PDA

View Full Version : Old photos

Robert A Whit
02-01-2013, 07:01 PM
4431I have in my file 2 photos.

First photo is at the site in Nurnberg where Hitler had this enormous stadium built and could talk to Germans during WW2 of about a million who listened raptly to his speeches. They would be off to the right of this photo.

Also it was at Nurnberg where the famous post ww 2 trials for war crimes were held and those who were hanged were at this same city.
Bud is upper left and I am upper right. When off post, we wore civilian clothes and even in free time on post we did it too. The reason for the bright part is I used my digital camera to take the photo and it kept flashing. The quality of the original print could be a lot better.

I loved to fiddle with special effects in black and white.

Bud (bottom photo)(from MA but currently in VA) appears to be holding up the HQ and HQ Col Clerk (home was Atlanta GA) that got the Sgt Stripes when they had been promised to me. He was in the Army for longer than me so, oh well.

Anyway, below, the photo shows The clerk apparently in Bud's hand. We shot others that same day. My print is clear so it looks as if Bud is holding up a tiny man. Flash made this photo worse.

This is taken in Germany and the building to the right is one of the motor pool buildings at Ledward Barracks.

Robert A Whit
02-01-2013, 07:29 PM
I looked at other photos and located a shot of Bud holding Bob Smith the clerk on his hand.

Bud was a driver for a Major who was as I recall our S-3. Before I show you the less well focused but no flash photo, I have a story I think is very funny.

This happened when I and the unit went to Hohenfels Germany, one of the two major training sites (Grafenwohr the other) and Bud told me this right after he did it ...

Bud was by an Armored personall Carrier (APC M-114) at night. He was sitting in the Majors Jeep as he had gone into a top secret vehicle to discuss something or the other. The Major had got out of the Jeep and put his helmet showing his rank on the passenger seat. Bud had taken off his helmet. No rank on his.

Some Lt shows up and Bud is performing guard duty per orders of the Major.

Bud just grabs a helmet not realizing he got the Majors.

Bud barks out, Who goes there?

Lt so and so SIR. Note he said SIR.

Bud thinks real fast.

Suddenly he barks at the lower ranking officer, halt right there. Bud tells this Lt to go right back and show up in a later period of time. Maybe it was like 15 minutes.

But sir, barks out the Lt.

Bud cuts him off and says, Lt you go right back out and when you come in, you do so correctly.

In a few moments, Bud is back in his Jeep seat and the Major comes to the Jeep, grabs his helmet where Bud had put it and off they go.

Bud and I laughed a long time. Last time I was in VA at his home, I reminded him of what he did. We laughed our asses off again.

Bud is the one holding Bob Smith. Sorry it is shitty focus. Double click the photos to see them better.

jimnyc
02-01-2013, 08:07 PM
Sweet, old photos! Thanks for the share. Got more?

Robert A Whit
02-01-2013, 08:49 PM
Sweet, old photos! Thanks for the share. Got more?

I posted a fairly recent shot of a huge crane at the lake in town. As to more from circa 1963 of Berlin as well as Amsterdam, when I get my digital camera to operate correctly, I shall post more.

At Amsterdam, I was there in February of 1963 and man was it cold. I have photos of frozen canals with birds walking on the ice and other such shots. I got some harbor shots too.

Berlin, since I spent about 45 days there, I have many more shots.

I also have one of me sitting in the back of an armored personnel carrier and one of the first sergant in our office and many more of the base.

What about Bingster. Maybe he can share some photos circa his time in the Army or any of the other guys who also served.