PDA

View Full Version : Why does the media glorify Carnaval?

tailfins
02-11-2013, 11:48 AM
As some of you may know, Carnaval is currently in full swing.
It's just a cesspool of drugs, STDs, stench and death. If people take skis at least they can get exercise sliding on the vomit.

Voted4Reagan
02-11-2013, 11:54 AM
As some of you may know, Carnaval is currently in full swing.
It's just a cesspool of drugs, STDs, stench and death. If people take skis at least they can get exercise sliding on the vomit.

Do you say the same thing about Mardi Gras?

tailfins
02-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Do you say the same thing about Mardi Gras?

Not even close. The police are essentially inactive in Rio right now. Anything goes: In public and out in the open. Dead bodies are part of the cleanup.

gabosaurus
02-11-2013, 12:17 PM
My sister went to Mardi Gras once in New Orleans. Said it was a fairly pathetic excuse for wretched excess.
She has been invited to Carnival in Rio a few times but has been warned not to go.

jimnyc
02-11-2013, 12:28 PM
My sister went to Mardi Gras once in New Orleans. Said it was a fairly pathetic excuse for wretched excess.

And that's why I loved it so much! I was by myself though, so it was a bit odd walking solo, but they DEMAND you get drunk there! The famed "Hurricane" drink left me hating life for quite a spell.

tailfins
02-11-2013, 08:29 PM
She has been invited to Carnival in Rio a few times but has been warned not to go.

Once city even more tough than Rio for Carnaval is Recife. Rape is tolerated. Law enforcement has the attitude that it's part of the risk of attending. The advice among women who attend is make it clear you're not going to resist and likely won't get hurt. Rio is the drug supermarket venue. Heroine, cocaine, meth, and a bunch of stuff I never heard of is openly offered on the street. Again, law enforcement doesn't care. Someone wanting drugs wouldn't think twice about knifing someone for drug money.