PDA

View Full Version : The Youth Unemployment Crisis: A Fix that Works and Pays for Itself

WiccanLiberal
02-10-2013, 10:49 AM
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/businessdesk/2013/02/the-youth-unemployment-crisis.html

"What if I told you that a U.S. public-private initiative could reduce youth unemployment, improve the transition from school-to-careers, upgrade skills, raise wages of young adults, strengthen a young worker's identity, increase U.S. productivity, achieve positive returns for employers and workers, and reduce government spending?
After you asked me what I've been smoking, you might think it another pie-in-the-sky scheme put forward by some airhead academic. In fact, the initiative I have in mind is feasible to implement. It addresses what may be the most pressing labor market issue at the moment, and in the coming years: no good jobs for young people. Most important, it has been well-tested and it demonstrably works.
So what is it? To expand apprenticeship training, expand it significantly enough to become a viable alternative for most young people and a common method of recruitment and training by employers."

We have had multiple sources telling us degrees are not the value we thought they were. From personal experience, I know that an academic degree is not the best path for all students. (My nephew is doing a 2 year hands on program that he may extend to a 4 year degree or not.) So is apprenticeship going to make a come back? It used to be the most common way to learn a new trade. We still see traces of the concept in some skilled professions with new workers mentored by more experienced employees. Seems like a double win. An inexperienced individual learns the skills needed, getting paid while doing so, and the company has the benefit of an employee trained to their specific standards. Add a contract that the person has to give the company a set term of employment after the apprenticeship and they are sure of getting the investment back.

Kathianne
02-10-2013, 11:38 AM
Fascinating and timely. I agree, apprenticeships have a long, successful record. Perhaps the most problematic hurdle would be the 'minimum wage,' though the author does address that when discussing costs to the 'master' and their recouping later when skills grow.

I've known that for the past few years high schools, particularly very successful high schools, have been identifying and discussing alternatives to university to students. Included are the military and vocational programs available at community colleges. They emphasize the skills developed and expected starting salaries and employment possibilities.

What I disagree with is the call for 'government funding' to push this. Not necessary. Instead it makes sense that a youth that signs up for apprenticeship has certain goals that must be met by certain times. If not, they are out. If they do so, they pick up additional responsibilities as they grow in skills, eventually their contributions will be worth more than the costs incurred. At the end, they are 'certified' as competent.

fj1200
02-10-2013, 05:41 PM
I've known that for the past few years high schools, particularly very successful high schools, have been identifying and discussing alternatives to university to students. Included are the military and vocational programs available at community colleges. They emphasize the skills developed and expected starting salaries and employment possibilities.

Excellent, it doesn't take new programs to leverage what already exists. High schools to identify alternatives and community colleges to facilitate where necessary. Even private firms, and dare I say local labor guilds, can take the initiative to identify future labor pools.