PDA

View Full Version : Effing snow

jimnyc
02-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Supposed to get about an inch tomorrow followed by 5-8 tomorrow night. Already got the shovel and salt ready, and bought a few batches of firewood. I don't like to shovel. My lower back hurts after like 3 shovel fulls. My driveway sucks and is on an angle, so it slips real easy when trying to get out. Lots of salt!

The New England region - probably tailfins! - Northern CT and up - can all see very high amounts, up to and over 2 feet in some places!

WiccanLiberal
02-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Looks like the northeast is going to get slammed. Hope everyone is ready for it and stays warm.

WiccanLiberal
02-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Jimmy looks like you and I posted at the same tme. Feel free to combine the threads if you like.

Marcus Aurelius
02-07-2013, 02:56 PM
supposedly only 6-8 inches around here. New England area is gonna get pounded though.

Trigg
02-07-2013, 04:03 PM
don't worry, if your weather men are anything like ours. You'll get a light dusting after all the hoopla and maybe a little bit of wind.

Just run to the grocery, every time I do that the reports are wrong. :thumb:

tailfins
02-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Supposed to get about an inch tomorrow followed by 5-8 tomorrow night. Already got the shovel and salt ready, and bought a few batches of firewood. I don't like to shovel. My lower back hurts after like 3 shovel fulls. My driveway sucks and is on an angle, so it slips real easy when trying to get out. Lots of salt!

The New England region - probably tailfins! - Northern CT and up - can all see very high amounts, up to and over 2 feet in some places!

My boss told me to go home today and work from home tomorrow. I work in CT and live near Mount Monadnock, NH where we are expected to get 24+ inches.

mundame
02-07-2013, 04:47 PM
I shoulda gone to the feed store today, but I didn't......

We're hoping to slip in a trip tomorrow morning early. We'll see if that's in the middle of it all. We aren't supposed to get much depth, theoretically, but Marylanders are not good with ice...........

Or snow. AAAAAaaaaaaccccccckkk!!!! A SNOWFLAKE!!

tailfins
02-07-2013, 04:54 PM

We're hoping to slip in a trip tomorrow morning early. We'll see if that's in the middle of it all. We aren't supposed to get much depth, theoretically, but Marylanders are not good with ice...........

Not all Marylanders are created equal. You have your Baltimorons who should stick with the bus and you have your Frednecks from Frederick or even Hagerstown that have a modicum of self sufficiency.

jimnyc
02-07-2013, 04:55 PM

About 5 or 6 years ago I was staying at my brothers place down in Georgia. The weather was calling for a dusting of snow and possibly up to an inch. We went to Walmart the night before and you would have thought the end of the world was coming! Then it was even more hilarious when the snow came. At the harshest, it was no more than flakes dusting back and forth across the roads, and yet some people refused to drive, and those that did acted like it was a blizzard!

WiccanLiberal
02-07-2013, 06:08 PM
I remember being in the Texas /New Mexico area some years ago. I was visiting with a friend in Amarillo and drove over to Fort Sumner to visit with her mom on Thanksgiving. We went wandering around town in our shirtsleeves - temps in the 60's. We were supposed to drive back that night. One of the fuses was loose and her lights went out on the highway. No highway lights out there so we turned around and spent the night at her mom's place. The next morning we had 8 inches of snow. We had no problem driving back but everyone was completely thrown by the snow. They have no snow clearing equipment down there. Didn't really need it though. By that afternoon it was all melting into slush.

cadet
02-07-2013, 06:12 PM
well, at least here in my state i can sit in a comfortable 50 deg one day and in the negatives the next.
Yaaaay, lake affect....

so, wet and rainy and then winter wonderland. I get all the seasons in a week! and you guys have to wait an entire year! :laugh:

Little-Acorn
02-07-2013, 06:24 PM
What's "snow"? :dance:

And, remind me again why you guys live over there?

tailfins
02-07-2013, 06:36 PM
What's "snow"? :dance:

And, remind me again why you guys live over there?

High hourly rates and corp culture that allows creative freedom.

Little-Acorn
02-07-2013, 07:28 PM
High hourly rates and corp culture that allows creative freedom.

You may have a point about the culture that allows creative freedom.

Jobs and Wozniak started Apple Computer in their garage here, with nobody's help, which eventually created about a zillion jobs.

With govt zoning etc. laws getting tighter and tighter, doing that would be illegal today.

fj1200
02-08-2013, 05:16 AM
About 5 or 6 years ago I was staying at my brothers place down in Georgia. The weather was calling for a dusting of snow and possibly up to an inch. We went to Walmart the night before and you would have thought the end of the world was coming! Then it was even more hilarious when the snow came. At the harshest, it was no more than flakes dusting back and forth across the roads, and yet some people refused to drive, and those that did acted like it was a blizzard!

That's funny, and sad, because it's true.

tailfins
02-08-2013, 06:34 AM
Already white outside. They just now closed schools. Our town was actually going to try to have school today but changed their mind at the last minute.

Trigg
02-08-2013, 10:20 AM

lol Florida's the same way. Whenever it got below 60 people were walking around in parkas :laugh:.

It actually got so cold one year, I think it was around 1989 that the pipes froze, because everything is above ground and out in the open down there. People were going crazy and it only lasted maybe 2 days.

WiccanLiberal
02-08-2013, 10:56 AM
The forecast for my area originally had rain for the first part of the day then snow. The shify is moved up to within the next 2 hours a changeover to snow. Looks like we are getting more rather than less. Time to start my spaghetti sauce.

jimnyc
02-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Got about an inch this morning and schools are out already. 10-15 inches on it's way though.

glockmail
02-08-2013, 12:06 PM
I cleared 11" out of my driveway in the mountains last weekend. Tonight I expect to see 6" there and they're predicting gusts up to 65mph in the valleys, higher where my house is.

True what has been said about most of The South. Folks in the low country don't know how to drive. A predicted storm empties the supermarkets of all bread and milk.

jimnyc
02-08-2013, 12:09 PM
I cleared 11" out of my driveway in the mountains last weekend. Tonight I expect to see 6" there and they're predicting gusts up to 65mph in the valleys, higher where my house is.

True what has been said about most of The South. Folks in the low country don't know how to drive. A predicted storm empties the supermarkets of all bread and milk.

I'm off to stock up on essentials and goodies in a few minutes, probably too late though.

tailfins
02-08-2013, 12:13 PM
I'm off to stock up on essentials and goodies in a few minutes, probably too late though.

My wife is doing that right now. I asked the doughnut shop to park our good car in their parking lot so we don't get trapped. I have more to say, but will start a new thread.

jimnyc
02-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Here is forecast for my town until 4am tomorrow:

http://i47.tinypic.com/2uzxyme.jpg

red states rule
02-08-2013, 01:58 PM
http://mlblogsphilliesphollowers.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/funny-pictures-cat-with-invisible-snow-shovel1.jpg

jimnyc
02-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Starting to pick up pretty good here. My side street is covered but the main roads are still fairing well. My camera sucks for trying to capture falling snow, this is as good as it gets. I'll try tonight to in the midst of the blizzard.

http://i47.tinypic.com/erkhmw.jpg

gabosaurus
02-08-2013, 04:38 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4mrl_YBq7Mw/UNNr9-xHqBI/AAAAAAAAB-I/g9Jf_zM6nM0/s400/181851_10151168188901924_9295112_n.jpg

WiccanLiberal
02-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Good day for staying in. I have my home made red sauce in the slow cooker, a loaf of french bread to make garlic bread, and all my electronics charged up. The weather changed over completely about an hour and a half ago and the snow is falling heavy. I just took the dog out before it gets much deeper. She doesn't want to pee when the snow is too deep. The cats are all staring out the windows fascinated by the falling flakes which are HUGE right now. Guess I really did luck out taking my last few vacation days this week. (those are the days from last year - I reload my bank in a couple of months) Just hoping we don't lose power. LIPA is notoriously bad at meeting emergency situations. I heard on the news that there were already out of state emergency crews in the area and that National Grid had taken over the emergency storm planning. Let's hope we don't need to test the readiness. Hope everyone else in the storm path is staying warm and safe.

jimnyc
02-08-2013, 06:01 PM
It's earlier than what they're speaking of, but it looks like blizzard conditions out there now. The snow is real heavy right now and coming down sideways at times. It's gonna get messy real quick now, with a lot of drivers still out there on the roads. With it just getting dark now it'll be next to impossible to get video or photos, at least from me, as I don't know how! At least in the morning I can get some pictures before and after the shoveling.

fj1200
02-08-2013, 06:22 PM
It's earlier than what they're speaking of, but it looks like blizzard conditions out there now.

Bummer, wish I was up there to drive around in it.

Kathianne
02-09-2013, 02:24 AM
Good day for staying in. I have my home made red sauce in the slow cooker, a loaf of french bread to make garlic bread, and all my electronics charged up. The weather changed over completely about an hour and a half ago and the snow is falling heavy. I just took the dog out before it gets much deeper. She doesn't want to pee when the snow is too deep. The cats are all staring out the windows fascinated by the falling flakes which are HUGE right now. Guess I really did luck out taking my last few vacation days this week. (those are the days from last year - I reload my bank in a couple of months) Just hoping we don't lose power. LIPA is notoriously bad at meeting emergency situations. I heard on the news that there were already out of state emergency crews in the area and that National Grid had taken over the emergency storm planning. Let's hope we don't need to test the readiness. Hope everyone else in the storm path is staying warm and safe.

I was in 6th grade when 'The Blizzard' of '67 hit Chicago. Great times to be a kid, but what I really remember from the walk home from school, was the 'huge flakes!' Like doilies. Boy, those suckers mounted up on the ground!

Sitarro
02-09-2013, 03:21 AM
Damn it, I wish I was there, I love snow........ It's going to be a freezing 69 degrees here today.

red states rule
02-09-2013, 06:48 AM
Nothing here - just damn cold

40 miles north they got about 4 inches of snow

Voted4Reagan
02-09-2013, 07:09 AM
Nothing here - just damn cold

40 miles north they got about 4 inches of snow

28" Here

Global Warming my butt!!!

red states rule
02-09-2013, 07:12 AM
28" Here

Global Warming my butt!!!

http://www.politifake.org/image/political/0912/global-warming-protesters-funny-humor-climate-change-hoax-pr-political-poster-1260160570.jpg

jimnyc
02-09-2013, 11:37 AM
I was a little disappointed, not as much as I thought, but less to shovel at least. Somewhere around 10-12 inches I would say.

Our driveway, in the midst of shoveling, and a bit of the worst snow blower ever.

http://i48.tinypic.com/qy96w4.jpg

The tree on our front lawn buried by the weight

http://i48.tinypic.com/2e0vb6t.jpg

The township was finally on the ball, and most roads were cleared very early this morning, just a view from the top of our driveway

http://i46.tinypic.com/30t5rgp.jpg

The woman using the snow blower

http://i45.tinypic.com/2ui7ukz.jpg

What the woman is about to deal with, it's well over 2 feet where the plows pushed onto our driveway

http://i48.tinypic.com/2zznrc4.jpg

jimnyc
02-09-2013, 11:38 AM
And to compete with the monstrous yard that Darin has and the video he posted, here is me walking around my yard, or as far as my lazy ass was willing to walk! :lol:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wUlezm7fYJ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gabosaurus
02-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Holy Mother of God, how do you people survive all that snow. One of my friends in Massachusetts had 30 inches of snow in her yard. She responded by going out to walk her dog. I was stunned.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/naWbUSPKONk" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560">

</iframe>

jimnyc
02-09-2013, 12:55 PM
Holy Mother of God, how do you people survive all that snow. One of my friends in Massachusetts had 30 inches of snow in her yard. She responded by going out to walk her dog. I was stunned.

Years and years of practice! A few hours of pain from shoveling every year of course, but then we get to enjoy the snow!

You should have seen my Chihuahua this morning, that was hilarious. He followed Jerome (pug) out into the yard, as Jerome doesn't give a crap and is a mini-snowplow himself. But then Porter finished first and wanted to get the hell back inside. He looked like a black bunny rabbit hopping around trying to avoid the deep spots! :laugh:

Trigg
02-09-2013, 03:04 PM
doesn't look to bad at all. I thought you guys were going to really get buried :thumb:

red states rule
02-09-2013, 03:11 PM

Survive? My God Gabby we are talking about a snowstorm not an earthquake or tornado. All in all it is not all that bad since people listened, and stayed the hell off the roads and in their homes like they were told

tailfins
02-09-2013, 03:46 PM
I was a little disappointed, not as much as I thought, but less to shovel at least. Somewhere around 10-12 inches I would say.

Our driveway, in the midst of shoveling, and a bit of the worst snow blower ever.

The tree on our front lawn buried by the weight

The township was finally on the ball, and most roads were cleared very early this morning, just a view from the top of our driveway

The woman using the snow blower

What the woman is about to deal with, it's well over 2 feet where the plows pushed onto our driveway

That's right! Put her to work and tell her to make you some barbecued ribs when she's finished.

tailfins
02-09-2013, 03:49 PM

Pay me enough money and I will work just about anywhere even Siberia or even an armpit like California or Newark.

I don't care about pollution
I'm an air-conditioned gypsy
That's my solution
Watch the police and the tax man miss
Me
I'm mobile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxoO5yrabfc

red states rule
02-09-2013, 03:52 PM
Pay me enough money and I will work just about anywhere even Siberia or even an armpit like California or Newark.

Remember the obscene tax rates in CA and $5/gal for gas - so your price to work in CA would have to be astronomical

tailfins
02-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Remember the obscene tax rates in CA and $5/gal for gas - so your price to work in CA would have to be astronomical

I have a list of hourly rates in the back of my mind: Highest is CA & NY -> $100/per hour (NOT 99). Lowest: NH, FL, TX -> $45 (relo fee for FL, TX) I would do MA for $50, especially if it were a fixed term project with a good chance of layoff to collect MA unemployment at $700+ week to take a break. All others would be somewhere in the middle of those extremes. However any work from home day in NH is tax free for a MA project/employer.

jimnyc
02-09-2013, 04:29 PM
That's right! Put her to work and tell her to make you some barbecued ribs when she's finished.

She actually likes playing around with that crappy snowblower. What she didn't like, was me and the boy hitting her with snowballs while she did so! :lol:

She actually got off easy as I did the heavy lifting with the shovel. Now I'm looking at a $1300 snowblower at Sears. WTF? Why are these things so expensive? At least it has 6 speeds, and 2 for reverse. Just gotta start the sucker and steer it!

red states rule
02-09-2013, 04:37 PM
She actually likes playing around with that crappy snowblower. What she didn't like, was me and the boy hitting her with snowballs while she did so! :lol:

She actually got off easy as I did the heavy lifting with the shovel. Now I'm looking at a $1300 snowblower at Sears. WTF? Why are these things so expensive? At least it has 6 speeds, and 2 for reverse. Just gotta start the sucker and steer it!

Jim look to buy a snow blower in July. I suspect the price will be much lower

Buy online and maybe even get free shipping