PDA

View Full Version : 68,000 almost forgotten warriors

Robert A Whit
02-16-2013, 01:56 PM
68,000 of our combat forces are in Afghanistan.

Yet the media barely mentions them.

When Bush was president, daily we were bombarded with reports, body counts and what seemed to be an outrage against war.

Suddenly all of that changed when Obama was elected.

We are no longer bombarded with wails over coffins. No longer read stories of wars not worth fighting.

No, the Media operates as if what Obama does is routine. More like being a librarian than a warrior.

Any comments?

I have given you 68,000 reasons to comment.

jimnyc
02-16-2013, 02:33 PM
The overwhelming majority of criticism came from liberal groups, liberal media, Democrat politicians.... They apparently don't care as much now. I guess a soldier dying on Obama's dime isn't worth mentioning for fear of making his leadership look bad.

aboutime
02-16-2013, 04:02 PM
Each of those more than 68,000 Americans in uniform WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN.

The day will come when Obama, and the Hypocrites in Congress from both parties will be reminded....

"It's political SUICIDE to Fool with the American Armed Forces. Active, Reserve, National Guard, and Retired."

If anyone thinks all of this will just FADE AWAY after they get home.

Think again.

It Ain't over till the FAT LADY SINGS....in this case...The Military VOTES...at home...not from oversea's.

darin
02-16-2013, 04:44 PM
name one of those 68,000. What are you doing, when you say they won't be forgotten? Nobody cares if you know them, or their names from reading online. Best thing to do is this: don't wait for the Media. Donate your money and time to organizations like USO, and Wounded Warrior. The little yellow ribbons don't mean shit, ultimately. Support the troops? Do ya? How. List how you're supporting them.

Do something people. Do it.

jimnyc
02-16-2013, 04:48 PM
name one of those 68,000. What are you doing, when you say they won't be forgotten? Nobody cares if you know them, or their names from reading online. Best thing to do is this: don't wait for the Media. Donate your money and time to organizations like USO, and Wounded Warrior. The little yellow ribbons don't mean shit, ultimately. Support the troops? Do ya? How. List how you're supporting them.

Ya know, that's true. I've donated a bit in the past to the USO, but I think it's time to do so again. It looks like the minimum is $25.00. Not much to help them out, IMO.

https://secure.uso.org/?sc=WEBDONATION

Or just go to the main page and then click on donate button. This is a GREAT organization.

http://www.uso.org/

darin
02-16-2013, 05:26 PM
Thousands and thousands of DoD Civilians in A'stan - and Probably like number of Contractors doing the gigantic and vital task of supporting our warfighters. Those folk benefit greatly from Service organizations like USO.

Thanks for stepping up, Jim.

aboutime
02-16-2013, 05:26 PM

dmp. My oldest son WAS ONE OF THOSE 68,000 a few years ago. He won't allow his friends to be forgotten, nor will HIS DAD.

We live in a Military area...the largest on the East Coast. None of us care what the Lying, Hypocrites in Media, or Government say.

We LIVE military every day. Thousands of families made up of spouses, children, friends, and fellow service members.

I agree about Yellow Ribbons. Which is why Supporting the Troops is much more than just SAYING IT....

Voted4Reagan
02-16-2013, 05:43 PM
I guess a soldier dying on Obama's dime isn't worth mentioning for fear of making his leadership look bad.

which of Obamas 60,000,000,000,000 dimes would that be on?

Kathianne
02-16-2013, 06:50 PM
My 'kids' are of an age when some of their friends and classmates enlisted in the years after 9/11. Two of my sons have friends that have served in Iraq/Afghanistan or both. They have friends that went onto West Point, Annapolis, and The Air Force Academy from high school. They are still in contact with them. They've not lost one of 'their best buddies,' but have lost several they were acquainted with, some more, some less. One of those 'lost' went to school with my sons, but they weren't close, I however got to know his mother pretty well, through my friend whose daughter is best friends with his sister. The mother didn't want her son to enlist, they fought about it before and even after. Now that he's been killed, she's having a very hard time of it. We've talked about it, it's a mix of guilt of not supporting him and anger that she couldn't make him choose differently. Here's some of those whom my family has had some interactions with:

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20120521/news/705219615/print/

Wheaton’s fallen native sonsArticle updated: 5/21/2012 6:38 PM
By Christopher Placek <!-- %Body% --> <!-- %Body$x("^.+$", "$0
", "r+m+g-")% --> <!-- %Body$x("^.+$", "$0
", "r+m+g-")x("^<(p|div|h\d+)([^>]*)?>(.+)</\1>
$", "<$1$2>$3</$1>", "r+m+g-")% --> <!-- save the body to sh_bodyParagraph --> <!-- wrap the line in paragraphs and make sure that any DIVS are outside the paragraph tags --> <!-- %sh_bodyParagraph$x("^\s*(<div[^>]*>)?(.+)(</div>)?\s*$", "$1$2
$3", "r+m+g-")V(sh_bodyParagraph)% --> <!-- wrap the line in
tags --> <!--%sh_bodyParagraph$x("^.+$", "$0
", "r+m+g-")V(sh_bodyParagraph)%--> <!-- look for block level elements, and on detection, remove the wrapping
tags --> <!-- look for leadins --> Army Spc. Samuel Watts is the fifth member of the armed services from Wheaton to die since the start of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The memory of Watts — and all of Wheaton’s fallen native sons — will be on the minds of attendees of the city’s Memorial Day parade, which begins at 10 a.m. Monday at Hale and Wesley, and proceeds to Wheaton Cemetery for a ceremony at 11 a.m.

Wheaton City Councilman Tom Mouhelis, a member of Wheaton VFW Post 2164 and an Air Force veteran who spent 30 years in the service, said it’s important to honor those who have given the ultimate sacrifice.

“They feel an obligation to give back to their country that gives them freedom,” he said.
The other Wheaton natives who have died in combat in Iraq and Afghanistan are:

Ÿ Marine Lance Cpl. Kevin E. Oratowski, 23, who was killed Aug. 18, 2010, by a roadside bomb in the Helmand province of Afghanistan during his first combat deployment. He was a 2005 graduate of Glenbard South High School. This is the young man I referred to above.

Ÿ Army Staff Sgt. Robert J. Miller, 24, who was killed during a Jan. 25, 2008, battle with Taliban forces in Barikowt, Afghanistan. Miller, a Medal of Honor recipient, was a 2002 graduate of Wheaton North High School. Obviously this young man has been a focal point at the high school, I sub there regularly. Students speak often of how inspirational he is. Most years this high school sends 3 or more students to the military academies.

Ÿ Army Capt. Kevin C. Landeck, 26, who died in Iraq on Feb. 2, 2007, when the Humvee he was riding in south of Baghdad hit a roadside bomb. He graduated from Wheaton Warrenville South High School in 1999. The library is dedicated to this fallen soldier. The school I sub at most frequently. Memorial Day is huge here, I've written about the luminarias and posters before. There is an 'Honors Case' for those that have served and are serving in the military, next to it is a case with write ups from the fallen.

Ÿ Marine Lance Cpl. Nicholas Larson, 19, who was killed during the U.S. assault on Fallujah, Iraq, on Nov. 9, 2004. He was a 2003 graduate of Wheaton North. Much like Wheaton-Warrenville South, the school has a display case for those serving and those fallen. Miller tends to take up a huge portion, but that is to be expected.

Last month, the Midwest Shelter for Homeless Veterans dedicated its second Wheaton facility at 111 N. West St. in honor of Miller. The original facility at 119 N. West St., which opened in 2007, was named in honor of Larson.

Robert A Whit
02-16-2013, 07:30 PM
I am so happy that those were the replies.

Thank all of you very much.

Jim, Stateside when I was in the Army, I can't recall seeing any USO shows but in Germany they had them.

More than that, the Army also had other entertainment that was live at our clubs.

I recall other than our USO performers, some group from England and they were pretty good.

Downtown after the show, I and some pals saw them sitting in a local bar and of course we tried to get to know the girls. Not much luck. Tell you the truth, that English accent they used was damned near as bad as if they were talking some other language.

revelarts
02-16-2013, 07:47 PM
And with the other help mentioned how about trying to elect candidates that are serious about not starting wars in foreign lands in general. And Not advocate for new foreign "wars" with Iran or start BS with new aficacom
And petitioning that congress and the president that he bring them home.
I still say, Bring them home.
but very few on the left or the right seems to take that message seriously.

darin
02-17-2013, 06:54 PM
^ Good points

Robert A Whit
02-22-2013, 01:38 PM
And with the other help mentioned how about trying to elect candidates that are serious about not starting wars in foreign lands in general. And Not advocate for new foreign "wars" with Iran or start BS with new aficacom
And petitioning that congress and the president that he bring them home.
I still say, Bring them home.
but very few on the left or the right seems to take that message seriously.

Been watching CSPAN as usual and groups of experts state that it won't be business as usual and that we are in an era where the military will actually be used for self defense instead of how it has been used for a very long time.

gabosaurus
02-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Who says they are forgotten? Each killed or wounded veteran is remembered in the media out here. Every returning veteran is celebrated.

Best way to remember the 68,000? Bring every one of them home. And don't send anymore back.

jimnyc
02-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Who says they are forgotten? Each killed or wounded veteran is remembered in the media out here. Every returning veteran is celebrated.

Best way to remember the 68,000? Bring every one of them home. And don't send anymore back.

I can only speak for the NY area. I very rarely hear about, unless something 'big' happens. We certainly don't see the non-stop protests and pictures of returning coffins. There used to be constant counts being made too, both of injuries/deaths and from both sides. It was spoon fed to us for a LONG time. You can find out a lot if willing to do a bit of legwork, but it's certainly not "attacked" and shoved in our faces like it was when your obsession was in office.

gabosaurus
02-22-2013, 05:06 PM
I can only speak for the NY area. I very rarely hear about, unless something 'big' happens. We certainly don't see the non-stop protests and pictures of returning coffins. There used to be constant counts being made too, both of injuries/deaths and from both sides. It was spoon fed to us for a LONG time. You can find out a lot if willing to do a bit of legwork, but it's certainly not "attacked" and shoved in our faces like it was when your obsession was in office.

Things are a lot when a war is started than when a war is winding down. You have to remember who started the war and who is trying to end it.
But since you are obviously feeling nostalgic, I dug this up for you.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJTSHMvE0QrEtNM5W9Spb9-LaT4xdTHFQxzi4v3wNzT3LV_xHy7A

Robert A Whit
02-22-2013, 05:08 PM
When Ike was president, I honestly don't recall them tearing him down. Truman had his share of problems, over the Korean War mostly. He caused a lot of hell when he forced steel companies to get back to work, pissing off unions. HST had a war to fight.

Kennedy grew in stature once he died.

Fast forward to Carter. Despite his sides claims, he really got fair treatment. Reagan for the most part did as well. GHW Bush I felt was fairly treated. I voted for him but when he flip flopped on taxes, that set me off. Perot was one of my option till the day he quit. I don't vote for quitters even if they come back to run. Clinton was treated with kid gloves by the press. GW Bush was not. Obama gets the kings treatment by the media. They actually act shocked that the congress is in the business of legislating rather than simply handing it all over to Obama.

jimnyc
02-22-2013, 05:09 PM
You have to remember who started the war and who is trying to end it.

Who started it and who is trying to end it - somehow changes how the war should be publicized, and how fallen soldiers are mentioned and remembered? And protested?

gabosaurus
02-22-2013, 05:11 PM
Who started it and who is trying to end it - somehow changes how the war should be publicized, and how fallen soldiers are mentioned and remembered? And protested?

Fallen soldiers have NEVER been protested. Only the idiotic leaders who sent them to be killed.

jimnyc
02-22-2013, 05:15 PM
Fallen soldiers have NEVER been protested. Only the idiotic leaders who sent them to be killed.

I said fallen soldiers mentioned and remembered, like it was 22x per day when Bush was in office. The protests were towards the war and those directing it. That's went silent, only because who is in office.

aboutime
02-22-2013, 06:55 PM

Really? Gabby?...... 4548 4549 4550