PDA

View Full Version : Student suspended over picture of gun

jimnyc
02-02-2013, 01:59 PM
I understand they want to take extra precautions about violence in schools - but suspension over the picture of a gun, one that isn't even his no less?

FLORENCE, AZ - A high school student in Florence said he has been suspended because of a picture of a gun.

Daniel McClaine Jr., a freshman at Poston Butte High School, said he saved the picture as his desktop background on his school-issued computer.

A teacher noticed it and turned him in.

The picture shows an AK-47 on top of a flag.

McClaine said the school initially suspended him for three days Friday.

Since the laptop belongs to the school, the district policy states students are prohibited from “sending or displaying offensive messages or pictures,” and cannot access, send, create or forward pictures that are considered “harassing, threatening, or illegal.”

McClaine said he read the guidelines but does not consider the picture threatening to anyone.

“This gun wallpaper does not show anything that’s violent. It's not showing anybody getting shot in any way. It's just a picture of a gun. It's nothing -- nobody getting shot, nobody getting it pointed at them, it's nothing,” said McClaine.

McClaine said the gun is not his. He’s interested in joining the military and said he found it on the internet.

Dana Hawman, a spokesperson for the Florence Unified School District, released the following statement:

Although we cannot specifically discuss student discipline, we can certainly agree that violence in schools is a sensitive and timely issue. Students, parents and staff are on edge, and the daily news delivers more reasons for caution. All of us must work together to protect our kids and to cultivate an environment that is conducive to learning.

Daniel’s father said after ABC15 contacted the school, the administration backed down and will let his son return to school on Monday instead of Wednesday.

“To me it's ridiculous. Three days for a picture? It wasn't like he was standing in front of the school holding the gun,” said Daniel McClaine Sr. “He should have got a warning. He shouldn't have ever been suspended. Not for something so frivolous.”

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_central_southern_az/florence/florence-student-suspended-over-picture-of-gun

logroller
02-02-2013, 02:54 PM
Imagine if the picture had the 2nd amendment text; how offensive is that? What about picasso's guernica...quite disturbing. or a picture of George washington holding a sword?clearly that represents violence and revolution-- nix that too. What kind of nation of weaklings are we raising that a static image is offensive enough to dissuade learning. What's next; a bad portrait artist being charged with defamation? Mediocre musicians being charged with disturbing the peace?

I remember being distracted by many an attractive girl in school; burkas or suspension girls-- you're disrupting the learning environment.

What about learning to respect other's views; that not as timely an issue gun control? Clearly the solution has taken precedence over the problems when an image is so offensive that averting one's eyes is no longer viable. We've such an illiterate populous, we'd might as well have constitutional convention converting the guiding document into a picture book.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-02-2013, 03:34 PM
I understand they want to take extra precautions about violence in schools - but suspension over the picture of a gun, one that isn't even his no less?

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_central_southern_az/florence/florence-student-suspended-over-picture-of-gun

Imagine the reaction if a grade school kid brought both a pic of a rifle and a pic of a dead president, say Kennedy.
Would they arrest the kid for plotting to do way with obama????
What we are seeing now is the level to which the leftists and liberals will go to destroy our freedoms.
It should be scaring the living hell out of most Americans but brainwashing and public education has created sheep that think all is right in the world as long as daddy-government says so!--Tyr

aboutime
02-02-2013, 04:18 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, and again until somebody notices and does something to change it. But....

It appears. People from all walks of life here in America have fallen down in accepting POLITICAL CORRECTNESS over Common Sense.

In other words. The entire nation is just GOING NUTS!

Sadly. Our enemies around the world are watching, and applauding their success in the slow Destruction of a Society from WITHIN.

Thunderknuckles
02-02-2013, 04:44 PM
"Since the laptop belongs to the school, the district policy states students are prohibited from “sending or displaying offensive messages or pictures,” and cannot access, send, create or forward pictures that are considered “harassing, threatening, or illegal.”
First off, the IT guys at that school aren't doing their jobs in securing the PCs. No student should have the ability to change any setting on the school's PC, even desktop images.
Secondly, the kid was punished for tampering with school property, not because of displaying a gun. Although, the gun picture probably influenced the harshness of the penalty. Staff obviously over reacted on this one.
Nonetheless, the kid should at least have his hand smacked for tampering with the PC and the IT guys need to be reminded what their responsibilities are.

Final verdict: It's a wash.

revelarts
02-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Sumter, SC (WLTX) - A kindergartner at Alice Drive Elementary in Sumter has been expelled from school for bringing a clear plastic gun to class.

Naomi McKinney, who's six-year-old, was expelled on January 7th. UPDATE: Girl Allowed Back in Class

The problem began when Naomi grabbed her brother's Airsoft gun to bring in for show and tell.

"I chose to bring it to school because I thought I could show my friends it because they might like seeing it," Naomi explains.

Her dad, Hank, says he and her mother didn't see what she choose to bring until getting a call from the school.

"The school needed me down there that my daughter was fixing to be expelled," he says. "I got in the car and rushed down there and when I got in there the principal told me that she had a gun at school and she pulls it out and it is a little clear plastic gun."

News19 asked the Sumter County School District for a picture or description of the gun but said they would not release that information because it is part of the child's discipline record, which they do not disclose.

"You have to show some kind of judgment," Hank McKinney says. "I know there is a lot going on with guns and schools and that is tragic but a six year old bringing a toy to school doesn't know better." 6-Year-Old Expelled for Bringing Plastic Gun to School | wltx.com (http://www.wltx.com/news/article/219116/2/6-Year-Old-Expelled-for-Bringing-Toy-Gun-to-School)

I think we need to stop making excuses for these school and police
it's seem to be common sense issue.

jimnyc
02-02-2013, 07:42 PM
"Since the laptop belongs to the school, the district policy states students are prohibited from “sending or displaying offensive messages or pictures,” and cannot access, send, create or forward pictures that are considered “harassing, threatening, or illegal.”
First off, the IT guys at that school aren't doing their jobs in securing the PCs. No student should have the ability to change any setting on the school's PC, even desktop images.
Secondly, the kid was punished for tampering with school property, not because of displaying a gun. Although, the gun picture probably influenced the harshness of the penalty. Staff obviously over reacted on this one.
Nonetheless, the kid should at least have his hand smacked for tampering with the PC and the IT guys need to be reminded what their responsibilities are.

Final verdict: It's a wash.

I don't think he was punished for tampering, or at least don't see that in there. The part you bolded - I don't think he sent or displayed an "offensive" message or picture. It doesn't say him putting a picture alone was against policy, only if it was an image that was offensive, harassing, threatening or illegal. I don't believe the image fits any of the above. But unless I'm reading wrongly, I don't think simply placing AN image on their was an issue, or the issue.

You are obviously correct about IT. When we rolled out images we would use the policy editor and bolt everything down. No desktop backgrounds could be changed, no access to the registry, no access to a host of directories and a bunch of other things. If you don't want them messing with something, lock it down, otherwise assume they will.

Voted4Reagan
02-02-2013, 08:06 PM
I don't think he was punished for tampering, or at least don't see that in there. The part you bolded - I don't think he sent or displayed an "offensive" message or picture. It doesn't say him putting a picture alone was against policy, only if it was an image that was offensive, harassing, threatening or illegal. I don't believe the image fits any of the above. But unless I'm reading wrongly, I don't think simply placing AN image on their was an issue, or the issue.

You are obviously correct about IT. When we rolled out images we would use the policy editor and bolt everything down. No desktop backgrounds could be changed, no access to the registry, no access to a host of directories and a bunch of other things. If you don't want them messing with something, lock it down, otherwise assume they will.

The banning of Pictures of guns will lead to a reduction of people getting murdered by pictures of guns.... according to the lefties

Marcus Aurelius
02-02-2013, 11:25 PM

First off, the IT guys at that school aren't doing their jobs in securing the PCs. No student should have the ability to change any setting on the school's PC, even desktop images. Completely agree.

Secondly, the kid was punished for tampering with school property, not because of displaying a gun. Although, the gun picture probably influenced the harshness of the penalty. Staff obviously over reacted on this one. Not completely, at least not according to the story in the OP...

Since the laptop belongs to the school, the district policy states students are prohibited from “sending or displaying offensive messages or pictures,” and cannot access, send, create or forward pictures that are considered “harassing, threatening, or illegal.”
This quite clearly shows he was punished for the content, as well as the act.

Nonetheless, the kid should at least have his hand smacked for tampering with the PC and the IT guys need to be reminded what their responsibilities are. Agreed.

Final verdict: It's a wash. Pretty much.

my comments in red above.

Kathianne
02-03-2013, 12:06 AM
I'm going to have to read more on this. While both of the districts I sub in enjoy high ratings, one of them consistently is noted as a top district in national recognition. Some has to do with the nature of the city, moreso I think though in the supposed diversity of the population. The 'diversity' however is on race and religion, not economics. It's a top contender for 'helicopter parents.' Over 65% of students take at least 1 honors or AP course per year. It is a 'tech center' city, lots of Chinese, Japanese, Indians, and Pakistanis. I enjoy the students, they are very eager to learn, but are very stressed. It's both from home and schools.

Last Thursday I was subbing in 'Communication Arts,' most of you would think, English class. The American Lit period met in the Literacy Center, most of you would think, 'computer lab.' Freshman class. Pre-reading activity for, "The Great Gatsby." Basically they had a week to make a report via tech presentation, that had to include: visuals, original documents, audio, and oral commentary. 10 page written with citations. All had to do with the 1920's and had to explain how 'knowledge' of their report would add to the cultural setting of the novel.

The topics chosen were certainly interesting, from 'the flappers' to the Black Sox scandal; from Lindbergh to prohibition.

It's prohibition that brought to mind the OP. Lots of pictures of massacres and the weapons used. Lots of original documents regarding both police and criminals. Not once did the 'security' folks visit the literacy center. Yes, all computers are monitored, it's not uncommon to hear, "Oh shit! Busted, again." The students computer is 'overtaken' by security if they are viewing or writing something that security believes MAY be questionable. If it's deemed such after review, (as I said, a very competitive school), they will come down and get the student and bring to dean. Mostly that means a warning or lunch detention. Sometimes it means an In school suspension, which requires parent notification and is part of permanent record.

A picture of a gun would not cut it.

Kathianne
02-03-2013, 09:20 AM
I'm not seeing anything that leads to the conclusion he messed with anything regarding computer system. What seems to have happened is that the picture disturbed someone monitoring the computers on at the time. At the school I wrote about above, those 'monitoring' are teachers doing a 'duty' period, set aside monitoring computer displays all the 'on computers' and their current screen.

From the monitor station one can 'warn' the student to move onto assignments or appropriate sites. Shopping sites are 'not appropriate, for instance.' One can also 'lock' the monitored computers and the login at the same time, a screen shot at that time is automatically taken. (It's at that point, one can often hear, "Busted.")

Security is called to take the students to their dean, the deans can access the monitoring station to get the info under review. They decide whether or not the student was in violation of policy and whether on not to restore their login. They decide the punishment, if any.