PDA

View Full Version : Won 126 games in a row!!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-07-2013, 07:33 PM
http://www.democrattribune.com/story/1829343.html

Marked Tree girls basketball team won 126 games in a row in 1940s
Friday, March 23, 2012
By COREY CLAIRDAY DT News Staff
http://www.democrattribune.com/photos/16/35/58/1635585-L.jpgThe Marked Tree Indians girls basketball team of 1945 included, from left: Front -- Martha Payne, Marion Davis, Edith Ham, Billie Parker, Claudine Posey and Almeda Ham. Back -- Barbara Key (coach), Maybell Little, Druzilla Montgomery, Doris Ryals and Mildred Leggett.
(Courtesy Photo)

Claudine Posey was 14 years old when she joined the Marked Tree Indians girls basketball team in 1944. At the time, she had no idea she would be part of a team that would hit a four-year-long winning streak.During the time she played with the team, from 1944-1948, they won a total of 126 games in a row.
"I was joyful," Posey said. "We played hard and had a good coach, Kohn Bray. The gym was always full. There were people who came and sat in the same seat every game. They didn't have anyone playing, but they followed us everywhere we went."
Posey said the team knew they were doing great, but it didn't sink in that something special was going on until the third year.
"We just had a good time," she said. "We got to go to a lot of places. We went to Southaven and played all over Arkansas. And of course, we enjoyed winning."
Sportsmanship was very important to the team. Posey laughed as she talked about how rough the sport could get.
"We had rules to go by, and we went by them. Back then, you were taught sportsmanship. One time, I was taking the ball down the side, and a girl on the other team scratched my arm. I wanted to hit her with the basketball, but I didn't. My arm was bleeding, but the officials never did anything to her. I still have the scar to this day," Posey said.
Posey remembers the 1948 game against the Paragould Bulldogs that killed their streak as a tense one.
"That game was stressful," she said. "It was a tight game all the way through. We had to

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A bit before my time but these gals were really hot!! I remember most of them, when I was in my teens , they were older married women. Had two of them as my teachers when in elementary school. Great people too...
What a win streak--4 years!-Tyr