PDA

View Full Version : Is a 2 x 100K family the best choice?

tailfins
01-28-2013, 08:22 AM
After thinking how government punishes additional income, isn't there more incentive than ever for stay at home moms? If there is a couple that earns a hundred grand each, if one stops earning that hundred grand, how much net household income are they losing after associated taxes and expenses? Before someone screams "let the man stay home", the majority of the time forcing a man to be a nurturer is like forcing a right handed person to be a lefty and wouldn't end well. The nurturing job just isn't getting done and leads us to a coarser society.

darin
01-28-2013, 09:16 AM
An ever bigger question, in my mind, is where they are earning that money. $200k gross in NYC barely gets by. In California, i've seen Low-Income housing starting for people who made up to $85,000/year.

Nobody accounts for that because it destroys their argument about is 'weathly'.

tailfins
01-28-2013, 09:49 AM
An ever bigger question, in my mind, is where they are earning that money. $200k gross in NYC barely gets by. In California, i've seen Low-Income housing starting for people who made up to $85,000/year.

Nobody accounts for that because it destroys their argument about is 'weathly'.

$100K will give you a decent life anywhere you work in the US, except maybe Hawaii. Even if you work in Manhattan, you can live in Staten Island (yes Robert, IN the borough of Staten Island) and do OK on 100K.

darin
01-28-2013, 10:49 AM
$100K will give you a decent life anywhere you work in the US, except maybe Hawaii. Even if you work in Manhattan, you can live in Staten Island (yes Robert, IN the borough of Staten Island) and do OK on 100K.

No way. Not practically. On paper? maybe. MAYBE.

Santa Barbara CA - try on 100k. Unreal.
Manhattan? Not a chance.
Hard enough to do that near Detroit.

Taxes, Fees, Gas, Housing - all those rape one's income.

tailfins
01-28-2013, 11:05 AM
No way. Not practically. On paper? maybe. MAYBE.

Santa Barbara CA - try on 100k. Unreal.
Manhattan? Not a chance.
Hard enough to do that near Detroit.

Taxes, Fees, Gas, Housing - all those rape one's income.

If you work in Santa Barbara or Manhattan, you don't have to live there.

gabosaurus
02-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Which is why I live where I do. It keeps the riff raff out. :p

tailfins
02-04-2013, 12:49 PM

That's awfully elitist for a liberal/Democrat! People in gated communities are often one dimensional. I would take a good ethnic neighborhood any day of the week. Who wants to live in a community where everyone seems to have a stick up their butt? Be careful not to leave your trash cans out overnight so you don't get fined by the Homeowners Association.

gabosaurus
02-05-2013, 01:32 AM
That's awfully elitist for a liberal/Democrat! People in gated communities are often one dimensional. I would take a good ethnic neighborhood any day of the week. Who wants to live in a community where everyone seems to have a stick up their butt? Be careful not to leave your trash cans out overnight so you don't get fined by the Homeowners Association.

Dude, you are sooo dumb sometimes! :p The sarcasm flies right over your head.

I don't live in a gated neighborhood. We don't have a homeowners association. My neighbors are Russians, Muslims, Latinos and plain old Americans. The most expensive house in my neighborhood is owned by ... black people! I know you wouldn't approve.

darin
02-05-2013, 04:41 AM
If you work in Santa Barbara or Manhattan, you don't have to live there.

Doesn't matter and you know it. You know exactly that I'm right about the context of income; yet you're sticking to your guns to prove your point....which is patently wrong.

tailfins
02-05-2013, 08:00 AM
Doesn't matter and you know it. You know exactly that I'm right about the context of income; yet you're sticking to your guns to prove your point....which is patently wrong.

My point/premise is that sending the wife out to work for a second income gains you little/nothing. It costs you having your kids raised my a minimum wage person who doesn't have a personal interest in the kids and that disinterest is divided among 20 kids.

Dude, you are sooo dumb sometimes! http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/smilies/tongue.png The sarcasm flies right over your head.

I don't live in a gated neighborhood. We don't have a homeowners association. My neighbors are Russians, Muslims, Latinos and plain old Americans. The most expensive house in my neighborhood is owned by ... black people! I know you wouldn't approve.

Three years ago, probably not. Since leaving the South, not a problem. I would rather my son bring home someone from Bahia than some feminist.

Some Bahianas - (Bahia is Brazil's black state)
http://www.oocities.org/thomas_hobbs2/brazil/bahianas.jpg

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-05-2013, 10:52 AM

OR IN , WHICH IS FAR MORE LIKELY SINCE YOU LIVE THERE. You must get many nosebleeds. -Tyr