PDA

View Full Version : Nine dead in big Northeast storm. Ummm, this is news why?

Little-Acorn
02-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Nine dead in three states plus part of Canada. Certainly a tragedy.

But....

Please correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't that fewer than the number of people that normally die in those three states (including Boston, NYC, etc.) and that part of Canada, on a normal weekend WITHOUT snow?

----------------------------------------------

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/09/us/northeast-blizzard/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Northeast digs out after deadly blizzard

By Mary Snow, Dana Ford and David Ariosto, CNN
updated 10:13 PM EST, Sat February 9, 2013

New York (CNN) -- The worst of the storm has passed, but the recovery effort is just beginning.

A mammoth blizzard that dumped as much as 3 feet of snow in parts of the Northeast headed out to sea Saturday, as workers across New York and New England struggled to get airports, trains and highways back online.

The snowstorm, a product of two converging weather systems, is being blamed for at least nine deaths in three states and Canada.

Roads turn deadly

At least nine people were killed in accidents related to the storm -- five in Connecticut, according to the governor, two in Canada, one in New York and one in Massachusetts -- a 14-year-old Boston boy who was helping his father shovel snow.

tailfins
02-10-2013, 12:52 PM
The REAL news is no one died in New Hampshire or Vermont. So I guess it's a GOOD news story.

WiccanLiberal
02-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Unfortunately the news media caters to the public love for body totals. In any untoward occurrence, be it a storm, a traffic accident, or a building collapse, the public expects a body count. The media, be it print, radio, TV or internet is honoring the time-honored maxim "If it bleeds, it leads".

bingster
02-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Nine dead in three states plus part of Canada. Certainly a tragedy.

But....

Please correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't that fewer than the number of people that normally die in those three states (including Boston, NYC, etc.) and that part of Canada, on a normal weekend WITHOUT snow?

----------------------------------------------

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/09/us/northeast-blizzard/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Northeast digs out after deadly blizzard

By Mary Snow, Dana Ford and David Ariosto, CNN
updated 10:13 PM EST, Sat February 9, 2013

New York (CNN) -- The worst of the storm has passed, but the recovery effort is just beginning.

A mammoth blizzard that dumped as much as 3 feet of snow in parts of the Northeast headed out to sea Saturday, as workers across New York and New England struggled to get airports, trains and highways back online.

The snowstorm, a product of two converging weather systems, is being blamed for at least nine deaths in three states and Canada.

Roads turn deadly

At least nine people were killed in accidents related to the storm -- five in Connecticut, according to the governor, two in Canada, one in New York and one in Massachusetts -- a 14-year-old Boston boy who was helping his father shovel snow.

Seems weak, but think of all of the murdered single young white girl stories that occupy headlines for weeks. When you think of the hundreds of little girls who are murdered every day, I think those stories are silly, too.