PDA

View Full Version : How old to start shaving?

jimnyc
02-03-2013, 11:53 AM
My son has that little peach fuzz above his lip, but it's of a darker color, so it stands out. Almost looks "dirty" to me and should be shaved - but the boy just turned 12 at the end of November! I don't want to get him into shaving once a week, or more. I think he's too young, but I'm basing that on my limited knowledge. I don't think I started shaving until I was about 17 or so.

So is there a standard to this?

Thunderknuckles
02-03-2013, 12:07 PM
I started once the peach fuzz turned black. I think I was around 16 or so. 12 seems young but some start earlier than others. I don't see a problem with him starting if its getting dirty. Use your best judgement.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-03-2013, 12:42 PM
My son has that little peach fuzz above his lip, but it's of a darker color, so it stands out. Almost looks "dirty" to me and should be shaved - but the boy just turned 12 at the end of November! I don't want to get him into shaving once a week, or more. I think he's too young, but I'm basing that on my limited knowledge. I don't think I started shaving until I was about 17 or so.

No standard that I know of. I started when mine stopped being peace fuzz and become hard/far more noticeable.
Shaving for me has always been a pain in the azz. Tough beard and sensitive skin makes for a wicked combination. I am currently wearing a three week beard right now.

Robert A Whit
02-03-2013, 01:10 PM
Shaving for boys is so wierd. At least it was when I was a boy.

They often wanted hair on the face so they could guess what?

Get it right back off by shaving. LMAO

I have raised for part of their lives, 5 boys. In my two families, we did not make a fuss over shaving. I honestly don't recall when the boys started shaving.

Thunderknuckles
02-03-2013, 01:25 PM
As long as he remembers to shave North and South and not East and West, he should be OK :p

fj1200
02-03-2013, 01:44 PM

Let me know how it turns out. I'm hoping to start any day now.

jafar00
02-03-2013, 04:30 PM

Just show him this and tell him if he doesn't shave, he could have a magnificent beard like this guy!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Tq0FlrEYYwY/TOOnpFSYJrI/AAAAAAAAAjM/BM4hAk8t9Uk/s1600/CurlBeardMOS0109_468x387%255B1%255D.jpg

He would probably decide for himself after seeing this :)

jimnyc
02-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Just show him this and tell him if he doesn't shave, he could have a magnificent beard like this guy!

He would probably decide for himself after seeing this :)

That looks like WAY too much work!

Here's my son, Jordan. You can barely notice the peach fuzz in this picture, but it's slowly going from what was a blondish color to darker and darker. He just got his greasy long haircut today, I can see his face again! And nevermind the shaving, yes, we're dealing with acne too. He's lucky, as my wife buys him all kinds of creams and stuff to wash his face with, but he mostly ignores the stuff, but then he'll complain about the acne at times! Lazy little bastard.

http://i46.tinypic.com/mn0u8m.jpg

jimnyc
02-03-2013, 04:46 PM
Maybe someone can answer this, maybe Darin? The kid has pearly whites, but they look yellow in many pictures I/we take. Why is that?

hjmick
02-03-2013, 05:11 PM
I'd worry less about the peach fuzz and instead concentrate on those caterpillars moving in above his eyes! The boy could go blind!

Seriously though, good looking kid ya got there Jim. Must take afte his mother...

As for the shaving thing, let him decide. Is he uncomfortable with the dark fuzzy lip? Let him shave. Maybe buy him an electric for now so as not to risk the nicks and cuts of a blade.

Then again, what do I know? I raised three daughters...

Of course there was the whole "shaving the legs' thing to deal with...

jimnyc
02-03-2013, 05:59 PM
I'd worry less about the peach fuzz and instead concentrate on those caterpillars moving in above his eyes! The boy could go blind!

Seriously though, good looking kid ya got there Jim. Must take afte his mother...

As for the shaving thing, let him decide. Is he uncomfortable with the dark fuzzy lip? Let him shave. Maybe buy him an electric for now so as not to risk the nicks and cuts of a blade.

Then again, what do I know? I raised three daughters...

Of course there was the whole "shaving the legs' thing to deal with...

I just said to my wife a few minutes ago that it looked like his eyebrow color was much darker than his hair. I don't think there's much you can do there, as color is color and the size would only grow back no matter what ya did anyway, no?

Thanks for the compliment. And truth is, he does get his looks from Mom. He got his dirtbagishness, attitude, temper and laziness from his father. :)

I think that's best, let him decide. It's not like he has a full blown mustache, but it's noticeable, but could be Mom and Dad notice little things more than others.

aboutime
02-03-2013, 06:35 PM

jimnyc. First time I shaved wasn't at home, but at Navy Boot Camp in Great Lakes, Ill. in 1964.

All I had, like hundreds of other 17 year old new sailors like me...was Peach Fuzz.

But. The Company Commanders told all of us. If you didn't shave before you got here. You're gonna learn.

During Inspections after the first week. Having Peach Fuzz on your lip, or cheek...UNSHAVED, was counted against you.

They wanted CLEAN, CLEAR, SOFT SKIN on the face. If you happened to miss some of the Fuzz...you got punished for it with PULL UPS, or SIT UPS...along with the other 59 other members of the company.

So. It's really got to be Your Son's decision as to whether he wants to keep the dark fuzz.

But a good warning would be. "ONCE YOU START....IT NEVER ENDS, and YOU ARE STUCK FOR LIFE!"

jafar00
02-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Maybe someone can answer this, maybe Darin? The kid has pearly whites, but they look yellow in many pictures I/we take. Why is that?

It might have something to do with the cheap camera they have installed on iPads. Did you use the flash on it? That can apparently leave photos with a yellowish tinge due to poor timing with the flash in the software.

Thunderknuckles
02-03-2013, 11:32 PM
Good neck on him. Solid. He needs to work on the shoulders and he will be batting off the girls with a stick.

jimnyc
02-04-2013, 12:05 PM
It might have something to do with the cheap camera they have installed on iPads. Did you use the flash on it? That can apparently leave photos with a yellowish tinge due to poor timing with the flash in the software.

Oh hell, I don't remember, it's the woman's ipad! But it isn't the first time I noticed, as I saw it from my cheesy camera too, which does use the flash. We have horrible lighting in our home, so the flashes almost always go off when indoors.

jimnyc
02-04-2013, 12:06 PM
Good neck on him. Solid. He needs to work on the shoulders and he will be batting off the girls with a stick.

He can't do any of that when he is basically a troll who lives in darkness, in his room with video games at every waking moment! He plays Portal, Minecraft and a little bit of Left for Dead.

gabosaurus
02-04-2013, 12:23 PM
My daughter brought up this point over the weekend. But I am guessing this is not the answer you are wanting... :eek:

jimnyc
02-04-2013, 12:31 PM
My daughter brought up this point over the weekend. But I am guessing this is not the answer you are wanting... :eek:

What point did she bring up?

gabosaurus
02-04-2013, 12:34 PM
When is a good age to start shaving. I might have to allow her to start shaving her legs.
We won't discuss those other areas until later... :cool:

jimnyc
02-04-2013, 12:35 PM
When is a good age to start shaving. I might have to allow her to start shaving her legs.
We won't discuss those other areas until later... :cool:

Yeah, I guess my problem isn't so bad after all! Good luck to you! :lol:

gabosaurus
02-04-2013, 01:12 PM
If your son ever asks you "do these jeans make my butt look fat," THEN you have a problem. :cool:

I sometimes wonder how my aunt and uncle survived all the teenage years where my cousin wore short skirts and fishnet stockings to school. She was quite a hellion. And an endowed one at that.