PDA

View Full Version : Warrantless, Annual Searches of Your Home

hjmick
02-18-2013, 05:51 PM
Forget police drones flying over your house. How about police coming inside, once a year, to have a look around?

As Orwellian as that sounds, it isn’t hypothetical. The notion of police home inspections was introduced in a bill last week in Olympia...
“They always say, we’ll never go house to house to take your guns away. But then you see this, and you have to wonder.”

That’s no gun-rights absolutist talking, but Lance Palmer, a Seattle trial lawyer and self-described liberal who brought the troubling Senate Bill 5737 to my attention. It’s the long-awaited assault-weapons ban, introduced last week by three Seattle Democrats...

“In order to continue to possess an assault weapon that was legally possessed on the effective date of this section, the person possessing shall ... safely and securely store the assault weapon. The sheriff of the county may, no more than once per year, conduct an inspection to ensure compliance with this subsection.”

In other words, come into homes without a warrant to poke around. Failure to comply could get you up to a year in jail.

“I’m a liberal Democrat — I’ve voted for only one Republican in my life,” Palmer told me. “But now I understand why my right-wing opponents worry about having to fight a government takeover...”

I spoke to two of the sponsors. One, Sen. Adam Kline, D-Seattle, a lawyer who typically is hyper-attuned to civil-liberties issues, said he did not know the bill authorized police searches because he had not read it closely before signing on...

Misstep in gun bill could defeat the effort | Local News | The Seattle Times (http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2020373291_westneat17xml.html)

They claim it was a "misstep," but what else would they say?

It strikes me as something they would put in the bill in hopes that no one would notice it. Hell, one of the sponsors barely even read the damn bill, a perfect example...

Kathianne
02-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Frightening.

Esox
02-18-2013, 06:25 PM
I can hear it now.

"But if you have nothing to hide..." :facepalm99:

jafar00
02-18-2013, 06:36 PM
It looks to me like the inspection is just to ensure the weapon is stored securely. I see nothing wrong with it. If you don't have such a weapon, they have no inspection to do anyway.

Kathianne
02-18-2013, 06:39 PM
It looks to me like the inspection is just to ensure the weapon is stored securely. I see nothing wrong with it. If you don't have such a weapon, they have no inspection to do anyway.

An example of cultural differences.

Esox
02-18-2013, 06:40 PM
It looks to me like the inspection is just to ensure the weapon is stored securely. I see nothing wrong with it. If you don't have such a weapon, they have no inspection to do anyway.Sure.

And no other possible legal infraction(s) on the premises will be noted and logged, for future possible enforcement actions. :rolleyes:

WiccanLiberal
02-18-2013, 06:42 PM
The only thing I have to say to this is :
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Esox
02-18-2013, 06:50 PM
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
Unless, of course, it's your banking records (IRS ans Patriot Act), roving cell wiretaps (ditto), Medical records (ObammyCare), you trying to get on an airliner (TSA), internet communications (Echelon and Carnivore), reputed roadside sobriety checks, random highway vehicle searches. The list goes on and on.

The 4th Amendment is dead.

aboutime
02-18-2013, 07:14 PM

But...we are all learning. Almost daily. How the Obama administration is ignoring, or intentionally avoiding the RIGHTS of WE THE PEOPLE. Look at the number of times Obama and Friends have already sidestepped, and avoided obeying the constitution.

Quoting any Constitutional Amendment means nothing to Obama, or Holder.

Nukeman
02-18-2013, 07:18 PM
It looks to me like the inspection is just to ensure the weapon is stored securely. I see nothing wrong with it. If you don't have such a weapon, they have no inspection to do anyway.See this is where you are wrong!!!!!!!!!!!! Today its an inspection, tomorrow it's a confiscation.. You and your ilk don't get the slippery slope you are treading on with this type of behavior.. When have YOU ever known the govt to give up anything its starts!!!:poke:

aboutime
02-18-2013, 07:25 PM
See this is where you are wrong!!!!!!!!!!!! Today its an inspection, tomorrow it's a confiscation.. You and your ilk don't get the slippery slope you are treading on with this type of behavior.. When have YOU ever known the govt to give up anything its starts!!!:poke:

Nukeman. You must be old enough to remember the expression about "A man's home is his castle".?

If someone like Obama, or someone in his administration, or congress is permitted to violate the constitution with such inspections. I do hope the INVADED CASTLE...has an owner there...armed, and willing to protect his property according to the 2nd Amendment.

PostmodernProphet
02-18-2013, 10:52 PM
scared me for a minute......I thought you said anal......

hjmick
02-18-2013, 11:06 PM
scared me for a minute......I thought you said anal......

Only is Massachusetts...

tailfins
02-19-2013, 12:07 AM
Only is Massachusetts...

And even there, only in P-Town.

red states rule
02-19-2013, 03:22 AM
This is so typical of the left and how they SLOWLY expand their power over the people; and they say it is for the common good

With Obama's reelection, the left is even more arrogant and more power hungry so for the next 4 years libs will go for broke to achieve their utopia dreams

and they have the US Constitution in their crosshairs

Marcus Aurelius
02-19-2013, 05:47 PM

How I store my weapons is nobody's business but mine.

aboutime
02-19-2013, 06:33 PM
How I store my weapons is nobody's business but mine.

Forget anything jafar says about us here in the USA. He lives in OZ, and everything down there is different for jafar. It's a safe place for him to hide.

jafar00
02-19-2013, 08:57 PM
Sure.

And no other possible legal infraction(s) on the premises will be noted and logged, for future possible enforcement actions. :rolleyes:

So, if you have assault weapons, you better make sure you are otherwise a good, law abiding citizen.

See this is where you are wrong!!!!!!!!!!!! Today its an inspection, tomorrow it's a confiscation.. You and your ilk don't get the slippery slope you are treading on with this type of behavior.. When have YOU ever known the govt to give up anything its starts!!!:poke:

Why do you need an assault weapon anyway? Isn't a good pistol enough for you?

aboutime
02-19-2013, 09:02 PM
So, if you have assault weapons, you better make sure you are otherwise a good, law abiding citizen.

In case some of you didn't see, or read my previous post. Here it is again....

Forget anything jafar says about us here in the USA. He lives in OZ, and everything down there is different for jafar. It's a safe place for him to hide.

Esox
02-19-2013, 11:51 PM

"Assault weapon" is a pejorative used by anti-gun zealots. Besides that, no civilian semi-automatic rifles have select fire for full auto, so the term isn't even intellectually honest.

Over and above that, I'm completely disinterested in your opinion of what I may or may not need. My rights are not contingent upon your assent.

Little-Acorn
02-20-2013, 12:36 AM

That passage in the gun bill was probably put in with the support of the video-camera lobby. Their sales will explode if this passes, as people seek to document in real time their refusals to let the cops enter their house without a warrant, on grounds that the warrantless search is forbidden by the 4th amendment whether the state likes it or not. And also so that those people can record what happens immediately after their refusal.

Nukeman
02-20-2013, 07:16 AM

Why do you need an assault weapon anyway? Isn't a good pistol enough for you?Mind telling me the definition of a "assault weapon. You do realize that the way they are classifying weapons a simple 22 with a rail and a magazine that holds anything more than 10 rounds is considered a "assault weapon". We aren't talking m16 full auto here we are talking about what the govt classifies as an assautl weapon. You just dont get that do you.

Hell why do you need a pistol those are used for one thing and that is to kill people... right???? I mean after all MOST deaths by firearms are somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-1 utilizing a handgun NOT a rifle !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marcus Aurelius
02-20-2013, 08:40 AM

look at that... the 'man' who said he would let his wife be raped or murdered by an intruder, rather than harm said intruder... telling someone else what they need to protect themselves.

Voted4Reagan
02-20-2013, 08:48 AM
PER CAPITA, you are more likely to be the victim of a Violent crime in Australia. Not the USA.

The Aussie gun ban has caused an increase in violent crimes all over Australia..

Yet Jafar does nothing and says nothing about it...

revelarts
02-20-2013, 08:49 AM
Why do you need free speech anyway...
why do you need to go to the mosques or churches anyway...
why do you need internet access anyway...
why do you need newspapers anyway...
why do you need a house anyway what's wrong with an apartment or the cell the gov't provides...
why do you need privacy anyway...
why do you need to grow your own food anyway...
why do you need to chose you own meds anyway...
why do you need to home school anyway...
why do you need to breath anyway, your going to die sooner or later...

PostmodernProphet
02-20-2013, 08:54 AM
Mind telling me the definition of a "assault weapon. You do realize that the way they are classifying weapons a simple 22 with a rail and a magazine that holds anything more than 10 rounds is considered a "assault weapon". We aren't talking m16 full auto here we are talking about what the govt classifies as an assautl weapon. You just dont get that do you.

Hell why do you need a pistol those are used for one thing and that is to kill people... right???? I mean after all MOST deaths by firearms are somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-1 utilizing a handgun NOT a rifle !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

do you realize how much harder it would be for the left to ban guns if they called them fluffy bunny weapons?.......

aboutime
02-20-2013, 04:58 PM
why do you need a house anyway what's wrong with an apartment or the cell the gov't provides...

why do you keep coming back to prove how out of touch you are with reality, rev?

jimnyc
02-20-2013, 05:05 PM

I won't always agree with Rev, but none of the above would truly surprise me anymore. The government wants to run and regulate every aspect of our lives, and a fair amount of our nation WANTS to be controlled to certain extents. Our government has already showed they aren't afraid to take bites at the constitution. And everyone takes it lightly, until it something YOU are invested in that they want to take away.

Kathianne
02-20-2013, 05:08 PM
I won't always agree with Rev, but none of the above would truly surprise me anymore. The government wants to run and regulate every aspect of our lives, and a fair amount of our nation WANTS to be controlled to certain extents. Our government has already showed they aren't afraid to take bites at the constitution. And everyone takes it lightly, until it something YOU are invested in that they want to take away.

A significant minority of the electorate is now so ignorant, they've no clue to their rights or why they are important. I fear that it's too late; pray that something changes in nanosecond, that makes fears moot.

Robert A Whit
02-20-2013, 06:23 PM
This is so typical of the left and how they SLOWLY expand their power over the people; and they say it is for the common good

With Obama's reelection, the left is even more arrogant and more power hungry so for the next 4 years libs will go for broke to achieve their utopia dreams

and they have the US Constitution in their crosshairs

Do you also get the feeling as if the left wingers are enormous octopus and that they first get one tentacle on us then another and then another? When do they intend to stop trying to defeat the bill of rights?

revelarts
02-20-2013, 06:35 PM
A significant minority of the electorate is now so ignorant, they've no clue to their rights or why they are important. I fear that it's too late; pray that something changes in nanosecond, that makes fears moot.
well, It didn't take a short time to get here so I've got the feeling that it's going to take decades, to roll back, if it happens at all.
But there could be a major move who knows? Stranger things have happened and more people see the problems now than they did 15 years ago.

red states rule
02-21-2013, 03:17 AM
well, It didn't take a short time to get here so I've got the feeling that it's going to take decades, to roll back, if it happens at all.
But there could be a major move who knows? Stranger things have happened and more people see the problems now than they did 15 years ago.

It will be hard with the Nanny State government taking over more and more of the country

Added to that you have the liberal media giving the Nanny State 24/7 support and attacking anyone who opposes it

After all this is for our own good right?

I never thought another Civil War could erupt again but damn I might see one before I cash in my chips if things do not change soon