PDA

View Full Version : Tough Times for California Bashers

tailfins
02-07-2013, 02:23 PM
I'm not posting this because I agree with it. Rather to start a discussion like an annoying Freshman Poli Sci professor.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2013/02/07/tough_times_for_california_bashers_116944.html

Missileman
02-07-2013, 03:00 PM
I'm not posting this because I agree with it. Rather to start a discussion like an annoying Freshman Poli Sci professor.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2013/02/07/tough_times_for_california_bashers_116944.html

They abandoned the normal tax and spend policies and went for a tax and cut spending approach. I don't see how that's a vindication of the shit fiscal policies that got them into trouble in the first place.

fj1200
02-07-2013, 03:14 PM
They abandoned the normal tax and spend policies and went for a tax and cut spending approach. I don't see how that's a vindication of the shit fiscal policies that got them into trouble in the first place.

Classic austerity program, doomed to failure for several nations.

Marcus Aurelius
02-07-2013, 04:04 PM
One error I saw right away in that piece. CA was the 9th largest economy in 2011, not the 8th.
http://www.ccsce.com/PDF/Numbers-Sept-2012-CA-Economy-Rankings-2011.pdf

California was the world’s ninth-largest economy in 2011 as Brazil moved past California and into 6th place in the rankings.

As for the surplus, it's projected to be $36 million.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/02/07/news/economy/california-budget/ (http://money.cnn.com/2013/02/07/news/economy/california-budget/)

After paying off a shortfall from last year and setting aside funds for upcoming obligations, it's on track to end the year with a $36 million surplus.

By comparison, Wisconsin has a considerably smaller economy (21st of all states, compared to California's 1st), and they are looking at a $154.5 million surplus.
http://legis.wisconsin.gov/assembly/thiesfeldt/pressreleases/Pages/new%20budget%20projections.aspx

According to the Department of Administration larger-than-anticipated tax collections and better-than-expected personal income growth numbers took an upward climb to help account for the projected $154.5 million in surplus.

10.9% UE rate is still over the national average by a good amount.

aboutime
02-07-2013, 04:24 PM
The only people who are experiencing TOUGH TIMES FOR CALIFORNIA..are the people who must stay behind, and have no alternatives handy to get them out of the Golden State of Higher Taxes.

And naturally. Nobody living in California would DARE admit...They wish they lived somewhere else. That would go against the Grain of every Hollyweird, Liberal star who brags about being WEALTHY, and having no problem paying their High Taxes...while the rest of the citizens pick up the TAB before learning to speak SPANISH...and deny citizenship with the IRS.

Thunderknuckles
02-07-2013, 04:27 PM

I'll give Jerry Brown some credit. He actually had to go up against his own party to get cuts. Classic California Democrat strategy would to be to increase taxes to pay for increased spending. It's not all good news like his stupid push to build the High Speed rail line to nowhere but he's done a better job with the budget than both of his predecessors.

tailfins
02-07-2013, 04:28 PM
The only people who are experiencing TOUGH TIMES FOR CALIFORNIA..are the people who must stay behind, and have no alternatives handy to get them out of the Golden State of Higher Taxes.

And naturally. Nobody living in California would DARE admit...They wish they lived somewhere else. That would go against the Grain of every Hollyweird, Liberal star who brags about being WEALTHY, and having no problem paying their High Taxes...while the rest of the citizens pick up the TAB before learning to speak SPANISH...and deny citizenship with the IRS.

You forget Silicon Valley. For boat load of money, I would go. The boat load of money wouldn't be because California isn't that bad, but rather because I'm that good.

gabosaurus
02-07-2013, 04:32 PM
We native SoCals know why we live here. It is because we love the weather and the availability of everything we want. Plus, in my case, I am a Child of the Beach. To me, living more than a half hour from the beach is not acceptable.

I will think of you North East doubters when you are buried under snow this weekend. :cool:

Thunderknuckles
02-07-2013, 04:38 PM
We native SoCals know why we live here. It is because we love the weather and the availability of everything we want. Plus, in my case, I am a Child of the Beach. To me, living more than a half hour from the beach is not acceptable.

I will think of you North East doubters when you are buried under snow this weekend. :cool:
Well "Child of the Beach", you'll probably be inside this weekend as well due to the weather.
Granted, we only have to suffer under partially cloudy skies and temps under 60, but cut the North East some slack :laugh:

tailfins
02-07-2013, 04:39 PM

Excellent: Think of me cleaning the snow off my two brand new cars.

jimnyc
02-07-2013, 04:41 PM

You would think someone at the beach so often would have some bikini pictures to share with me. :(

gabosaurus
02-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Excellent: Think of me cleaning the snow off my two brand new cars.

I don't need a new car. Neither does my husband. My car is about 5 years old and still drives well.

Feel free to post pictures of you shoveling snow off your vehicles. I have never shoveled snow, nor do I ever intend to.
It is tough to vacuum sand out of your car.

aboutime
02-07-2013, 07:06 PM
I don't need a new car. Neither does my husband. My car is about 5 years old and still drives well.

Feel free to post pictures of you shoveling snow off your vehicles. I have never shoveled snow, nor do I ever intend to.
It is tough to vacuum sand out of your car.

Sand is the same as Kitty Litter, and the flies enjoy the picnics with the flea's.

Is that supposed to be some kind of Status symbol gabby? If so. Never heard of anyone bragging about dirt so well.

bingster
02-07-2013, 08:31 PM

Man, it was sooooooo cold today in California. What was it Gabby? 70 degrees? Ha Ha ha ha ha ha. I love it here!!!

:laugh: