PDA

View Full Version : I just got back from Jury Duty for a murder trial!

stephanie
05-29-2007, 03:31 PM
I was excused, because I have to be a witness in a theft trial next month, from my old job...

Was relieved...but yet, thought it might of been interesting to see how the system worked..

diuretic
05-29-2007, 03:38 PM
Me too, I know how our system works but it would have been good to hear a juror's experiences (general of course). But hey you still get to go to court stephanie - ever been cross-examined before? It's an interesting experience - every time.

Pale Rider
05-29-2007, 03:41 PM
I was excused, because I have to be a witness in a theft trial next month, from my old job...

Was relieved...but yet, thought it might of been interesting to see how the system worked..

I was only called to jury duty one time when I was in the Air Force stationed in Las Vegas. I got out of it because I was on mobility alert.

stephanie
05-29-2007, 03:44 PM
Me too, I know how our system works but it would have been good to hear a juror's experiences (general of course). But hey you still get to go to court Stephanie - ever been cross-examined before? It's an interesting experience - every time.

Never been in any court cases...
I was a little nervous just today.....I'll probably pee myself when I have to testify....Especially, since this case is against someone who still live's in our small town...

Listen to this....Here's how small our towns are out here..
The defendant in my case, was also there today....and she got excused too.......:coffee:

Mr. P
05-29-2007, 04:15 PM
Never been in any court cases...
I was a little nervous just today.....I'll probably pee myself when I have to testify....Especially, since this case is against someone who still live's in our small town...

Listen to this....Here's how small our towns are out here..
The defendant in my case, was also there today....and she got excused too.......:coffee:

Makes things a bit sticky.

glockmail
05-29-2007, 04:25 PM

So did the defendant look guilty or what? :laugh2:

stephanie
05-29-2007, 04:27 PM
Makes things a bit sticky.

It was weird...We passed each other quite a bit.

They set up a court room in a school theater room...
This was in the town next to us...about 27mls..
The kid, is from the town where we went for jury duty...
Pretty high profile case...

stephanie
05-29-2007, 04:30 PM
So did the defendant look guilty or what? :laugh2:

He looked scared...mean.....and guilty as hell..
Everybody knew about this case, heck, we were talking about it in the bar last week...:laugh2:

Pale Rider
05-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Everybody knew about this case, heck, we were talking about it in the bar last week...:laugh2:

He should know that the only thing you CAN do there is TELL THE TRUTH. You'd risk going to jail if you lied. He shouldn't expect anything less.

stephanie
05-29-2007, 05:02 PM
He should know that the only thing you CAN do there is TELL THE TRUTH. You'd risk going to jail if you lied. He shouldn't expect anything less.

The kid chose to have the trial in his home town, instead of asking for a change of venue.. So naturally, most everybody there, knew something about the case...

gabosaurus
05-29-2007, 05:11 PM
I am looking forward to being called to jury duty. I am curious about how the system works. My mom and dad have been down and they said it is alternately fascinating and boring.

nevadamedic
05-29-2007, 05:15 PM
The kid chose to have the trial in his home town, instead of asking for a change of venue.. So naturally, most everybody there, knew something about the case...

Kid? How old is he? What kind of murder? Was is premeditated? The kid was a idiot for having it in the same town if it is that small.

stephanie
05-29-2007, 05:36 PM
Kid? How old is he? What kind of murder? Was is premeditated? The kid was a idiot for having it in the same town if it is that small.

Not sure his age.....between 18-23 probably...That's still a kid to me....

Big bar fight out in a bar parking lot..A rival group from Fairbanks, and the kids from the town of Nenana, where the kid is from..

A bunch of knives came out, a couple of other people stabbed... from what I heard, this boy ran after someone who stabbed his friend, and stabbed and killed him..

Well, people were thinking he wants to have it in the town where a lot of people know him...

I'll let you know more, after the trial...
There were about 30 people from my town at jury duty...
So, there's a good chance someone from here could be picked...

05-29-2007, 05:55 PM
I got a law degree to avoid Jury duty in the future:p

Seriously though its really rather boring most of the time.

Kathianne
05-29-2007, 06:11 PM
I'd love to sit on any jury, but no doubt murder case would be most interesting.

Gaffer
05-29-2007, 06:13 PM
I got notified of jury duty a few years ago. A federal jury. had to be on the list for a month and call in every few days to see if I had to report. Having been a deputy sheriff for 8 and half years I guess they didn't want me on nay of the juries. Former cops are not popular with defense attorneys.

Been to a lot of trials and worked the court rooms many times as well.

Kathianne
05-29-2007, 06:34 PM
Well from what I've read so far, I by far and away had the most radical and humorous experience in jury duty.

I'd never been called for jury duty. Then a little less than 2 years after my divorce was granted, I was called up. By then I was teaching. I was excited, but realized that with my brother being deputy chief of police in major city in county and 3 lawyers, 3 civil charges, 2 judges that were personal friends that I had campaigned for, my chances of serving were zip.

Got the time off from school, called the morning of, they said, "Come in." Got to court about 8:30, watched videos on civic duty and jury duties. Read a book and 1/2 by 3. Then I was called, since I was 1 of 5 left, no surprise.

They started questioning. First strike-deafness, with hearing aids. They took that.

Then, "Any court dealings?" Had to raise hand and explain.

"Any convictions?" Had to explain.

"Family members that are involved with courts?" Had to explain.

"Any involvement in explaining US legal system?" Had to explain.

They were desperate to seat a jury. I had all these ties that would normally knock me out of jury pool, but there were no others.

So I was 'seated', barring something extraordinary.

Then they started with witnesses for defense. Then for plaintiff. Whoops, did I hear what I thought I heard? Annette *******? I raised my hand, and said, "Considering my hearing, I probably got this wrong, but I thought I heard the name Annette **********, is that right?"

"Yes." "Why?" That's the name of my ex's girlfriend. She's a *******. "Could it be the same?" Sidebar.

Judge, "We think it's the same, do you think you can be impartial, considering only the facts?" Me, "No." Lots of laughing, Judge, "You are dismissed."

Gaffer
05-29-2007, 06:43 PM
Well from what I've read so far, I by far and away had the most radical and humorous experience in jury duty.

I'd never been called for jury duty. Then a little less than 2 years after my divorce was granted, I was called up. By then I was teaching. I was excited, but realized that with my brother being deputy chief of police in major city in county and 3 lawyers, 3 civil charges, 2 judges that were personal friends that I had campaigned for, my chances of serving were zip.

Got the time off from school, called the morning of, they said, "Come in." Got to court about 8:30, watched videos on civic duty and jury duties. Read a book and 1/2 by 3. Then I was called, since I was 1 of 5 left, no surprise.

They started questioning. First strike-deafness, with hearing aids. They took that.

They were desperate to seat a jury. I had all these ties that would normally knock me out of jury pool, but there were no others.

Then they started with witnesses for defense. Then for plaintiff. Whoops, did I hear what I thought I heard? Annette *******? I raised my hand, and said, "Considering my hearing, I probably got this wrong, but I thought I heard the name Annette **********, is that right?"

"Yes." "Why?" That's the name of my ex's girlfriend. She's a *******. "Could it be the same?" Sidebar.

Judge, "We think it's the same, do you think you can be impartial, considering only the facts?" Me, "No." Lots of laughing, Judge, "You are dismissed."

Gotta spread the rep around. But that was funny.

Kathianne
05-29-2007, 06:47 PM
Gotta spread the rep around. But that was funny.

Actually, I laughed too! Here were 12 of us, I'd already spent over an hour explaining 'only the facts'. Problem was, my divorce took nearly 4 years, a psychiatrist, 2 psychologists, 3 social workers, 6 lawyers. Damn, it was funny.

Mr. P
05-29-2007, 07:21 PM
I got a law degree to avoid Jury duty in the future:p

Seriously though its really rather boring most of the time.

Good luck with that, I was married to a local attorney that is also a Judge, and I too my amazement, was selected.

glockmail
05-29-2007, 07:59 PM
The way I look at it he wouldn't be there if he wasn't guilty. I always plan on asking the judge if I'm called to the jury pool: Is that the guilty guy over there? :laugh2:

nevadamedic
05-29-2007, 08:06 PM
Not sure his age.....between 18-23 probably...That's still a kid to me....

Big bar fight out in a bar parking lot..A rival group from Fairbanks, and the kids from the town of Nenana, where the kid is from..

A bunch of knives came out, a couple of other people stabbed... from what I heard, this boy ran after someone who stabbed his friend, and stabbed and killed him..

Well, people were thinking he wants to have it in the town where a lot of people know him...

I'll let you know more, after the trial...
There were about 30 people from my town at jury duty...
So, there's a good chance someone from here could be picked...

Thats really worth spending the rest of your life in jail for.

nevadamedic
05-29-2007, 09:46 PM

I guess your life is never dull :laugh2:

Kathianne
05-29-2007, 10:04 PM
I guess your life is never dull :laugh2:

I'm looking forward to dull and alone! LOL!

nevadamedic
07-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Actually, I laughed too! Here were 12 of us, I'd already spent over an hour explaining 'only the facts'. Problem was, my divorce took nearly 4 years, a psychiatrist, 2 psychologists, 3 social workers, 6 lawyers. Damn, it was funny.

Wow that's a lot.