to psychologists about it. Unless this is stopped, I think the NRA and owners of AR-15s have a problem.

jimnyc
01-25-2013, 03:29 PM
This is a good point, and you are right that the gun show attendence has been huge and people are buying out the stores. I don't know what to make of this, considering the polls that say 75% of the public want a ban.

Flawed and targeted polling is what you can make out of it. This is why I hate almost all polls. Asking 1000 people to speak for 350 million is going to give us bad results, often. Another poll was posted here today with quite the opposite results.

jimnyc
01-25-2013, 03:31 PM
I'm not exaggerating: we all know that the rampage killings have become more and more frequent and high kill volume since Columbine in 1999. That is actually the problem --- they're increasing. It's a problem for the nation, and also for the NRA. Maybe it will all stop short, but why would it? We know they are competing, they leave notes and websites and those in prison talk to psychologists about it. Unless this is stopped, I think the NRA and owners of AR-15s have a problem.

I can count on less than 2 hands these so called rampage shootings made in high capacity areas, and that's 14 years since Columbine. Yes, it sucks, and they should ALL be prevented, but AR15 shootings, or mass shootings with ANY rifle, is hardly like a crack epidemic. They are few and far between, in reality.

Marcus Aurelius
01-25-2013, 03:39 PM
Fyi.....

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-25/assault-weapons-ban-lacks-democratic-votes-to-pass-senate.html
assault weapons ban lacks democratic votes to pass senate

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/01/15/video-reid-backing-away-from-assault-weapons-ban/
video: Reid backing away from assault-weapons ban?

“the second amendment is something that was adhered to by hubert humphrey, john kennedy,” reid said. “so i don’t think anyone wants to diminish the second amendment, but i think everyone should just take a deep breath and realize where we are and where we need to go.

“we have too much violence in our society, and it’s not just from guns. It’s from a lot of stuff. And i think we should take a look at tv, movies, video games and weapons. And i hope that everyone will just be careful and cautious.”

rather than commit to any specific courses of action, reid said he’d wait to see what obama will propose on guns — and through executive order. For now, the democratic leader in the senate said it’s time to take a breath.

“let’s just look at everything. I don’t think we need to point to anything now,” he said. “we need to be very cool and cautious.”

“we have to be fair. I was surprised with the poll results that came after this terrible situation that occurred at sandy hook. The numbers around the country — most people favor having the ability of people to carry guns,” he said. “so i think that the american people want us to be very cautious what we do. I think they want us to do things that are logical, smart, and make the country safer, not just be doing things that get a headline in a newspaper.”

Marcus Aurelius
01-25-2013, 03:42 PM

No, you're flat out lying. Again.

You never bothered to link to proof of your asinine implications that there were something like 14,000 deaths of children and shoppers last year. Why is that? Because you're a fucking liar.

red states rule
01-25-2013, 04:59 PM

Quotes on the Second AmendmentThe Founding Fathers on the Second Amendment
"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Co-author of the Second Amendment
during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
"A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves …"
Richard Henry Lee
writing in Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic, Letter XVIII, May, 1788.
"The people are not to be disarmed of their weapons. They are left in full posession of them."
Zachariah Johnson
Elliot's Debates, vol. 3 "The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adoption of the Federal Constitution."
"… the people are confirmed by the next article in their right to keep and bear their private arms"
Philadelphia Federal Gazette
June 18, 1789, Pg. 2, Col. 2
Article on the Bill of Rights"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …"
Samuel Adams
quoted in the Philadelphia Independent Gazetteer, August 20, 1789, "Propositions submitted to the Convention of this State" http://cap-n-ball.com/fathers.htm

red states rule
01-25-2013, 05:00 PM
I don't see the "anti gun nut" connection. Your article describes a responsible organization making a decision that demonstrates sensitivity.

Once again you prove liberals and liberalism are driven on pure emotion

aboutime
01-25-2013, 09:27 PM
I can count on less than 2 hands these so called rampage shootings made in high capacity areas, and that's 14 years since Columbine. Yes, it sucks, and they should ALL be prevented, but AR15 shootings, or mass shootings with ANY rifle, is hardly like a crack epidemic. They are few and far between, in reality.

jimnyc. There IS a larger epidemic taking place that exceeds all of the Anti-gun claims. And that epidemic is easily called Lies.

The Anti-gun crowd needs something to hang their lies on. So they instantly jumped on the CT shootings to Inflate, Embolden, and use as their only Excuse. One they have been waiting for, and hoping for since the First Assault Rifle ban expired.

We are seeing Feinstein running her own campaign, on the heels of the Obama campaign that never really ended in November.

So. Any excuse anyone can find....Such as this Biggest Outdoor Show....is all they need to keep their Sad, Uninformed, Twisted, Easily led little brains occupied until hopefully...Another shooting takes place, somewhere in this country that will allow them to all SING LOUDLY... "SEE, WE TOLD YA SO!"
And it will only fall on the Uneducated, Easily led ears who know WHAT SIDE OF THE BREAD...their Butter is on.

red states rule
01-26-2013, 04:21 AM
Quotes on the Second Amendment

The Founding Fathers on the Second Amendment

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Co-author of the Second Amendment
during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
"A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves …"
Richard Henry Lee
writing in Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic, Letter XVIII, May, 1788.
"The people are not to be disarmed of their weapons. They are left in full posession of them."
Zachariah Johnson
Elliot's Debates, vol. 3 "The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adoption of the Federal Constitution."
"… the people are confirmed by the next article in their right to keep and bear their private arms"
Philadelphia Federal Gazette
June 18, 1789, Pg. 2, Col. 2
Article on the Bill of Rights"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …"
Samuel Adams
quoted in the Philadelphia Independent Gazetteer, August 20, 1789, "Propositions submitted to the Convention of this State" http://cap-n-ball.com/fathers.htm

Eh Bingster - where are you?

red states rule
01-27-2013, 12:05 AM
Bingster - here are other quotes from the Founders regarding guns.
The Founding Fathers on Arms
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
First President of the United States
"The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the other hand arms, like laws, discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as property. The same balance would be preserved were all the world destitute of arms, for all would be alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay them aside … Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."
Thomas Paine
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
Richard Henry Lee
American Statesman, 1788
"The great object is that every man be armed." and "Everyone who is able may have a gun."
Patrick Henry
American Patriot
"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?"
Patrick Henry
American Patriot
"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Thomas Jefferson
Third President of the United States
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that … it is their right and duty to be at all times armed; … "
Thomas Jefferson
letter to Justice John Cartwright, June 5, 1824. ME 16:45. "The best we can help for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
Alexander Hamilton
The Federalist Papers at 184-8 http://cap-n-ball.com/fathers.htm