PDA

View Full Version : Sandy victims left out in the cold during arctic blast

jimnyc
01-25-2013, 04:43 PM
WTF? I thought Obama promised to cut red tape and not allow for stuff like this to happen?

The brutal cold snap affecting much of the country is taking a devastating toll on victims of superstorm Sandy, many of whom are camped out in tent cities or living in homes without power, heat or running water.

Those unable to get proper lodging have hunkered down in their homes without the basic necessities of heat, electricity, or running water.

“Many families in Union Beach are using space heaters to warm upstairs,” said Jeanette Van Houten, a resident from the small New Jersey town that was among the hardest-hit communities. “There’s people with no heat, no electric, but they are staying in the house because it’s better than having to deal with FEMA and having to leave hotels every two weeks.

“There are families who have chosen to stay in their homes just to have some sort of normalcy,” she added.

The cold wave has brought single-digit temperatures to the Northeast, some 10 to 15 degrees below normal for the time of year.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/25/sandy-victims-left-out-in-cold-during-arctic-blast/

Thunderknuckles
01-25-2013, 04:48 PM
WTF? I thought Obama promised to cut red tape and not allow for stuff like this to happen?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/25/sandy-victims-left-out-in-cold-during-arctic-blast/
By the looks of it, the article backfires on Fox. The people are getting help from FEMA, they just don't like it and would rather stay home?

jimnyc
01-25-2013, 04:51 PM
By the looks of it, the article backfires on Fox. The people are getting help from FEMA, they just don't like it and would rather stay home?

I think they are saying they would rather do so, as Fema as doing a shitty job. If staying in a home with freezing temperatures is better than FEMA, just what is it they are offering?

Can you imagine some of them, still living in tent cities? Hell, at least put the people in a hotel!

red states rule
01-25-2013, 04:54 PM
Libs once gain show their compassion for their fellow Americans. Oh well, Obama and the Dems have more important things to do. Like campaign for more gun laws, more debt. increased spending, and trashing the NRA and Republicans. They can't be worried about these political pawns who may be a little chilly and without a home. They wil get around to them as soon as they can arrange a photo-op then they will get the hell out of the disaster area as fast as they can

aboutime
01-25-2013, 07:16 PM

Jim. The ELECTION was over in November. Obama won. The last thing he wants to hear now is anything about his largest, Democrat base in the NorthEast states....being forgotten, or strangled by Red Tape.

After all. They were JUST VOTES.

Nukeman
01-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Just shows that in times of need you can NOT depend on the govt to help. Ohh they can handle smaller stuff lake a few thousand but you get up to a hundred thousand or more and its not going to happen!!!!!!!!

ConHog
01-25-2013, 07:32 PM

No more new taxes!!

I will close Gitmo

I did not have sex with that woman

etc etc

aka politicians are liars.

Voted4Reagan
01-25-2013, 07:37 PM
still nothing from Fema

gabosaurus
01-26-2013, 11:55 AM
I think they are saying they would rather do so, as Fema as doing a shitty job. If staying in a home with freezing temperatures is better than FEMA, just what is it they are offering?

Can you imagine some of them, still living in tent cities? Hell, at least put the people in a hotel!

Jim, welcome to the U.S. government.
FEMA does a crappy job because it is mismanaged and underfunded. Because the previous administration folded FEMA into Homeland Security. And because Congress plays political games with FEMA.
There are STILL victims of Hurricane Ike (Sept. 2008) living in trailers. Because they haven't gotten the promised funding and low interest loans.
Victims of Ike and Katrina had to battle the government for years. Welcome to their world.

red states rule
01-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Jim, welcome to the U.S. government.
FEMA does a crappy job because it is mismanaged and underfunded. Because the previous administration folded FEMA into Homeland Security. And because Congress plays political games with FEMA.
There are STILL victims of Hurricane Ike (Sept. 2008) living in trailers. Because they haven't gotten the promised funding and low interest loans.
Victims of Ike and Katrina had to battle the government for years. Welcome to their world.

and yet FEMA's budget continues to grow and Dems have called for BILLIONS more. Once again, Dems show their solution to any problem is to throw money at the problem.

taft2012
01-26-2013, 12:17 PM

If you look back to Katrina....

When people were making painfully obvious observations such as; "Gee, why didn't they use all of those school buses that got flooded out to evacuate the people from New Orleans?"

We were met with liberal sneers such as; "School buses? ZOMG! That's degrading! Dehumanizing!"

Look now and you will see that the very same voices that didn't think the school buses were suitable for a 2 or 3 hour drive, now find a FEMA flaptent in a parking lot for the foreseeable future, in any and every weather condition imaginable, to be a more than adequate provision.

gabosaurus
01-26-2013, 12:22 PM
If you look back to Katrina....

When people were making painfully obvious observations such as; "Gee, why didn't they use all of those school buses that got flooded out to evacuate the people from New Orleans?"

We were met with liberal sneers such as; "School buses? ZOMG! That's degrading! Dehumanizing!"

Look now and you will see that the very same voices that didn't think the school buses were suitable now find a FEMA flaptent in a parking lot for the foreseeable future, in any and every weather condition imaginable, to be a more than adequate provision.

You are posing questions while overlooking the answers. Which have always been there.
New Orleans didn't use the buses because they didn't have the drivers. Nor did they have the fuel.
The same reason why many NO residents didn't leave because they didn't have any sort of transportation.
My guess is some of the same people who complained about the government spending too much money on Katrina are the same ones yelling about not getting money for Sandy aid.

red states rule
01-26-2013, 12:28 PM
You are posing questions while overlooking the answers. Which have always been there.
New Orleans didn't use the buses because they didn't have the drivers. Nor did they have the fuel.
The same reason why many NO residents didn't leave because they didn't have any sort of transportation.
My guess is some of the same people who complained about the government spending too much money on Katrina are the same ones yelling about not getting money for Sandy aid.

Are you saying the people in NO are too damn stupid to put the key in the ignition, push the clutch, and put the stick shift into 1st gear and move the damn bus? The people were offered trains as a way to leave Gabby, but were turned down. The only money that people are screaming about with Sandy aid was all the PORK going to states that were not affected by Sandy and the gross incompetence of the Dems doing noting for the people who probably voted for them

taft2012
01-26-2013, 12:33 PM

Nice theory to toss out, but with 2 to 3 day's advance notice, it doesn't hold up that there wasn't fuel for school buses in September.

http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/9/8/114045.shtml

Turns out, Nagin turned his nose up at the yellow buses, demanding more comfortable Greyhound coaches instead.

"I need 500 buses, man," he told WWL. "One of the briefings we had they were talking about getting, you know, public school bus drivers to come down here and bus people out of here."

Nagin described his response:

"I'm like - you've got to be kidding me. This is a natural disaster. Get every doggone Greyhound bus line in the country and get their asses moving to New Orleans."

While Nagin was waiting for his Greyhound fleet, Katrina's floodwaters swamped his school buses, rendering them unusable.

red states rule
01-26-2013, 12:36 PM
Taft, something tells me Gabby will turn her blue nose at this thread, suddenly become "busy" and never be heard from again :laugh2:

taft2012
01-26-2013, 12:45 PM
Taft, something tells me Gabby will turn her blue nose at this thread, suddenly become "busy" and never be heard from again :laugh2:

I was a little bit surprised to actually find her in the middle of a thread.

She usually just starts threads and ambles away, like a dog that takes a dump on the sidewalk and moves on, wondering how many people are going to step in it.

red states rule
01-27-2013, 05:17 AM
I was a little bit surprised to actually find her in the middle of a thread.

She usually just starts threads and ambles away, like a dog that takes a dump on the sidewalk and moves on, wondering how many people are going to step in it.

and I am sure you noticed Gabby has been back on the board and has ignored this thread. Not out of character for her - I guess she got "bored" or had to scamper off to attend to her employment duties. And if you believe that Taft I have some prime beachfront property in AZ I can sell you real cheap

ConHog
01-28-2013, 12:13 AM
Odd that so many "conservatives" are in this thread bitching that the government isnt doing enough to help hurricane victims. I thought that was churches job?

Fuck people who build on the seashore then cry when a hurricane hits. Why should the government be able to steal my money to help them?

red states rule
01-28-2013, 03:08 AM
The prok continues to flow and all the added revenue Obama got form his latest round of tax increases is now spent
Congress (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/congress/) is poised to clear the final $50 billion chunk of emergency aid for Superstorm Sandy relief Monday — and in one vote, it will have used up all the new tax money President Obama won by raising rates on the wealthy in the “fiscal cliff” deal.
The tax deal that Congress (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/congress/) and Mr. Obama reached in early January cut taxes overall but let them rise on individuals making more than $250,000 a year and families with income of more than $300,000. Those increases brought the government somewhere on the order of about $40 billion for fiscal year 2013.
The spending bill for storm recovery costs $50 billion and, coupled with an additional $9.7 billion in flood insurance money Congress (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/congress/) passed this month, brings the total tab for Sandy to $60 billion.
Sen. Mike Lee (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/mike-lee/), Utah Republican, will offer an amendment in the Senate (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/senate/) on Monday to try to offset the $50 billion by an across-the-board half-percent cut, but it is expected to fail, meaning almost the entire $60 billion will have been tacked onto the deficit — more than eating up the money gained from the additional taxes.
“The Sandy aid packages swallowed more than the tax increases,” said Matt A. Mayer (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/matt-a-mayer/), a visiting fellow at the Heritage Foundation (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/heritage-foundation/) who has been tracking Sandy spending. “Washington just doesn’t get the severity of our fiscal condition.”
The Sandy spending is emergency funding that is added to this year’s balance sheet, while Mr. Obama’s tax increases will produce revenue into the future.
The Joint Committee on Taxation (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/joint-committee-on-taxation/), which scores tax bills for Congress (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/congress/), said raising the income and investment tax rates and patching the alternative minimum tax will lead to $574.4 billion more in revenue over the next decade, compared with a scenario in which Congress (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/congress/) had extended all Bush-era tax cuts.
The Sandy spending is on a glide path through Congress (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/congress/), nearly three months after the storm struck the Northeast, killing more than 130 Americans, flooding hundreds of thousands of homes and damaging public infrastructure such as the New York City subway system.
Governors and lawmakers from the affected areas have been begging for the money to move, but it faced roadblocks first in the House, where Republicans balked at bringing it to the floor for a vote, and then in the Senate (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/senate/).
After swearing in new senators Jan. 3, the upper chamber adjourned for two weeks. When they returned last week, they spent most of their time stalled over whether to change the rules on filibusters.
“It’s long overdue,” Senate (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/senate/) Majority Leader Harry Reid (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/harry-reid/), Nevada Democrat, said last week regarding Sandy relief.
Of the $50 billion in the latest package, nearly $20 billion would go to repairs on roads and infrastructure, $4 billion to the Army Corps of Engineers and more than a half-billion dollars to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jan/28/sandy-relief-bill-eats-up-taxes-on-the-rich/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS#ixzz2JJZGyQLU

bingster
01-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Libs once gain show their compassion for their fellow Americans. Oh well, Obama and the Dems have more important things to do. Like campaign for more gun laws, more debt. increased spending, and trashing the NRA and Republicans. They can't be worried about these political pawns who may be a little chilly and without a home. They wil get around to them as soon as they can arrange a photo-op then they will get the hell out of the disaster area as fast as they can

What do you want the president to do, man? The bill could have passed a couple of weeks ago, but Red State Republicans who were cool with the pork in their 60 billion aid package when it helped Louisiana, now have a problem with Blue State Pork. Fema is there and I'm sure the governors are getting all the support they ask for or else there would be plenty of Fox stories saying they are not.

The Senate passed the $50 billion today. I think it still has to go to the House. Even on financing issues, the House in incapable of taking the lead.

Kathianne
01-28-2013, 07:23 PM
What do you want the president to do, man? The bill could have passed a couple of weeks ago, but Red State Republicans who were cool with the pork in their 60 billion aid package when it helped Louisiana, now have a problem with Blue State Pork. Fema is there and I'm sure the governors are getting all the support they ask for or else there would be plenty of Fox stories saying they are not.

The Senate passed the $50 billion today. I think it still has to go to the House. Even on financing issues, the House in incapable of taking the lead.

Even the NYT isn't going with this meme anymore. The problem isn't the Republicans, it's the administration. You know it, we know it, even the NYT knows it.

jimnyc
01-28-2013, 08:08 PM

The president could make a few phone calls and have these people in hotels if he really wanted to. And considering he told Christie, and others, to call him directly if there are any issues - I think this qualifies as an issue. Don't give your word to people if you can't back it up.

And regardless of which side does it, the pork crap has to stop. This one is as despicable as a place to place them, and I don't care which side. Besides, with pork, NOTHING can beat a democrat selling her vote for Obamacare to the tune of $300 million for her district, speaking of Louisiana!

ConHog
01-28-2013, 09:15 PM
The president could make a few phone calls and have these people in hotels if he really wanted to. And considering he told Christie, and others, to call him directly if there are any issues - I think this qualifies as an issue. Don't give your word to people if you can't back it up.

And regardless of which side does it, the pork crap has to stop. This one is as despicable as a place to place them, and I don't care which side. Besides, with pork, NOTHING can beat a democrat selling her vote for Obamacare to the tune of $300 million for her district, speaking of Louisiana!

Bu why should he? Its not the governments job . Let churches help them

Kathianne
01-28-2013, 09:18 PM

That's not what Obama has said, regarding this or previous catastrophes.

jimnyc
01-28-2013, 09:19 PM

In my neck of the woods, when a man gives his word, he honors it. And when he has something to say, he says it, not beat around the bush with generalizations.

aboutime
01-28-2013, 09:22 PM
That's not what Obama has said, regarding this or previous catastrophes.

Kathianne. Imagine how the left would have reacted, had someone from the Bush admin. said those same words about Katrina???

As for catastrophes. Obama is the Biggest one of all. Every time he opens his mouth, or uses a pen. The American people with the ability to THINK, and be Responsible become victims of Obama.

ConHog
01-28-2013, 09:28 PM
In my neck of the woods, when a man gives his word, he honors it. And when he has something to say, he says it, not beat around the bush with generalizations.

Im not defending obama. We all know hes slime.

gabosaurus
01-28-2013, 09:30 PM

The same thing was proposed during Katrina. Conservatives railed against it as a waste of money and stated that people should be happy with their tents and FEMA trailers.
There was a piece on the news earlier about, amongst the celebrations in New Orleans now with Mardi Gras and the Super Bowl, some people have been fixing property damaged by Katrina. Because they have just now got the money.
Like you people said after Katrina and Ike, it's not the government's problem that Sandy victims don't have a place to live. Go after your insurance companies.

jimnyc
01-28-2013, 09:31 PM
Im not defending obama. We all know hes slime.

I was speaking of you, and the pokes, about how churches should help them or any of that other crap. It's nothing I ever said, and it implied that the conservatives in this thread had previously stated such. I don't know where that commentary is coming from, but it should be directed at that individual and not conservatives.

Kathianne
01-28-2013, 09:32 PM
I was speaking of you, and the pokes, about how churches should help them or any of that other crap. It's nothing I ever said, and it implied that the conservatives in this thread had previously stated such. I don't know where that commentary is coming from, but it should be directed at that individual and not conservatives.

he does use the 'poke' liberally.

jimnyc
01-28-2013, 09:35 PM
he does use the 'poke' liberally.

:poke:

Kathianne
01-28-2013, 09:37 PM
:poke:

Damn! I take offense!

red states rule
01-29-2013, 03:14 AM
The same thing was proposed during Katrina. Conservatives railed against it as a waste of money and stated that people should be happy with their tents and FEMA trailers.
There was a piece on the news earlier about, amongst the celebrations in New Orleans now with Mardi Gras and the Super Bowl, some people have been fixing property damaged by Katrina. Because they have just now got the money.
Like you people said after Katrina and Ike, it's not the government's problem that Sandy victims don't have a place to live. Go after your insurance companies.

But I recall everything in NO was Bush's fault 24 hours after the storm hit. Even after the incompetence of the Dem Mayor of Gov were exposed, Bush was still the man the liberal media blamed for everything. Now with Obama in charge - the incompetence is simply ignored

red states rule
01-29-2013, 03:18 AM
Kathianne. Imagine how the left would have reacted, had someone from the Bush admin. said those same words about Katrina???

As for catastrophes. Obama is the Biggest one of all. Every time he opens his mouth, or uses a pen. The American people with the ability to THINK, and be Responsible become victims of Obama.

Here is one of Obama's biggest worshipers who said on live TV he was delighted the storm hit to benefit Obama politically

<iframe width="500" height="281" title="MRC TV video player" src="http://www.mrctv.org/embed/118168" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

red states rule
01-29-2013, 03:51 AM
This sums up the next 4 years for the producers http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/holb_c10675120130129120100.jpg