PDA

View Full Version : MyTo Do List

red states rule
01-30-2013, 06:28 PM
It came to my attention that a member (who will remain nameless) supposedly came to my defense over my alleged alcohol problem. Those of you who know me are aware I do do not like the taste of alcohol or the sinking feeling I experience if I drink it. The last time I had a drink was on New years Eve 1995 and I spit the crap out when my date was not looking.

However I do have some health issues I need to take care of immediately. I went to see a Doctor yesterday (it was my first visit) and my BP was 174/115. Also,the Dr did a EKG and he suspects I may have had a mild (and slight) heart attack

Saturday I will have blood work done and I go to a cardiologist next Friday. I spent alot of time on the phone with a close friend and have a shopping list for healthy foods and cooking tips to expand my variety of foods

As I consider most of you members of my extended family I wanted to share this and ask for your thought, prayers, and support. Like the cancer I will beat this - and with the help of my Dr (who has a great bedside manner) I will accomplish the goals I know I have to attain.

All in all, life is good and I will make it damn better

Abbey Marie
01-30-2013, 06:42 PM
I'm sorry to hear that, t. But you have a great attitude, and I kow you will take care of yourself.
Prayers for a good visit!

red states rule
01-30-2013, 06:45 PM
I'm sorry to hear that, t. But you have a great attitude, and I kow you will take care of yourself.
Prayers for a good visit!

I will endure Abbey. You have known me for years and you know what a stubborn guy I can be. It will take time but I will accomplish everything on my to do list. Thanks for your support!!!!

aboutime
01-30-2013, 06:46 PM
It came to my attention that a member (who will remain nameless) supposedly came to my defense over my alleged alcohol problem. Those of you who know me are aware I do do not like the taste of alcohol or the sinking feeling I experience if I drink it. The last time I had a drink was on New years Eve 1995 and I spit the crap out when my date was not looking.

However I do have some health issues I need to take care of immediately. I went to see a Doctor yesterday (it was my first visit) and my BP was 174/115. Also,the Dr did a EKG and he suspects I may have had a mild (and slight) heart attack

Saturday I will have blood work done and I go to a cardiologist next Friday. I spent alot of time on the phone with a close friend and have a shopping list for healthy foods and cooking tips to expand my variety of foods

As I consider most of you members of my extended family I wanted to share this and ask for your thought, prayers, and support. Like the cancer I will beat this - and with the help of my Dr (who has a great bedside manner) I will accomplish the goals I know I have to attain.

You know where I stand. Without Question.
Do us all a favor and FOLLOW YOUR DOC'S INSTRUCTIONS.
Hopefully you won't have to go through what I experienced IF....YOU ARE HONEST WITH YOURSELF FIRST.
Quadruple Bypass, and the Cancer PITA for me showed me. I, Like You. Have too many things LEFT ON THAT TO-DO LIST.
God Bless. Think Positive. You can do it. The Prayers are...without question. In Your Behalf.

Kathianne
01-30-2013, 06:47 PM
RSR, as a 'close friend' with a worn out ear, I've got another recipe. ;)

http://www.food.com/recipe/uncle-bills-microwave-potato-chips-47195

I've made these for company, really! Big hit. Easy, peasy. Don't let all the #'s fool you, those are mostly about choice of seasonings!

Uncle Bill's Microwave Potato Chips

Ingredients

4 large potatoes ( russet, yellow gold, white or red potatoes)
your choice spices ( granulated garlic powder, seasoning salt, cayenne pepper, dried dill weed, granulated garlic powder)
vegetable oil, for microwave bacon tray

Directions

If potatoes are old, peel and slice thin, less than 1/16" in thickness (paper thin), slicing across the potato.
If the potatoes are new or good skins, DO NOT PEEL, just scrub well, then slice them less than 1/16" in thickness (paper thin), slicing across the potato.
Place potato slices in a bowl, sprinkle with some salt (if desired) cover with cold water and let sit for 10 minutes.
Remove potato slices in batches onto paper toweling and pat dry.
If you have a microwave bacon tray, rub the tray with a vegetable oil, then place the sliced potatoes flat on the tray in a single layer.
Sprinkle with your choice of herbs or spices or just leave them plain.
Cover with a microwaveable, round heavy plastic cover.
Microwave on HIGH (full power) for 5 to 5 1/2 minutes or until they curl slightly and are a very light brown in color.
Cooking time could vary slightly, depending on the wattage of your microwave and the thickness of the slices. The thinner the slices, the quicker they cook and the tastier they are.
You do not have to turn the sliced potatoes over.
If you do not have a bacon tray, use a microwave safe casserole dish.
Rub the inside of the dish with some olive oil for the first batch of potato chips.
I do not know why, but I find that if you do not rub oil the first time, some chips will tend to stick to the dish.

After the first batch is done, you do not have to rub the dish again.
Continue to microwave the remainder of sliced potatoes as noted above.
If using a bacon tray, after the first batch is cooked, you can reduce the microwaving time to 4 1/2 minutes and even less as you continue to microwave each batch.
NOTE: You can also use PARCHMENT PAPER to microwave the potato slices. Lightly spray or rub the parchment paper with some vegetable oil or a Pam spray. Place your potato slices on the parchment paper, then sprinkle them with whatever you like and then place another piece of parchment paper on top. This will help microwave the potatoes more evenly and they should turn out nice and crisp. Microwaving time should be between 5 and 6 minutes.
ADDITIONAL IDEAS, suggested by Deb K:.
Granulated garlic powder with parsley.
Cracked black pepper, grated parmesan and sea salt sprinkled after removing from microwave.
Another, after removing chips from microwave, sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese, zap for a few seconds to melt the cheese, then add a dab of sour cream.
A great dip is Robert Rothschild Farm Dips:.
Emerald Isle Onion Dill and Horseradish Dip.

Nutrition Facts Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
<dl><dt>Amount Per Serving</dt><dd>% Daily Value</dd><dt class="cals nutrition">Calories 284.1</dt><dd class="cals"> </dd><dt class="fat-cals nutrition">Calories from Fat 2</dt><dd class="fat-cals">45%</dd></dl>
<dl><dt>Amount Per Serving</dt><dd>% Daily Value</dd><dt class="nutrition">Total Fat 0.3g</dt><dd>0%</dd><dt class="sub nutrition">Saturated Fat 0.1g</dt><dd class="sub">0%</dd><dt class="nutrition">Cholesterol 0.0mg</dt><dd>0%</dd><dt class="sub nutrition">Sugars 2.8 g</dt><dt class="nutrition">Sodium 22.1mg</dt><dd>0%</dd><dt class="nutrition">Total Carbohydrate 64.4g</dt><dd>21%</dd><dt class="sub nutrition">Dietary Fiber 8.1g</dt><dd class="sub">32%</dd><dt class="sub nutrition">Sugars 2.8 g</dt><dd class="sub">11%</dd><dt class="last nutrition">Protein 7.4g</dt><dd class="last">14%
</dd></dl>

Now it's not the best regarding total fat, but note that saturated fat and cholesterol are near 0. Sodium is 0. RSR is a big guy, going to need some snacks!

red states rule
01-30-2013, 06:48 PM
You know where I stand. Without Question.
Do us all a favor and FOLLOW YOUR DOC'S INSTRUCTIONS.
Hopefully you won't have to go through what I experienced IF....YOU ARE HONEST WITH YOURSELF FIRST.
Quadruple Bypass, and the Cancer PITA for me showed me. I, Like You. Have too many things LEFT ON THAT TO-DO LIST.
God Bless. Think Positive. You can do it. The Prayers are...without question. In Your Behalf.

AT following the Doctors instructions is at the top of the list. My hat is off to you for all you have beaten. I will win this fight and add YEARS to my good life. Thanks pal

tailfins
01-30-2013, 06:49 PM

I defended you. Someone said you liked toasted turds and I told them you don't like toast.

red states rule
01-30-2013, 06:49 PM
RSR, as a 'close friend' with a worn out ear, I've got another recipe. ;)

http://www.food.com/recipe/uncle-bills-microwave-potato-chips-47195

I've made these for company, really! Big hit. Easy, peasy. Don't let all the #'s fool you, those are mostly about choice of seasonings!

Now it's not the best regarding total fat, but note that saturated fat and cholesterol are near 0. Sodium is 0. RSR is a big guy, going to need some snacks!

Thank you sweetheart. You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Kathianne again.

Kathianne
01-30-2013, 06:51 PM
Thank you sweetheart. You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Kathianne again.

Glad to be there to support, now you've got to buy a set of measuring cups and a knife! I keed, I keed! Got to start cooking, my dear! Will make all the difference. But no more soup, (recipes), for you! Until you want to get started! ;)

red states rule
01-30-2013, 06:52 PM
Glad to be there to support, now you've got to buy a set of measuring cups and a knife! I keed, I keed! Got to start cooking, my dear! Will make all the difference. But no more soup, (recipes), for you! Until you want to get started! ;)

Already have them Kat. they go well with my bulging shopping list :laugh2:

ConHog
01-30-2013, 09:26 PM

Rsr my family will pray for you. Thats for real. God bless

Robert A Whit
01-30-2013, 09:51 PM

I expect you will get top care.

But given that, I too had some life threatening experiences.

I never had any heart attack.

What I did find out i have is type 2 diabetes. Once I got on Medicare, I got a primary doctor. HE gave me a number of tests and had full lab work up of my blood.

He put me on pills to bring Type 2 under control. He told me to walk at least 2 miles per day but work up to it.

He noticed high blood pressure. He put me on medicine to take care of that.

Anyway, I told him one day that when I walked, I had times where it felt as if some chill was going on when I took a breath after walking maybe 1.5 miles.

He instantly had me at the Cardiologist.

That was what saved my life.

Said Cardiologist has to be top ranked. He really is an awesome doctor.

He had me on a walking machine and I was hooked up to all kinds of monitors.

They did a before and after ultra sound to examine my heart. They saw a strange patter.

In a day or so, I was in the hospital having an angio gram.

That proved I had an almost closed Artery to the left side of my heart. That was the only problem.

I went to the hospital and the Surgeon took a blood vessel in my left chest and rerouted it to my heart. No leg vessels were needed.

I was told that the surgeon was the best heart surgeon in this area. He seemed to be.

This is a serious operation. I was in the hospital for a week.

Oh, when my doctor found out I had Type 2 diabetes, he had me go to a meeting with a dietician who spent about an hour and gave me a lot of information. I also went to another professional that gave me what I needed to know about type 2 diabetes.

After the heart surgery, the hospital had professionals come to deal with watching over me for about a month.

The guy who was in charge of rehabilitation gave me specific exercises.

It took time but by something like 30 days I felt more like walking but had tried to walk some every day.

Walk. If you have diabetes, get it handled. Be in charge of what happens to you.

Well, done. Best to you and hope it works out.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-30-2013, 11:32 PM

My friend, this coming march will be two years since I had my heart attack.
Trust me do what the docs say, take your meds, eat right, exercise and live life to its fullest.
Sorry to hear about your troubles but I've been there ,done that. It seems like the world is crashing but after you see the light it gets much better. Takes a bit of time but hey Im about 95% of my former self now.
Do yourself a favor and do as the docs instruct you to do. My recovery was quite rapid. -Tyr

red states rule
01-31-2013, 04:52 AM
I expect you will get top care.

But given that, I too had some life threatening experiences.

I never had any heart attack.

What I did find out i have is type 2 diabetes. Once I got on Medicare, I got a primary doctor. HE gave me a number of tests and had full lab work up of my blood.

He put me on pills to bring Type 2 under control. He told me to walk at least 2 miles per day but work up to it.

He noticed high blood pressure. He put me on medicine to take care of that.

Anyway, I told him one day that when I walked, I had times where it felt as if some chill was going on when I took a breath after walking maybe 1.5 miles.

He instantly had me at the Cardiologist.

That was what saved my life.

Said Cardiologist has to be top ranked. He really is an awesome doctor.

He had me on a walking machine and I was hooked up to all kinds of monitors.

They did a before and after ultra sound to examine my heart. They saw a strange patter.

In a day or so, I was in the hospital having an angio gram.

That proved I had an almost closed Artery to the left side of my heart. That was the only problem.

I went to the hospital and the Surgeon took a blood vessel in my left chest and rerouted it to my heart. No leg vessels were needed.

I was told that the surgeon was the best heart surgeon in this area. He seemed to be.

This is a serious operation. I was in the hospital for a week.

Oh, when my doctor found out I had Type 2 diabetes, he had me go to a meeting with a dietician who spent about an hour and gave me a lot of information. I also went to another professional that gave me what I needed to know about type 2 diabetes.

After the heart surgery, the hospital had professionals come to deal with watching over me for about a month.

The guy who was in charge of rehabilitation gave me specific exercises.

It took time but by something like 30 days I felt more like walking but had tried to walk some every day.

Walk. If you have diabetes, get it handled. Be in charge of what happens to you.

Well, done. Best to you and hope it works out.

Keep up the fight Robert. God bless you

red states rule
01-31-2013, 04:56 AM
My friend, this coming march will be two years since I had my heart attack.
Trust me do what the docs say, take your meds, eat right, exercise and live life to its fullest.
Sorry to hear about your troubles but I've been there ,done that. It seems like the world is crashing but after you see the light it gets much better. Takes a bit of time but hey Im about 95% of my former self now.
Do yourself a favor and do as the docs instruct you to do. My recovery was quite rapid. -Tyr

All those instructions have been acknowledged Tyr. Thanks!!!!

I have a long shopping list when I go to the grocery store this weekend. My pantry will see a huge change in the contents and I need to break the bad habits I have as far as what I eat.

But it will happen

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-31-2013, 09:02 AM
All those instructions have been acknowledged Tyr. Thanks!!!!

I have a long shopping list when I go to the grocery store this weekend. My pantry will see a huge change in the contents and I need to break the bad habits I have as far as what I eat.

But it will happen

Very glad to read that you are of the right mind to aid in your recovery.
You will see a big change for the better when you follow the advice of the doc and the nutritionist.-Tyr

Robert A Whit
01-31-2013, 12:07 PM
We spent a lifetime getting into some bad habits. We can claim it was genetics that got to us.

Diet. Very hard to turn on a dime and change habits. It takes a super forceful person to simply get rid of some foods you have loved all your life.

I had heart surgery two years ago (in a ffew days) and to this day love foods that are not the best food for my body. I don't know if you face surgery. At some point in our lives, it seems to be a person's fate. I don't fear surgery but an annoyed by it. I once feared surgery since it was unknown to me.

I think if you must eat some food, try to get into the habit of walking. More exercise as well. Try to stick to at least that. I feel different over time by walking. I am now out of the habit. I am restarting the program today just to let you know that once one starts to feel better, it is easy to simply say, "I don't need to walk daily." It is easy to get back out of that habit. I got up to walking 4 miles per day and here I sit on my butt doing this forum when I ought to be out walking. And I am saying we all are weaker in changing habits than we suppose. We may walk for 4 months then get the idea that we can skip today. Then we skip tomorrow and the following days. Suddenly we just don't walk.

My doctors told me that of all exercises one can do, at least walk. It is good for the body. Good for the heart for sure, but if you watch diet, the pounds come off too. And when you quit walking, the pounds go back on.

Anyway, I am no expert but having done this, at least I may offer such tips as I have offered. We each are totally in charge of our diets and exercise. Maybe putting up goals on our refrigerators will be worthwhile. Come to think of it, I shall do that today myself. I will do that experiment.

A will to heal helps a lot too.

jimnyc
01-31-2013, 01:54 PM

I'm sorry, Terry, with all of the stuff going on I somehow missed this thread. Get better!!! A good diet will work wonders. I'm still a dirtbag, and have my share of junk food - but eating better most of the time has made a WORLD of difference. Then on the times when I do eat junk food, it makes me feel like crap.

Anyway, we're all on your side. Keep us updated!

red states rule
01-31-2013, 04:23 PM
I'm sorry, Terry, with all of the stuff going on I somehow missed this thread. Get better!!! A good diet will work wonders. I'm still a dirtbag, and have my share of junk food - but eating better most of the time has made a WORLD of difference. Then on the times when I do eat junk food, it makes me feel like crap.

Anyway, we're all on your side. Keep us updated!

Jim you have NOTHING to apologize for. I know you and the rest of the staff have had your hands full. (You will note I am no longer participating in the "fighting" as the main instigator is no longer worth my time or effort)

Right now I much more important things to take care of. The community now will be part of my relaxation as I go thru all the changes I need to make.

I know at one time we had our differences but that is water under the bridge. I consider you a friend and someone I can always turn to for advice

So as they say in NY "forgetaboutit"

red states rule
02-02-2013, 11:29 AM
After a 12 hour work day yesterday - I got up early and went to the lab to get my blood work and other tests done. I am glad I got there 10 minutes before they opened because when I left the waiting room was packed. Afterwards I went to Wal Mart and did my weekly grocery shopping. Yes Kat I bypassed the Stouffers frozen food aisle and I picked up all the new things you suggested. My fridge and freezer has many new items and the high sodium Stouffers is almost completely gone. I have some housework to get done and them I will CRASH!!!! Thanks to everyone and have a great day!!!!!!

red states rule
02-08-2013, 01:42 PM
Saw the cardiologist today and he said the heart looks good. The blood pumps well and the valves open/close just fine

After a week on some powerful BP meds my BP remains high. Today it was 170/125

So now I have a new Rx for stronger BP meds and I have to take a nuclear stress test next week (yippee)

Also my cholesterol was 50 points to high. So once they get the BP under control then they will put me on meds to lower that

So how was your day?

Kathianne
02-09-2013, 02:40 AM
Saw the cardiologist today and he said the heart looks good. The blood pumps well and the valves open/close just fine

After a week on some powerful BP meds my BP remains high. Today it was 170/125

So now I have a new Rx for stronger BP meds and I have to take a nuclear stress test next week (yippee)

Also my cholesterol was 50 points to high. So once they get the BP under control then they will put me on meds to lower that

So how was your day?

Oatmeal and walking. Watch fats and sodium. Walk some more.

red states rule
02-09-2013, 05:56 AM
Oatmeal and walking. Watch fats and sodium. Walk some more.

Doing everything but the oatmeal Kat - but give me a little more time. My diet has taken massive overnight changes

I went to Wal Mart this morning on my weekly grocery trip and NO FROZEN FOOD was purchased. So I am making progress

But the #1 issue is getting the BP lowered. The stress test is in 6 days (yippee)

red states rule
02-16-2013, 09:59 AM
Yesterday I completed the first half of the stress test - did OK. Completed the treadmill portion and the BP remains high despite the meds. I started out at about 175/115 and ended up at 180/ 100

During the treadmill portion of the test I told the Dr to sell when the BP hit 200

I then laid on a very narrow and uncomfortable table as pictures were taken for about 20 minutes.

I am very tired and will just crash for the rest of the day.

This Friday I will finish up the test and hopefully the BP meds will kick in and lower the high numbers

SassyLady
02-20-2013, 06:30 PM
RSR .. I don't know if you shop at Costco, but they have Quaker Oatmeal granola (mixture of oats, honey, almonds, raisins). You can eat as granola, add milk and eat as cold cereal or you can heat up in microwave and let sit for a moment and it will be hot oatmeal. No need to add sugar or anything, unless you want a little bit of cinnamon. I also have a cholesterol problem and my nutritionist said this was great. I also have it for a late night snack.

Kathianne
02-20-2013, 06:45 PM
RSR .. I don't know if you shop at Costco, but they have Quaker Oatmeal granola (mixture of oats, honey, almonds, raisins). You can eat as granola, add milk and eat as cold cereal or you can heat up in microwave and let sit for a moment and it will be hot oatmeal. No need to add sugar or anything, unless you want a little bit of cinnamon. I also have a cholesterol problem and my nutritionist said this was great. I also have it for a late night snack.

Granola is great for many of the 'heart healthy reasons', but also bad in fats. Oatmeal with high anti-oxidant fruits: blueberries, cranberries, bananas, etc., is a better choice. A touch of brown sugar, voila!

SassyLady
02-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Granola is great for many of the 'heart healthy reasons', but also bad in fats. Oatmeal with high anti-oxidant fruits: blueberries, cranberries, bananas, etc., is a better choice. A touch of brown sugar, voila!

This has .5g fat per 1/2 cup and then, of course, whatever fat is added with the milk. I thought that was pretty good.

Robert A Whit
02-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Yesterday I completed the first half of the stress test - did OK. Completed the treadmill portion and the BP remains high despite the meds. I started out at about 175/115 and ended up at 180/ 100

During the treadmill portion of the test I told the Dr to sell when the BP hit 200

I then laid on a very narrow and uncomfortable table as pictures were taken for about 20 minutes.

I am very tired and will just crash for the rest of the day.

This Friday I will finish up the test and hopefully the BP meds will kick in and lower the high numbers

Both doctors took BP and both said it was about 117/70.
My problem is that my A1C reading shot up to over 7. Doctors told me to walk, walk and walk. I shot up in weight sitting on my butt on this forum.

You guys are awesome so I plan to blame my weight gain all on you guys. LMAO

Also, my Thyroid reading is too high and they doubled my meds to cut that back down.

Robert A Whit
02-20-2013, 07:16 PM
After a 12 hour work day yesterday - I got up early and went to the lab to get my blood work and other tests done. I am glad I got there 10 minutes before they opened because when I left the waiting room was packed. Afterwards I went to Wal Mart and did my weekly grocery shopping. Yes Kat I bypassed the Stouffers frozen food aisle and I picked up all the new things you suggested. My fridge and freezer has many new items and the high sodium Stouffers is almost completely gone. I have some housework to get done and them I will CRASH!!!! Thanks to everyone and have a great day!!!!!!

I get Quest lab papers from both of my doctors. I an book an appointment online. We have two Quest labs very close to me. My doctors asked me to get the blood work done about 10 days ahead of the appointment with them. I also schedule both doctors for the same day about one hr apart. Works out fine. Waiting time at my primary doctor is nada. I did wait the other day at my cardiologist for about one hour in all. First time that office has been so late. Usually the waits are not over 15 minutes. Sometimes no wait at all.

So, check to see if Quest is close to you then if they are, have the doctor use them.

red states rule
02-21-2013, 05:20 AM
This has .5g fat per 1/2 cup and then, of course, whatever fat is added with the milk. I thought that was pretty good.

Thanks SL. So far th BP meds are not doing so well. I picked up a home BP monitor at I still in the 175/115 range

I have given up soft drinks and switched over to ice tea, ice water, and Slim Fast

Also I eat a lot more salads and I can't tell you the last time I ate one of my frozen food dinners I have in the freezer

Tomorrow I go for the last part of the stress test and I will see what the doctor has to say

Voted4Reagan
02-21-2013, 11:46 AM
Thanks SL. So far th BP meds are not doing so well. I picked up a home BP monitor at I still in the 175/115 range

I have given up soft drinks and switched over to ice tea, ice water, and Slim Fast

Also I eat a lot more salads and I can't tell you the last time I ate one of my frozen food dinners I have in the freezer

Tomorrow I go for the last part of the stress test and I will see what the doctor has to say

If you stop reading Liberal WANK-FODDER your pressure should go down to near normal levels...

just saying...

:happy0203::happy0203::happy0203:

SassyLady
02-22-2013, 11:39 PM
If you stop reading Liberal WANK-FODDER your pressure should go down to near normal levels...

just saying...

:happy0203::happy0203::happy0203:

So true!!

Kathianne
02-23-2013, 12:45 AM
So true!!

Might be true of someone that is 5'11", 175lbs, exercises regularly, and mostly eats healthy. They might over stress on genetics and all the media hype on 'what's good for you and not.'

Not RSR, he has to make some lifestyle changes or he's not going to be feeling too good. Actually he's not feeling great now. However, he is trying and I want to support him.

His mightiest obstacle is his lack of desire to cook and/or learn to. Thus he's been at the mercy of frozen foods or restaurants. He really loved his Stouffers and soda. He's done a good job on the beverages, but he's trying to figure out how to replace Salisbury Steak with salads. On the face of it that is a smart move, but not when it's basically iceberg lettuce, deli meats and cheeses. Low fat dressing isn't going to help that sodium count by much, nor is it getting nutrient dense foods into his diet.

He has met and not gagged on low fat yogurt, which comes in chocolate now. LOL! More power to him, if that replaces some ice cream, a good move!

How does one help a 50 year old man, learn to introduce vegetables into their diet? I mean he doesn't like carrots! He agrees though that shredded, one barely notices them.

Right now his concern is getting his blood pressure to just 'high,' not cataclysmic. He can't really exercise with the BP being in that danger zone; although I did ask him to question the doctor about walking five minutes and monitoring the BP/heart rate.

Yesterday we spoke about perhaps getting 3 meals a day delivered, by one of those companies that do the calorie and nutrition counts to stay where you need to be. I'm thinking that my frugal friend might find an incentive to cook after a month or so of these pricey deals?

Anyone got better suggestions?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-23-2013, 12:50 AM

Iced tea is a no-no unless it is caffeine free. caffeine raises blood pressure Hoss. Also you should be cutting back on your liquid intake. Water raises blood pressure . Got that from my doctor when switching my blood pressure meds. He worried the new meds may drop my BP TOO LOW AT NIGHT WHILE I SLEEP. I asked what to do if it got too low , he said, start drinking water it'll raise it up.-Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-23-2013, 12:53 AM
Might be true of someone that is 5'11", 175lbs, exercises regularly, and mostly eats healthy. They might over stress on genetics and all the media hype on 'what's good for you and not.'

Not RSR, he has to make some lifestyle changes or he's not going to be feeling too good. Actually he's not feeling great now. However, he is trying and I want to support him.

His mightiest obstacle is his lack of desire to cook and/or learn to. Thus he's been at the mercy of frozen foods or restaurants. He really loved his Stouffers and soda. He's done a good job on the beverages, but he's trying to figure out how to replace Salisbury Steak with salads. On the face of it that is a smart move, but not when it's basically iceberg lettuce, deli meats and cheeses. Low fat dressing isn't going to help that sodium count by much, nor is it getting nutrient dense foods into his diet.

He has met and not gagged on low fat yogurt, which comes in chocolate now. LOL! More power to him, if that replaces some ice cream, a good move!

How does one help a 50 year old man, learn to introduce vegetables into their diet? I mean he doesn't like carrots! He agrees though that shredded, one barely notices them.

Right now his concern is getting his blood pressure to just 'high,' not cataclysmic. He can't really exercise with the BP being in that danger zone; although I did ask him to question the doctor about walking five minutes and monitoring the BP/heart rate.

Yesterday we spoke about perhaps getting 3 meals a day delivered, by one of those companies that do the calorie and nutrition counts to stay where you need to be. I'm thinking that my frugal friend might find an incentive to cook after a month or so of these pricey deals?

Anyone got better suggestions?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dash-diet/HI00047

By Mayo Clinic staff (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/AboutThisSite/AM00057)DASH stands for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension. The DASH diet is a lifelong approach to healthy eating that's designed to help treat or prevent high blood pressure (hypertension). The DASH diet encourages you to reduce the sodium in your diet and eat a variety of foods rich in nutrients that help lower blood pressure, such as potassium, calcium and magnesium.
By following the DASH diet, you may be able to reduce your blood pressure by a few points in just two weeks. Over time, your blood pressure could drop by eight to 14 points, which can make a significant difference in your health risks.
Because the DASH diet is a healthy way of eating, it offers health benefits besides just lowering blood pressure. The DASH diet may offer protection against osteoporosis, cancer, heart disease, stroke and diabetes. And while the DASH diet is not a weight-loss program, you may indeed lose unwanted pounds because it can help guide you toward healthier meals and snacks.
DASH diet: Sodium levelsA key goal of the DASH diet is reducing how much sodium you eat, since sodium can dramatically increase blood pressure in people who are sensitive to its effects. In addition to the standard DASH diet, there is also a lower sodium version of the diet. You can choose the version of the diet that meets your health needs:

Standard DASH diet. You can consume up to 2,300 milligrams (mg) of sodium a day.
Lower sodium DASH diet. You can consume up to 1,500 mg of sodium a day.

Both versions of the DASH diet aim to reduce the amount of sodium in your diet compared with what you might get in a more traditional diet, which can amount to a whopping 3,500 mg of sodium a day or more. That level is far beyond the recommendation of the 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans of a maximum of 2,300 mg of sodium a day

Kathianne
02-23-2013, 01:07 AM
I just found this link in some of my own notes on blood pressure:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-blood-pressure/HI00027

1. Lose extra pounds and watch your waistline...

Men are at risk if their waist measurement is greater than 40 inches (102 centimeters, or cm).
Women are at risk if their waist measurement is greater than 35 inches (89 cm)...

2. Exercise regularly
Regular physical activity — at least 30 to 60 minutes most days of the week — can lower your blood pressure by 4 to 9 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg). And it doesn't take long to see a difference. If you haven't been active, increasing your exercise level can lower your blood pressure within just a few weeks...

Talk to your doctor about developing an exercise program. Your doctor can help determine whether you need any exercise restrictions. Even moderate activity for 10 minutes at a time, such as walking and light strength training, can help.

But avoid being a "weekend warrior." Trying to squeeze all your exercise in on the weekends to make up for weekday inactivity isn't a good strategy. Those sudden bursts of activity could actually be risky.

3. Eat a healthy diet Eating a diet that is rich in whole grains, fruits, vegetables and low-fat dairy products and skimps on saturated fat and cholesterol can lower your blood pressure by up to 14 mm Hg. This eating plan is known as the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet.

It isn't easy to change your eating habits, but with these tips, you can adopt a healthy diet:

Keep a food diary. Writing down what you eat, even for just a week, can shed surprising light on your true eating habits. Monitor what you eat, how much, when and why.

Consider boosting potassium. Potassium can lessen the effects of sodium on blood pressure. The best source of potassium is food, such as fruits and vegetables, rather than supplements. Talk to your doctor about the potassium level that's best for you.
Be a smart shopper. Make a shopping list before heading to the supermarket to avoid picking up junk food. Read food labels when you shop and stick to your healthy-eating plan when you're dining out, too.
Cut yourself some slack. Although the DASH diet is a lifelong eating guide, it doesn't mean you have to cut out all of the foods you love. It's OK to treat yourself occasionally to foods you wouldn't find on a DASH diet menu, such as a candy bar or mashed potatoes with gravy.

4. Reduce sodium in your diet Even a small reduction in the sodium in your diet can reduce blood pressure by 2 to 8 mm Hg. The recommendations for reducing sodium are:

Limit sodium to 2,300 milligrams (mg) a day or less.
A lower sodium level — 1,500 mg a day or less — is appropriate for people 51 years of age or older, and individuals of any age who are African-American or who have high blood pressure, diabetes or chronic kidney disease.

To decrease sodium in your diet, consider these tips:

Track how much salt is in your diet. Keep a food diary to estimate how much sodium is in what you eat and drink each day.
Read food labels. If possible, choose low-sodium alternatives of the foods and beverages you normally buy.
Eat fewer processed foods. Potato chips, frozen dinners, bacon and processed lunch meats are high in sodium.
Don't add salt. Just 1 level teaspoon of salt has 2,300 mg of sodium. Use herbs or spices, rather than salt, to add more flavor to your foods.
Ease into it. If you don't feel like you can drastically reduce the sodium in your diet suddenly, cut back gradually. Your palate will adjust over time.

5. Limit the amount of alcohol you drink...
6. Avoid tobacco products and secondhand smoke...

7. Cut back on caffeine The role caffeine plays in blood pressure is still debatable. Drinking caffeinated beverages can temporarily cause a spike in your blood pressure, but it's unclear whether the effect is temporary or long lasting.

To see if caffeine raises your blood pressure, check your pressure within 30 minutes of drinking a cup of coffee or another caffeinated beverage you regularly drink. If your blood pressure increases by five to 10 points, you may be sensitive to the blood pressure raising effects of caffeine.
8. Reduce your stress Stress or anxiety can temporarily increase blood pressure. Take some time to think about what causes you to feel stressed, such as work, family, finances or illness. Once you know what's causing your stress, consider how you can eliminate or reduce stress.

If you can't eliminate all of your stressors, you can at least cope with them in a healthier way. Take breaks for deep-breathing exercises. Get a massage or take up yoga or meditation. If self-help doesn't work, seek out a professional for counseling.

9. Monitor your blood pressure at home and make regular doctor's appointments...
10. Get support from family and friends...
I used ellipsis on the points RSR doesn't need to look at more closely, the info is there, at the link. I gave more where I thought if gave some good ideas to follow up on.

aboutime
02-23-2013, 02:57 AM
Iced tea is a no-no unless it is caffeine free. caffeine raises blood pressure Hoss. Also you should be cutting back on your liquid intake. Water raises blood pressure . Got that from my doctor when switching my blood pressure meds. He worried the new meds may drop my BP TOO LOW AT NIGHT WHILE I SLEEP. I asked what to do if it got too low , he said, start drinking water it'll raise it up.-Tyr

YOU NEED TO HYDRATE. Not enough fluids to replace whatever the meds, and visits to the bathroom remove. Need to be replenished or you risk pnumonia. It becomes bothersome to get up during the night to go. But there are combinations of reasons. One of them might be an enlarged Prostate which gets bigger due to less fluids in your bladder. It's a Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Water, or gator aid must replace the lost electrolites...at all costs.

Kathianne
02-23-2013, 03:59 AM
YOU NEED TO HYDRATE. Not enough fluids to replace whatever the meds, and visits to the bathroom remove. Need to be replenished or you risk pnumonia. It becomes bothersome to get up during the night to go. But there are combinations of reasons. One of them might be an enlarged Prostate which gets bigger due to less fluids in your bladder. It's a Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

None of us are doctors. We're all raising issues we know of for ourselves or that we've read about regarding others. RSR should perhaps take notes, and bring them to his doc.

Kathianne
02-23-2013, 04:11 AM
I know what I did to get off of meds for HP, but unlike RSR, I wasn't adverse to cooking and I had the green light for moderate exercise.

Breakfast: oatmeal with cranberries, blueberries, strawberries, bananas, walnuts, pecans, etc. A touch of brown sugar and 1% milk. When time allowed, would move from stove-top to oven, for more cobbler effect.

Lunch: lots of options. Homemade soup, (easier than most think). Alternative: chicken, beef, or pork sandwich, but one cooks the protein. The kicker when you cook? Can make into salad also.

Dinner: Chicken breasts or pork chops. Make a baked potato to go with. Add low fat margarine, fat free sour cream. Pre-grilled turkey bacon pieces. Spinach, squash, (might be green or yellow), purple onions.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-23-2013, 11:42 AM

Amigo, I did not suggest that he so reduce his liquid intake as to be harmful. He should cut back and also replace the previous bad choices in drinking he had with good choices. That combo would do wonders for his HP. -Tyr

red states rule
02-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Well great news folks!!

After all the tests are in, the heart Doctor called and my heart is in great shape

Yes Gabby I do really have a heart

The valves open and close fine, no signs of clogged arteries

and the blood is pumping good

Now I have to go for a sleep study as this is the only other reason why the BP continues to stay high

My new diet is going fine as I am getting use to the new menu I have decided on.

I want to thank all of you for your kind words, suggestions, and words of encouragement. I will do this since I do not have a habit of backing down or losing

A special hat tip to Kat for all the time she has given to me over the phone with her helpful suggestions and knowledge of cooking

red states rule
03-07-2013, 03:57 AM
I saw the Doctor this past Monday and while my BP is still high - it did come down. But the good news is I dropped 7 pounds in 2 weeks. The Doctor put me on stronger BP meds and told me to keep doing what I am doing as far as diet. I have a long way to go but things have started off well