PDA

View Full Version : Stay At Home Husband, No Kids

Kathianne
02-06-2013, 09:57 PM
Sounds interesting? No kids.

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2013/02/i_m_a_married_guy_with_no_kids_and_i_cook_clean_an d_mend_call_me_the_stay.html

“What's your line of work?” It's a common conversation opener, especially toward someone like me who just six months ago moved from the other side of the country. The person asking has usually already heard about my wife and her great new job that brought us to town, so naturally it’s time to find out what I’m doing here. ... “I used to do architectural design,” I say, “but now, since the move, I'm the homemaker of the household.”

By contrast, I have self-identified as a homemaker first. Certainly, I see a need to channel my creative side into something at some point. But that feeling is pretty abstract. For the time being, I have my hands full getting better at meal-planning and mending: It actually feels the same to me as improving in my “profession.” But more than that, I find satisfaction twice over in making a good home—once for supporting my partner, and again for myself.

I admit, I'd find a 'stay at home wife' equally weird without kids.

I can and have made a case for keeping a mom or dad at home with more than 1 kid, economically and socially. This? To each their own.

tailfins
02-06-2013, 10:17 PM

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2013/02/i_m_a_married_guy_with_no_kids_and_i_cook_clean_an d_mend_call_me_the_stay.html

I admit, I'd find a 'stay at home wife' equally weird without kids.

I can and have made a case for keeping a mom or dad at home with more than 1 kid, economically and socially. This? To each their own.

They at least deserve a honeymoon. Mine enjoyed three months before becoming barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen.

fj1200
02-07-2013, 08:50 AM

And no mention of working on his golf game? :slap:

WiccanLiberal
02-07-2013, 02:44 PM
Sounds like it's working for this couple. Personally I am envious of anyone who can afford to let one partner stay at home.

cadet
02-07-2013, 03:23 PM
This is something my teacher used to call, "winning life's lottery."

Trigg
02-07-2013, 04:00 PM
I was a stay at home mom for 6 years, of course I had 3 kids under 4 and under with me at the time.

Sooooooo not relaxing. :laugh:

Kathianne
02-07-2013, 04:08 PM
I was a stay at home mom for 6 years, of course I had 3 kids under 4 and under with me at the time.

Sooooooo not relaxing. :laugh:

I'm certainly NOT putting down a 'stay at home Mom or Dad.' I was home with my 3 for 14 years. I don't get though someone without kids, not working. As someone said above, seems to be working for them, more power to them. I just think that's weird, whether male or female.

Trigg
02-07-2013, 04:14 PM
I'm certainly NOT putting down a 'stay at home Mom or Dad.' I was home with my 3 for 14 years. I don't get though someone without kids, not working. As someone said above, seems to be working for them, more power to them. I just think that's weird, whether male or female.

plenty of wealthy women do it. It is odd that it's a man but the article states it's only been 6 months and he does architectural design, whatever that is. So, maybe it the job situation is tough where he moved. Who knows.

tailfins
02-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Sounds like it's working for this couple. Personally I am envious of anyone who can afford to let one partner stay at home.

Affording is not an issue. My wife working is a sign of personal failure, not man enough to provide for my family.

Kathianne
02-07-2013, 04:23 PM
plenty of wealthy women do it. It is odd that it's a man but the article states it's only been 6 months and he does architectural design, whatever that is. So, maybe it the job situation is tough where he moved. Who knows.

True on that, but they aren't mending and cleaning, they're off to Jr. League and clubs with their friends.

Thunderknuckles
02-07-2013, 04:33 PM
It might work for that couple but human nature is working against them. Chances are that sooner or later his wife will lose respect for him being a home maker husband.

gabosaurus
02-07-2013, 04:40 PM
I could easily stay home all day, but what would I do? Sit around and watch TV? Post on message boards?
When my mom retired, she tried staying at home. She got bored out of her mind. Now she substitute teaches on occasion and volunteers in schools. She is much too active to not be doing anything. I am the same way.

tailfins
02-07-2013, 04:44 PM
I could easily stay home all day, but what would I do? Sit around and watch TV? Post on message boards?
When my mom retired, she tried staying at home. She got bored out of her mind. Now she substitute teaches on occasion and volunteers in schools. She is much too active to not be doing anything. I am the same way.

I guess it would depend on what you did with the money. It absolutely shouldn't be part of the family budget. Maybe you could treat the family to a vacation or something.

gabosaurus
02-07-2013, 04:52 PM
I guess it would depend on what you did with the money. It absolutely shouldn't be part of the family budget. Maybe you could treat the family to a vacation or something.

My husband and I have a joint bank account. We are also heavily invested. Together we make enough to live very comfortably in Orange County, which is not a low rent neighborhood. The taxes we pay are worth our higher standard of living.
We are foregoing vacation until the end of the year, when we will be going to Australia.

Robert A Whit
02-07-2013, 05:08 PM
They at least deserve a honeymoon. Mine enjoyed three months before becoming barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen.

I heard you made her wear only spikes during sex until she had the baby. Any truth to that?

Robert A Whit
02-07-2013, 05:15 PM

I take it by the time of the post, as well as you being in my time zone, you are posting while being paid to work. Best of both views it seems like to me.

A. you get to post. B. paid not to post, but you still post.

So, you do post on message boards. Even when not at home.

cadet
02-07-2013, 05:59 PM

It's a fancy word for civil engineer. Which is another fancy word for hole digger, with a degree!

Do some math, make sure it's perfect, dig a hole, fill it with dirt. Architectural design.

(at school they're known to be ONE step above the business majors, and DET is just above civil)

gabosaurus
02-07-2013, 06:25 PM
It's a fancy word for civil engineer. Which is another fancy word for hole digger, with a degree!

Do some math, make sure it's perfect, dig a hole, fill it with dirt. Architectural design.

(at school they're known to be ONE step above the business majors, and DET is just above civil)

Afraid you are wrong about that one, cadet. Architectural designers do the blueprints and supervise the building of business structures. I know this because my cousin and his wife are both in that business. They both clear six figures.
A young lady who immigrated here from rural Colombia and lived with my sister and her husband for three years is currently an architectural design major at the University of Texas at Arlington. After she graduates this spring, she will start out at $75,000 per year.
I doubt many "hole diggers" make that much out of college.

And yes, Robert, I do often post during school hours. Imagine that. :p

aboutime
02-07-2013, 10:26 PM
My husband and I have a joint bank account. We are also heavily invested. Together we make enough to live very comfortably in Orange County, which is not a low rent neighborhood. The taxes we pay are worth our higher standard of living.
We are foregoing vacation until the end of the year, when we will be going to Australia.

Gabby. GOOD FOR YOU. Do us all a favor and hook up with jafar. A FULL HOUSE couldn't beat the PAIR of you.