PDA

View Full Version : Had no idea, until I started this new job.

Trinity
02-03-2013, 09:46 AM
A job is job. Unless your doing something you love.

But even with doing something you love, you end up working with people who may not understand you or your thought process. Which describes every work environment I have had for my entire life.

About 3 months ago I started looking for tech support/help desk positions within a 20 mile radius of where I live. With no luck. It appeared that all these types of positions were either in the state next to me about 25 miles away or in my state about 25 miles away. I really didn't want to drive that far. But after 3 months of looking I decided I was not going to be able to find a position in that field any closer. So I started sending out my resume for the help desk positions that were 25 miles away in my state.

I got called in for an interview, and hired on the spot. ;)

I started working there last week, and realized what I had been missing in all of my previous work environments.

The nerds and the geeks! :cool:

I work for a global company, in a building with 6 floors of IT people. I finally found a place where I fit in. I love it!!:coffee:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-03-2013, 10:13 AM

But even with doing something you love, you end up working with people who may not understand you or your thought process. Which describes every work environment I have had for my entire life.

About 3 months ago I started looking for tech support/help desk positions within a 20 mile radius of where I live. With no luck. It appeared that all these types of positions were either in the state next to me about 25 miles away or in my state about 25 miles away. I really didn't want to drive that far. But after 3 months of looking I decided I was not going to be able to find a position in that field any closer. So I started sending out my resume for the help desk positions that were 25 miles away in my state.

I started working there last week, and realized what I had been missing in all of my previous work environments.

I work for a global company, in a building with 6 floors of IT people. I finally found a place where I fit in. I love it!!:coffee:

Congrats on the new job and the great luck of finding a comfortable work environment to boot!--:beer:-Tyr

taft2012
02-03-2013, 12:02 PM
I got an even better job.

I get to put my life on the line every day at work. But that's not all!

Some people are so grateful for that, that they additionally expect me to risk my entire personal wealth and livelihood by disregarding the directives issued by the elected leaders those very same people elected into office - and take upon myself any personal civil liability that may result from disregarding any of those directives that those particular people may happen to disagree with.

Pretty sweet deal, eh?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-03-2013, 12:22 PM

Some people are so grateful for that, that they additionally expect me to risk my entire personal wealth and livelihood by disregarding the directives issued by the elected leaders those very same people elected into office - and take upon myself any personal civil liability that may result from disregarding any of those directives that those particular people may happen to disagree with.

Pretty sweet deal, eh?

The good cops are not appreciated enough and the bad cops are not exposed enough.
Some of this can be blamed on Hollywood always showing bad cops in its movies. Seem every film including cops shows a few!
However I know for a fact ABOUT BAD COPS having dealt with a few myself. Many of them leave a memory that the victim dos not soon forget. Their arrogance , brutality and disregard for law and justice taints the entire police department and all police in general.
The biggest problem many people have is the "blue wall", that so often protects bad cops! My nephew was a cop for a few years and he changed occupation because of it. He just got tired of seeing bad cops so protected by the "good ones"-Tyr

then you have the male cop that almost always gives the pretty women verbal warnings but always gives the man a ticket! This one is quite common and guys tat see it don't forget it. Pretty woman doing 30/40 miles over the speed limit gets a verbal warning and a guy doing 12 miles over gets a ticket every time.

tailfins
02-03-2013, 12:32 PM

Outstanding!! Whenever you find yourself not fitting in, seek out those who get messed with. You almost never lose when you approach an isolated person and say "you look like you could use a friend". Those who are gay often fit into this category. While for example I'm opposed to same sex marriage, I have learned to soften the rhetoric to say, "I like traditions, and marriage is such a long established tradition, I'm not comfortable altering it." It explains it in the least derogatory way possible to a gay person.

One huge difference between you and I is that I would literally go to Siberia or anywhere else for a good work environment. The only exception would be working in a country in violation of the Trading With The Enemy Act.

aboutime
02-03-2013, 10:48 PM

Pretty sweet deal, eh?

TRINITY. Congratulations on finding something you love to do. In today's world. That kind of job is a blessing.

taft. In case nobody has said it to you lately...if at all. I am not afraid to tell you How much I, and my wife so fully appreciate, admire, and respect ALL OF YOU who wear Blue, and a Badge.

We live in a growing area, and community where the needs for more police protection grows each year. Primarily because we have become a growing Tourist area with more than 25 miles of beachfront on the Atlantic.

I don't care what others think of police officers. I salute you, and thank all of you. STAY SAFE.

tailfins
02-04-2013, 01:14 AM

If you do help desk, you're less of a nerd than I. You seem to be familiar with this strange concept called SOCIAL SKILLS. I'm the grumpy code writer that the manager won't let anywhere near an executive much less a customer. Have you seen the type that pounds out lines of code and growls at anyone that walks by his cube? I'm that guy.

Little-Acorn
02-04-2013, 01:26 AM
It appeared that all these types of positions were either in the state next to me about 25 miles away
Move here instead. Then the nearest state will be 200 miles away. Unless you hablar Espanol.

That's why you hang around on this forum, with us, isn't it? :stooges:

Congrats!

Trinity
02-04-2013, 06:08 AM
If you do help desk, you're less of a nerd than I. You seem to be familiar with this strange concept called SOCIAL SKILLS. I'm the grumpy code writer that the manager won't let anywhere near an executive much less a customer. Have you seen the type that pounds out lines of code and growls at anyone that walks by his cube? I'm that guy.

Yes I some how managed to develop social skills, although not sure at what point in my life that happen. Maybe because in my earlier employment years I was in customer service. Of course it could also be because I'm a female. Don't get me wrong though I am by no means a social butterfly and would actually prefer to not deal with anyone...but.....

Trinity
02-04-2013, 06:09 AM
Move here instead. Then the nearest state will be 200 miles away. Unless you hablar Espanol.

That's why you hang around on this forum, with us, isn't it? :stooges:

Congrats!

No Espanol..... and yep that is why I hang around :cool:

taft2012
02-04-2013, 07:19 AM
The good cops are not appreciated enough and the bad cops are not exposed enough.
Some of this can be blamed on Hollywood always showing bad cops in its movies. Seem every film including cops shows a few!
However I know for a fact ABOUT BAD COPS having dealt with a few myself. Many of them leave a memory that the victim dos not soon forget. Their arrogance , brutality and disregard for law and justice taints the entire police department and all police in general.
The biggest problem many people have is the "blue wall", that so often protects bad cops! My nephew was a cop for a few years and he changed occupation because of it. He just got tired of seeing bad cops so protected by the "good ones"-Tyr

then you have the male cop that almost always gives the pretty women verbal warnings but always gives the man a ticket! This one is quite common and guys tat see it don't forget it. Pretty woman doing 30/40 miles over the speed limit gets a verbal warning and a guy doing 12 miles over gets a ticket every time.

Yes, but other than the Hollywood angle, isn't this true about any profession? Clergymen, doctors, teachers, etc. Catholic priests have been taking a beating lately, but for the most part the good in most professions do not get broad brushed by the actions of the few bad.

For instance, you mentioned defending the soldiers who came home from Vietnam from angry protesters, who were probably calling the returning vets things like "Baby Killer!" after the My Lai massacre. Thankfully, this time around we have long-running love affair with our servicemen, and the actions of a few do not mar the overall professionalism of the entire military.

But the false premise applied to those returning Vietnam vets is the same one now tied to the police. Because police all wear the same uniform we are all assumed to be of the same character. Ironically, the people who would make that generalization would never make the same generalization about a group of people because they all shared the same skin color.

Times have changed indeed. Long ago when I marched off to join the profession, my fellow conservatives rallied around me, backslapping, well wishing, etc. Law enforcement, like the military, was considered the height of conservative public services.

But conservatism has undergone an obvious transformation in those intervening years. It's been infiltrated by liberals and potheads who are hijacking the conservative movement to advance their own personal primary issue; the legalization of marijuana. They link a siren song about "individual liberty" (very attractive to traditional conservatives) to a condemnation of a "police state." And the image of local law enforcement suffers the brunt of this attack.

Forget the fact that it is the people themselves who elect the representatives who make the laws. The easier target to attack is the police, who simply enforce the laws enacted by the duly elected legislatures. The easier route to take to their goal is cowing law enforcement into inaction and public disdain, than getting elected officials to risk public condemnation. They tell the police "Don't enforce the law! A real conservative would ignore the law!"

No, real conservatives respect the law as the collective democratic will of the people, as American a principle as you can find anywhere. If conservatives don't like a law, they work to educate the public and change the law. Disregarding laws they don't like is the domain of liberals and pothead conservatives.

I for one, will not be cowed by these pothead conservatives, who sometimes call themselves libertarians. They'll speak well, and convince you they really care about issues like guns and the 2nd Amendment, but it's all really about pot. They could convince me and any traditional conservative to legalize marijuana tomorrow if they would agree to first get rid of the welfare state, and ensure that those who chose a marijuana-based addiction lifestyle, and their children, would not require food, housing, and housing from the taxpayers.

But the pothead conservatives will never do that, because under their thin veneer of libertarianism, they're really poorly disguised liberals. And liberals have always harbored deep resentment of local law enforcement.

taft2012
02-04-2013, 07:31 AM

Funny you should mention this, because this is a contributing factor to what I was trying to explain to Rev....

Traffic infractions and violations (petty offenses) is one of the few areas where the police still have the discretion NOT to take police action.

The ability to use discretion was removed from police on many matters due to complaints like the one you're making; "Police only arrest black people for this crime, and always let white people go with a warning." "Police only arrest black kids for doing this, and always let white kids go."

So discretion was largely taken away from the police on more serious matters. Maybe someday all discretion will be taken away and the police will be compelled to also give the pretty woman a ticket.

But the funny thing is, that still won't make people happy. The people make the complaints, the elected officials devise a response to the complaints from the public....

.... and then the police themselves get blamed for the results mandated on them from above.

tailfins
02-04-2013, 08:19 AM
Yes I some how managed to develop social skills, although not sure at what point in my life that happen. Maybe because in my earlier employment years I was in customer service. Of course it could also be because I'm a female. Don't get me wrong though I am by no means a social butterfly and would actually prefer to not deal with anyone...but.....

Given the meaning of my new signature, it was especially gracious of you to thank my post! Duly noted and I will return the favor.

No Espanol..... and yep that is why I hang around http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/smilies/cool.png

I don't get along very well with "my own kind". Over the last three years there has been a huge "browning" (as in skin color) of my social circle. I'm generally miserable around Anglos (AKA Gringos), except myself, of course. With the strange exception of "occupier" types. Not their politics, but their personality.