PDA

View Full Version : Discussion with my uncle

jimnyc
01-30-2013, 01:19 PM
I had a brief discussion with him last evening, about tax increases. He admitted that he has less in his paycheck since the beginning of the year. I thought he would give me some lines about how we all need to contribute a little more and that other crap. But he isn't happy with the less money coming home, and blames it 100% on Republicans! WTF? He outright said that if it weren't for the Republicans, the tax issue never would have happened. Really?

Oh, and then with a straight poker face - he told me that Obama is perhaps the best president this country has ever had.

CSM
01-30-2013, 01:24 PM
I had a brief discussion with him last evening, about tax increases. He admitted that he has less in his paycheck since the beginning of the year. I thought he would give me some lines about how we all need to contribute a little more and that other crap. But he isn't happy with the less money coming home, and blames it 100% on Republicans! WTF? He outright said that if it weren't for the Republicans, the tax issue never would have happened. Really?

Oh, and then with a straight poker face - he told me that Obama is perhaps the best president this country has ever had.

When was the last time he was checked for Alzheimers or dementia ... seriously.

jimnyc
01-30-2013, 01:28 PM
When was the last time he was checked for Alzheimers or dementia ... seriously.

I immediately asked him about the tax cuts that were set to expire - who wanted to sign off on them again and what happened in congress regarding these expiring cuts. That's when he raised his voice about the Republicans and how they suck.

Being that it's my wife's uncle, I kind of changed the subject after that, so as not to raise any harsh feelings. But man, he got angry and awfully defensive, and awfully quick.

The least he could do is admit that the Democrats, and Obama, want to spend and increase taxes, as that's what they think is the cure for our country. But he wants to blame the tax increases and spending on the Republicans too!

CSM
01-30-2013, 01:38 PM
I immediately asked him about the tax cuts that were set to expire - who wanted to sign off on them again and what happened in congress regarding these expiring cuts. That's when he raised his voice about the Republicans and how they suck.

Being that it's my wife's uncle, I kind of changed the subject after that, so as not to raise any harsh feelings. But man, he got angry and awfully defensive, and awfully quick.

The least he could do is admit that the Democrats, and Obama, want to spend and increase taxes, as that's what they think is the cure for our country. But he wants to blame the tax increases and spending on the Republicans too!

Sometimes, when reality strikes, it makes for a very hard pill to swallow. I suspect there will be more than one Dem/lib who will be in denial when looking at their income.

Marcus Aurelius
01-30-2013, 01:39 PM

At the risk of being banned from the site... when was the last time your uncle had a psychiatric evaluation?

jimnyc
01-30-2013, 01:44 PM
At the risk of being banned from the site... when was the last time your uncle had a psychiatric evaluation?

He's on the wife's side, so we're cool! LOL

The thing is, he's VERY intelligent and VERY successful. But he's a liberal, and for whatever reason, truly believes the tripe he spouts sometimes. I don't mind debating/discussing opposing arguments and such, but I hate when someone has the facts wrong and argues those facts anyway.

Abbey Marie
01-30-2013, 02:15 PM

Sounds so familiar. In my family, too, when a political discussion ensues, I often find the liberal gets emotionally overwrought, and the conservative has to just stop to keep the peace.

tailfins
01-30-2013, 02:16 PM

I don't understand why someone gets angry over a political opinion unless they are cashing in on a political favor. I do have to ask: Which Democrat policy is buttering his bread?

aboutime
01-30-2013, 02:28 PM

JIM. So, how long has your uncle been a member of the NAACP, or the NEW BLACK PANTHERS? :laugh2: JUST LOL....nothing more.

WTF? Is right!

jimnyc
01-30-2013, 02:39 PM
I don't understand why someone gets angry over a political opinion unless they are cashing in on a political favor. I do have to ask: Which Democrat policy is buttering his bread?

And it wasn't even me! I mentioned a stance that my wife has, that she had mentioned to my son, and after telling him of it, that is when he got louder. I think it hurts most when someone is pointing out the facts to you and you need to swallow them. Some do so gracefully, some fight to the end.

jimnyc
01-30-2013, 02:40 PM
JIM. So, how long has your uncle been a member of the NAACP, or the NEW BLACK PANTHERS? :laugh2: JUST LOL....nothing more.

WTF? Is right!

He's an IT geek for a long, long time. Has a Euro slant about him. Doesn't like American sports, only English and Italian soccer. Visits the London area and Italy like 2x yearly each. He's just a far, far, far left tree hugging till it bleeds liberal.

fj1200
01-30-2013, 02:44 PM
He's just a far, far, far left tree hugging till it bleeds liberal.

Then why is he complaining about a tax that is directly tied to the health of Social Security. It should be like Xanadu to him.

ConHog
01-30-2013, 02:55 PM

you talk politics with your extended family? You got the dumb son lol

I got an insane aunt and uncle who vote for any and every Republican politician or policy based on one thing. "Them democrats wanna take my guns" lol and I'm not talking about just recently, I'm talking about from as way back as far as I can remember.

They haven't even ever voted for me for school board simply b/c I run as an Independent. LOL as if a school member has a damn thing to do with getting their guns even if I wanted to.

LOL We don't talk politics at all. Learned that lesson.

Abbey Marie
01-30-2013, 03:03 PM
you talk politics with your extended family? You got the dumb son lol

I got an insane aunt and uncle who vote for any and every Republican politician or policy based on one thing. "Them democrats wanna take my guns" lol and I'm not talking about just recently, I'm talking about from as way back as far as I can remember.

They haven't even ever voted for me for school board simply b/c I run as an Independent. LOL as if a school member has a damn thing to do with getting their guns even if I wanted to.

LOL We don't talk politics at all. Learned that lesson.

Well, it looks like your "insane" relatives were right after all. :laugh2:

aboutime
01-30-2013, 03:06 PM
He's an IT geek for a long, long time. Has a Euro slant about him. Doesn't like American sports, only English and Italian soccer. Visits the London area and Italy like 2x yearly each. He's just a far, far, far left tree hugging till it bleeds liberal.

Gotcha! No further explanation needed. Don't know whether to feel sorry for you, or laugh with you.

ConHog
01-30-2013, 03:08 PM
Well, it looks like your "insane" relatives were right after all. :laugh2:

Nah, a few nuts want to take our guns. Most just want a little more control then what we want. These fools literally cling to the belief that one day a Dem is finally gonna have the balls to go door to door trying to collect guns.

Kathianne
01-30-2013, 05:22 PM

I'll bet he's related to Obama's mother's family! Really!