PDA

View Full Version : Soldier who lost 4 limbs has double-arm transplant

jimnyc
01-28-2013, 08:04 PM
That's right, he lost all 4 of his limbs while fighting like his country asked him to do. I can't believe, that a member here, and I'm sure many others thinking alike, feel it's ok that someone like this guy would have his healthcare benefits cut. If congress gets a different set of rules pertaining to healthcare, surely our soldiers can receive that same 'benefit'. THIS is why they deserve the assured benefits, because they place their lives on the line, knowing something like this can happen to them. We should be able to give them the worlds best healthcare in return.

On Facebook, he describes himself as a "wounded warrior...very wounded."

Brendan Marrocco was the first soldier to survive losing all four limbs in the Iraq War, and doctors revealed Monday that he's received a double-arm transplant.

Those new arms "already move a little," he tweeted a month after the operation.

Marrocco, a 26-year-old New Yorker, was injured by a roadside bomb in 2009. He had the transplant Dec. 18 at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, his father said Monday.

Alex Marrocco said his son does not want to talk with reporters until a news conference Tuesday at the hospital, but the younger Marrocco has repeatedly mentioned the transplant on Twitter and posted photos.

"Ohh yeah today has been one month since my surgery and they already move a little," Brendan Marrocco tweeted Jan. 18.

Responding to a tweet from NASCAR driver Brad Keselowski, he wrote: "dude I can't tell you how exciting this is for me. I feel like I finally get to start over."

The infantryman also received bone marrow from the same dead donor who supplied his new arms. That novel approach is aimed at helping his body accept the new limbs with minimal medication to prevent rejection.

The military sponsors operations like these to help wounded troops. About 300 have lost arms or hands in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Unlike a life-saving heart or liver transplant, limb transplants are aimed at improving quality of life, not extending it. Quality of life is a key concern for people missing arms and hands — prosthetics for those limbs are not as advanced as those for feet and legs.

"He was the first quad amputee to survive," and there have been four others since then, Alex Marrocco said.

http://news.yahoo.com/soldier-lost-4-limbs-double-arm-transplant-171015152.html

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-28-2013, 08:18 PM
That's right, he lost all 4 of his limbs while fighting like his country asked him to do. I can't believe, that a member here, and I'm sure many others thinking alike, feel it's ok that someone like this guy would have his healthcare benefits cut. If congress gets a different set of rules pertaining to healthcare, surely our soldiers can receive that same 'benefit'. THIS is why they deserve the assured benefits, because they place their lives on the line, knowing something like this can happen to them. We should be able to give them the worlds best healthcare in return.

http://news.yahoo.com/soldier-lost-4-limbs-double-arm-transplant-171015152.html

HE SHOULD GET THE VERY BEST CARE IN THE WORLD!
I'd be happy to step into a boxing ring and fight any human alive that said no to that,any!--Tyr

jimnyc
01-28-2013, 08:27 PM
HE SHOULD GET THE VERY BEST CARE IN THE WORLD!
I'd be happy to step into a boxing ring and fight any human alive that said no to that,any!--Tyr

It blows my mind that he can be so positive thinking, and being on places like Twitter. He's a stronger man than I would be. That's a tough hombre to go through all of that and keeping up the good fight. I hope things keep getting better for him.

CSM
01-29-2013, 07:34 AM
Yep, that is why equating civilians who "contribute to society" to military members is just plain .... what's the word? .... oh yeah .... STUPID. I have no doubt it is done as a trolling tactic. While it is true that not all military members serve in combat, any individual member could find themselves in combat at any time. I doubt civilians face that probability.