PDA

View Full Version : Slowness, or is it me?

jimnyc
02-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Sometimes I click to come here, or a thread, or anything, and it may take 30-60 seconds to load. Then shortly thereafter it picks up and loads in one second again. But it goes back and forth with me like that. Usually a few times per day I see this slowdown.

Is it just me? I can have them move the site to a new server in the datacenter, but it would be a waste if it's just me experiencing this due to routing or such.

Anton Chigurh
02-15-2013, 01:20 PM
You can run performance and optimization tests on your site from many places in the world and on all the different browsers here:

http://www.webpagetest.org

Here's a test I just ran on yours, Fairfax Virginia with IE8:

http://www.webpagetest.org/result/130215_HA_NFT/

jimnyc
02-15-2013, 01:25 PM
You can run performance and optimization tests on your site from many places in the world and on all the different browsers here:

http://www.webpagetest.org

Here's a test I just ran on yours, Fairfax Virginia with IE8:

http://www.webpagetest.org/result/130215_HA_NFT/

Cool, bookmarked, thanks!

SassyLady
02-15-2013, 01:28 PM
I've having this problem for months. I have to open your site and then while it's trying to load I open another page and it seems to help it load faster. I don't think it's your site because I have this issue with every site I go to. I think it's my computer and I don't know how to fix. Nighttrain would always help me with computer problems and he's off being in love now.

jimnyc
02-15-2013, 01:30 PM
I've having this problem for months. I have to open your site and then while it's trying to load I open another page and it seems to help it load faster. I don't think it's your site because I have this issue with every site I go to. I think it's my computer and I don't know how to fix. Nighttrain would always help me with computer problems and he's off being in love now.

Just post here if you ever have ongoing issues, quite a few of us here have experience and can help you, happily. :)

Voted4Reagan
02-15-2013, 04:09 PM
seems ok to me

Robert A Whit
02-15-2013, 04:55 PM
Web Page Performance Test for
www.debatepolicy.com/forum.php (http://www.debatepolicy.com/forum.php)

Friday, February 15, 2013 2:02:03 PM

<tbody>

Document Complete
Fully Loaded

Load Time
First Byte
Start Render
DOM Elements
Time
Requests
Bytes In
Time
Requests
Bytes In

First View
5.570s
1.262s
2.348s
5.570s
328 KB
10.729s
365 KB

Repeat View
4.070s
0.817s
1.529s
4.070s
45 KB
4.070s
45 KB

</tbody>

Anton Chigurh
02-15-2013, 05:06 PM
It's the same test I posted, the Patrick Meenan model. And it grades out 86 out of 100, not bad at all for shared hosting.

Jim doesn't have a problem with speed and performance.

aboutime
02-15-2013, 06:38 PM
I fully understand some of you will ignore what I say here. So, to those who will read this, in reference to the SLOWNESS of the Internet in General lately.

Remember we here on Earth are now experiencing some very Severe Sunspot, Electronic storms that threaten the electrical grid around the world, as well as most Satellites used for Weather, Communications, and Military purposes.

Recent reports about Extra Sun activity has been everywhere. But generally. Most people pay little, if any attention to such warnings...then wonder why Strange things happen.

Slowness in this case, may be due to Servers that handle DEBATEPOLICY websites. But there is a real threat to the entire Communications world...due to the extreme sun storms that shoot electrical charges toward earth at Millions of Miles in speed. And the NORTHERN LIGHTS are expected to be more spectacular during this time.

If you choose not to take this seriously. Fine. But when you ask WHY things are happening. You can't say NOBODY told ya!

Anton Chigurh
02-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Knowing how our packets have to travel through many relays, satellites and data centers before they even reach the intended server, then all of the information it sends back has to travel as complex and convoluted of a route, it's a miracle to me we get page load times as fast as we do get them.

You are going to have times where pages load slow - ESPECIALLY on sites with shared hosting.

PostmodernProphet
02-15-2013, 07:08 PM
it must be slow, I just got a "thanks" on a post I made 2/17/2012.......

jimnyc
02-15-2013, 07:21 PM

Someone is stalking your posts! :lol:

Abbey Marie
02-15-2013, 08:38 PM

Lol, some people really think a while before thanking someone. :laugh2:

aboutime
02-15-2013, 08:50 PM
Lol, some people really think a while before thanking someone. :laugh2:

;)

logroller
02-15-2013, 09:49 PM
It's the same test I posted, the Patrick Meenan model. And it grades out 86 out of 100, not bad at all for shared hosting.

Jim doesn't have a problem with speed and performance.
Well, debatepolicy doesn't have a problem with speed and performance. Jim...well, that's open to interpretation. :poke:

Seriously though, the site loading drags all the time for me; I just figured its my network.:dunno: ill try that test maybe.

Drummond
02-15-2013, 10:06 PM
Sometimes I click to come here, or a thread, or anything, and it may take 30-60 seconds to load. Then shortly thereafter it picks up and loads in one second again. But it goes back and forth with me like that. Usually a few times per day I see this slowdown.

Is it just me? I can have them move the site to a new server in the datacenter, but it would be a waste if it's just me experiencing this due to routing or such.

I get that effect every so often on this site ... most usually, it happens early evening for me (remember the time difference ..). Most recently I've started to get only partial loadings of a page, and I have to repeat the reload once or twice more to fix the issue.

Anyway, with patience, the problem always seems fixable, so I'm never really concerned about it. Just one of those things ...

Anton Chigurh
02-15-2013, 10:34 PM
Well, debatepolicy doesn't have a problem with speed and performance. Jim...well, that's open to interpretation. :poke:

Seriously though, the site loading drags all the time for me; I just figured its my network.:dunno: ill try that test maybe.There's plenty of sites to test YOUR connection speed too. You can also run a traceroute from your command prompt, find out where the bottleneck is.