PDA

View Full Version : Obama admin issues 160-page edict on healthy school snacks

red states rule
02-04-2013, 03:34 AM
and the Obama regulation nation continues

Now parents are no longer competent to decide what their kids may or may not eat - only the Obama administration knows what is best for your kids

The Obama administration proposed regulations (http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdahome?contentid=2013/02/0019.xml&contentidonly=true) Friday that would prohibit U.S. schools from selling unhealthy snacks.
The 160-page regulation (http://www.fns.usda.gov/cga/020113-snacks.pdf) from the Department of Agriculture (USDA) would enact nutrition standards for “competitive” foods not included in the official school meal.

In practice, the proposed rules would replace traditional potato chips with baked versions and candy with granola. Regular soda is out, though high-schoolers may have access to diet versions.

“Although nutrition standards for foods sold at school alone may not be a determining factor in children’s overall diets, they are critical to providing children with healthy food options throughout the entire school day,” the proposed rule states.

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/02/02/obama-admin-issues-160-page-edict-on-healthy-school-snacks/

However some schools are finding ways to serbve healthy food to kids without governemnt interferecne and uses the private sector to help

School lunches are just not something the federal government are just not something that the federal government needs to be spending our time and money doing. States and even just school districts are perfectly capable of finding entrepreneurial and — quelle horreur — private-sector solutions to the issue of school lunches. Case in point, via the WSJ (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323375204578269860140197242.html):
Workers wearing hair nets are scattered at about 30 prep stations, mixing pasta with marinara sauce, hand-rolling sushi and creating homemade corn dogs. Tubs of fresh broccoli, baby carrots and green beans wait to be doled out into child-size portions. On this day, Kid Chow will deliver about 5,000 customized bagged lunches for about $4.25 to $6.50 each to elementary and middle schools in the Bay Area.

Kid Chow, which husband-and-wife team Rob and Jamie Feuerman, both 48 years old, launched in 2003, started by serving these lunches to one private school in San Francisco. Today, the company has 85 employees and serves 52 schools, takes in annual revenue of about $5 million and is profitable, Ms. Feuerman says. …

Outside providers that aim to serve up fresh local fare have become a “national phenomenon” in the past five years, says Ms. Feuerman. “The Bay Area is where you have the greatest concentration of these lunch providers.” …
“At Kid Chow we say it really is about the bean in the burrito,” says Ms. Feuerman, noting that kids are often labeled as picky eaters when they simply want choice.

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/02/02/obama-admin-issues-160-page-edict-on-healthy-school-snacks/

I guess we can't have capitalism solve a problem with this administration

Missileman
02-04-2013, 09:22 AM
Although nutrition standards for foods sold at school alone may not be a determining factor in children’s overall diets, they are critical to providing children with healthy food options throughout the entire school day,” the proposed rule states.

I'm not sure these bureaucrats understand the concept of option.

Nukeman
02-04-2013, 09:36 AM
I'm not sure these bureaucrats understand the concept of option.I don't think that words means what they think that word means!!!! In my best Inyo Montoya voice!! (from the Princess bride)

Marcus Aurelius
02-04-2013, 02:21 PM
The proposed regulations cover school lunches, but do not prohibit parents from packing whatever they want in their children's lunches. As a parent of a 7th grader, if I am not happy with mandated or non-mandated content in my sons school lunches, I'll pack him a lunch myself.

No real big deal for me here.

bingster
02-04-2013, 02:36 PM
and the Obama regulation nation continues

Now parents are no longer competent to decide what their kids may or may not eat - only the Obama administration knows what is best for your kids

However some schools are finding ways to serbve healthy food to kids without governemnt interferecne and uses the private sector to help

I guess we can't have capitalism solve a problem with this administration

Are you guys missing the fact that these are public schools? Why shouldn't public schools that are supported with tax money be required to provide healthy options? If you want your kid to eat crap, put the crap in his lunch sack.

This country does have a child obesity problem, this is the least the government should do.

Kathianne
02-04-2013, 04:14 PM
The proposed regulations cover school lunches, but do not prohibit parents from packing whatever they want in their children's lunches. As a parent of a 7th grader, if I am not happy with mandated or non-mandated content in my sons school lunches, I'll pack him a lunch myself.

Unless you are in Chicago, then you may be prohibited from sending a lunch.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/11/chicago-public-school-ban_n_847581.html

School lunches aren't what they used to be. At some city schools, ham and cheese sandwiches have been replaced with greasy pizza, burgers and french fries. While some schools have tried to add healthier options to their lunch menus, one Chicago school has taken a controversial approach: it banned home-packed lunches altogether.

The Chicago Tribune reported Monday (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/education/ct-met-school-lunch-restrictions-041120110410,0,4567867.story?page=2) that the principal of Little Village Academy decided to ban home-packed lunches at the West Side school after watching students bring lunches consisting of "bottles of soda and flaming hot chips" on field trips.

Kathianne
02-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Are you guys missing the fact that these are public schools? Why shouldn't public schools that are supported with tax money be required to provide healthy options? If you want your kid to eat crap, put the crap in his lunch sack.

This country does have a child obesity problem, this is the least the government should do.

So I keep hearing. Perhaps it's because I live in and have taught in a middle-upper middle class area? I've only taught middle and high school. In the parochial school I watched some 'plump' little kids, slim way down by the time I had them in middle school.

While for the past 3 years, have been in public schools, prior to that in parochial for 13 years. Less than 3% have been obese; I'll estimate that 15% are overweight, that may be high. Mostly girls, mostly two minorities. In all likelihood, mostly genetic predisposition. Either short and rotund or average with certain areas carrying extra weight.

Robert A Whit
02-04-2013, 04:39 PM

They are generally county or city schools. They are not managed by the Jester king of America. As it is, a lot of schools already think they are parents rather than educators and jam what food they want into those kids. I am not for unhealthy eating, I am for freedom.

I recall when I went to school that we had no obiesity problems. Then the Feds put their noses into it. As you say, now we have one.

Some of us posting realize this country was founded to promote freedom, not being told what to do by the Feds.

Esox
02-04-2013, 08:29 PM

Did you forget that a school actually confiscated a child's lunch, because it was deemed to be "not nutritious"?

Kathianne
02-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Did you forget that a school actually confiscated a child's lunch, because it was deemed to be "not nutritious"?

The legislation is giving impetus towards creating a black market, run by those that may leave campus, or buy in quanitities:

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2013/02/usda-gets-into-snack-police-business/

<header class="post-header"> USDA’s School Lunch Program Moves to Limit Unhealthy Snacks By News Desk (http://www.foodsafetynews.com/author/newsdesk/) | <time class="post-date">February 4, 2013</time> </header> Anyone who has visited a convenience store near a school lately knows that snacks on campus have grown a little thin lately. At a C-Store near a suburban Denver high school, the students line up in to be let into the retail business only in “controlled waves.”

The demand for sugary sodas and snacks off campus comes because they’ve been largely banned on campus already. Now the federal government has gotten into the act with 160 pages of regulations aimed to limited at what can be sold during school hours on campus in vending machines or stores.

It’s all being done under the USDA’s National School Lunch Program, which is telling more than 100,000 schools to either limit snack offerings on campus or lose your share of the $11 billion program.
But most school districts around the country have already been through at least one round of soda- and snack-limiting activities, causing most to think that complying with the new rules won’t be that difficult.
The new regulations (http://www.fns.usda.gov/cga/020113-snacks.pdf) are going to be subject of a 60-day comment period as soon as they are published in the Federal Register.

USDA is providing what it calls a “national baseline” for snacks in schools under the Healthy Hunger Free Kids Act of 2010, a measure supported by First Lady Michelle Obama to combat childhood obesity.
Nutrition officials are not going to deal with whatever might be sold during after school events or what parents put into bagged lunches.

School lunches have been a hot topic in recent months, as the USDA imposed new standards to encourage children to eat more fruits and vegetables. But the federally run program had to back off from initial calorie limits and local programs expressed concern about food waste and cost.

My son made a killing when he was a so/jr in high school. Selling hand and foot warmers via others, as he was in the sport being watched. He also sold hats and seat cushions, below the price of the parent association. He was cited twice and paid the fine. The profits were worth it.

Yes, he now claims to be a liberal. Go figure.

Marcus Aurelius
02-05-2013, 12:30 AM

I know about that. It was one school, and they apologized for it (second link below).

http://www.carolinajournal.com/exclusives/display_exclusive.html?id=8762

While the mother and grandmother thought the potato chips and lack of vegetable were what disqualified the lunch, a spokeswoman for the Division of Child Development said that should not have been a problem.

“With a turkey sandwich, that covers your protein, your grain, and if it had cheese on it, that’s the dairy,” said Jani Kozlowski, the fiscal and statutory policy manager for the division. “It sounds like the lunch itself would’ve met all of the standard.” The lunch has to include a fruit or vegetable, but not both, she said.

The state regulation reads:

“Sites must provide breakfast and/or snacks and lunch meeting USDA requirements during the regular school day. The partial/full cost of meals may be charged when families do not qualify for free/reduced price meals.

“When children bring their own food for meals and snacks to the center, if the food does not meet the specified nutritional requirements, the center must provide additional food necessary to meet those requirements.”

Still, Kozlowski said, the parents shouldn’t have been charged.

“The school may have interpreted [the rule] to mean they felt like the lunch wasn’t meeting the nutritional requirements and so they wanted the child to have the school lunch and then charged the parent,” she said. “It sounds like maybe a technical assistance need for that school.”

http://www.examiner.com/article/report-second-nc-mother-says-pre-schooler-s-lunch-rejected-by-school-officials

But Bob Barnes, assistant superintendent of curriculum and instruction, told McClatchy News Service (http://www2.nbc17.com/news/2012/feb/16/5/state-agent-says-hoke-county-pre-schoolers-lunch-ar-1937027/) on Thursday that a DHHS agent was present on Jan 30, and that agent did inspect six lunches, finding one that did not meet nutritional requirements.

"We are not the lunch bag police," Barnes said. "We would never intentionally place any of our school children in any type of embarrassing situation."

"This was a case of simple misunderstanding and miscommunication. To the extent that this child or this child's parents or family were in any way embarrassed by this situation, they have our sincere apology," he added.

"Because of miscommunication between a staff member and the child, the child went through the lunch line and returned to her seat with a complete school lunch, including chicken nuggets," the district said in a press release.

stuff happens.

red states rule
02-05-2013, 03:53 AM

Of course your child may have to get past the Food Police in some schools, and then we have the Nanny State Mayor Bloomberg in NYC mandating how much salt people can have in their food or the size of their soft drinks

Libs continue to confirm that they actually believe people are too stupid to make their own decisions therefore it up to libs to make those decisions for them

Nukeman
02-05-2013, 09:14 AM

This country does have a child obesity problem, this is the least the government should do.I highlighted the key word for you since YOU seem to miss the point. OPTION means there is more than one choice, as the govt has become more and more involved with this issue they have REMOVED choice with a standard. So if they want to provide a CHOICE that is fine but to remove everything else is not a CHOICE or OPTION!!!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-05-2013, 11:20 AM
I highlighted the key word for you since YOU seem to miss the point. OPTION means there is more than one choice, as the govt has become more and more involved with this issue they have REMOVED choice with a standard. So if they want to provide a CHOICE that is fine but to remove everything else is not a CHOICE or OPTION!!!

Perhaps you should highlight EVERY word for the bingster... ;)--TZS

red states rule
02-07-2013, 03:37 AM
Looks like the kids do not like the crap being served. This from the NYT in 2012

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/10/06/us/LUNCH1_span/LUNCH-articleLarge.jpg

They are high school students, and their complaint is about lunch — healthier, smaller and more expensive than ever.

The Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act (http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/governance/legislation/cnr_2010.htm) of 2010, which required public schools to follow new nutritional guidelines this academic year to receive extra federal lunch aid, has created a nationwide version of the age-old parental challenge: persuading children to eat what is good for them.

Because the lunches must now include fruits and vegetables, those who clamor for more cheese-laden nachos may find string beans and a peach cup instead. Because of limits on fat and sodium, some of those who crave French fries get baked sweet-potato wedges. Because of calorie restrictions, meat and carbohydrate portions are smaller. Gone is 2-percent chocolate milk, replaced by skim.

“Before, there was no taste and no flavor,” said Malik Barrows, a senior at Automotive High School in Brooklyn, who likes fruit but said his classmates threw away their mandatory helpings on the cafeteria floor. “Now there’s no taste, no flavor and it’s healthy, which makes it taste even worse.”

Students organized lunch strikes in a suburb of Pittsburgh, where in late August the hashtag “brownbagginit” was trending on (http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/neighborhoods-east/plum-students-take-to-twitter-to-protest-lunch-prices-choices-650995/)Twitter, and outside Milwaukee, where the Mukwonago High School principal, Shawn McNulty, said participation in the lunch program had fallen 70 percent.

“There is a reduction in nacho chips, there is a reduction in garlic bread, but there’s actually an increase in fruits and vegetables,” Mr. McNulty said. “That’s a tough sell for kids, and I would be grumbling, too, if I was 17 years old.”

In New Jersey, more than 1,200 people have joined a Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/435644169810435/?fref=ts) that urges Parsippany Hills High School students to boycott the school lunches. Despite the enticement of a Chinese-themed lunch a week ago Friday, the first day of the strike, only a few students bought anything from the cafeteria, according to the strike organizers.

The set lunch that cost $2.50 last year now costs $2.60. The cafeteria still offers pizza, French fries and chicken nuggets, but all of the servings have shrunk. And the packaged baby carrots and apples that each student must take before leaving the lunch line usually end up in the trash, said Brandon Faris, a boycott organizer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/06/nyregion/healthier-school-lunches-face-student-rejection.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Trinity
02-07-2013, 09:45 PM
and another reason why I yanked my kids out of the public school system and decided to homeschool....I am sick and tired of the government trying to tell me what is best for my children...considering I gave birth to them and know them better then anyone else.... that makes me the only person who knows what is best for my children.... and no my boy's are not obese, not even close, they are healthy and at a normal weight for their height. Government has no business in the public schools and until they find their way out, my kids will never go back.

aboutime
02-07-2013, 10:03 PM
and another reason why I yanked my kids out of the public school system and decided to homeschool....I am sick and tired of the government trying to tell me what is best for my children...considering I gave birth to them and know them better then anyone else.... that makes me the only person who knows what is best for my children.... and no my boy's are not obese, not even close, they are healthy and at a normal weight for their height. Government has no business in the public schools and until they find their way out, my kids will never go back.

Congratulations. So refreshing to finally hear from a Thinking, Concerned, Realistic, Caring American Parent.

Wish I had the power to do exactly the same for our five grandchildren, all of whom are in public surroundings, and endless govt. interference with the Educational process across the board.

bingster
02-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Of course your child may have to get past the Food Police in some schools, and then we have the Nanny State Mayor Bloomberg in NYC mandating how much salt people can have in their food or the size of their soft drinks

Libs continue to confirm that they actually believe people are too stupid to make their own decisions therefore it up to libs to make those decisions for them

Hey, I happen to be with you on the Bloomberg thing. He outlawed the Big Gulp.

Still, public schools should give healthy lunches. You want to feed them crap, feed them crap. This seems pretty simple. If you don't want your kid eating healthy food, you have that "freedom".

Robert A Whit
02-08-2013, 01:01 AM

See my thread about life in the soviet union, or was it the soviet union.

See, I hardly scratched the surface talking about the strangle hold governement has on us.

At one time government was to serve. Today, it runs like we are here to serve it.

red states rule
02-08-2013, 02:50 AM

Still, public schools should give healthy lunches. You want to feed them crap, feed them crap. This seems pretty simple. If you don't want your kid eating healthy food, you have that "freedom".

And I guess you missed the link to the NY Time showing the food stinks, the kids do not want to eat it,and the cost is higher

but hey - libs know what is best for all of us - just ask them

Trinity
02-09-2013, 12:08 PM

Healthy lunches.... yep they should be, I agree. However most of it they serve is garbage, and my kids won't touch it.

But I can promise that if the school had offered a fresh fruit bar with any kind of fruit imaginable, my boy's would be all over that. They LOVE fruit! But instead they were offered chicken nuggets, mozzarella sticks, pizza, hamburgers, and other breaded garbage. :coffee:

red states rule
02-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Healthy lunches.... yep they should be, I agree. However most of it they serve is garbage, and my kids won't touch it.

But I can promise that if the school had offered a fresh fruit bar with any kind of fruit imaginable, my boy's would be all over that. They LOVE fruit! But instead they were offered chicken nuggets, mozzarella sticks, pizza, hamburgers, and other breaded garbage. :coffee:

Nearly everytime the government sticks its nose into something they F it up. It is bad enough the government does a lousy job educating the kids = now they have to F up their lunch

But libs cannot resist trying to control another aspect of our lives and tell us it is for our own good